Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Missed an opportunity for the old joke

currently a TE, but hopefully a WR by 28

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dMR2C09hmhA

Not completely sure that this is the best day on the calendar to post that video that I think I saw and laughed at in the ‘80s, but cringed at parts today, June 19th, 2022.

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good

+rep for correctly typingthanrather thanthen”, which I actually expect to see these days. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Not completely sure that this is the best day on the calendar to post that video that I think I saw and laughed at in the ‘80s, but cringed at parts today, June 19th, 2022.

+rep for correctly typingthanrather thanthen”, which I actually expect to see these days. 

lucky then good is also pretty nice. Best of both worlds

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 12:38 PM, Big Woodrows said:

Re: Arch...from an IT poster with a track record of posting sourced info:

"According to my source, the recruiting staff is expecting a silent commit on or right after the visit. The recruiting staff has been wrong before, so take it fwiw."

Worth noting that Gerry Hamilton "liked" this post as well.

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Nahlin said he’s almost at 90% confidence with Arch.

Nahlin and this coaching staff feeling confident, silent commitment... Well, that has never, ever gone sideways. Time to celebrate!

• Hook 'Em 1

Isidore Newman head coach Nelson Stewart discusses Arch Manning's summer visits and future of recruitment

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Isidore Newman head coach Nelson Stewart discusses Arch Manning's summer visits and future of recruitment

Mike Roach

Nelson Stewart has been a spokesman of sorts in the recruitment of Arch Manning.

The New Orleans (LA) Isidore Newman head coach is really filling whatever role he needs to for his players whether it be coach, mentor or traffic cop with the media looking to cover the recruitment of his star pupil. This past weekend, Manning and teammate Will Randle were both on official visits to Austin and Stewart said he tried to let them enjoy the experience. Randle enjoyed the experience enough to give Texas a commitment.

"I kind of let those guys be recruits," he said. "The only interaction I had with Arch was I texted, 'Happy Father's Day'. I put it in for Archie (Manning) and it went to Arch so I had to tell him that it was for his grandfather and not him. AJ (Milwee) checked in like he always does. Arch was locked in and asked a lot of questions. They are on their way back to New Orleans and it was a big day for Will."

Now the recruiting world awaits a decision from the nation's top player. Arch has been firm that there's never been a timeline in his recruitment and his father Cooper Manning's goal has been to get the official visits done and let his son make his decision.

"I don't think there is," he said. "I really think it is when he knows he'll know. I think that Coop's goal was to get all of the officials done and kind of reflect on where he is and what he wants to do. As his coach, I don't really see a timeline. I think his recruitment is unique. Arch is super smart and he takes a lot of notes. The schools he's been to, there hasn't been a bad visit. I think he's in a great spot. If it goes further it goes further. I don't think anyone is putting pressure or a timeline on him. Every school he was able to see and take notes and have good conversations. He also was able to be a kid and get recruited and take pictures and stuff like that. It's good to see it finish off with Texas. I know how much work they put in. I'll talk to him about it, but right now I just try to let it play out authentically."

From the beginning, Texas has been able to build a relationship with Manning that is incredibly tight. The duo of Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee have been strong on that front and have a record of quarterback development behind them.

"The relationships have been so criticial," he said. "Sark has just been so accessible. In his time, some of my best memories were the zooms with those guys. They've just formulated their own relationships. That's the biggest thing and if you look all over they are all great. Pete Golding at Alabama along with Bill O'Brien and Buster Faulkner and Kirby at Georgia have all formed their own relationships with him. Sark and AJ have just done a great job of communication and really showing him their vision. The body of work speaks for itself. I don't think anybody gets caught up in records the first year.

"I think the big thing is they are building something and nothing is going to be done impulsively. I just think it's the relationship piece and the QB expertise realm of things. I think AJ is a star. He's recruited his tail off and he's been through here a number of times. He really cares about the kid and just formulating the relationship. Sark is the same. They are really good coaches and really good people. Across the board, there's been no negative recruiting. They've all been positive and good experiences. For me personally, Sark is a little different in being able to talk to him.

"He's not just a great football coach, he's a great person who is universally respected and if you add in AJ, he's so loyal and such an extension of him. They've done everything the right way. They've worked incredibly hard and recruited and that's why you get to the fourth quarter of this thing and they are there. Texas has something I think really special with a great staff. It's not magic, it's just hard work and the way it's played out. I just give them all the credit."

With Manning's best friend Will Randle now committed, many assume Manning is soon to follow. Texas approached Randle as a completely separate recruitment, and Stewart feels both kids will make their own decision.

"I really believe this," he said. "They are two totally separate entities. Yeah, they are best friends and they've been playing together for seven years, but they are two totally separate recruitments. The boys are on captain's thread with me and we really don't talk about it. It's their own journey and Texas knew that. I remember our Zoom with Will's parents when Sark first offered and it was the first thing he said. When he went to camp he really earned it. He's an on-the-ball and off-the-ball tight end. He's incredibly athletic. He's an H-back and we put him at running back. He's a great edge rusher. I'd argue in my 24 years, he's a complete dominant two-way player as good as any I've personally ever coached. Obviously, it's a good story and they went together up there a lot, but everyone has been steadfast that it's the player's choice. It speaks volumes that Texas got Will. LSU and UVA and so many other schools were after him. Alabama was aggressively recruiting him. That's a credit to Jeff Banks and the relationship with him. I understand it, but I do think they are separate as they always have been."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sunday Huddle: More OV notes from the weekend

Hudson Standish

(Tl;dr: Osborne(+), Pettaway(+), Sydir Mitchell(-). You're welcome.)

Spoiler

Sunday Huddle: More OV notes from the weekend

Hudson Standish

— It will come as no surprise that 2023 Hewitt-Trussville defensive lineman Hunter Osborne was hosted by his former teammate and close friend Justice Finkley on his official visit. I was told that it looked like two old friends reconnecting and less like a host/recruit relationship. The two also spent time with Byron Murphy and I was told Osborne took note of how Finkley has already been able to make such an impact at Texas shortly after arriving.

A source told me that right now they’d slot Texas in the top group with Clemson and Tennessee. As I mentioned on the podcast I don’t get where people keep getting Florida buzz from, Osborne even publicly mentioned on a recent Instagram Q&A that the Gators weren’t a good fit for him and that they were out of his recruitment.

Another dynamic for Osborne that was going to be a major factor in his recruitment, especially on this visit, was his conversation with Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian. I was told the meeting with Sarkisian, in addition to a Friday night defensive staff talk in the team meeting went exceedingly well and might have been his favorite part of the trip in addition to his overall culture fit at the school.

Last summer Osborne told me that Steve Sarkisian was one of his favorite coaches in football and when I spoke with him after his recent Texas offer in May he point blank stated that for Texas to make up significant ground in his recruitment Sarkisian would need to prove he is a priority for the Longhorns. Bo Davis and Sark did exactly that on the visit and now Texas is seriously in the mix for one of the nation’s best defensive lineman.

Osborne will take an official visit to Tennessee next week and I was told that the Alabama native is eyeing August 25th for a potential commitment date.

— I’ve mentioned a couple times that 2023 Langham Creek four-star wide receiver Jaquaize Pettaway would eventually come down to a Texas vs. Oklahoma battle and I heard from a source today that Ohio State is not truly being considered anymore by Pettaway.

The only other intriguing note I’ve heard on Pettaway is that he had a really productive conversation with multiple members of the team at the close of his visit that centered around comparing the potential Texas QB room vs. Oklahoma’s. We’re still digging for more intel on the elite Houston area wideout.

One final note I got on 2023 Bergen Catholic (NJ) DT Sydir Mitchell was that even though Texas felt like they put their best foot forward on the visit it wouldn’t be enough to beat out Georgia and Texas A&M in the 6-foot-5, 330-pounders recruitment. The massive defensive anchor did seem to genuinely enjoy his time in Austin so we’ll continue to monitor, but for the time being I’m fading the Horns’ chances.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Nahlin is as confident as I’ve seen him since Banks pt 1 and Denver Harris. He better not strike out because I honestly don’t know how he survives if this is bad intel.

I could be wrong but on both of those he was out on a limb and everyone else said other schools. Seems like everyone agrees on this recruitment so far

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Nahlin is as confident as I’ve seen him since Banks pt 1 and Denver Harris. He better not strike out because I honestly don’t know how he survives if this is bad intel.

What do you think would happen?  In that scenario, would you expect so many subscribers to leave, that their business would be crippled?

Any examples of something like that happening?

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

What do you think would happen?  In that scenario, would you expect so many subscribers to leave, that their business would be crippled?

Any examples of something like that happening?

In a business that thrives on ones credibility— especially in a market with many options, strike three here could be a death blow. This is an incredibly high profile national recruitment with so many eyes on what he’s reporting.