Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've got it down to like one in every three words, so take that you big meanie. 

You pulled out the laptop to type this, didn’t you? 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

The lege will likely update things in the next session, but that's me speculating.

Based on my dealings with the lege, I’d say a good rule of thumb is to expect rampant incompetence so that you’re pleasantly surprised if they can clear even that low of a bar. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.587bfdfda18c817a72fdcae493acacef.png

image.thumb.png.fdd7490078df8d9feecc3baa0a208254.png

Was it ever discussed who this potential OL prospect that might be coming in this weekend that's super secret?

I know Sewell said thanks but no thanks a couple weeks ago, but...  could it be him deciding to take another visit again? Arch effect?

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You pulled out the laptop to type this, didn’t you? 

Based on my dealings with the lege, I’d say a good rule of thumb is to expect rampant incompetence so that you’re pleasantly surprised if they can clear even that low of a bar. 

...mom?

Well, the major schools were aware of some of the deficiencies in our NIL laws last session, but there wasn't the time to change anything. I think they'll have their ducks in a row this time around, but who knows. As another poster mentioned, they seem quite busy with culture war shit at the moment so who the fuck knows. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Nahlin

Uncertainty remains over when Arch Manning will make his decision. It wasn’t recent, but he has said behind the scenes he could commit and not even announce it. That’s a little insight into how averse he is to the limelight. As you’d expect, he’s been in touch with coaches at UT and Georgia since his weekend official visit to Texas. He may have talked to Alabama, too, we just haven’t heard it. Any discussion on timeline is guesswork. The range we’ve heard is one or two weeks and up to a month. One thing is clear, he knows what he would mean to recruiting wherever he goes so we don’t think his decision will extend into the season.

Texas sources remain in good spirits on this one.

Malik Muhammad has become one of the key targets on the defensive side of the ball. The Dallas South Cliff corner is fresh off of his Texas official visit. IT caught up with someone key in his circle and here, “he really likes the environment, Sark’s great, and Texas will be special.” If Muhammad moves his timeline up from August, it will favor Texas in our opinion. But we’re still watching A&M and to a lesser degree, Bama.

Jayden Bonsu canceled his Texas official visit for this weekend. Interest wasn’t serious enough to bring him in. Looking at the visitors list, this is more time for Derek Williams to spend with coaches. If one on one time is to your advantage, you want a lot of it. Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon have a good relationship with the Louisiana product.

Reminder on another Louisiana product, Baton Rouge cornerback Jordan Matthews. He’ll visit for the Texas BBQ in July but is expected to save his official visit for the Alabama game in September. That would be two visits in close proximity, giving the staff a great chance to win that recruitment even with his recent run of offers (Clemson, Bama, LSU).

Rueben Owens picking Louisville might be more firm than you’d think. And yes, I know how crazy that sounds. Not saying he’ll end up there, but it’s probably a 30% chance rather than 5%. Texas got off the gas and applied the brakes some time ago. They’re all in on Florida’s Cedric Baxter, which means they will likely need some secondary options. They also have to keep Tre Wisner committed. Wisner is said to be pretty open per one college coach.

We’ll catch up with Johntay Cook soon. Word is he really liked his Oregon visit, and he’s at Michigan currently.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Nahlin

Uncertainty remains over when Arch Manning will make his decision. It wasn’t recent, but he has said behind the scenes he could commit and not even announce it. That’s a little insight into how averse he is to the limelight.

Fuck off with this bullshit. If the #1 QB in the class, #1 overall, 1.000 QB is too averse of the limelight to even announce his commitment then that bodes really horribly all things considered for him helping at all with recruiting.

Nahlin, who is far and away the most confident on Arch > Texas of any 9.95ers, sounds like his is covering his ass in case this takes longer than expect. Also, why even put this out there?! Fuck that guy.

8 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Insinuating that Texas stopped recruiting or no longer wanted Owens is a Looch level spin. You can say that the staff started recruiting others but Texas would 100% have loved to have his commitment. Sark has invested a lot in that recruitment. 

I've suspected that if the family drama stuff is legit, that it's possible that even Georgia and A&M have cooled off a bit on Owens. I truly do believe that Texas is higher on Baxter, but not sure how much of that is actual athletic preference, and Owens drama situation. It does seem that Louisville is ready to play serious ball via NIL, but the whole Louisville thing happened really quickly. I think some of the bigger schools have indeed laid off a bit. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Insinuating that Texas stopped recruiting or no longer wanted Owens is a Looch level spin. You can say that the staff started recruiting others but Texas would 100% have loved to have his commitment. Sark has invested a lot in that recruitment. 

I invested a lot in my first marriage but decided it was probably a good idea to no longer take that crazy bitches commitment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

I've suspected that if the family drama stuff is legit, that it's possible that even Georgia and A&M have cooled off a bit on Owens. I truly do believe that Texas is higher on Baxter, but not sure how much of that is actual athletic preference, and Owens drama situation. It does appear that Louisville is ready to play serious ball via NIL, but the whole Louisville thing happened really quickly. I think some of the bigger schools have indeed laid off a bit. 

I agree with you 100% but I think the “we didn’t want him anyways” comments after a kid doesn’t choose your school is just childish. Texas wanted him, probably not as much as they used to but he was still being recruited by us as of 4 days ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I agree with you 100% but I think the “we didn’t want him anyways” comments after a kid doesn’t choose your school is just childish. Texas wanted him, probably not as much as they used to but he was still being recruited by us as of 4 days ago.

fair

49 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

You could see a clear shift in reporting on owens maybe 2 months ago. Ctj also mentioned something similar. 

Idk what A&M was saying, but everyone has been “fading” our involvement in the recruitment for a while. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 3

Wells:

Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff EDGE Billy Walton might be committed to Oklahoma State, but he's returning to Austin for an official visit this weekend.

"I hope to see the culture," said Walton. "I'm hoping to see why they want me (in Austin) and where I can fit. I’m looking to see what they have for me as a player and a college student. They are down-to-earth, real dudes. They don’t sugar coat anything.”

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If Owens gets paid earlier and escapes some shaky influences by finishing high school OOS and then going to Louisville, good for him. His choices to make. The kid is a real talent wherever he ends up. 

i bet those same influences follow him wherever he goes

Top247 ATH Mikal Harrison-Pilot gives highlights from his official visit to Texas

Steve Wiltfong

Spoiler

Top247 ATH Mikal Harrison-Pilot gives highlights from his official visit to Texas

Steve Wiltfong

Temple (Texas) High Top247 athlete Mikal Harrison-Pilot took his official to Texas over the weekend and the Longhorns continue to impress.

“The atmosphere was awesome, it’s always been,” Harrison-Pilot said. “I’ve been there quite a few times and it’s gets better and better, just by the players and the coaches how they interact with each other, the chemistry they have is just the best of the best.”

Texas is battling California, Houston, TCU and Oklahoma.

“The No. 1 thing that stands out is how they get their players developed and ready for the NFL by the scheme they run, like the West Coast offense most NFL teams run that and they will help me tremendously as a receiver in their offense. The next thing is their business program I really loved everything about it and I think it is one of the best I’ve seen so far.”

“Texas is a blue blood along with one other I’m considering, but they definitely check all the boxes for me. It’s going to come down to relationships and where I feel is best for me educationally and athletically.”

48 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So why are RBs and WRs always seem to be loons with massive hangers on every cycle?

Because they are the ones who are most likely to be felated by every person involved with them growing up because one great skill player can mean you win championships at younger ages. They in turn buy into the hype, and it makes them easy prey for uncles and agents to get in their ear about driving up their value and making them money. Then they get all of that happening at once and the kid gets swallowed up in the echo chamber and people start putting their hooks in his decisions and pulling him different directions based on their own self interests and it looks to the outside world like the kid is a fruit cake. In reality, he is just getting fleeced by those closest to him, and if there is an absence of strong roll models in his life then it seems to be way worse. IE; Owens, Demas, Evans, Stewart, et al.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Greathouse has been trending to ND for at least a month though. It's not groundbreaking.

he was the one to say he wouldn't be surprised if he didn't visit this weekend, first..  Also for all the Vasek talk of heading elsewhere, he pretty much laid his ovaries on the table and saying Texas is trending with him now, especially off the visit.

in this $9.95er world, we don't have much to hold onto.. Standish is the new Yoda...

til CTJ comesback from Vegas broke

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

FWIW - Spencer has been tearing it up and random camps hes been at this summer.  Now the opposition at these camps can sometimes be lacking or be underclassmen, but at least he did what he was suppposed to do in that sort of environment. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Gotta tell you, I've been swamped with life in general for months, and my time spent on the 995 board has been one of the major casualties, mostly because at the time when shit got crazy for me, this board was becoming wildly unbearable both from the program's dipshittery, as well as the murder of stumblefucks posting with increasing regularity. And here I stop back in thanks to a timely tag by Burt Macklin only to see Ray'sBoomBoomRoom sucking out all of the oxygen with his signature stupidity and terrible takes and well...I'm not feeling like I've missed much of anything since about February or March. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Gotta tell you, I've been swamped with life in general for months, and my time spent on the 995 board has been one of the major casualties, mostly because at the time when shit got crazy for me, this board was becoming wildly unbearable both from the program's dipshittery, as well as the murder of stumblefucks posting with increasing regularity. And here I stop back in thanks to a timely tag by Burt Macklin only to see Ray'sBoomBoomRoom sucking out all of the oxygen with his signature stupidity and terrible takes and well...I'm not feeling like I've missed much of anything since about February or March. 

You haven’t.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I am not sure what you want us to do with the stumblefucks if murder is off the table.  They could be banished to the football board, but they might prefer death.

3 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I am not sure what you want us to do with the stumblefucks if murder is off the table.  They could be banished to the football board, but they might prefer death.

It's not off the table - just don't crow about it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

https://theathletic.com/3376527/2022/06/21/arch-manning-football-recruiting-texas/

Spoiler

By Sam Khan Jr.
52m ago

Arch Manning already had a busy June. The No. 1 prospect in the 2023 class took official visits to Alabama, Georgia and Texas and participated in a seven-on-seven camp at LSU.

The quarterback’s visit to Austin, Texas, over the weekend is likely his last for a while. The summer dead period, which runs through July 24, begins Monday, and Nelson Stewart, his coach at Isidore Newman School in New Orleans, told The Athletic that the coming weeks are a time for him to get with his family and figure out where he is in the recruiting process.

“There’s no impulsivity to him,” Stewart said. “There’s no rush. When he knows, he knows.

“Obviously he’s been going through this for seven years. We’re in the fourth quarter. It’s just about attention to detail and supporting him.”

The Longhorns, who have maintained a strong position in his recruitment, did well on Manning’s visit, as they have during the multiple stops he has made on the Forty Acres prior. “He had a great trip,” Stewart said. He said the same of the visits to Alabama and Georgia. Manning, the son of Cooper and nephew of Peyton and Eli Manning, has been asking questions, getting a feel for the campuses and continuing to develop relationships with the coaches.

The last part is where head coach Steve Sarkisian and quarterbacks coach A.J. Milwee have excelled. Stewart praised their accessibility and joked that he talks to Milwee more than his wife. The pair talk to Manning weekly. Stewart called Sarkisian “authentic.”

“There are real relationships,” Stewart said. “Texas is in this because they work tirelessly.”

Though communication has been consistent, Stewart noted that Texas has done a good job of giving Manning space to work through his decision. The same applied to Manning’s teammate, 2023 tight end recruit Will Randle, who also spent the weekend on campus and committed to the Longhorns on Sunday morning.

Randle camped at Texas a year ago. Stewart said Sarkisian called him from Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium while Randle was working out last June, gushing about how impressed he was. Randle’s commitment on Sunday created buzz because of his relationship with Manning, but their decisions are separate. Stewart said Randle, a three-star, “fell in love,” with Texas.

At Newman, Randle plays tight end, H-back, edge rusher and on every phase of special teams. “He’s the best total player we’ve ever had,” Stewart said. Stewart credited Sarkisian, Milwee and tight ends and special teams coach Jeff Banks for their work recruiting Randle, who also considered Virginia, Alabama, Tulane and LSU.

As for Manning, Texas is willing to wait as long as necessary. He’s the only quarterback Texas has offered, and Sarkisian said last month that he won’t panic if a player’s decision isn’t swift. Alabama took a commitment last month from four-star quarterback Eli Holstein, but Stewart said that “Arch is gonna compete wherever he goes” and that he doesn’t believe that such a development will make or break the recruitment. Georgia is still in heavy pursuit.

While Manning’s exact timeline is still unclear, the process that began when Manning was in sixth grade is nearing its end. Stewart said there have been no major developments and any new information will come from Manning himself. As he mulls his decision, Manning will continue playing summer seven-on-seven, getting ready for the annual Manning Passing Academy and locking in on his high school football season.

“When he’s ready, he’s ready,” Stewart said. “This is his private time. We’re just trying to give him the distance to formulate his own thoughts.

"We’re not through yet, but getting closer.”

• Hook 'Em 2