Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

BondLoungeHorn on IT says that Texas has told multiple recruits to wait on announcements. Their big board post Arch is changing. 

Well if BondLoungeHorn posted it, then I believe it yo.

Also, why does Mich-Tex-Cal mean MHP? Meatchicken wasn't even in his top six, or eight, or whatever.

The Huddle: Two down, one to go

Hudson Standish

(Now the attention is focused towards Edgewater’s Cedric Baxter to see if Texas can complete the trifecta. Steve Wiltfong, Mike, and I all entered picks for the No. 2 RB in the country to end up in Austin and feel confident that Texas leads at the moment.")

Spoiler

The Huddle: Two down, one to go

Hudson Standish

With the commitment of 2023 Kahuku (Hawai’i) four-star linebacker Liona Lefau today, Texas now has commitments from two of their three official visitors from the June 10th through 12th weekend.

While Mike and I were on campus to cover the underclassmen focused “Elite Bash” recruiting event that weekend, we mentioned throughout the weekend and the following week that Texas crushed it with Spencer Shannon, Liona Lefau, and Cedric Baxter.

It didn’t take much time with Shannon to pull the trigger on a Texas verbal pledge shortly after his official and we were told Jeff Banks did an amazing job pitching Shannon on the in-line Y role where he could have a chance at earlier than expected playing time.

With Lefau as we’ve mentioned in our commitment stories, Texas was always in the mix in his recruitment but over the spring we heard and reported that he was a legitimate candidate to end up in the Texas class.

Then heading into his official visit we heard more and more buzz that Utah left an opening for Texas to truly take this recruitment by the reins and that’s exactly what they did.

Mike and I anxiously tracked his Oregon visit and after the Ducks seemingly didn’t create much momentum there we had a great feeling that the Texas staff would end up pulling off one of the steals of the cycle and poach Lefau from the west coast.

Now the attention is focused towards Edgewater’s Cedric Baxter to see if Texas can complete the trifecta. Steve Wiltfong, Mike, and I all entered picks for the No. 2 RB in the country to end up in Austin and feel confident that Texas leads at the moment.

The best intel we have is that it will be a preseason commitment for the Floridian with Texas A&M as the chief challenger. The Aggies are still in the process of hosting Baxter on an official visit and we’ll be on the phones all weekend checking to see if A&M could keep pace with the Horns.

Buckle up everybody, it should be a fun weekend.

• Hook 'Em 3