Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Good evening you magnificent bastards.  Been on a family get away this week and busy all day.  In Galveston and on the strand earlier and took the kids to La King's Confectionary to see the salt water taffy demonstration when I overheard someone say "Arch Manning committed to Texas" so instantly checked on the phone.  Not sure, but it may have been @closetojumping since he's know to be in the area.

Also, we have this today.

Screenshot_20220623-184743_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 4

Mike at Night: Thoughts on the Arch Manning commitment and everything moving forward

Mike Roach

Disappointed Malcolm In The Middle GIF by Malcolm France

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Thoughts on the Arch Manning commitment and everything moving forward

Mike Roach

— What a day. I'm sure I'll remember this one for a while. Hudson and I were on our way to College Station for the Texas State 7-on-7 tournament and word began to float out that Arch Manning would be making his commitment. We pulled the truck over in the sprawling metropolis of Elm Mott just south of Waco on I-35 and spent nearly two hours baking in the sun doing various podcasts and videos while Hudson wrote furiously from his phone. To say the least, it was a monumental moment in my career and the second time I've covered a Texas commitment from a No. 1 overall prospect following Quinn Ewers a few years ago. What does it all mean?

— Before we get into the ramifications of this move, I want to share a story I heard this morning. I was talking with Arch's head coach Nelson Stewart after the commitment and he said that Peyton and Eli were in town. He spent some time with his uncles yesterday and woke up this morning seemingly locked in on making a commitment. Stewart said he had four missed calls from Arch at 9 AM and knew something was up. I'm not sure if his uncles had a hand in the decision or not, but it was a fun note to pass along.

— We fired off a few Crystal Balls today we've been close on anyway. The first was for Desoto wide receiver Johntay Cook who I felt Texas was on a good path for anyway. I think the Manning commitment probably helps, but I've been bullish on Cook landing in the class anyway. I also entered picks for Mikal Harrison-Pilot and Jonah Wilson. I think Texas made a major move with Harrison-Pilot last week and I think they will make a move for Wilson this weekend.

— Hudson and I also entered picks for four-star running back Cedric Baxter. While we don't feel he's directly tied to Arch, we just love the position Texas is in after their visit. At this point, I think they lead with A&M as the second school in the race for him. Texas established itself following the visit in the spring and built on that in the summer. We're not sure on his timeline and a potential A&M visit could change the math. As of now, I like the position for Texas.

— There have been several other prospects who reached out to Texas immediately after the commitment. I checked into a rumor that DJ Hicks was one of those prospects, but was told by his father that wasn't true. Hicks is planning to return to Austin in the fall though. I think the next week or two could result in a few fireworks. Stay tuned.

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Disappointed Malcolm In The Middle GIF by Malcolm France

Hide contents

Mike Roach

— What a day. I'm sure I'll remember this one for a while. Hudson and I were on our way to College Station for the Texas State 7-on-7 tournament and word began to float out that Arch Manning would be making his commitment. We pulled the truck over in the sprawling metropolis of Elm Mott just south of Waco on I-35 and spent nearly two hours baking in the sun doing various podcasts and videos while Hudson wrote furiously from his phone. To say the least, it was a monumental moment in my career and the second time I've covered a Texas commitment from a No. 1 overall prospect following Quinn Ewers a few years ago. What does it all mean?

— Before we get into the ramifications of this move, I want to share a story I heard this morning. I was talking with Arch's head coach Nelson Stewart after the commitment and he said that Peyton and Eli were in town. He spent some time with his uncles yesterday and woke up this morning seemingly locked in on making a commitment. Stewart said he had four missed calls from Arch at 9 AM and knew something was up. I'm not sure if his uncles had a hand in the decision or not, but it was a fun note to pass along.

— We fired off a few Crystal Balls today we've been close on anyway. The first was for Desoto wide receiver Johntay Cook who I felt Texas was on a good path for anyway. I think the Manning commitment probably helps, but I've been bullish on Cook landing in the class anyway. I also entered picks for Mikal Harrison-Pilot and Jonah Wilson. I think Texas made a major move with Harrison-Pilot last week and I think they will make a move for Wilson this weekend.

— Hudson and I also entered picks for four-star running back Cedric Baxter. While we don't feel he's directly tied to Arch, we just love the position Texas is in after their visit. At this point, I think they lead with A&M as the second school in the race for him. Texas established itself following the visit in the spring and built on that in the summer. We're not sure on his timeline and a potential A&M visit could change the math. As of now, I like the position for Texas.

— There have been several other prospects who reached out to Texas immediately after the commitment. I checked into a rumor that DJ Hicks was one of those prospects, but was told by his father that wasn't true. Hicks is planning to return to Austin in the fall though. I think the next week or two could result in a few fireworks. Stay tuned.

JFC Mike

His big Arch nugget was that he saw his uncles last night. Eli tweeted out a photo of them all together

And he ended three sentences in a row with anyway

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Damn, that was over 20 years ago now.

Also, there's a 63 page 2023 recruiting thread on hornfans?  I thought it was almost as dead as shaggyscat.

Man.  I remember when Bob and Katy split and he started the Fanzone. Those were some fun times 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Gerry says Hicks family has reached out to Sark, Roach says they haven’t 

Roach is waiting for Hicks to enroll before weighing in.  

Also, unless the Hicks family was at pluckers I'm not sure roach would know how to contact them

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:
JFC Mike
His big Arch nugget was that he saw his uncles last night. Eli tweeted out a photo of them all together
And he ended three sentences in a row with anyway

Let's give Mike some slack. This was a big moment for him. It's the second time he's had to report on the number 1 prospect tweeting a commitment. Granted he didn't break the story either time, but he saw it on Twitter right after he put down his Buccees XL refillable cup while he was driving. Also, it was sunny so he had to read it through the glare. Anyways...

Edited by Flash
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

Malik Muhammad and Toviano? I think I'm supposed to call the doctor now since its been longer than 4 hours..

The first time our defense collapses this Fall, your erection will go away. 

• Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, Acropora said:

Roach is waiting for Hicks to enroll before weighing in.  

Also, unless the Hicks family was at pluckers I'm not sure roach would know how to contact them

What’s the story with Hicks, why was he so cold on Texas? I don’t think I’ve ever really heard much of an explanation.

8 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

What’s the story with Hicks, why was he so cold on Texas? I don’t think I’ve ever really heard much of an explanation.

Because we have sucked and we're in the big12, it's not hard.

Manning and the impending SEC sound much better.

Sprinkle in NIL.

Edited by ATexanAbroad