Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Suchomel had a write up on the weekend

Spoiler

Been working the phones today and have actually had quite a bit of luck in tracking down the official visitors that were on campus this weekend. I’ll have more detailed reports when I’m able to catch my breath, but some highlights from my conversations …

Trevor Goosby said it was a very good visit overall. He’s currently spending some time with family that lives in Austin. Goosby said he’s going to take some time to weigh his options with his family before deciding if he’ll stick with TCU or flip to Texas. Texas A&M, which recently offered, isn’t much of a factor. I expect TCU will counter-punch in the coming days but Texas is in a very good spot as of today.

Jaydon Chatman said he enjoyed the trip and it’s now time to come to a decision. He doesn’t have an exact timetable for when he’ll announce, but said it will be soon, probably a couple weeks at the most. Technically, all four of the schools he’s visited – Texas, OU, A&M and LSU – are still in play. Realistically, it’s just two that have been considered. Texas is one of the two ... the other is a bit of a surprise. Really like UT’s position in this one.

I haven’t talked to Connor directly since the visit (I’ll catch up with him tonight) but things couldn’t have gone better for Texas. This one was always believed it would be a UT and A&M battle and I like the Horns’ chances to win out in the very near future.

Ryan Niblett had told us when he first committed that he’d probably take other visits. After this weekend, he said he doesn’t see that happening. Spent a lot of time with guys like Johntay Cook and Quinn Ewers, and worked on recruiting Jonah Wilson

The Oklahoma State commit absolutely raved about his visit. He’s still committed to OSU but has some thinking to do. If Texas continues to push here, my money is comfortably on the Longhorns.

I caught up with Derek Williams before he boarded his plane and he tells me it was a great visit. Plans to take his time and take his other visits in the fall, so lots of time left in this one. He lists Texas, Bama, Miami, Clemson, A&M and LSU as schools that are standing out.

Dylan Spencer said he feels even better about his commitment now than he did before the visit, and he was solid before the visit. Was hosted by T’Vondre Sweat and Alfred Collins and said he worked on recruiting Braylan Shelby.

We continue to hear great things on UT’s chances with some of the other visitors, guys like Johntay Cook, Derion Gullette, Jonah Wilson and Andre Cojoe. I have FutureCast predictions in for all of them to go to Texas and I feel pretty good about those picks.

I talked briefly with Braylan Shelby but he wanted me to call him back after he made it home. Shelby did tell me the visit went very well though and in talking to people who spent time around him, they feel like Texas is in a good spot coming out of the weekend.

Lastly, I’ll work on getting an Anthony Hill update later today, but grapevine talk this weekend is that Texas may actually be the team to beat in that one after Hill spent the weekend with former teammates Ja’Tavion Sanders and Austin Jordan.

And some other info taken from his comments

Spoiler

Texas looks good with Muhammad. No clue when Baxter will announce, honestly. But everyone and their brother is expecting him to publicly commit to Texas at some point.

Stroh actually commited on Friday, Jonah committed last night.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Sorry I expected better returns from Arch's commitment, which may come later. We keep getting the same results on the field year after year and yet we forget that the reason for that was recruiting. Then the offseason comes and we celebrate our recruiting class again. We need to break the cycle. Sorry for being grumpy but I am tired of fielding bad teams and then blame the recruiting class.

I didn't know toxic shock was still a thing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Sorry I expected better returns from Arch's commitment, which may come later. We keep getting the same results on the field year after year and yet we forget that the reason for that was recruiting. Then the offseason comes and we celebrate our recruiting class again. We need to break the cycle. Sorry for being grumpy but I am tired of fielding bad teams and then blame the recruiting class.

But last years recruiting class was very good

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Tbh I get it, but you have to remember that this is a relatively weak instate OL class and we just pulled a monster 7-person class. We were never going to repeat that along the OL this year. If we start taking bready WRs I’d be more concerned but that doesn’t seem to be happening.  

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

debbie downer GIF

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We keep getting the same results on the field year after year and yet we forget that the reason for that was recruiting.

What are you? A goddamn goldfish?

You've shared with us that you think coaches should recruit the most skilled players they can at every position.

Now you share that on the field performance as it relates to recruiting is some subtle observation that escapes our memories. We should be thankful that you are here to remind us.

If you're going to be obvious, at least attempt to be clever.

Also, you don't need and before yet.

Edit to add:

Yes it was but it had some holes that we need to fill this year. That's what will excite me.

I'd like to sign up for the newsletter on what will excite you. Also, is there a streaming service on your level of excitement? I'd like to keep track of that in real time.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

What are you? A goddamn goldfish?

You've shared with us that you think coaches should recruit the most skilled players they can at every position.

Now you share that on the field performance as it relates to recruiting is some subtle observation that escapes our memories. We should be thankful that you are here to remind us.

If you're going to be obvious, at least attempt to be clever.

Also, you don't need and before yet.

You don't have to be thankful for anything. I just expressed my opinion on something that is slightly different from the rest of the group. Is that not allowed? What I said is what most others outside of this ecochamber is saying. Anyway, I am out. 

Edited by UTEE97
  • Fuck You 8

6 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Tbh I get it, but you have to remember that this is a relatively weak instate OL class and we just pulled a monster 7-person class. We were never going to repeat that along the OL this year. If we start taking bready WRs I’d be more concerned but that doesn’t seem to be happening.  

I agree and I am waiting to see what happens with other positions.

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

You don't have to be thankful for anything. I just expressed my opinion on something that is slightly different from the rest of the group. Is that no allowed? What I said is what most others outside of this ecochamber is saying. Anyway, I am out. 

image.gif

• Haha 5

33 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You expected better returns from Arch's commitment? 

It's been 3 days since he committed.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

I actually agree with Nahlin here. These 2 behemoths are relatively pet projects for Flood. The upside is sky high and at worse you have space eaters that have at least shown the ability to play with a nasty streak.

If you line up 5 guys across that are all 6’5’’+ and 330lbs+ Like Flood wants to do, it is going to look like the great wall of China to the Techs and Iowa States of the world. Even if some of those guys are slow footed guards, all they have to do is fall forward for three quarters and then we break them in the fourth.

Edited by Vertigo

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I said this before, but some people on this board would bitch about Kate giving them a blowjob. 

Some people on this board reminds me of permabulls on stocktwits. Management can never do anything wrong and shoot down anyone questioning them. Then they find themselves down 90%. 😂

• Fuck You 1

50 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Jesus Fucking Christ, this place...

GTFOH.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You don't have to be thankful for anything. I just expressed my opinion on something that is slightly different from the rest of the group. Is that not allowed? What I said is what most others outside of this ecochamber is saying. Anyway, I am out. 

Nobody is thinking this about OL recruiting.

Everyone knows the in-state OL talent is down this year and Texas wouldn't be able to land the same talent as last year. That doesn't disprove these are still good takes under the circumstances. 

I don't even follow recruiting closely and I know this. Nobody here is upset over your negativity it's that you're clueless. 

• Hook 'Em 6