Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

I ventured over to the TCU 247 board a few days ago and one of the mods mentioned that Kiauway had some type of surgery in the last few months. Didn’t say what the surgery was but I wonder if that could have also played a role in us pressing pause on him.

Edited by Hookem2147

28 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Why the fuck is Cristobal trying to do so much in Texas this cycle? He isn't going to close any of these guys. 

They aren't really doing more in Texas than he was doing at Oregon - they have 35 offers out in Texas for 2023. At Oregon they made 36 in 2022, 29 in 2021, 38 in 2019, and 33 in 2018. By comparison Oregon offered only 17 on 2017, pre-Cristobal and there's no reason to think he won't close on several. They do carpet bomb under Cristobal (over 300 offers out so far and over 100 in Florida) so not all offers are the same but he's got some damn good recruiters on staff and they are going to continue being a constant presence in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, golfclap said:

They aren't really doing more in Texas than he was doing at Oregon - they have 35 offers out in Texas for 2023. At Oregon they made 36 in 2022, 29 in 2021, 38 in 2019, and 33 in 2018. By comparison Oregon offered only 17 on 2017, pre-Cristobal and there's no reason to think he won't close on several. They do carpet bomb under Cristobal (over 300 offers out so far and over 100 in Florida) so not all offers are the same but he's got some damn good recruiters on staff and they are going to continue being a constant presence in Texas. 

Yeah, but the PNW doesn't have a lot of quantity. He could recruit his area code and have a Top 15 program now at Miami. Of course, any coach worth a shit should be pulling recruits from Texas, Cali, and the Southeast.

The contenders take shape for the Top247's No. 1 RB in five star Rueben Owens
STEVE WILTFONG

Spoiler

The contenders take shape for the Top247's No. 1 RB in five star Rueben Owens
STEVE WILTFONG

El Campo (Texas) High five-star running back Rueben Owens is the No. 1 player at his position per both the Top247 and the 247Sports Composite and he has his first two official visits locked in.

Owens father tells 247Sports he’ll be at TCU the weekend of June 3 and Louisville the weekend of June 17.

The Horned Frogs have momentum on the recruiting trail right now sitting at No. 18 nationally per the 247Sports.

“TCU the RB coach (Anthony Jones, we’ve been dealing with Eron (Hodges) and Bryan Carrington since Eron was at Louisville and Bryan Carrington from Texas to USC,” the elder Owens said. “We stayed in contact with them and they’ve been telling us a lot of nice things and the good plan they have for little Rueben so we’re going to check it out.”

Louisville also has a lot of juice right now holding at No. 10 in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings.

“Rueben and me have been getting a bond with Mr. Steve Clarkson and Pierce and they’ve been telling us about Louisville and talking to the running backs coach (De’Rail Sims) and (Scott) Satterfield on a Zoom call about the scheme, they plan to use him at wide out, in the slot, in the backfield, maybe special teams, it sounded interesting and he wanted to check them out.”

Georgia was set to get a June official but with Owens now planning to announce a commitment later in the process, the defending National Champs will bring him in on an official later as well. Owens has been to Athens several times in the past.

“Coach (Dell) McGee has been solid from the beginning with my son and told him there’s a good chance they lose a three-down back and he can come in and produce at a high level,” the elder Owens said.

Texas and Texas A&M remain major players for Owens as well.

“Everything is still the same,” Owens said. “They’re basically the top right now, he just hasn’t set a date yet. In my eyes they’re the top two fighting.”

Florida could also get a visit soon. Alabama, Michigan State and LSU are three others still on the line.

As a junior Owens used his 10.68 speed in the 100m dash to rush for 2,989 yards and 46 touchdowns.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Why the fuck is Cristobal trying to do so much in Texas this cycle? He isn't going to close any of these guys. 

I would credit Charlie Strong, but I’m not sure he’s ever met a TX HS coach 

3 hours ago, Nope said:

I would credit Charlie Strong, but I’m not sure he’s ever met a TX HS coach 

Years ago, I was at the Yum Center with my son and we found some better seats to watch the game. About 5 minutes before halftime, Charlie Strong came up and told me we were in his seats. If I knew he was going to be as shitty of a coach as he was at Texas, I would have told him to beat it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Years ago, I was at the Yum Center with my son and we found some better seats to watch the game. About 5 minutes before halftime, Charlie Strong came up and told me we were in his seats. If I knew he was going to be as shitty of a coach as he was at Texas, I would have told him to beat it.

If it's any consolation, "beating it" is about all he did while he was at Texas.

6 hours ago, Bevo said:

Which was worse, the glare from his bald head or the glare from his Movado watch?

Rueben Owens is the Zach Evans recruitment without the off the field drama and issues.

He knows he is down to A&M and Texas but will string this out for as long as possible and randomly mention other schools.

One thing that has always given me pause is El Campo is about as A&M centric as you can get for a town.

Edited by Hookem2147

Wiltfong has done articles with Hicks, Hill, and Owens and shortly after put in aggy picks for all three of then.  IDK if these guys are saying aggy off the record, if it's a vibe Wiltfong gets in the interview, or just doing his usual aggy picks to appease that fan base.  He's put in several early aggy picks over the years that he eventually changes ( Collins, D. Jackson, ect. ).

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wiltfong has done articles with Hicks, Hill, and Owens and shortly after put in aggy picks for all three of then.  IDK if these guys are saying aggy off the record, if it's a vibe Wiltfong gets in the interview, or just doing his usual aggy picks to appease that fan base.  He's put in several early aggy picks over the years that he eventually changes ( Collins, D. Jackson, ect. ).

He has a source within the program again, he doesn't travel or go see anyone, he just relies on information from the coaches. If anything it should tell you that A&M is confident they can win the recruitment. But our coaches were confident on Mathis, and Addison, and many other guys that they missed on over the last year. 

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Rueben Owens is the Zach Evans recruitment without the off the field drama and issues.

He knows he is down to A&M and Texas but will string this out for as long as possible and randomly mention other schools.

One thing that has always given me pause is El Campo is about as A&M centric as you can get for a town.

I keep seeing that on here, and I'm not sure where it's coming from. I grew up in that area (tidehaven), and I always saw about a 50/50 split of Texas and atm.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Listen buddy; Lance Speck is from El Campo. If anyone can convince The Black Unicorn to come here, it’s Speck. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Owens is not the top TB on the board for Texas. There are a lot of red flags involving the guy, including having a close relative deeply involved with violent gang shit that is playing a role in his recruitment. I'm of the opinion that Texas is drifting on this one, and they might be very much okay with it. 

Comparing this recruitment to Evans isn't a bad analog, but I think there is a better one - Evan Stewart. Texas ended up bailing on the Evan Stewart recruitment way earlier than we all thought they did. They were happy to let Stewart think they were still interested by taking his calls and texts, largely because it became obvious that he was just using it to drive up the price on the aggies. This happened to ATM with several OOS recruits and other schools too. This may sound like fan fiction, but it's level one, fwiw. 

So that's my theory on this cycle with this guy. If Texas misses on another couple of targets, they're going to keep at Owens because it is regret-free for them in terms of if he comes here or goes to ATM for something absurd. They have a TB they already like a ton anyway. 

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. It doesn't necessarily surprise me that he isn't the top RB on the board (it seems like that might be Baxter). Like you said, we already have a good RB committed, Choice has shown he is a damn good recruiter and we will have the success of Bijan to sell. RB is also a position where it's not too difficult to backfill through the portal if needed a year or two down the road.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of his buddies is now involved with the personnel evaluation side of recruiting at ATM. That guy has shown up after this last class and now believes that ATM will get anybody they want. Wiltfong isn't any difference than the rest of us right now in that we have no idea whether this new source has a filter or a clue. Elko was a pretty reliable narrator for Wiltfong, but it's one thing to be the DC involved daily in hands on ways because he was a recruiting animal, and another altogether for a film room admin when it comes to having a finger on the pulse of a program's recruiting.

You have to figure he's busy because their personnel evaluation requires constant tracking of crypto and inflation to make sure offers reflect current financial reality.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of his buddies is now involved with the personnel evaluation side of recruiting at ATM. That guy has shown up after this last class and now believes that ATM will get anybody they want. Wiltfong isn't any difference than the rest of us right now in that we have no idea whether this new source has a filter or a clue. Elko was a pretty reliable narrator for Wiltfong, but it's one thing to be the DC involved daily in hands on ways because he was a recruiting animal, and another altogether for a film room admin when it comes to having a finger on the pulse of a program's recruiting.

...drinking your own kool aid is dangerous.

18 minutes ago, runthebone said:

You have to figure he's busy because their personnel evaluation requires constant tracking of crypto and inflation to make sure offers reflect current financial reality.

we are talking about Texas A&M, not Oregon!