Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Did we back off?  Yeah he's visited a bunch and thought he was scheduled for an OV.  Should be noted he just recently was offered by Oregon and visited shortly after.

Yeah, Oregon seemed to come out of nowhere. We definitely don't seem to be lacking for safety targets so maybe we just aren't pushing as hard as those two schools.

Edited by Hookem2147

On 4/5/2022 at 2:24 PM, Codaxx said:

Safety (3)
Realistic candidates: Jamel Johnson (committed), Dalton Brooks, Derek Williams Jr., Jamaal Shaw, Tyler Turner, Anthony White

Johnson could also play nickel.

There isn’t an elite player who sets up particularly well for the staff, but they have an okay chance for Brooks and Williams. 

Shaw, Turner, and White are quality options who could absolutely play at Texas but it’s early in the cycle.

Cornerback (2)

I absolutely hate that. I would take a minimum of 3 CBs every year. That number shoudl be reversed at a minimum and 4 to 1 would make me happy. You can make a CB into a safety, you cant make a Safety into a CB. 

Re: Turner, this is the last IT thing I remember about him. Basically, he's good but not elite like Brooks and Williams.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Re: Turner, this is the last IT thing I remember about him. Basically, he's good but not elite like Brooks and Williams.

Yeah, I certainly am not holding my breath on Brooks. I'll also have to see it to believe it with a Louisiana kid like Williams. (edit: @Elmer_Fudd stole the words out of my mouth)

I liked Turner better than Shaw and White but if you combined one of the latter two with Johnson that isn't bad at all to set a floor and then go big game hunting for the 3rd spot. 

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, I certainly am not holding my breath on Brooks. I'll also have to see it to believe it with a Louisiana kid like Williams. 

I liked Turner better than Shaw and White but if you combined one of the latter two with Johnson that isn't bad at all to set a floor and then go big game hunting for the 3rd spot. 

I like Turner better than Brooks.  Didn't think he looked good on defense in the state game IMO.  Granted it was one game, but I didn't see a top 100 player in the nation at Safety.

• Hook 'Em 1

via IT

Spoiler

Arch Manning and Will Randle

These Five-Star Plus+ quarterback and his tight end teammate are expected to take their official visits to Texas on June 17-19. That’s the word going through recruit circles and it’s one we feel confident in reporting even if the adults we talk to are hesitant to discuss it.

Texas would have preferred the following weekend but that’s when the Manning Passing Academy is scheduled. The dead period will go into effect the Monday following that weekend, and other than the last weekend in July, there won’t be any other opportunity to take summer official visits.

Given that, it would probably be a safe assumption Arch will take official visits to Georgia and maybe Alabama before the UT visit but we haven’t heard that’s the case. 

We tried asking around about Georgia like we were Georgia reporters but continued to hear more of what we’d already heard and reported. What does Arch like about Georgia? Athens, head coach Kirby Smart, and offensive coordinator Todd Monken, who utilizes a pro-style offense and maximizes quarterbacks. Smart is viewed as a great program builder.

Those are solid arguments but can be combatted. Monken likely won’t be there much longer and for every walk-on they’ve developed, more highly rated quarterbacks have sat the bench or transferred.

Of course, they just won the national championship and Texas has more questions, they’re just of a different variety.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I like Turner better than Brooks.  Didn't think he looked good on defense in the state game IMO.  Granted it was one game, but I didn't see a top 100 player in the nation at Safety.

Agreed. Brooks is a terrible tackler. His film does not live up to his ranking.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

via IT

Hide contents

Arch Manning and Will Randle

These Five-Star Plus+ quarterback and his tight end teammate are expected to take their official visits to Texas on June 17-19. That’s the word going through recruit circles and it’s one we feel confident in reporting even if the adults we talk to are hesitant to discuss it.

Texas would have preferred the following weekend but that’s when the Manning Passing Academy is scheduled. The dead period will go into effect the Monday following that weekend, and other than the last weekend in July, there won’t be any other opportunity to take summer official visits.

Given that, it would probably be a safe assumption Arch will take official visits to Georgia and maybe Alabama before the UT visit but we haven’t heard that’s the case. 

We tried asking around about Georgia like we were Georgia reporters but continued to hear more of what we’d already heard and reported. What does Arch like about Georgia? Athens, head coach Kirby Smart, and offensive coordinator Todd Monken, who utilizes a pro-style offense and maximizes quarterbacks. Smart is viewed as a great program builder.

Those are solid arguments but can be combatted. Monken likely won’t be there much longer and for every walk-on they’ve developed, more highly rated quarterbacks have sat the bench or transferred.

Of course, they just won the national championship and Texas has more questions, they’re just of a different variety.

Wtf does that mean

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

To be clear Arch referred to Athens as a "college town." Austin is not a town. Maybe he likes towns, but he's also said he likes Austin.

Both Athens and Austin are cities.
And both are also referred to as "College Towns".

Arch Manning locks in three official visits
STEVE WILTFONG

(Regarding Texas:  "... I'm looking forward to seeing what they do this year. That's kind of my deciding factor there ... ")

Sucks Texas Tom Herman GIF - Sucks Texas Tom Herman Smile GIFs

Spoiler

STEVE WILTFONG

Now that his spring football camp is over, the Top247’s No. 1 prospect in New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman five-star quarterback Arch Manning can turn his attention back to recruiting. The blue-chipper now looks ahead to three official visits. 

Manning's family tells 247Sports they’ll be at Georgia the first weekend in June and then Alabama and Texas the weekends to follow. He has already visited each of those programs several times including returns this past spring and for a game last fall.

A three-year starter to date, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Manning has thrown for 6,307 yards and 81 touchdowns in his prep career with another 742 yards rushing and 19 more scores.

"He's worked really hard and had a great spring," Isidore Newman head coach Nelson Stewart said. "I'm so happy where the quarterback is and we have a great team. He's throwing it as well as he ever has."

Manning talked last week about each of these programs with Horns247 insider Mike Roach.

Regarding Georgia: "They have a really good staff," he said. "They just have athletes all over the place. Whether it's o-line or their entire defense. They had 15 guys drafted. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the quarterbacks this year and just asking some questions on my official visit."

Regarding Alabama: "Their quarterback play has been insane the past couple of years," he said. "With Bryce, Mac, Tua, and all those guys. There's really nothing bad about Alabama. It's a machine and really good guys over there. I just want to build the relationship a little bit more and see Tuscaloosa I guess one more time."

Regarding Texas: "Coach Sark's first year with a whole new roster was with a whole new roster and no one he recruited," he said. "It's definitely hard to go in and be successful. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do this year. That's kind of my deciding factor there and building a relationship with them. With a year under his belt, let's see what he can do now. "Coach Milwee is a great guy. I think it's really important to be close to your position coach."

247Sports National Analyst Cooper Petagna attended Manning's spring game on Friday.

"All in all, Manning’s performance was about as crisp as they come as the nation’s top passer performed the way we’ve come to expect when the bright lights are on," Petagna wrote. You can read the rest of his article here.

"Although it's important to take controlled practice settings with a grain of salt, Manning appeared to be in full control at every level as a passer on Friday."

Manning and Isidore Newman have reach the semifinals round of the state playoffs the last two seasons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Getafix said:

STEVE WILTFONG

(Regarding Texas:  "... I'm looking forward to seeing what they do this year. That's kind of my deciding factor there ... ")

Reveal hidden contents

STEVE WILTFONG

Now that his spring football camp is over, the Top247’s No. 1 prospect in New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman five-star quarterback Arch Manning can turn his attention back to recruiting. The blue-chipper now looks ahead to three official visits. 

Manning's family tells 247Sports they’ll be at Georgia the first weekend in June and then Alabama and Texas the weekends to follow. He has already visited each of those programs several times including returns this past spring and for a game last fall.

A three-year starter to date, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Manning has thrown for 6,307 yards and 81 touchdowns in his prep career with another 742 yards rushing and 19 more scores.

"He's worked really hard and had a great spring," Isidore Newman head coach Nelson Stewart said. "I'm so happy where the quarterback is and we have a great team. He's throwing it as well as he ever has."

Manning talked last week about each of these programs with Horns247 insider Mike Roach.

Regarding Georgia: "They have a really good staff," he said. "They just have athletes all over the place. Whether it's o-line or their entire defense. They had 15 guys drafted. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the quarterbacks this year and just asking some questions on my official visit."

Regarding Alabama: "Their quarterback play has been insane the past couple of years," he said. "With Bryce, Mac, Tua, and all those guys. There's really nothing bad about Alabama. It's a machine and really good guys over there. I just want to build the relationship a little bit more and see Tuscaloosa I guess one more time."

Regarding Texas: "Coach Sark's first year with a whole new roster was with a whole new roster and no one he recruited," he said. "It's definitely hard to go in and be successful. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do this year. That's kind of my deciding factor there and building a relationship with them. With a year under his belt, let's see what he can do now. "Coach Milwee is a great guy. I think it's really important to be close to your position coach."

247Sports National Analyst Cooper Petagna attended Manning's spring game on Friday.

"All in all, Manning’s performance was about as crisp as they come as the nation’s top passer performed the way we’ve come to expect when the bright lights are on," Petagna wrote. You can read the rest of his article here.

"Although it's important to take controlled practice settings with a grain of salt, Manning appeared to be in full control at every level as a passer on Friday."

Manning and Isidore Newman have reach the semifinals round of the state playoffs the last two seasons.

Well fuck

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

So does that mean he's not going to decide/announce until closer to signing day? 

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

STEVE WILTFONG

Reveal hidden contents

STEVE WILTFONG

Arch Manning is a bust