Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

So our potential class on offense is looking like:

QB:  Arch 
RB:  Baxter, Wisner
WR:  Cook, Niblett, MHP.  I would hold off on taking any more commitments here.  Get Peyton/Eli make a few phone calls with Arch to some 5 star national recruits and you’re going to get everyone’s attention.  This class can be sick at WR.  Keep recruiting Hale and Pettaway though the end and see who else calls

OL:  Stroh, Chatman, Cojoe.  I would keep going after Heard and look nationally.

TE:  Randle, Shannon, and put the hard sell on Duce Robinson.  Who knows, maybe he wants to catch passes from a Manning.

Regardless of who ends up in this class, the offense is going to have some big time players.

• Hook 'Em 2

Crystal Ballin: New prediction for four-star defensive target

Hudson Standish

(Punchline:  Early returns from Gullette’s visit give us more confidence that he eventually ends up signing with Texas, so I’m entering a pick at an 8 level of confidence which is normally around the highest I’ll go.)

Spoiler

Crystal Ballin: New prediction for four-star defensive target

Hudson Standish

Two months ago Mike and I mentioned that Texas was in a great spot with the commitment of S’Maje Burrell and seemed to be trending positively for both Liona Lefau and Derion Gullette.

With Burrell and Lefau in the boat I am putting in a prediction for Texas to land Marlin’s Derion Gullette. The freaky athletic LB/EDGE has been one of the biggest priorities on the Texas big board for awhile and we’ve had the feeling leading into the visit that Texas was the team to beat.

Early returns from Gullette’s visit give us more confidence that he eventually ends up signing with Texas, so I’m entering a pick at an 8 level of confidence which is normally around the highest I’ll go.

Mike and I view Gullette as a top 15 player in the state and think he would and I personally think he is a rare versatile athlete that could play either inside backer (where he’s being currently recruited by Jeff Choate) or as an EDGE at the BUCK position.

Texas continues to stack momentum following the Arch Manning commitment and I could see these next two weeks yielding a pretty significant amount of public verbal commitments. Stay tuned to Horns247 throughout the weekend for sideline to sideline recruiting coverage.

247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Gabe Brooks said this about the four-star athlete earlier this year.

“A dominant small-school football player who also shows above-the-rim bounce on the hardwood. Marlin's Derion Gullette further enhanced his athletic profile with a layered track and field performance at the Class 2A state meet. Gullette qualified in the shot put, finishing ninth with a 46-foot, 7-inch throw, and also ran anchor on two medaling relay teams: Marlin's 4x100 (silver) and its 4x200 (bronze). A 2023 Top247 four-star edge prospect, Gullette possesses a unique and varied athletic profile that suggests immense potential.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Gerry yesterday and % chance of Stroh coming to Texas:

IOL Connor Stroh, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland

GH: 48%. Stroh favors the relationship with Kyle Flood, and how hard Texas has recruited him for many months. Still has to get over the finish line in a family of Texas A&M graduates.

Gerry today and % chance of Stroh coming to Texas:

Screenshot_20220625-203316_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, that’s a dead giveaway 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Gerry yesterday and % chance of Stroh coming to Texas:

IOL Connor Stroh, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland

GH: 48%. Stroh favors the relationship with Kyle Flood, and how hard Texas has recruited him for many months. Still has to get over the finish line in a family of Texas A&M graduates.

Gerry today and % chance of Stroh coming to Texas:

Screenshot_20220625-203316_Chrome.jpg

We gonna have an Eric Winston situation here?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

See you in the portal soon, Evan.

Screenshot_20220625-194634_Twitter.thumb.jpg.707b76b6b275ec26ad06ea42be65f0f1.jpg

Naw fuck that guy and his bad decision making ass.

He literally picked just about the worst program in the country, that doesn't run the triple option, for a freshman WR to breakout or to look awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Naw fuck that guy and his bad decision making ass.

He literally picked just about the worst program in the country, that doesn't run the triple option, for a freshman WR to breakout or to look awesome. 

I think his heart was at Texas, but he/his family couldn't say no to the money A&M was throwing at him.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 3