Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

At safety, I think they are still on him with that in mind. This has a Bru feel to it, where his upside is on defense 

Harrison-Pilot is a take as a slot receiver. A slot doesn't have to be fast but quick. Besides, Pilot is on pace to be a 10.7 kid (ran 11 flat as a junior), and that is fast enough for the position. He's going to have really good size as well. He could even play some running back. A little bit of Whittington in his game. 

We absolutely do need to land some speed guys in the class. It's really hard to comprehend losing Pettaway.

5 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Harrison-Pilot is a take as a slot receiver. A slot doesn't have to be fast but quick. Besides, Pilot is on pace to be a 10.7 kid (ran 11 flat as a junior), and that is fast enough for the position. He's going to have really good size as well. He could even play some running back. A little bit of Whittington in his game. 

We absolutely do need to land some speed guys in the class. It's really hard to comprehend losing Pettaway.

We shall see if he breaks 11 and goes to 10.7. It is funny how someone said trust the coaches on Wilson and now we are ignoring the coaches and trusting the crystal balls.  Coaches wanted him at safety based on their assessment. They had to veer off that when he said he wanted to start at Receiver. This isn’t Tom Herman’s WR room where you only play a specific position as a WR. Sark likes to love guys around and hunt for match-ups. I get the feeling the coaches think enough of him to let him start at WR with the idea they can move him to Their preferred position at Safety if it doesn’t work out 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

BTW, there is still processing - and some guys will self-process. As for Wilson, he may not have NFL speed but he has some Lil'Jordan Humphrey to him.

He can still be a player for Texas. He will be surrounded with speed. There is a role for a sure handed WR that can run good routes. Marion truly liked him, so he definitely sees something 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

We shall see if he breaks 11 and goes to 10.7. It is funny how someone said trust the coaches on Wilson and now we are ignoring the coaches and trusting the crystal balls.  Coaches wanted him at safety based on their assessment. They had to veer off that when he said he wanted to start at Receiver. This isn’t Tom Herman’s WR room where you only play a specific position as a WR. Sark likes to love guys around and hunt for match-ups. I get the feeling the coaches think enough of him to let him start at WR with the idea they can move him to Their preferred position at Safety if it doesn’t work out 

Phrasing Archer GIF - Phrasing Archer Hey - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Wilson was a take prior to Arch, but not a take now. Got it Surly. 

Marcus Washington was a take for Herman but not for Sark. See how that works? Things change and you upgrade talent when you're in a position to do so.

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Wilson was a take prior to Arch, but not a take now. Got it Surly. 

That is an odd take. Plenty wondered about his upside prior to Arch commuting. The idea that Arch’s commitment has no effect on the recruiting board is bizarre. Recruiting momentum is a real thing and a commitment like Arch or a big win can shift your options. I highly doubt even with the money thrown around that A&M gets the #1 class, if they didn’t beat Bama. That win changed their narrative, just like Arch committing changes the narrative for Texas 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just because they wanted him at safety doesn't mean they didn't like him at receiver. For athletic kids at skill positions, who don't need to add much weight and run well on film at en early age, you can usually expect to see a two-tenths of a second improvement year-to-year in high school. I think that's a fair assessment, although it can vary quite a bit. He shows the film and has the body type to even get faster in college.

He may have originally wanted to play safety. If a skill player of his athleticism is willing to play defense, many college coaches prefer to switch them to that side of the ball.

He is a really good receiver prospect IMO. I'm not concerned with his speed. I do agree with you that the rest of slots, and the receiver position in general, has to be upgraded. We need more speed. Texas needs to double down on Pettaway. If they want to take one big receiver, then take 5 at the position this year.

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Chatman is a great pickup.. I like Cojoe too.. as a contributor during his RS-Soph season

Behind the class we just signed, all the guys we're recruiting are great pickups. Two projects with high upside who are both giants in Cojoe & Stroh. 995 says Cojoe is 16/17 yrs old. Chatman can pick his school, everyone wants him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Behind the class we just signed, all the guys we're recruiting are great pickups. Two projects with high upside who are both giants in Cojoe & Stroh. 995 says Cojoe is 16/17 yrs old. Chatman can pick his school, everyone wants him. 

Gerry Hamilton is very high on Goosby as well and wants Texas to flip him.  Says the kid got great tackle potential.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Cojoe clearly passes the "be fucking huge" Flood mandate... he any good otherwise?

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m a bit surprised we’d take some of these pledges too. Stroh and Cojoe are massive and fit Floods size queen-ness, but both low ranked and have the offer lists to match those rankings. It does seem like a weak year for in state OLs though and given the class we just pulled, probably ok to take some flyers.

Wilson got a tOSU offer this year and they know WRs, so I’ll trust the coaches there. 

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I’m a bit surprised we’d take some of these pledges too. Stroh and Cojoe are massive and fit Floods size queen-ness, but both low ranked and have the offer lists to match those rankings. It does seem like a weak year for in state OLs though and given the class we just pulled, probably ok to take some flyers.

Wilson got a tOSU offer this year and they know WRs, so I’ll trust the coaches there. 

Sam Pittman wants Connor Stroh.  In the same way everyone trusts Kyle Whittingham for LB evals you should trust Sam Pittman on the OL.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

You are probably following some fake Gerry Hamilton bot. I’ve never seen Gerry Hamilton claim that there was any such thing as a high schooler with great tackle potential. 

It really doesn’t matter who Texas has committed or recruiting for them in this cycle on the OL. They’re going to have to take a few developmental guys due to the OL group they just brought in. If they get a few like like Chatman also, then holy shit. 

image.png.81cb574e329996af78811232ce5a9742.png

His word is upside at tackle

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Wilson got a tOSU offer this year and they know WRs, so I’ll trust the coaches there

tOSU ended up with this WR haul instead. You watch their tapes or Cook's tape and you clearly see they are better prospects with top high end speed. Screenshot_20220626-110810_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b4779fe412edad727f7ca82c8f6edb45.jpg

3 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

I firmly believe you need to recruit highly ranked skilled players. Gotta stack the WR and RB rooms with elite talent like we did with the QB room. 

Take the word ranked out and what does it really change?

The rest of it should be put in a letter and express mailed to the staff. Game-changing stuff!

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

He is smooth, i wonder a bit about his top end speed. I believe Hamilton said a faster and more sure handed Marcus Washington as a comp. As a fourth WR he isn't a bad take, but we must not be feeling great about Pettaway, Brown, or Hale if he is in the picture.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

This could be almost anyone.

Seriously. That’s broader than just about anything other than a skinnier, more intelligent version of Ketch. 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Goodman said:

You mean like having a football program? Who wants that? Start the freshmen every season!

I like what Sark is doing. I don't know shit about the quality of the players we recruit if they're not elitely ranked. I'm not sure how much I know about those guys, either. Generally, I have a picture of the program and firmly agree with Goodman. 

I'm guessing that having some of these big, young linemen in need of development pays off in practice as well as possibly on the field. If the DL mostly practices against second teamers, at least make them big strong second teamers.

The Ewers and Manning acquisitions have definitely ticked up my level of optimism. We've recruited linemen and guys across the board. I see a favorable trend over the next few years. If I'm wrong? I suppose I'll be excoriated as a pumper. I care deeply about that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

No kidding. I don't know how much more abuse my liver can take. I think I'll write an open letter to recruits asking them to please consider my liver function before deciding on their timelines.

Dude you run a very popular Twitter account. The answer’s right there: you’re gonna have to tweet at them. 

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Wells said that Chatman was a better athlete than any of the 22 OL we signed. I find that hard to believe, but does speak to why he's highly wanted by our recruiting rivals. Would be a huge HTHTH over Venables and Fisher.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2