Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

Funny you post this GIF because Wilson’s tape reminded me of 

Hide contents

Malcolm Epps.

well

his summer, Duce took visits to Arizona State, Notre Dame, Washington, OU, Clemson, Georgia and Alabama before his dazzling showing at The Opening, where, listed as a tight end, he measured in at 6-foot-6, 225 pounds, ran a 4.7-second 40-yard dash and vertical jumped 35.6 inches to go with a bunch of head-turning ...Jul 12, 2021

https://texashsfootball.com/numbers-cant-define-elite-spring-dekaney-te-malcolm-epps/

Flash back to the Nike The Opening regional in Houston on February 4. In what could also be considering an underwhelming testing effort, Epps recorded a 5.17 40-yard dash, 24.5-inch vertical leap and a total SPARQ score of 54.21, but it’s worth noting that the two-sport star was still amid basketball season and played a game the night before. Epps’ SPARQ score wasn’t the story of that event, though; his decommitment from Alabama was.

Edited by Codaxx
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

well

his summer, Duce took visits to Arizona State, Notre Dame, Washington, OU, Clemson, Georgia and Alabama before his dazzling showing at The Opening, where, listed as a tight end, he measured in at 6-foot-6, 225 pounds, ran a 4.7-second 40-yard dash and vertical jumped 35.6 inches to go with a bunch of head-turning ...Jul 12, 2021

https://texashsfootball.com/numbers-cant-define-elite-spring-dekaney-te-malcolm-epps/

Flash back to the Nike The Opening regional in Houston on February 4. In what could also be considering an underwhelming testing effort, Epps recorded a 5.17 40-yard dash, 24.5-inch vertical leap and a total SPARQ score of 54.21, but it’s worth noting that the two-sport star was still amid basketball season and played a game the night before. Epps’ SPARQ score wasn’t the story of that event, though; his decommitment from Alabama was.

He was talking about Wilson, not Robinson. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He was talking about Wilson, not Robinson. 

my bad, but the point will likely still hold. Epps was a low level athlete. Not saying Wilson is a 4.4 guy or a 35 inch vertical, but Ill take under 5.17  and above a 24.5 vertical with him also. Epps had 1 elite trait and that was height. Everything else was well below average. Unless Herman comes back I dont think we will ever see anything like Epps start at WR again for Texas. That said I am not a hug fan of Wilson either. 

Edited by Codaxx

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

my bad, but the point will likely still hold. Epps was a low level athlete. Not saying Wilson is a 4.4 guy or a 35 inch vertical, but Ill take under 5.17  and above a 24.5 vertical with him also. Epps had 1 elite trait and that was height. Everything else was well below average. Unless Herman comes back I dont think we will ever see anything like Epps start at WR again for Texas. That said I am not a hug fan of Wilson either. 

It was just a throwaway comment, but yes, Wilson not Duce. And I don’t see the fluidity with Wilson I do with other WR recruits we're allegedly pursuing. He does a decent job Mossing fools, though.

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

It was just a throwaway comment, but yes, Wilson not Duce. And I don’t see the fluidity with Wilson I do with other WR recruits we're allegedly pursuing. He does a decent job Mossing fools, though.

I am tired of Texas being slow. I have 0 desire to go back to the big WR days of Herman. Sark seems to be fixing the offensive of the slow gene, but the defense still needs major help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Allegedly doesn't like the city life and wants a more rural type college. Was up front with our staff about his feelings and parted ways.

fully expect someone to go to B/CS and give this as a reason - even though the B/CS Metro area is like 275,000 people.

• Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry Hamilton said this guy is coming in tomorrow and he expects us to offer

https://247sports.com/player/trevor-goosby-46127866/

yeah.. think it was hudson and roach that brought up his name as someone the staff could reach out too if the names on top of the board started to trend elsewhere

Just now, Thiefery said:

yeah.. think it was hudson and roach that brought up his name as someone the staff could reach out too if the names on top of the board started to trend elsewhere

Would make sense with Reed coming off the board. Goosby is pretty good though in his own right. Has a lot of upside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry Hamilton said this guy is coming in tomorrow and he expects us to offer

https://247sports.com/player/trevor-goosby-46127866/

What happened to Isaiah Robinson from Arlington? I know we offered way back when the old staff was here, but haven’t heard anything since the new staffs been here. I know he’s not exactly what they’re looking for, but he’s a tackle body 

Edited by OB3

41 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals top 100 in state.  None of the sites like Stroh.

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2023/texas

He looked uncomfortably big last year coming off an injury when he ballooned up to 350ish and didn't seem fully in sync with his body. Apparently he's down 15-20 pounds this offseason. He obviously doesn't have many issues in the run game with his size but it's going to take a while for him to be able to pass protect at the P5 level. He's also a guard all the way. Zero chance he sticks at tackle despite being 6'7.

22 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I know we don’t do negativity here, but this year’s OL class - both the guys we’re likely to land, and the ones we’re not - is pretty meh. 

Yep. We took 7 guys last year and at least 4 will likely be guards all the way (maybe 5 depending on how Neto fills out). So getting another good tackle like Chatman is the #1 priority and the other spots we can gamble on some upside (guys like Cojoe, Breland, etc)

Edited by Hookem2147

20 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Greathouse.. didn't think he would be ranked that high either..

gotta love Rivals

In his first 3 seasons, he has 180 catches, 3,100 yards, 43 TDs  against the highest level of competition in Texas.

I can't imagine too many other WRs ahead of him, if you put a premium on production.

4 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

In his first 3 seasons, he has 180 catches, 3,100 yards, 43 TDs  against the highest level of competition in Texas.

I can't imagine too many other WRs ahead of him, if you put a premium on production.

that's all fine and dandy but what are his SPARQ scores?!?!?!?

36 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Dont forget Westlake has played 46 games over that period, so that is 3.9 catches for 67 yards. He averaged 4.1 catches and 79.6 yards per game this year. Interesting player I just dont where he plays in college. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Recruiting Humidor

Spoiler

Arch Manning and Isidore Newman teammates

Arch Manning, the recruiting industry’s No. 1 overall recruit will take his official visit to Tuscaloosa this weekend despite Bama having a commitment from the highly rated Eli Holstein. That’s believed to be because the Mannings already told Nick Saban they’d visit, and let’s be honest, it’s doubtful they want the appearance of shying away from competition anyway.

It’s hard to be definitive in recruiting, but the chances of Manning ending up in Crimson are infinitesimal. The only thing we’re really watching here is, in whose spokes does Nick Saban try to throw his stick, SEC rival Georgia’s or new SEC entrant Texas’? One well-placed source opined he would try to hurt Texas because he doesn’t respect Georgia nearly as much offensively as he does Steve Sarkisian.

As you know, Manning really likes Georgia and the Bulldogs remain an option. However, there is affection beyond ‘really likes’ and we believe that’s where Texas sits.

If Texas pulls this recruitment off, Sarkisian is going to deserve and receive a lot of credit, but it will have been a team effort. Though he looks like one of the undercover FBI agents on a stakeout in Donnie Brasco, AJ Milwee is continually named as a major plus.

No surprise here but Texas remains all in on Newman tight end Will Randle. We haven’t broken out Milwee’s camcorder just yet but we’re watching a little closer.

One other player at Newman is gaining notice. Brett Bordelon, a 2025 offensive tackle, picked up a Georgia offer on Wednesday. He’s the younger brother of 2022 LSU signee Bo Bordelon. Their father, Ben, played at LSU and owns a big shipyard in Louisiana his grandfather founded. They’re an LSU family through and through, so when we hear Brett is more open to going out-of-state we take it with a tanker full of salt. That written, Brett will camp and take an unofficial visit to Texas on June 22-23.

OFFICIAL Visitors

Cedric Baxter, RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater:
Florida and Miami seemed to be the leaders near the end of spring ball. Now, Alabama is in the conversation. On3’s top-rated 2023 tailback is in Austin this weekend. Much of UT’s chances can be attributed to his strong relationship with UT running backs coach Tashard Choice.

Spencer Shannon, TE, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei:
Texas jumped into the fray less than two months ago and will now host Shannon for the second time after his UT spring game appearance. This will be the 6-foot-7, 230-pounder’s final official visit, he tells IT, after two other officials to Washington and UCLA. He hopes to have clarity for a decision over the next few weeks. If UT pushes, we like the staff’s chances.

Liona Lefau, LB, Kahuku (Hawaii): The 6-foot-1, 211 pound head-hunter named Texas in his top eight two months ago. His top group of schools include BYU, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, USC, and Washington. The Trojans and Ducks are thought to be UT’s top competition, with BYU as a sleeper in this recruitment.

One of IT’s contact within the tight-knit Hawaiian football community had this to say about whether or not Lefau would go beyond the West Coast for school: “I think with all the success of Hawaii players pushing east I definitely wouldn’t rule out Texas. The biggest issue is Hawaii players always miss home and their Ohana (family). And if the schools make them feel that connection they usually favor them.”

Big opportunity for Jake Langi.

UNOFFICIAL Visitors

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake:
The local product made a surprise visit to campus on Thursday in between official stops at Notre Dame and South Carolina. Greathouse had a great time and continues to build his relationship with Brennan Marion. He’s still set to see Texas officially on June 24-26. While Notre Dame might have the current lead, Texas isn’t submitting.

Jonah Wilson, WR, Spring (Texas) Dekaney:
After hanging out with Marion and a handful of the Texas coaches at the UH mega camp last week, Wilson told IT he’s looking at an official visit on June 24-26 if Dekaney's 7-on-7 team doesn’t qualify for the state tournament. That might’ve been too long to wait as the 6-foot-3, 210-pounder will make his way to Austin this weekend for an unofficial visit.

Tausili Akana, LB, Lehi (Utah) Skyridge:
The On3 four-star linebacker made his way through the Lone Star state this week with stops at Texas and Texas A&M. His sister, Keonilei Akana, who was named Hawaii player of the year in volleyball as a senior in high school, recently transferred from Nebraska to Texas. That certainly helps the Horns, who are fighting Oregon, Tennessee, and Texas A&M. UT needs him back in the official capacity to ensure they stay in the thick of this one.

Trevor Goosby, OT, Melissa (Texas):
The TCU offensive tackle commit is expected on campus today. Inside Texas believes he will be offered upon his arrival. There are serious ties to the University of Texas in the family tree. His mother attended Texas, as did a number of people on his mother’s side of the family. The father played football and basketball at North Texas. There is a lot of confidence on the Texas side here for an eventual flip. As always Inside Texas will monitor.

Hoops:

The month of June is big for Texas basketball recruiting, but September is going to be huge.

The first two weekends in September are going to be big for recruiting of bigs.

Official visitors expected in September:

Oklahoma City (Okla.) Del City C/PF Brandon Garrison will see Texas on September 10. The 6-foot-9, On3 Consensus four-star prospect with a terrific motor is also scheduled to make an unofficial in late June. June 28th was thrown out, but that is the date of the NBPATop100 camp in Orlando, so it will be before that.

Denver (Colo.) Accelerated Schools Baye Fall will make an official visit September 10. Fall is at Auburn this weekend. Arkansas is also a serious factor for the On3 Consensus five-star.

Duncanville (Texas) forward Ronald Holland is at Arkansas this weekend, and will follow with an official visit to Kentucky. Kentucky is expected to offer on the visit. Holland has already been to UCLA and Memphis. Texas is expected to get the last visit the first weekend in September, or September 10. As long as one key family member pushes close to home, Texas and Arkansas have the best shot for the On3 Consensus five-star. If not, Kentucky will certainly be a factor.

Texas is working to get soon-to-be On3 Consensus five-star and Indianapolis (Ind.) Cathedral power forward Xavier Booker in for a September visit. The fight for visits is tough with Duke, Kentucky, Ohio State and Notre Dame. Texas assistant Jerrance Howard has the Longhorns in the fight.

Carmichael (Calif.) Jesuit Andrej Stojakovic has made an official to Stanford and has UCLA next week. Texas is the third school that is expected to receive an official from the On3 Consensus four-star, likely the first weekend in September. Kentucky, UCONN and Virginia are also working to get officials. The 6-foot-6 smooth guard has taken a strong liking to Chris Beard. UCLA and Stanford will be tough to beat, in our opinion. But Texas is not out of the question.

June official and unofficial visitors in the 2023 class will include Woodland Hills (Calif.) Taft combo guard A.J. Johnson, North Richland Hills (Texas) Birdville guard/wing Gehrig Normand and Missouri City (Texas) Elkins combo guard Chris Johnson.

Johnson’s recruitment is blowing up with offers from USC, Tennessee, and Miami since the Pangos All-American Camp. Johnson is the training partner and “little brother” of Houston Rockets guard Jalen Green. His trainer lives in Houston and there is an appeal with Texas. A first official visit is scheduled for June 16-18 at Arizona State. USC, Texas, Louisville and possibly LSU are strong factors. A Kentucky offer is not out of the question either.

Norman will make official visits to Missouri June 13-15 and Wisconsin June 20-22. The near 6-foot-6 guard/wing is working to set up an official to Texas following Wisconsin. Texas is the heavy favorite.