Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

Naw fuck that guy and his bad decision making ass.

He literally picked just about the worst program in the country, that doesn't run the triple option, for a freshman WR to breakout or to look awesome. 

I mean, I wouldn’t say no to >$300K to go to aggy at that age. Or now. If he wanted to transfer you know we’d take him.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I think his heart was at Texaa but he/his family couldn't say no to the money A&M was throwing at him.

It wasn't a zero sum game. He has options everywhere and picked literally the worst local ish p5 option when it counted.

It wasn't like he was offered zero from everyone and say a million from a&m

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

I guess Wilson wasn’t one of the ones the staff told to hold off on committing. 

13 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Gerry says that Marion really likes him and that he offered at Pitt and got sark to offer shortly after he arrived at Texas.

Did he check with the Manning committee?

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Yeah, Wilson and Stroh are ones where I will have to just trust the corches 

We have a unique opportunity to shoot for the stars, so hopefully we don't fill up early with some bread. We need to recruit like Bama and UGA, two programs that usually get players who are top 10-20sh in their positions. Sure there will be some outliers, but you have to recruit at that level to beat Bama and UGA in the SEC. Too many 3 and low 4 stars is not going to cut it. I refuse to trust the corches until they prove themselves on the field. Marion might have like Wilson at Pitt, but Sark needs to recruit at a much higher level.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We have a unique opportunity to shoot for the stars, so hopefully we don't fill up early with some bread. We need to recruit like Bama and UGA, two programs that usually get players who are top 10-20sh in their positions. Sure there will be some outliers, but you have to recruit at that level to beat Bama and UGA in the SEC. Too many 3 and low 4 stars is not going to cut it. I refuse to trust the corches until they prove themselves on the field. Marion might have like Wilson at Pitt, but Sark needs to recruit at a much higher level.

It's early, rankings change a lot, trusting the coaches now.... Also Pitt seemed to be able to evaluate WR talent recently....

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's early, rankings change a lot, trusting the coaches now.... Also Pitt seemed to be able to evaluate WR talent recently....

I agree it's early and rankings can change and Pitt just produced a great WR, but I have a battered horn syndrome from none of our lowly recruited WRs working out. They just take up roster spots. I firmly believe you need to recruit highly ranked skilled players. Gotta stack the WR and RB rooms with elite talent like we did with the QB room. 

12 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

His son has a very severe and rare genetic disorder (KAT6A - only 150 or so identified cases) in addition to autism.  Langi is very open on twitter about his son's condition and the help they've gotten in Austin.  You can't help but root for the guy and hope that he continues to succeed here. 

He's also a great guy. One of my closest friends used to work with him before Jake switched careers and came to UT. My friend says he would (and has) have no hesitation trusting Jake with his life.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Check Wilson's film. He's smooth AF.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, mwaadeeb said:

I watched his HUDL. Nothing against the kid and I am sure Marion likes him, but I didn't see breakaway speed from the highlights. Most of his catches were jump balls. Admittedly I am not an expert. I was just making a generic statement with regards to taking advantage of this unique opportunity for us to recruit the best skilled players around the country like Riley did at OU when he had top QBs and not settle.

Edited by UTEE97

12 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

He is smooth, i wonder a bit about his top end speed. I believe Hamilton said a faster and more sure handed Marcus Washington as a comp. As a fourth WR he isn't a bad take, but we must not be feeling great about Pettaway, Brown, or Hale if he is in the picture.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He is smooth, i wonder a bit about his top end speed. I believe Hamilton said a faster and more sure handed Marcus Washington as a comp. As a fourth WR he isn't a bad take, but we must not be feeling great about Pettaway, Brown, or Hale if he is in the picture.

I am in the same camp. I just don’t see anything elite in the film. I am talking about size, speed, and COD. He will have to be a technician and have that 6th sense to find gaps in a defense to be be high level, which is in the realm of possibilities. Wilson and Pilot-Harrison seem like a divergence from Sark’s master plan at WR (speed, speed, and more speed), which maybe playing a factor in my view of them

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am in the same camp. I just don’t see anything elite in the film. I am talking about size, speed, and COD. He will have to be a technician and have that 6th sense to find gaps in a defense to be be high level, which is in the realm of possibilities. Wilson and Pilot-Harrison seem like a divergence from Sark’s master plan at WR (speed, speed, and more speed), which maybe playing a factor in my view of them

Well lucky for us, we have coaches that will make that decision.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, theBigHen said:

At a wedding rn in Crested Butte and it looks like @RGBIII is here or his doppelgänger is. Either way, good energy and positive vibes are coming our way brothers and sisters.  

Wasn’t me, I got drunk and fell asleep on the couch. But I bet Tom had a good time, was he with Michelle or Kendra? 

• Haha 4