Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Regardless of where he is right now as a player, his mental eval is absolutely elite. The way he went through this process is the way he will prepare. Like Peyton late in his career, he will be able to win games with his mind even if his physical talent doesn't quite live up to ridiculous expectations.  

I wonder if he’s had any “mental game” tutoring from anyone over the last few years?

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

I wonder if he’s had any “mental game” tutoring from anyone over the last few years?

High school offenses are so basic, plus the rest of his team sucks. There is only so much you can get into with a 14 or 15 year old kid when it comes to the nuances of playing QB. When you get to a college offense, that separation starts to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

Not sure Jonah Wilson is a commitment we should be taking immediately.

gerry was talking high on him right now about his size and how he would play perfectly on the outside..  they also said Parker is going to LSU and he canceled his trip here 

I bet more are added to this

Gerry - Today at 6:42 AM

Another huge official visitor weekend is here. There are currently 11 members of the On3 Consensus top 300 scheduled to make official visits this weekend.

Texas official visitors this weekend:
RB Tre Wisner, DeSoto (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 295
#AllGasNoBrakes

Tre Wisner - DeSoto - RB

Tre Wisner is a RB from DeSoto in DeSoto, TX. Tre Wisner is committed to the Texas Longhorns

www.on3.com

WR Johntay Cook II, DeSoto (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 32
The competition: Texas A&M, Oregon, Michigan

Johntay Cook II - DeSoto - WR

Johntay Cook II is a WR from DeSoto in DeSoto, TX.

www.on3.com

WR Ryan Niblett, Houston (Texas) Eisenhower
On3 Consensus: No. 70
#AllGasNoBrakes

Ryan Niblett - Aldine Eisenhower - WR

Ryan Niblett is a WR from Aldine Eisenhower in Houston, TX. Ryan Niblett is committed to the Texas Longhorns

www.on3.com

WR Jonah Wilson, Spring (Texas) Dekaney
On3 Consensus: No. 257

Jonah Wilson - Dekaney - WR

Jonah Wilson is a WR from Dekaney in Houston, TX.

www.on3.com

OT Jaydon Chatman, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights
On3 Consensus: No. 292
The competition: Oklahoma, LSU, Texas A&M

Jaydon Chatman - Harker Heights - IOL

Jaydon Chatman is a IOL from Harker Heights in Harker Heights, TX.

www.on3.com

OT Trevor Goosby, Melissa (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 459
The competition: TCU verbal

Trevor Goosby - Melissa - OT

Trevor Goosby is a OT from Melissa in Melissa, TX. Trevor Goosby is committed to the TCU Horned Frogs

www.on3.com

IOL Connor Stroh, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland
On3 Consensus: No. 477
The competition: Texas A&M

Connor Stroh - Wakeland - IOL

Connor Stroh is a IOL from Wakeland in Frisco, TX.

www.on3.com

IOL Andre Cojoe, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview
On3 Consensus: No. 704
The competition: TCU

Andre Cojoe - Mansfield Timberview - IOL

Andre Cojoe is a IOL from Mansfield Timberview in Arlington, TX.

www.on3.com

DL Dylan Spencer, Houston (Texas) C.E. King
On3 Consensus: No. 250
#AllGasNoBrakes

Dylan Spencer - C.E. King - DL

Dylan Spencer is a DL from C.E. King in Houston, TX. Dylan Spencer is committed to the Texas Longhorns

www.on3.com

EDGE Braylan Shelby, Friendswood (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 186
The competition: USC, and maybe Texas A&M

Braylan Shelby - Friendswood - EDGE

Braylan Shelby is a EDGE from Friendswood in Friendswood, TX.

www.on3.com

EDGE Billy Walton, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff
On3 Consensus: No. 681
The competition: Oklahoma State verbal

Billy Walton - South Oak Cliff - EDGE

Billy Walton is a EDGE from South Oak Cliff in Dallas, TX. Billy Walton is committed to the Oklahoma State Cowboys

www.on3.com

LB/EDGE Derion Gullette, Marlin (Texas) High
On3 Consensus: No. 121
The competition: Texas A&M, Alabama and Ohio State

Derion Gullette - Marlin - EDGE

Derion Gullette is a EDGE from Marlin in Marlin, TX.

www.on3.com

LB Anthony Hill, Denton (Texas) Ryan
On3 Consensus: No. 14
The competition: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and maybe USC

Anthony Hill - Ryan - LB

Anthony Hill is a LB from Ryan in Denton, TX.

www.on3.com

LB S’Maje Burrell, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley
On3 Consensus: No. 230
#AllGasNoBrakes

S'Maje Burrell - North Crowley - LB

S'Maje Burrell is a LB from North Crowley in Fort Worth, TX. S'Maje Burrell is committed to the Texas Longhorns

www.on3.com

S Derek Williams, New Iberia (La.) Westgate
On3 Consensus: No. 30
The competition: Alabama

Nahlin:

A team that goes 5-7 has no business landing the the nation‘s No 1 prospect, let alone the latest model from the Manning family quarterback assembly line, right?

I forgive anyone who thought Inside Texas was off its rocker for covering this recruitment so earnestly, but anyone who read this site understood this development was possible for myriad, complementary reasons.

It starts with the Mannings and their general fondness for the school. We knew Cooper Manning almost went to UT, and then more famously Eli Manning nearly did as well. But what really caught our attention was when we learned how close Cooper and Ellen Manning were to sending their daughter May to UT. Okay, so now we know the family’s fondness extended into the younger generation. Interesting.

I would go on to find out how well Cooper fit in with a subset of Texas-ex businessmen, mostly living in Dallas. I knew he had friends all over — and would later learn that extended to Georgia alums — but these were relationships that went well beyond business.

That’s all fine and well, but Cooper went to Ole Miss like his father and brother and surely his son will do the same. That’s not what the early information led us to believe. Early on it wasn’t so cut and dried Ole Miss wouldn’t be a factor, but it was clear long before Arch would pick his school.

So maybe there’s a chance, but the Mannings aren’t going to let Tom Herman turn Arch into a Zamboni like they did Sam Ehlinger, so the story was on hold.

When Steve Sarkisian replaced Tom Herman, the story came out of the deep freeze to thaw. Almost immediately after Sark was hired I had people calling me to say how big this could be for Arch. Arch? At the time I was focused on Quinn Ewers but the details were interesting. IT learned the Mannings viewed Sark as a top-five offensive mind in college football and it was pretty clear Arch wouldn’t be playing for any of the other four.

We put that story on the small burner to simmer until Quinn Ewers picked Ohio State when we turned up the heat. Arch visited Texas in the summer of 2021. He was off a recent Clemson visit that produced a ton of buzz, but the end result was they really liked Dabo Swinney and the school setting, but the offense made it a no-go. Meanwhile the Texas visit went very well and Sarkisian was already pulling consensus building levers between Arch and a handful of top prospects.

As summer ended Clemson was mostly out, if not entirely. Ole Miss was already out. LSU was a non-factor. As Arch began his junior year, this race narrowed down to Texas, Georgia, and Alabama, even if many didn’t realize it.

That brings us to that 5-7 record. No matter how much the Mannings liked Sark, relationships wouldn’t be enough to seal it, right? No, that wasn’t enough, but Texas had so many other factors going for it. Here are just a few:

— The staff Sark assembled was very well suited to work as a team and win this recruitment. Along with Sark’s reputation for offense and quarterback development, AJ Milwee’s demeanor and personality was seen as a perfect fit for Arch (and the coaches at Isidore Newman, who he struck deep bonds with). On top of that, Terry Joseph played a key introductory role and always had his ear to the street. You have to approach recruitments in a way that is custom fit to the recruit’s personality and Texas, with the help of Joseph, did just that. Also assisting was Kyle Flood. He took a more prominent role in the recruitment after his fantastic offensive line haul, which itself was a key factor.

— Texas had campus life in its favor. Arch doesn’t want the attention that comes with playing the quarterback position at a major school. Factor in his last name and it’s even more difficult to blend in. The bigger environment of Austin, which reminded him of New Orleans, benefitted the school.

— To say nothing negative of Georgia, Academics benefitted the school as well. It was refreshing to hear how much education mattered. They were taking nothing for granted with Arch and the NFL. Perhaps Cooper’s own injury history and success in the real world gave him such good perspective.

— While Cooper had so many good relationships with Texas-exes, Arch has a number of strong relationships with current Texas students. Every time he visited we heard how comfortable he was on campus — and also how normal he was.

— Quinn Ewers’ reclassification was big. It’s freaking unreal Texas will have both on the roster. That would not have happened without Ewers reclassifying. Sark played that well, by the way. He was honest and up front with the Mannings about the pursuit of Ewers, but made it clear Quinn wasn’t going to be on campus all that long.

If you felt Occam’s razor was ‘Georgia good, Texas bad’ you were going to be wrong from the start. It could have just as easily been comparing Kirby Smart’s quarterback track record compared to Steve Sarkisian’s.

In the end the Mannings made a holistic decision, and the school was set up well to win because of a perfect storm of factors.

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

The way it sounds is MHP has a spot....only a matter of time before he pulls the trigger.

I am not sure I am a huge fan of that. Hasnt broken 11 in the 100 based on my quick look.  I think he is a 4 star safety, I am not sure he is a 4 star WR. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not sure I am a huge fan of that. Hasnt broken 11 in the 100 based on my quick look.  I think he is a 4 star safety, I am not sure he is a 4 star WR. 

They said he’s fine with eventually playing safety. He just wants to play WR first

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Apparently Marion likes him....

I thought he liked Wilson more than anyone on Surly (not the hardest feat). One day Texas was recruiting MHP as a Safety, the next he said he was WR, and the recruitment changed. I assume he likes him at WR, but clearly the staff liked him more at safety. That may still be in the back of their minds. 

1 minute ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Cook and Pettaway

Not sure how we could lose Pettaway, a pefect Sark fit, to some rookie head coach with a defensive background. 

Pettaway may be looking at it from a touch perspective rather than coach. Unfortunate but understandable in a sense that the WR room here is continuing to get stock piled with elite talent where as OU is damn near bare. Bit of a role reversal from the past 10 years 

6 minutes ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

From friends in the coaching world.... Hale has a lot of red flags. WR's tend to lean that way anyways so maybe it's not a big deal. FWIW

yeah.,. News at 11: WR are head cases and OL like to eat dessert. 

It could be anyone. Wilson and/or Pilot may turn out to be great WRs. You dont need to be Megatron to be a damn good player. I just tend to play the odds. Not sure either has any elite physical trait, so I am just playing the odds. Just wondering if the staff should sit down with Arch and see if he he maybe able to open some doors.