Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

I’m just glad Ole Miss is out. Some family pressure to go there, and I wouldn’t put it past some rich boosters to get a wild hair and offer Arch a low 8 figure deal. 

A LSU visit feels like politeness to the home state school/high school football politics. Howard just signed, and Kelly has an abysmal history of managing his QB Room. 

Texas has been fortunate thus far. The Mannings are way too smart to believe BoB’s bullshit, and Saban isn’t going to make a change at coordinator for one recruit. 

Smart’s QB development history would make Kelly blush. They haven’t had a QB pan out since Stafford. A long history of blue chip QB transfers and busts. I don’t think the Mannings would send Arch some place where he won’t be developed. 

Yes, we suck. But Sark has a much better QB History than our competition. The SEC move helps too. It would be unimaginable to have a Manning not play in the SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Owens is from El Campo. where there are strong aggy vibes all around. He probably doesn't know what a Lambo even is (unless one of those old farmers has an actual Lamborghini tractor). It's an easy place for bags to drop. That we've been in it this long is amazing, tbh. 

Every bit this. I’m from down the road and lived there. They are ate up with aggy in EC. Had a bunch tell me once they would root for Russia or ISIS over UT. They eat, drink and sleep aggy. And that’s just with their sisters. Tyson King was long ago, even though he has a jersey in Greek Bros.  The pressure to go to aggy for Owens is strong locally. And there are some people in town who have the mean$ to make $ure he knows he’$ wanted at C$. I couldn’t believe he committed the first time and I didn’t think it would last. Arch is the only one who will get him to UT.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Every bit this. I’m from down the road and lived there. They are ate up with aggy in EC. Had a bunch tell me once they would root for Russia or ISIS over UT. They eat, drink and sleep aggy. And that’s just with their sisters. Tyson King was long ago, even though he has a jersey in Greek Bros.  The pressure to go to aggy for Owens is strong locally. And there are some people in town who have the mean$ to make $ure he knows he’$ wanted at C$. I couldn’t believe he committed the first time and I didn’t think it would last. Arch is the only one who will get him to UT.

TY but I'm not sure even Arch will get it done, aggie will pay whatever they have to.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

Not true. According to that On3 update, he’s going to decide “either before the season or during the season or after the season”. Not sure how he can be more clear than that. 

that was a direct quote from arch and it was awesome. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

TY but I'm not sure even Arch will get it done, aggie will pay whatever they have to.

You are right. The only reason I say Arch can make it happen is because if the dollars are close maybe he makes the difference. They seem to have a good relationship. 

10 hours ago, ousux said:
17 hours ago, UncleBuck said:
Owens is from El Campo. where there are strong aggy vibes all around. He probably doesn't know what a Lambo even is (unless one of those old farmers has an actual Lamborghini tractor). It's an easy place for bags to drop. That we've been in it this long is amazing, tbh. 

If Arch commits to Texas the sheep humpers will have to raise the bag to ridiculous numbers.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I do wonder what the relationship is between Arch and Baxter. 

8 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I get that there are a bunch of aggy 'necks in El Campo....but why would a kid in Owens position give a single fuck about their thoughts on where he should play football?

Pressure from family? Sure.

Pressure from random folks around town?  GTFOH

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Tylerocks said:

I get that there are a bunch of aggy 'necks in El Campo....but why would a kid in Owens position give a single fuck about their thoughts on where he should play football?

Pressure from family? Sure.

Pressure from random folks around town?  GTFOH

He goes to school with kids of the "random folks around town."  The same random folks employ and pay his coaches. That stretch of HWY 59 from Wharton down to about Ganado is Aggy T-Shirt Fan Central, with a bunch of actual graduates thrown in the mix. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Owens. This isn't a Bijan/Zach Evans deal where the talent is similar but one is a headcase.

Owens is the better prospect. 

The thing that makes owens the choice is that he will go to a competitor is he doesn’t come here. Baxter would likely go to Miami or Florida.

Timelines

By: Eric, Gerry, and Justin

Things change in recruiting. Nothing binds recruits to a timeline, but Summer decisions will always be a thing as athletes both tire of the process, prepare for one last go-round in high school, and secure a spot in their preferred class.

Here are the timelines of UT’s obvious targets as we currently know them to be.

QB Arch Manning: June/July, but it could be “before the season, during the season, or after the season.” Great quote. Really, we’ll be on watch beginning after spring practice ends for him on May 20th. That isn’t to say he’s committing then, just that we’ll be paying closer attention once he’s not as focused on football. We do not believe his decision will extend into the season, but if it does, it means UT is the preferred school and he wants assurances last season’s losing streak was an aberration.

Of note here, we’re often asked if Texas were to miss on Arch, who would be a real option? We have mentioned Austin Novosad a handful of times. In a major coincidence, IT reached out to Novosad yesterday and heard AJ Milwee attended his practice. There wasn’t much communication and it was the first time Texas had shown any interest in some time. All signs point to this being diligence.

RB Rueben Owens: End of summer is possible, but it could be pushed back to the season. The current plan is to make 2-3 visits in June, and save the balance for the season if needed.

RB Cedric Baxter Jr.: Committing after official visits. It is still not known when those will be, but they could be this summer or dispersed out like Owens’. He named a top-five of Texas, Florida, Arkansas, Miami, and Texas A&M. Florida and Miami are the smart money for Baxter like UT and A&M are the smart money for Owens.

WR Jalen Brown: Late Summer, perhaps early season. He’s a numbers buster, expect Texas to stay on him throughout. Slight chance here.

WR Johntay Cook II: Summer. Texas has long been the team to beat.

WR Jaquaize Pettaway: June is possible, if not likely. Key will be making the Ohio State OV in June, so he will have seen Texas, Oklahoma, and Ohio State. Georgia OV is also possible. We like UT’s chances.

WR DeAndre Moore Jr.: Summer, for now. Texas is certainly in it with USC and [Tom Jackson voice] Lou-uh-ville.

WR Jalen Hale: Summer, for now. Ohio State and Alabama are tough competition but UT has made up ground thanks to Brennan Marion.

WR Jaden Greathouse: Early Summer for the Notre Dame lean.

WR Jonah Wilson: Timeline is likely dependent on Texas coaches pushing.

WR Rico Flores: July 4th. Marion went to go see him this spring but numbers make it difficult to see UT pushing too hard.

WR Kyle Parker: June is likely with Penn State looking good.

TE Lafayette Kaiuway: Tough read, which is likely why Texas offered Spencer Shannon. UNC seems like the team to beat. The Tar Heels are the only school with an official visit on the schedule.

TE Will Randle: May or June. Texas leads.

TE Spencer Shannon: June is possible, if not likely. He’ll take his Texas official visit June 10-12. He took his UCLA official visit this past weekend. Texas is the favorite.

OL Harris Sewell: Summer or early fall. UT is in a good spot.

OL Jaydon Chatman: Summer or early fall. UT is the team to beat. June 24-26 OV.

OL Ian Reed: Timeline is unknown, he seems to be in less of a hurry than others in the class, however he will take his Texas official visit June 24-26 which means the staff believes he could decide before the season.

OL Connor Stroh: June or July seems most likely (after OVs, per dad). Texas has a good shot thanks to Kyle Flood being so proactive, but it’s hard to know how much it means to be an A&M legacy and finally receiving that offer. June 24-26 OV.

OL Andre Cojoe: August, as of now. Texas is the team to beat. June 24-26 OV.

OL/DL Zalance Heard: Prior to senior season is expected. It’s a Texas and LSU battle barring an Alabama offer.

OL/DL Markis Deal: A decision before the season is preferred. The June trip out west and summer official visits will be key. The feeling last weekend was another positive one for the Longhorns’ chances.

DL David Hicks: Under Armour game in January. That’s good for Texas who is on the outside looking in.

DL Matayo Uiagalelei: December.

DL Ashton Porter: December

DL Ansel Nedore: Nedore is taking the process slow. Maybe too slow for some that have offered.

DL Sydir Mitchell: He just released a top-9 but deciding before the season is possible. He’ll take an official visit to Georgia in May. If the Bulldogs want him, it will be tough for other schools. He’ll take an official visit to UT June 24-26. Texas needs one giant plugger in the class.

DL My’Keil Gardner: August/September. Texas tapped the brakes while Oregon is full steam ahead.

DL Jaren Woods: Prior to senior season is expected.

DL Samu Taumanupepe: Doesn’t seem in a rush to decide, but prior to season is likely. Will be at Baylor Friday/Saturday.

DL Terrance Green: The current plan for the IT favorite is to list top schools before the season and then to decide during the season.

EDGE Desmond Umeozulu: He’s very hard to read even for coaches recruiting him. Texas is seen as a wild card for one school recruiting the cousin of 2022 signee Neto Umeozulu. We believe Texas is credibly in it but are unsure beyond that.

EDGE Colton Vasek: Summer, after official visits.

EDGE Braylan Shelby: Prior to senior season. The Longhorns and USC have emerged as the teams to beat. Shelby will take his UT official visit June 24-26.

EDGE Tausili Akana: Timeline is unknown. His volleyball playing sister is transferring from Nebraska and taking an official visit to Texas this week. Akana won’t accompany her but a Texas visit is in the works. He’ll be at USC this weekend.

LB Anthony Hill: Summer, for now. Texas versus A&M with Oklahoma hanging around.

LB Derion Gullette: Late summer or prior to senior season. Texas is getting a positive vibe right now. Texas A&M and Alabama are the competition.

DB/LB Jayven Anderson: Prior to senior season if he has the offers he desires.

DB/LB Hybrid Johnathan Hall: Summer, for now

CB Javien Toviano: Summer. Texas is in a trail position behind Georgia and A&M.

CB Malik Muhammad: Summer is most likely. Texas is showing good make-up speed here.

CB Jordan Matthews: July. Texas has the competition stacked.

CB Calvin Simpson-Hunt: Before the season. The Texas Tech commit has made a number of unofficial visits recently (Stanford, LSU, Oklahoma, TC). Schools that offer good academics will help their chances. That means Notre Dame and Texas can make things interesting. Texas needs to get him on campus ASAP.

S Derek Williams: December. Texas will be in this recruitment until the end, but maybe leading tier 2 behind LSU and Alabama in tier 1.

S Dalton Brooks: His visit schedule indicates an in-season decision, possibly as late as November. Aggies lead.

S Makari Vickers: Prior to senior season, if he feels comfortable. Texas is very much in this one.

S Tyler Turner: August/September. He’ll take his Texas official visit June 17-19. He was recently offered by Oregon and will be in Eugene this weekend.

S Jamaal Shaw: All depends on Texas.

15 hours ago, Ill said:

Rivals

Hide contents

Despite a 5-7 record in 2021, Texas has seen some momentum in this recruitment in the media because of Manning's relationship with Steve Sarkisian and quarterbacks coach AJ Milwee.

"It was Coach Sark's first year with a whole new roster that he hadn't recruited," Manning said. "It's definitely hard to go in and be successful. I'm looking forward to see what they can do this year, that's kind of my deciding factor there. A year under his belt to see what he can do now."

Imo the one kinda telling comment from all those interviews. Bet he'd be committed here if we hadn't totally shat the bed last season. 

So I guess we’re just going to be some type of Texas Tech on steroids in the SEC if we keep Sark. Bad ass, entertaining offenses with bad ass skill players, but shitty defense and probably go 8-5 to 10-3 each year. Ok, so like aggy I guess, but not boring AF. 

13 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

So I guess we’re just going to be some type of Texas Tech on steroids in the SEC if we keep Sark. Bad ass, entertaining offenses with bad ass skill players, but shitty defense and probably go 8-5 to 10-3 each year. Ok, so like aggy I guess, but not boring AF. 

Hahahahahahahahaha!!! WTF? With Seven Loss Steve, I would take 8-5/10-3 for a few years in the SEC before seeing him shitcanned, but I've got to hear your story about how you can just assume 8+ wins from this fucking guy, especially in that conference playing 9 conference games.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahahahahahahaha!!! WTF? With Seven Loss Steve, I would take 8-5/10-3 for a few years in the SEC before seeing him shitcanned, but I've got to hear your story about how you can just assume 8+ wins from this fucking guy, especially in that conference playing 9 conference games.

Sir, Bama is going to gargle our balls.  It is written.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

First we have to adopt the SEC scheduling philosophy.  I hear Incarnate Ward is looking for an opponent in 2026

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You and me right now.  7.5 wins.  Want some?

45 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Hmm, not sure.  I'd like to.

You 7.5 number is interesting.

@ULM, UTSA, Iowa St, TCU, and @Kansas are all most likely wins. 5-0

Alabama, Oklahoma (Dallas), @Oklahoma St are all probable losses. 5-3

West Virginia and @Texas Tech are toss-ups so 6-4.

@Kansas St and Baylor are tougher toss-ups so probably 6-6 or may be 7-5.

History says Texas will lose one and win one they should not.  Either way Texas goes 7-5 or 6-6 in the regular season.

So, my inquiry about including a bowl outcome is germane to the wager if Texas beats either Kansas St or Baylor. Of course, if Texas loses to both, then a bowl game would not affect the 7.5 line.

Texas could get 8 wins if they beat either Kansas St or Baylor; and win a bowl game.

Hence your 7.5 being an interesting line.

Edited by Speedway

6 minutes ago, Speedway said:

You 7.5 number is interesting.

@ULM, UTSA, Iowa St, TCU, and @Kansas are all most likely wins. 5-0

Alabama, Oklahoma (Dallas), @Oklahoma St are all probable losses. 5-3

West Virginia and @Texas Tech are toss-ups so 6-4.

@Kansas St and Baylor are tougher toss-ups so probably 6-6 or may be 7-5.

History says Texas will lose one and win one they should not.  Either way Texas goes 7-5 or 6-6 in the regular season.

So, my inquiry about including a bowl outcome is germane to the wager if Texas beats either Kansas St or Baylor. Of course, if Texas loses to both, then a bowl game would not affect the 7.5 line.

Texas could get 8 wins if they beat either Kansas St or Baylor; and win a bowl game.

Hence your 7.5 being an interesting line.

I've lost money every year on betting the over in Texas win totals, heck I think since Mack's last two years?