Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

13 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

In a business that thrives on ones credibility— especially in a market with many options, strike three here could be a death blow. 

It survives on the rabid fan’s need to be fed information- true of not. If Arch drives to Austin, takes a shit on the midfield logo and signs with Georgia while Nahlin calls him a silent it won’t cost IT one single subscriber. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

It's like being a meteorologist. If you're wrong, you blame the NWS for providing bad data. But when you somehow luck out and nail the forecast, you spend weeks bragging about how you and your "storm team" are the real weather wizards. It's an endless spin cycle, and there's always an out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

It's like being a meteorologist. If you're wrong, you blame the NWS for providing bad data. But when you somehow luck out and nail the forecast, you spend weeks bragging about how you and your "storm team" are the real weather wizards. It's an endless spin cycle, and there's always an out. 

I've always thought it would be nice to have a job with as little accountability as a weatherman.

On the other hand, I would probably make a shitload less money. 

(Full disclosure:  not a male nurse)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

What do you think would happen?  In that scenario, would you expect so many subscribers to leave, that their business would be crippled?

Any examples of something like that happening?

How much did 0-16 contribute to the downfall of toilet smurf? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

The meteorologists work for the National Weather Service, the ones you see on TV are "weather personalities."

Who are you going to trust? These people?

Hottest American Weather Girls - YouTubeThe sexiest weather girls in the world - Daily StarThe sexiest weather girls in the world - Daily Star

Or these people?

US National Weather Service Indianapolis Indiana - Hello, everyone, Joe  here, meteorologist with NWS Indianapolis. This thread will serve as our  question and answer session from 5 to 7 pm. Let's hearChicago Meteorologist-In-Charge RetirementPredicting The Weather At The National Weather Service Melbourne | 90.7 WMFE

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

The meteorologists work for the National Weather Service, the ones you see on TV are "weather personalities."

Hottest American Weather Girls - YouTubeThe sexiest weather girls in the world - Daily StarThe sexiest weather girls in the world - Daily Star

Or these people?

US National Weather Service Indianapolis Indiana - Hello, everyone, Joe  here, meteorologist with NWS Indianapolis. This thread will serve as our  question and answer session from 5 to 7 pm. Let's hearChicago Meteorologist-In-Charge RetirementPredicting The Weather At The National Weather Service Melbourne | 90.7 WMFE

Always trust the bleach blonds. They never lie.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Or these people?

US National Weather Service Indianapolis Indiana - Hello, everyone, Joe  here, meteorologist with NWS Indianapolis. This thread will serve as our  question and answer session from 5 to 7 pm. Let's hearChicago Meteorologist-In-Charge Retirement

Yeah, true meteorologists like Bob Rose at LCRA can have a hard time as TV weathermen. Too much actual information. All steak, no sizzle. 

I used to know one of the on-air folks at TWC. Believe it or not, they had meteorology degrees. They're no longer at TWC because they didn't get to use them there. Now it's about "waking up with Al" and making it look hard to keep your footing in a 30 mph crosswind. Those folks remind me of EJ Holland tweeting about his "coffee." 

Edited by Gut Wagon

8 hours ago, runthebone said:

I've always thought it would be nice to have a job with as little accountability as a weatherman.

On the other hand, I would probably make a shitload less money. 

(Full disclosure:  not a male nurse)

Serious Biy GIF

19 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Better yet, he could have his agent take care of his social media to build his brand while he maintains his anonymity.

Hell all Manning need do is win.  No amount of manager "brand building" on instagram can add up to the brand building of getting Texas "back."  There will be a tsunami of positive publicity, and an indelible brand will be built.  All it takes is winning.  Typing shit on insta, is just some sort of foreplay.  

16 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Hell all Manning need do is win.  No amount of manager "brand building" on instagram can add up to the brand building of getting Texas "back."  There will be a tsunami of positive publicity, and an indelible brand will be built.  All it takes is winning.  Typing shit on insta, is just some sort of foreplay.  

I thought Ewers is supposed to do this

• Like 1

Gerry says Vasek not likely after OV, hence the move on Walton.

Walton has a higher ceiling and lower floor than Vasek. He'll take time. They need at least one early contributor at edge out of this class, imo. If they don't get Vasek, they need to get Shelby. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

The Stampede: Recapping a big official visit weekend for the Longhorns
MIKE ROACH

I Got Nothing GIFs | Tenor

Spoiler

The Stampede: Recapping a big official visit weekend for the Longhorns
MIKE ROACH

The dust is starting to clear on one of the most important official visit weekends for Texas in recent memory. The Longhorns had a star-studded cast led by five-star passer Arch Manning and they’ve already received a commitment from his teammate and friend Will Randle.

The Longhorns are approaching the end of the first window of visits and looking to start stringing together some more commitments after receiving two in the past week. Texas tried to put its best foot forward with every recruit on campus and it sounded like the visit weekend was a success on several fronts.

The Horns247 recruiting staff worked the phones all day on Father’s Day to get the latest on these prospects and how things unfolded during the trip. Are the Longhorns in line to win a couple of these races?

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we recap the visits and where we see the recruitments going in the future.

Arch Manning

As I predicted going into the weekend, I didn’t think there was going to be any sweeping movement on Manning. The five-star quarterback and nation’s No. 1 overall player made his return to Austin for the fourth time and he was extremely comfortable there as he has been in the past. If Texas is to land Manning, I’m not sure we can undersell the role that walk-on defensive back Michael Taaffe played so far. Manning connected early with a few Westlake guys in his recruitment and Taaffe has been the guy he’s spent the most time with each time he’s in Austin. This visit was a bit more serious for Manning as he drilled down on several key questions about the Texas program and took a lot of notes. I was told that the staff was ready to field everything they needed to and the feeling is they answered them to his satisfaction. Coming into the weekend, there was a little bit of Georgia noise behind the scenes, but the Manning family continued to play things extremely cool.

I think the Longhorns have done everything they can to present all of the options to him and answer his questions to the best of their ability. In talking to other big name recruits across the country, their feeling is that Texas is the leader, but nobody has any concrete information to go off of, and the Manning family has been extremely tight about showing their cards. Now they will undergo a period of reflection as they decide what’s next. There is no timeline and if Manning feels the time is right, he could make the call now. He could also delay until the season to see how these teams perform. The bottom line is, Manning knows he has all the time he wants to make a call and doesn’t feel rushed by any of the schools recruiting him. One big nugget from the weekend was the time Manning spent with Quinn Ewers. He’s also been able to build a good bond with Hudson Card as well. I’ve checked around and no school seems to have a strong feeling one way or another. I think Texas has been able to do everything they can and now we will see where the chips fall.

Malik Muhammad

The player we heard the most positives about coming out of the weekend was Malik Muhammad. The four-star Dallas South Oak Cliff cornerback told me that the visit went extremely well. In fact, I was told the Muhammad family was the last to leave campus after spending a lot of time at Steve Sarkisian’s house on Sunday. Muhammad’s dad is extremely meticulous and wanted to make sure all the boxes were checked for his son. Muhammad told Horns247 that Austin feels like home and he had a great time bonding with the coaches, players and recruits. He was hosted on the trip by Morice Blackwell and Jahdae Barron.

I think the Longhorns have been able to make up a ton of ground since Muhammad made his spring visit and now sit squarely with Texas A&M and Alabama among his top three schools. We’ve heard Muhammad could make a mid-week trip to Alabama to see the Crimson Tide this week and I’d expect him to take at least one trip back to College Station before making a final decision. Credit to the staff for getting back in a good position and knocking it out of the park on the visit. No we will see if they can hold the momentum and where the recruitment goes. Some near Muhammad expected him to make a decision before the summer, so the fact it has lasted this long could indicate that it’s bound for a signing day decision.

Hunter Osborne

Hudson has been all over this recruitment from the beginning and had a full report on Osborne last night. It sounds like Texas did enough to put themselves in the top group but can they overcome the lead Tennessee and Clemson have been able to establish in the recruitment? That will be the big question. As Hudson reported, Osborne is looking at a decision in August and the Longhorns are now in the conversation.

On the surface, this recruitment doesn’t profile all that differently than Justice Finkley who played with Osborne at Hewitt-Trussville before Finkley enrolled at Texas, but Texas offered Finkley a lot earlier and was able to build more of a relationship. It says a lot that the Longhorns have been able to get into the race so quickly, but it’s not clear if they will have enough to finish the race on top yet.

Sydir Mitchell

Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic DL Sydir Mitchell made it to Austin after seeing Miami, Georgia and Texas A&M. The Longhorns hosted Mitchell in the past and were able to get him back on campus. We are still in the process of gathering some info on the visit, but our initial read is that Georgia remains the favorite to land the big interior lineman. The Longhorns did well enough showing him a path to playing time and some opportunities, but the record Georgia has on the defensive line speaks for itself. We hope to have some more to add to this later in the week, but I don’t personally have a lot of confidence in Texas here at the moment.

Raul Aguirre

Aguirre’s inclusion to the visit list this week was a surprise to several. It turns out it was sort of a last minute decision. In fact, I was told by somebody that Arch Manning may have had a part in it after meeting Aguirre on his trip to Alabama and convincing him to take the visit to Texas. Ohio State, Florida, Alabama and Arkansas are the other schools Aguirre is considering in addition to Texas, and the relationship is just too new to have a good feeling for the Longhorns. I was told he enjoyed the trip and the staff enjoyed getting to know him while he was in Austin over the weekend. That said, the linebacker board is pretty stacked right now with one commitment in and the Longhorns chasing Liona Lefau, Derion Gullette and Anthony Hill. Maybe this materializes into more, but I don’t see a lot coming from it.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot

I was curious to see where Texas would stand with the Temple ATH coming out of the weekend. It sounds like everything went according to plan and I think the Longhorns have been able to make a move to pull even with Oklahoma who I had at the top of his recruitment. TCU and Houston shouldn’t be ignored either as a possible darkhorse options, but the Texas staff went all in on the idea of Harrison-Pilot playing receiver.

The Longhorns landing Arch Manning could help here as well. Harrison-Pilot falls into a similar category as Westlake wide receiver Jaden Greathouse which is a versatile athlete who can line up in a few different positions and be an asset. He plans to take an official visit to Cal next week and will likely take his other visits throughout the fall. Harrison-Pilot is just down the road in Temple, so he could come back any time for an unofficial relatively easily. If Harrison-Pilot sticks to his timeline, the season results could play a role in the way the recruitment ultimately plays out.

Jaquaize Pettaway

The four-star wide receiver from Langham Creek came to Austin and left without a ton of buzz. If I’m being honest, I expected a bit more coming out of the weekend. That could be part of the nature of Pettaway’s recruitment where he hardly talks and is tough to get a read on. It’s not that we heard anything poor about the visit and were told that Pettaway’s family was happy with the trip and liked the overall presentation at Texas.

Pettaway isn’t an overly social kid and we were told he stuck to himself early on before opening up with the others later in the trip. I don’t feel Texas lost any ground, but I thought they’d need an exceptional trip with some pretty heavy buzz coming off of his Oklahoma visit. I’m scheduled to speak with a few sources near Pettaway this week and I’m hoping to connect with him as well to get his thoughts on the trip. The last time Pettaway was on campus, it took a few days before we got a good handle on the intel, so it could just be a case of needing to wait. I do think this race comes down to Texas or Oklahoma as the Red River rivals face off in a head-to-head matchup for one of the most dynamic prospects in the country.

My'Keil Gardner

The Peoria (AZ.) Liberty defensive lineman told me he enjoyed his trip back to Austin and said the highlight was spending time with coaches and players at Top Golf. Getting time with those players allowed him to ask about the direction of the program. He also praised his relationship Bo Davis and talked about how candid he is and great at what he does. Michigan owns the lead on the 247Sports Crystal Ball, but a trip to Oregon next week could dictate a change in the recruitment. After those trips are over, Gardner hopes to come to a decision. I’d still lean toward Michigan or Oregon at the moment, but we will have to see if the Texas visit was enough to push them into position for him when it comes time for him to decide.

• Rage+1 1

44 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Walton has a higher ceiling and lower floor than Vasek. He'll take time. They need at least one early contributor at edge out of this class, imo. If they don't get Vasek, they need to get Shelby. 

Do we know what exactly happened with Vasek or is he ultimately not interested in staying in state?

Edited by westexhorn

51 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Honestly kind of happy about that.....Vasek seems maxed out.

Other news:

image.png.47ff979836d92f134cce5edabd344493.png

• Hook 'Em 4

On 6/19/2022 at 6:52 AM, Gidnik said:

not a chance in hell arch has a commit video

i would be shocked if he didn't have one honestly. not necessarily some dumb long video but something short ish with graphics that can be RT'd with the school's hash tag on it. dude has a (verified) twitter with 0 following and 0 tweets. highly doubt he has one for shits and giggles.

11k followers, but don't see any specific recent follows that are recruits.

https://twitter.com/ArchManning

Bobby:

By all accounts, the Horns helped themselves in recruiting this weekend with the following players:

QB, Arch Manning
WR, Mikal Harrison-Pilot
TE, Will Randle
DL, Hunter Osborne
DL, Sydir Mitchell
DB, Malik Muhammad
DB, Jamel Johnson

Obviously Johnson was already committed, but his visit seemed to cement things for the Horns. Randle had planned on committing to Texas for a while and finally made that a reality this weekend.

As for the others on this list, it’s nuanced.

While IT hears good things behind the scenes about Manning, it’s clear that this recruitment is as competitive as they come.

Harrison-Pilot, according to one source, “just seemed to fit in” with the team.

Big bodies like Osborne and Mitchell both see Texas as an opportunity to play in the SEC and play early. Osborne, in particular, was thought to be leaning to Clemson but after the visit the Horns have given him an attractive option maybe he wasn’t quite thinking about as hard prior to the visit.

As for Muhammad, he’s a key piece to the recruiting puzzle for the Horns and the staff seems to be pushing the right buttons, not only with Muhammad himself but also with those close to him.

As fun and interesting as this week was to watch transpire from a recruiting perspective, another big weekend is on tap.

As we’ve been writing for a while now, the next two weeks are going to be big for the Horns. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 4:01 PM, Longhornlove said:

Right. Not long ago my wife gave me  a verbal commitment that she would give me a BJ if I helped her perform a task at work. I gleefully accepted and helped her with her task but I never got paid. I should have asked her to sign an LOI.

Sounds like you need to up your NIL game...

• Haha 1

IT Monday Scoop (nothing Arch related)

Spoiler

By: Justin and Gerry

Most post-trip information and insight after the big official visit weekend in Austin. Latest from Jaden Greathouse, Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Makari Vickers, Sydir Mitchell, Hunter Osborne, and hoops news in the Scoop. Grab the Sunday Scoop if you missed it.

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake:

When Greathouse put out his top four schools - Texas, OU, Notre Dame, and South Carolina - he was to take officials to all four programs, then make a decision in early July. Coming off his official trip to South Bend, Notre Dame feels good about its position in this pursuit. It felt like the Fighting Irish might've pulled ahead over the last month, but those close in Austin believe the Horns are still squarely in the mix, and that the family might prefer he stay closer to home.

Greathouse surprised the Texas staff when he showed up to camp last week and wanted to compete. For a prospect with multiple offers, that's rare. It really impressed the Horns coaches, and now Greathouse will see Texas in the official capacity this weekend.

We don't have the best feeling about Jaquaize Pettaway post-visit, but feel much better about Greathouse heading into the final stretch. A 2023 haul of Ryan Niblett, Johntay Cook, Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Jaden Greathouse, and possibly Jalen Hale, who is currently trying to get his UT official locked in, would certainly make the burnt orange faction happy at the end of day.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, WR/ATH, Temple (Texas):

That post-visit buzz is real. After the 6-foot, 180-pound four-star arrived home on Sunday, he tells Inside Texas he had an absolute blast. Harrison-Pilot and family loved the hospitality of the players and staff, where Derrick Brown took over hosting duties. Harrison-Pilot loved the interaction with the team, chatting with Brennan Marion about life, and beating Blake Gideon in pop-a-shot.

After two officials to Norman and Austin, he's set to see California on June 24-26. That leaves two more official trips - UH and Arkansas - and we expect Harrison-Pilot to take them. The CenTex stud is still on track for a December announcement.

Makari Vickers, S, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II Catholic:

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound On3 four-star safety has canceled his official visit to Texas this weekend. At this time, we do not expect Vickers to reschedule. With 20+ offers including Alabama, Michigan, OU, and Florida State, Vickers is trending to Tuscaloosa at the moment coming off his official trip over the weekend.

Texas isn't giving up on the talented Sunshine State star, but getting him on campus is imperative for the Longhorns chances.

DEFENSIVE LINE NEWS

Make no mistake, Texas is going to battle for On3 Consensus four-star defensive lineman Sydir Mitchell. The battle is coming down to Georgia vs. Texas A&M vs. Texas.

Georgia has held the cards for a while, but Bulldogs defensive line coach Tray Scott hasn’t been front and center in the recruitment for large stretches. But Inside Texas was told recently that Georgia would accept a commitment from the near 6-foot-5, 340-pounder. There is some chatter behind the scenes that Mitchell wants to play with On3 Consensus Jamaal Jarrett, if possible, at Georgia. The Longhorns put together a terrific official visit for Mitchell and family. He's now scheduled to officially visit Auburn this weekend, but that visit is in doubt. Miami received an OV June 10, but that visit wasn’t considered a home run.

Texas is right there in the fight for On3 Consensus four-star Hunter Osborne. The Longhorns did very well with the Osborne family over the weekend. Clemson and Tennessee are the competition, unless Alabama makes a late push headed into an August 25 decision. It’s up to the Vols this weekend to keep pace with Clemson and Texas. Both visits were impactful with Osborne, and immediate family.

Hoops recruiting:

And make no mistake, newly minted On3 five-star point guard/combo guard A.J. Johnson (Woodland Hills, Calif./Taft) has become a top target for the Texas Longhorns. UT assistants Rodney Terry and Bob Donewald Jr. were in Phoenix over the weekend to been seen by Johnson and his circle. The 6-foot-4.5 explosive playmaker is scheduled to make an unofficial visit Tuesday. Johnson spends time in Houston with his trainer, and training parter/“big brother” Jalen Green. The Longhorns getting Johnson on campus this week is huge, as his recruitment is in the process of blowing up. Kansas is the latest offer. Duke also watched this weekend. Kentucky as well.

Wing/guard target Gehrig Normand (North Richland Hills, Texas/Birdville) is expected to lock in his official visit date to Texas this week. That visit date is expected to be June 27-28. The 6-foot-5.5 shot-maker made an official visit to Missouri last week, and is on his way to Wisconsin for a June 20-22 official visit. Close to home is expected to win out, and the Longhorns are the favorite.

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound On3 four-star safety has canceled his official visit to Texas this weekend. At this time, we do not expect Vickers to reschedule. With 20+ offers including Alabama, Michigan, OU, and Florida State, Vickers is trending to Tuscaloosa at the moment coming off his official trip over the weekend.

Texas isn't giving up on the talented Sunshine State star, but getting him on campus is imperative for the Longhorns chances.

Derek Williams is the prize and Vickers going to Bama would improve our chances. They already have a safety committed, too. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

In a business that thrives on ones credibility— especially in a market with many options, strike three here could be a death blow. This is an incredibly high profile national recruitment with so many eyes on what he’s reporting. 

Despicable Me Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

"He's not just a great football coach, he's a great person who is universally respected and if you add in AJ, he's so loyal and such an extension of him. They've done everything the right way. They've worked incredibly hard and recruited and that's why you get to the fourth quarter of this thing and they are there. 

If there's one thing we know, it's that Sark is a beast in the 4th quarter.

Oh, shit.

• Rage+1 3

13 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

In a business that thrives on ones credibility— especially in a market with many options, strike three here could be a death blow.

Thing is, the other options in the market aren't getting everything right, either, especially no where near to the amount it'd take to register as significantly more credible. Also, the credibility helps, but once you have the subscribers, the majority of them will continue to buy on hope. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Clemson and Oregon are making him a priority and the hometown team was trying to slow play. Sounds like Texas waited too long. 

Yes, and when they did engage him they fumbled the engagement in how they interacted with him awhile back. 

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

IT Monday Scoop (nothing Arch related)

Reveal hidden contents

By: Justin and Gerry

Most post-trip information and insight after the big official visit weekend in Austin. Latest from Jaden Greathouse, Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Makari Vickers, Sydir Mitchell, Hunter Osborne, and hoops news in the Scoop. Grab the Sunday Scoop if you missed it.

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake:

When Greathouse put out his top four schools - Texas, OU, Notre Dame, and South Carolina - he was to take officials to all four programs, then make a decision in early July. Coming off his official trip to South Bend, Notre Dame feels good about its position in this pursuit. It felt like the Fighting Irish might've pulled ahead over the last month, but those close in Austin believe the Horns are still squarely in the mix, and that the family might prefer he stay closer to home.

Greathouse surprised the Texas staff when he showed up to camp last week and wanted to compete. For a prospect with multiple offers, that's rare. It really impressed the Horns coaches, and now Greathouse will see Texas in the official capacity this weekend.

We don't have the best feeling about Jaquaize Pettaway post-visit, but feel much better about Greathouse heading into the final stretch. A 2023 haul of Ryan Niblett, Johntay Cook, Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Jaden Greathouse, and possibly Jalen Hale, who is currently trying to get his UT official locked in, would certainly make the burnt orange faction happy at the end of day.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, WR/ATH, Temple (Texas):

That post-visit buzz is real. After the 6-foot, 180-pound four-star arrived home on Sunday, he tells Inside Texas he had an absolute blast. Harrison-Pilot and family loved the hospitality of the players and staff, where Derrick Brown took over hosting duties. Harrison-Pilot loved the interaction with the team, chatting with Brennan Marion about life, and beating Blake Gideon in pop-a-shot.

After two officials to Norman and Austin, he's set to see California on June 24-26. That leaves two more official trips - UH and Arkansas - and we expect Harrison-Pilot to take them. The CenTex stud is still on track for a December announcement.

DEFENSIVE LINE NEWS

Make no mistake, Texas is going to battle for On3 Consensus four-star defensive lineman Sydir Mitchell. The battle is coming down to Georgia vs. Texas A&M vs. Texas.

Georgia has held the cards for a while, but Bulldogs defensive line coach Tray Scott hasn’t been front and center in the recruitment for large stretches. But Inside Texas was told recently that Georgia would accept a commitment from the near 6-foot-5, 340-pounder. There is some chatter behind the scenes that Mitchell wants to play with On3 Consensus Jamaal Jarrett, if possible, at Georgia. The Longhorns put together a terrific official visit for Mitchell and family. He's now scheduled to officially visit Auburn this weekend, but that visit is in doubt. Miami received an OV June 10, but that visit wasn’t considered a home run.

Texas is right there in the fight for On3 Consensus four-star Hunter Osborne. The Longhorns did very well with the Osborne family over the weekend. Clemson and Tennessee are the competition, unless Alabama makes a late push headed into an August 25 decision. It’s up to the Vols this weekend to keep pace with Clemson and Texas. Both visits were impactful with Osborne, and immediate family.

Hoops recruiting:

And make no mistake, newly minted On3 five-star point guard/combo guard A.J. Johnson (Woodland Hills, Calif./Taft) has become a top target for the Texas Longhorns. UT assistants Rodney Terry and Bob Donewald Jr. were in Phoenix over the weekend to been seen by Johnson and his circle. The 6-foot-4.5 explosive playmaker is scheduled to make an unofficial visit Tuesday. Johnson spends time in Houston with his trainer, and training parter/“big brother” Jalen Green. The Longhorns getting Johnson on campus this week is huge, as his recruitment is in the process of blowing up. Kansas is the latest offer. Duke also watched this weekend. Kentucky as well.

Wing/guard target Gehrig Normand (North Richland Hills, Texas/Birdville) is expected to lock in his official visit date to Texas this week. That visit date is expected to be June 27-28. The 6-foot-5.5 shot-maker made an official visit to Missouri last week, and is on his way to Wisconsin for a June 20-22 official visit. Close to home is expected to win out, and the Longhorns are the favorite.

Interesting.....