Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gerry says Vasek not likely after OV, hence the move on Walton.

Walton has a higher ceiling and lower floor than Vasek. He'll take time. They need at least one early contributor at edge out of this class, imo. If they don't get Vasek, they need to get Shelby. 

I like the Louisiana guy that just visited a lot more than Walton.  Maybe they plan on taking three EDGE guys?

Looked through the offer list and not sure who Gerry would be quiet about on an OL coming in for an OV.  Maybe the aggy commit Colton Thomasson?  Don't really see the need to be silent if it was someone like Shanahan or Sewell.

It definitely isn’t Thomason, he and his family are 100% in on aggy.

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Can I ask a dumb question? What does the “sssshh” finger to the lips mean in this context? I get it when a player scores a TD in an opposing stadium to quiet the fans, but why do players do it in recruiting pictures like this?

They're just telling the cameramen to keep the commitment pic under wraps, duh 🙄😂

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Can I ask a dumb question? What does the “sssshh” finger to the lips mean in this context? I get it when a player scores a TD in an opposing stadium to quiet the fans, but why do players do it in recruiting pictures like this?

It makes sense with visit pictures etc..., because you could be saying you're keeping your intentions a secret, and you're teasing. Why it'd be there for the commitment picture? Eh, doesn't make a lot of sense, but it might be as simple as it being the best picture he took in fOSU gear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

IT Monday Scoop (nothing Arch related)

Reveal hidden contents

By: Justin and Gerry

Most post-trip information and insight after the big official visit weekend in Austin. Latest from Jaden Greathouse, Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Makari Vickers, Sydir Mitchell, Hunter Osborne, and hoops news in the Scoop. Grab the Sunday Scoop if you missed it.

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake:

When Greathouse put out his top four schools - Texas, OU, Notre Dame, and South Carolina - he was to take officials to all four programs, then make a decision in early July. Coming off his official trip to South Bend, Notre Dame feels good about its position in this pursuit. It felt like the Fighting Irish might've pulled ahead over the last month, but those close in Austin believe the Horns are still squarely in the mix, and that the family might prefer he stay closer to home.

Greathouse surprised the Texas staff when he showed up to camp last week and wanted to compete. For a prospect with multiple offers, that's rare. It really impressed the Horns coaches, and now Greathouse will see Texas in the official capacity this weekend.

We don't have the best feeling about Jaquaize Pettaway post-visit, but feel much better about Greathouse heading into the final stretch. A 2023 haul of Ryan Niblett, Johntay Cook, Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Jaden Greathouse, and possibly Jalen Hale, who is currently trying to get his UT official locked in, would certainly make the burnt orange faction happy at the end of day.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, WR/ATH, Temple (Texas):

That post-visit buzz is real. After the 6-foot, 180-pound four-star arrived home on Sunday, he tells Inside Texas he had an absolute blast. Harrison-Pilot and family loved the hospitality of the players and staff, where Derrick Brown took over hosting duties. Harrison-Pilot loved the interaction with the team, chatting with Brennan Marion about life, and beating Blake Gideon in pop-a-shot.

After two officials to Norman and Austin, he's set to see California on June 24-26. That leaves two more official trips - UH and Arkansas - and we expect Harrison-Pilot to take them. The CenTex stud is still on track for a December announcement.

Makari Vickers, S, Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II Catholic:

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound On3 four-star safety has canceled his official visit to Texas this weekend. At this time, we do not expect Vickers to reschedule. With 20+ offers including Alabama, Michigan, OU, and Florida State, Vickers is trending to Tuscaloosa at the moment coming off his official trip over the weekend.

Texas isn't giving up on the talented Sunshine State star, but getting him on campus is imperative for the Longhorns chances.

DEFENSIVE LINE NEWS

Make no mistake, Texas is going to battle for On3 Consensus four-star defensive lineman Sydir Mitchell. The battle is coming down to Georgia vs. Texas A&M vs. Texas.

Georgia has held the cards for a while, but Bulldogs defensive line coach Tray Scott hasn’t been front and center in the recruitment for large stretches. But Inside Texas was told recently that Georgia would accept a commitment from the near 6-foot-5, 340-pounder. There is some chatter behind the scenes that Mitchell wants to play with On3 Consensus Jamaal Jarrett, if possible, at Georgia. The Longhorns put together a terrific official visit for Mitchell and family. He's now scheduled to officially visit Auburn this weekend, but that visit is in doubt. Miami received an OV June 10, but that visit wasn’t considered a home run.

Texas is right there in the fight for On3 Consensus four-star Hunter Osborne. The Longhorns did very well with the Osborne family over the weekend. Clemson and Tennessee are the competition, unless Alabama makes a late push headed into an August 25 decision. It’s up to the Vols this weekend to keep pace with Clemson and Texas. Both visits were impactful with Osborne, and immediate family.

Hoops recruiting:

And make no mistake, newly minted On3 five-star point guard/combo guard A.J. Johnson (Woodland Hills, Calif./Taft) has become a top target for the Texas Longhorns. UT assistants Rodney Terry and Bob Donewald Jr. were in Phoenix over the weekend to been seen by Johnson and his circle. The 6-foot-4.5 explosive playmaker is scheduled to make an unofficial visit Tuesday. Johnson spends time in Houston with his trainer, and training parter/“big brother” Jalen Green. The Longhorns getting Johnson on campus this week is huge, as his recruitment is in the process of blowing up. Kansas is the latest offer. Duke also watched this weekend. Kentucky as well.

Wing/guard target Gehrig Normand (North Richland Hills, Texas/Birdville) is expected to lock in his official visit date to Texas this week. That visit date is expected to be June 27-28. The 6-foot-5.5 shot-maker made an official visit to Missouri last week, and is on his way to Wisconsin for a June 20-22 official visit. Close to home is expected to win out, and the Longhorns are the favorite.

So much for Gerry’s “I meant 84%” on Pettway 

Gerry says to keep an eye on Caden Jones at OT

Jones is a prospect that is coming on physically. Jones has turned in big time testing numbers this summer, to the tune of ...

6-7.5, 302-304 pounds, 11.5 inch hand, 83.5 inch wingspan, 36 inch arms and 31-inch vertical.

Texas is monitoring the fast rising senior. He's impressed at FSU and Texas A&M camps as well.

https://www.on3.com/db/caden-jones-146492/

https://247sports.com/player/caden-jones-46116291/

• Hook 'Em 1

IT's Official Visitors list for this weekend:

June 24-26

Spoiler

Ryan Niblett, WR, Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower – Texas commit

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

DeAndre Moore, WR, Los Alamitos (Calif.)

Andre Cojoe, OL. Mansfield (Texas) Summit

Connor Stroh, OL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Harker Heights (Texas)

Zalance Heard, OL, Monroe (La.) Neville

Trevor Goosby, OL, Melissa (Texas) – TCU commit

Vysen Lang, OL, Pike Road (Ala.) OV: June 21-23

Terrance Green, DL, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Woods

Ansel Nedore, DL, Round Rock (Texas)

Avion Carter, DL, Amarillo (Texas) Tascosa

Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Marlin (Texas)

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood (Texas)

Blake Purchase, EDGE, Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek

Billy Walton, EDGE, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff - Oklahoma State commit

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley – Texas commit

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate

Jayden Bonsu, S, Hillside (NJ) St. Peter’s Prep

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

IT's Official Visitors list for this weekend:

June 24-26

Hide contents

Ryan Niblett, WR, Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower – Texas commit

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy

DeAndre Moore, WR, Los Alamitos (Calif.)

Andre Cojoe, OL. Mansfield (Texas) Summit

Connor Stroh, OL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Harker Heights (Texas)

Zalance Heard, OL, Monroe (La.) Neville

Trevor Goosby, OL, Melissa (Texas) – TCU commit

Vysen Lang, OL, Pike Road (Ala.) OV: June 21-23

Terrance Green, DL, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Woods

Ansel Nedore, DL, Round Rock (Texas)

Avion Carter, DL, Amarillo (Texas) Tascosa

Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Marlin (Texas)

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood (Texas)

Blake Purchase, EDGE, Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek

Billy Walton, EDGE, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff - Oklahoma State commit

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley – Texas commit

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate

Jayden Bonsu, S, Hillside (NJ) St. Peter’s Prep

I like Bonsu. That dude hits.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok...I'm confused, as to why all those 5* DL, and some of the others, would all commit to aggy in the last recruiting haul.  I know Saban mentioned that Jimbo bought them, which I agree, but what's really going on here?  aggy never had such a haul, their last season didn't do anything to make players want to go there, so ... somehow, Jimbo and the donors shelled out a ton of money to get players to go there?   Any news/updates/info, or will we ever know what happened there?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Ok...I'm confused, as to why all those 5* DL, and some of the others, would all commit to aggy in the last recruiting haul.  I know Saban mentioned that Jimbo bought them, which I agree, but what's really going on here?  aggy never had such a haul, their last season didn't do anything to make players want to go there, so ... somehow, Jimbo and the donors shelled out a ton of money to get players to go there?   Any news/updates/info, or will we ever know what happened there?

Yes. 

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

He used him to announce his top 3

I'm not aware of Arch releasing a Top 3 - I know that he spoke with Sam Spiegelman and it was clear from that interview that Texas, Georgia, and Alabama were his top3, but I don't remember him releasing anything 'official'.  Can you link the tweet?

15 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I first saw the momentum/ appeal with their prior DC but after he left i myself don't see a reason the pipeline continued aside from a bag.   I think some of the recruits didn't get the memo that their defense isn't what it was. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm not aware of Arch releasing a Top 3 - I know that he spoke with Sam Spiegelman and it was clear from that interview that Texas, Georgia, and Alabama were his top3, but I don't remember him releasing anything 'official'.  Can you link the tweet?

clever scott pilgrim vs the world GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Arch has never personally published anything. Fawcett works for On3. It was an edit supporting their story about his visits.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd1DeO8lZOt/

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

3 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

clever scott pilgrim vs the world GIF

676-A37-F7-0-CFC-4-B11-A8-F3-EDADA2-E342

• Haha 2