Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Mike at Night: Wide Receiver recruiting notes to start the week

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike at Night: Wide Receiver recruiting notes to start the week

Mike Roach

— I've been told that sources expect 2023 four-star wide receiver Jaquaize Pettaway in Austin on the weekend of April 2. The Langham Creek star is a priority for the Longhorns as a dynamic receiving threat with legitimate verified speed and big playmaking ability. In his two years at Langham Creek, Pettaway put together numbers totaling in 1,798 yards and 16 touchdowns. Combine that with his 10.5 100-meter speed and he brings a dimension to the field few others do. Pettaway isn't able to make a lot of visits as he competes in multiple sports and works in his off time. We are still trying to confirm the trip through him, but we've had enough buzz from folks around him to move forward with reporting it.

— As Steve Wiltfong reported today, Arch Manning's camp confirmed he will be at Georgia and Texas in the next two weeks. The Georgia visit is instructive as the Bulldogs are still very much a player for him. This morning in The Stampede, I wrote that I'd be digging a little deeper on Arch as we had only heard of the Texas visit up until this point. While there seems to be a buzz around the internet that Manning is all but done to Texas, I still don't buy that as of right now. Texas will host him the week after Georgia, and if they somehow got him back the weekend after, it would be a better sign. We haven't confirmed anything like that at this point, so right now this just looks like two spring visits which was part of the plan all along. We will see how things look after he makes the trip.

— One guy I'm watching closely this spring as a potential early commit candidate is Dekaney wide receiver Jonah Wilson. The four-star prospect is headed to Austin March 26 to see Texas, and this is one where I think Texas could potentially shut it down in the spring. Wilson has been vocal about looking to commit early and building a class around him, and Texas is putting the pressure on. Brennan Marion worked quickly there and has several ties to people at Dekaney. Wilson is a big body with some intriguing athleticism and a lot of potential for development at the next level. I think we will have a much better read on his recruitment coming out of his visit.

How many WR's are we thinking for this class?  I figured the top 3 on the board in-state would be Cook, Pettaway, and Parker.

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

How many WR's are we thinking for this class?  I figured the top 3 on the board in-state would be Cook, Pettaway, and Parker.

Anything there with Jalen Hale? Never heard much between him and Texas. Just gonna assume he doesn’t like us

32 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Anything there with Jalen Hale? Never heard much between him and Texas. Just gonna assume he doesn’t like us

per the $9.95ers, Marion has smoothed over the issues he had with the previous WR coach here.  He's at least suppose to come visit and listen to our pitch now

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-football-recruiting-crystal-ball-longhorns-rueben-owens-arch-manning-andre-cojoe-lafayette-kaiuway/

Crappy news aggregator article, but this cracked me up:

This is the first 247Sports crystal ball prediction that has been entered for five-star quarterback Arch Manning. Although Geoffrey Ketchum isn’t known to be very accurate with his predictions, it’s certainly something to keep an eye on ahead of Manning’s visit to Austin next week.

No shit, huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, cafe society said:

Hypothetical.  If Owens signs with us, I would like an informed opinion on who would be the better running back 2 take:  Cameron Cook or Tre Wisner.  I'll hang up and listen.

Cook. Is he cool with a 2 RB class though? He's a legit RB1 at most schools.

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I missed A’Marion Peterson leaving us out of his Top 5. Damn, he’s who I wanted. 

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

His top five is terrible.

no kidding...it's a very, very strange top 5. guessing Bama is now #6

just reported a bama offer from Wiggins, so maybe they are recruiting him as a WR and not a RB?

also, of course ESPN doesn't have him listed, impacting his ranking

image.thumb.png.5fcf6ca2be734ddee8285c379d57ddce.png

Edited by NoName

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

He a buck or jack?

Good write up on him

Spoiler

I think Spencer is going to end up like Petersen did. I will never forget him putting on that OU hat and saying “Texas is good but if you want to win championships, you go to Oklahoma!” during the All-Star game. Fuck him for that. I hope every member of the 2005 team shows him what a proper championship ring looks like. He got a bag but nothing else

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ewreck10 said:

image.gif.6f6318419f3ee448a25b161ad811bf25.gif

smith-njigba is portaling here. probably another awesome all-american type on defense too. several, really. arch commits in the next day or two, then owens, cook, and a bunch of five stars. we win the next five national championships. quinn and arch are both 1/1s. sark dethrones saban as the greatest coach ever. a massive sinkhole opens in college station and sucks texas a&m and all of its students and staff and the entire city and all of its worthless inhabitants down into the pit of hell where they burn for all eternity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

smith-njigba is portaling here. probably another awesome all-american type on defense too. several, really. arch commits in the next day or two, then owens, cook, and a bunch of five stars. we win the next five national championships. quinn and arch are both 1/1s. sark dethrones saban as the greatest coach ever. a massive sinkhole opens in college station and sucks texas a&m and all of its students and staff and the entire city and all of its worthless inhabitants down into the pit of hell where they burn for all eternity. 

Quentin Johnston

• Hook 'Em 6

Gerry Offensive Line Board:

The Texas Longhorns will host the majority of the top offensive line targets on the board March 26. The strategy is pretty obvious. Get all the top offensive line targets in Austin the weekend of March 26 to spend time with No. 1 overall Arch Manning.

The 2022 cycle saw Kyle Flood sign the nations top offensive line haul headlined by On3 Consensus 5-stars Devon Campbell and Kelvin Banks. The 2023 target board includes four prospects in the latest update of the On300, with the opportunity to sign back-to-back strong groups to ensure the future of the position.

Six in state top targets

IOL Harris Sewell, Odessa (Texas) Permian

The On3 Consensus 4-star and No. 5 ranked IOL in the cycle is a maybe for March 26. Texas has been working from behind on this recruitment for months. The Longhorns have quietly become more confident in recent weeks of being in the thick of the race. Notre Dame, Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Clemson are the programs mentioned most as contenders.

OT/IOL Jaydon Chatman, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights

Inside Texas broke the news last week that the On3 Consensus 4-star will be on campus in Austin March 26 and April 2. That is certainly very positive news for Steve Sarkisian and staff. Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood was the first to offer the 6-foot-4, 287-pounder, and has built a very solid relationship. Chatman is fresh off a junior day visit to LSU. He spent the majority of the time with LSU offensive line coach Brad Davis, but did not have a one-on-one conversation with Brian Kelly. Spring and early summer visits to Oklahoma, Alabama and potentially Texas A&M are likely.

IOL TJ Shanahan, Austin (Texas) Westlake

The Orlando move-in last summer to Austin is a difficult prospect to get a read on, and that includes for college coaches. Texas is one of those that doesn’t have a great feel for where they are at, or if the On3 Consensus 4-star will make the short drive March 26. Miami is one schools that has been quietly ascending since the hire of Mario Cristobal. Should Alabama or Georgia make a real push, they are the favorites by a pair of people familiar with the recruitment. Texas A&M has also gained traction since attending junior day in late January. The Aggies lead the RPM for the 6-foot-4, 330-pounder.

IOL/OT Ian Reed, Austin (Texas) Vandegrift

The No. 292 ranked prospect in the On300 will be on campus March 26 weekend. The visit schedule for the athletic prospect revolves around his rugby season schedule. Reed made a visit to N.C. State earlier in the month having been in the Charlotte area for a rugby tournament. He has been to junior days at Texas and TCU. Trips to USC and California are likely late in the spring or early in the summer. Texas A&M stands a good chance to get him on campus. The Longhorns are all in on Reed as a prospect with offensive line coach Kyle Flood leading the way.

IOL Andre Cojoe, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview

The On3 Consensus 3-star would currently fall into the category of “most likely” to commit to Texas first among the six top in state targets. Cojoe has been a top target for Kyle Flood since being offered February 18 of 2021. Texas was the first school to offer the 6-foot-6, 334-pounder. TCU, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State are currently considered the main competition for the Longhorns. Cojoe will be on campus in Austin the weekend of March 26.

IOL Connor Stroh, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland

Stroh will be back on campus in Austin March 26. The Longhorns are part of a very busy spring visit schedule that includes Auburn this week, Florida and Florida State in early April, and Arkansas and Texas A&M also in April. The April 9 visit to Texas A&M will be key for those recruiting Stroh. The Aggies haven’t offered. If they do, they will shoot straight up the schools list. Both of Stroh’s parents attended Texas A&M. Connor told On3 Sunday at the Under Armour Camp in Dallas that an offer from Texas A&M doesn’t mean he will instantly commit. He has built a solid relationship with Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood.

Defensive linemen that project to OL

DL/OT Zalance Heard, Monroe (La.) Neville

The No. 15 ranked prospects in the On300 is working to schedule visits, that includes a return trip to Texas. Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis has built a solid relationship with the 6-foot-5.5, 295-pounder. Oklahoma State is making a strong push, but the SEC schools are expected to rule the day. An offer from Alabama or LSU would be the main threat to the competition. Heard continues to prefer defensive first, but is becoming more open to playing offensive tackle long term.

DL/IOL Markis Deal, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest

The On3 Consensus 4-star’s recruitment will play out a while. After making a visit to Texas in late January, he made a trip to Norman March 5. The visit list for the spring and early June includes Alabama, Florida State, USC, Oregon, Stanford and California. Trips to Texas A&M and LSU are also possibilities. The Longhorns are working to get the 6-foot-4, 285-pounder back on campus March 26 or April 2.

DL/OT Jaren Woods, La Grange (Texas) High

The No. 227 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus is scheduled to be in Austin April 2. Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech and Houston are other in state programs working to make a push.

Long shots out of state 

On3 Consensus 5-star No. 9 overall OT/IOL Francis Mauigoa, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy

On3 Consensus No. 393 overall IOL Knijeah Harris, Fort Pierce (Fla.) IMG Academy

On3 Consensus No. 104 overall OT Chase Bisontis, Ramsey (N.J.) Don Bosco Prep

On3 Consensus No. 218 overall OT Olaus Alinen, Windsor (Conn.) The Loomis Chaffee School