Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Big Woodrows said:

Gerry Hamilton on Jaquaize Pettaway

Reveal hidden contents

Houston, Texas – On3 Consensus 4-star wide receiver Jaquaize Pettaway made an official visit to Texas last weekend, and walked away giving the Longhorns high marks.

The No. 10-ranked wide receiver in the 2023 class made the visit last weekend to Austin with his mom and sister.

“The Texas visit was cool. They showed me that they were nice, to me and my family. They were very welcoming to me and my family. We all had a good time. Seeing all the coaches again, they were happy I was back. I feel like overall, it was a great visit.” 

Pettaway and wide receivers coach Brennan Marion have formed a solid relationship in the last few months.

“He’s a very cool guy. I feel like I can talk to him personally about anything. We kind of like have the same back story. When we sat down and talked, he watched film with me, my mom and my sister. We watched my film, and their (Texas) film, and I thought that was cool.”

The time spent with Marion included spirited games of dominoes.

“We went back-to-back. He beat me the first time, and I came back and beat him the second time. We split. We competed!”

The visit to Texas helped the Longhorns cause with Oklahoma the perceived favorite.

“Oh yeah. I feel like I can see myself going there. I felt like it’s a good place to be for me. We had the main dude from the business school take us around and see everything. That was important for me and my family because I want to major in business, and communications too. That was very big for me too.”

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian’s message was about versatility within the offensive scheme.

“He was just like, you can be an all-around receiver for us. They can use me in all types of ways. They can motion me and stuff like that, so I liked that.”

One of the highlights of the weekend was interacting with On3 Consensus No. 1 Arch Manning.

“Arch is a very subtle guy. He’s very laid back. I didn’t expect him to be that tall. He’s big. He told me that he heard I could be a 10.2 (100 meters) guy. He was very cool.” 

Texas vs. Oklahoma decision looming
The 5-foot-11, 170-pound speedy playmaker has made June official visits to both arch rivals, and left no doubt about his recruitment following a Langham Creek High morning workout. 

“The two schools I’m looking at right now are Oklahoma and Texas,” Pettaway told On3 Wednesday. “I feel at home at both. They are both very similar in how they would use me. I feel like at Texas, I could still talk to more coaches. At Oklahoma, I talk to every coach. That’s what I’m thinking. It’s a big rivalry.” 

The No. 11-ranked prospect in the Lone Star State is thinking August for a decision. With the acknowledgement that is could come sooner.

“May August 15 or the 20th. I’m not sure about the date. I could be earlier. It comes down to where I feel most home at. I feel at home at both, but it will be a long conversation process with my family.”

Pettaway enters his senior season with 105 receptions for 1,798 yards and 16 touchdowns in two seasons for the Lobos. He has more than 2,000 all-purpose yards.

This is the second time pettaway has mentioned not feeling like he was wanted as much by Texas. First time not hearing from players and now not hearing from all of the coaches. 

24 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

This is the second time pettaway has mentioned not feeling like he was wanted as much by Texas. First time not hearing from players and now not hearing from all of the coaches. 

He's repeating what OU is telling him. "Are you sure they really want you? They sure are giving a lot of attention to other WR's" "Are you sure they want you? Only Marion and Sark hit you up and we have Ted Roof taking time out of his day to send you tik toks!"

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Offer list is kind of all over the place.  Is he a guy who can commit to Texas/LSU/Aggy?  Or is he being kept warm and eventually ends up at Kansas/UTSA?

He’s probably a take now with Greathouse and Pettaway leaning elsewhere. Set the floor with Cook, Niblett and Wilson and then let the chips fall where they may.

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He’s probably a take now with Greathouse and Pettaway leaning elsewhere. Set the floor with Cook, Niblett and Wilson and then let the chips fall where they may.

Is there a big difference between Greathouse and Pettaway? Greathouse is thicker. Pettaway listed as taller. I dont think either are athletic freaks.  Maybe it is just me, but neither one excites me 

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Is there a big difference between Greathouse and Pettaway? Greathouse is thicker. Pettaway listed as taller. I dont think either are athletic freaks.  Maybe it is just me, but neither one excites me 

I’m not sure what you’re referencing. Greathouse is a 6’2+ solidly-built, very productive receiver with above average athleticism. People have had him pegged at slot. 
Pettwaway is 5’11ish, lean receiver. Hes very fast in a straight line, not sure how well he changes direction. Would do well in this offense. 

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I’m not sure what you’re referencing. Greathouse is a 6’2+ solidly-built, very productive receiver with above average athleticism. People have had him pegged at slot. 
Pettwaway is 5’11ish, lean receiver. Hes very fast in a straight line, not sure how well he changes direction. Would do well in this offense. 

I meant between Jonah Wilson and Greathouse. Not sure either have the athleticism to become a difference maker in college. Pettaway's speed sets him apart from Wilson and Greathouse. 

Here's an actual eval on Wilson from IT

WR Jonah Wilson, Spring (Tx) Dekaney - 2023:
Hudl/highlights

How he fits at Texas: Wilson has great ball skills with some high point catches and nabs over the middle on his highlight film, despite splitting time at receiver and quarterback for Dekaney high school. He's not small at 6-foot-1, though not massive, and has the explosiveness to get down the field behind defenses. He'd make sense in the Z or X receiver position at Texas, it's easy to imagine him doing work on crossing patterns and RPOs and he has the fluidity and top end speed to work double moves down the field as well. - IB

Coach says - Strengths: A tall and lean receiver with plenty of room for bulk. Is balanced and quick out of his stance. He has lined up at X, Z. slot, and H-back. Gets into his pattern quickly and is immediately operating in the seams and gaps. Shows some great double moves and sells his routes. Has a quick gather at the top of his stems and shows the instinct to stack the defender. Understands how to attack leverage and just gets open. Longish arms with a natural catching motion and soft hands. Tracks and adjusts to the poorly thrown ball really well. Top end speed is excellent, and defenders clearly are trying to avoid the deep completion. Scored on one in every 4.2 catches. I can see this player at a true WR position or as an H-back if he gains the obligatory 20 lbs. Areas for Improvement / Concern - Would like to see some run blocking. Would like to see more hip explosion in and out of routes.

How this affects Texas: The 6-foot-2, 200-pound three-sport athlete really caught the attention of the Texas coaching staff during a basketball game last January. He was promptly offered soon after and might be the most eager recruit to see Austin in 2023. Ohio State and LSU have come through with offers and should be noticed, but Wilson really likes what the Longhorns are building. UT needs four wide receivers in this cycle and Wilson fits the "X" position. The WR room has added speed and quickness, now they just need length. Wilson adds that dimension with a solid wingspan and super ball skills. He'll be on campus on April 2nd. - JW

Worth noting the comment on long speed. He's the anchor on his mile relay and is reportedly running splits under 50. That's hustling. 

• Hook 'Em 4

41 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Here's an actual eval on Wilson from IT

Worth noting the comment on long speed. He's the anchor on his mile relay and is reportedly running splits under 50. That's hustling. 

247 had Wilson listed as 6’3” currently. Boyd says “not a small 6’1””.  JW at 6’2” 200.. quality work going on

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, utfan87 said:

What a difference it would make if he and Choate could reminisce about the pioneer days in Montana. 

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Offer list is kind of all over the place.  Is he a guy who can commit to Texas/LSU/Aggy?  Or is he being kept warm and eventually ends up at Kansas/UTSA?

Jonah's a whale of a player.  

Edited by Gut Wagon

On 6/21/2022 at 7:05 PM, ArchManning said:

Do any of y’all have patience? I’m coming to Texas, any thing else you hear is bullshit. It’s Texas and it has always been Texas. Why would I go to Bama when Nick is about to retire and what quarterback even wants to go to Georgia now. Everyone calm down and stop your complaining/worrying, I’ll announce sometime soon. 

Judge Judy Time GIFs | Tenor