Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 minute ago, NoName said:

don't get me wrong, i love the grinders <insert Joe Wickline fan fic here about some underrated player who knows how to shake his hand> but 10/10 times i want the Devon Campbell, Kelvin Banks, Tyler Johnson, Patrick Hudson style of guy over anyone else. give me the guy with NFL measurables who could go in the top 5 of the draft.

side note, going back to like 2016 those are the only top 50 OL we have recruited so not sure what saviors you think Texas has recruited who play on the OL?

Sort of to Eggo's point - now that these 4 have committed Texas has essentially set the floor for the OL class.  Flood can go out and recruit the BPA, whether thats Sewell, Heard, or whoever without worry about also having to recruit the Stroh's and Cojoe's.  And if he doesn't grab one he still has a great class of players who he identified early and fit his profile.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

don't get me wrong, i love the grinders <insert Joe Wickline fan fic here about some underrated player who knows how to shake his hand> but 10/10 times i want the Devon Campbell, Kelvin Banks, Tyler Johnson, Patrick Hudson style of guy over anyone else. give me the guy with NFL measurables who could go in the top 5 of the draft.

side note, going back to like 2016 those are the only top 50 OL we have recruited so not sure what saviors you think Texas has recruited who play on the OL?

Weren't Hayden Connor and Jake Majors top 50 OLs?

1 minute ago, TotallyLegit said:

I believe OL also have a lower transfer rate, so you can stack them a bit more liberally

If OL doesn’t work out you want them to transfer, because they can’t do anything else.  RB, TE, WR, LB, and DB can all play special teams.

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Chatman is a top 100 player and Goosby is likely going to make a big move up the rankings (he has NFL measureables).  Both were being pursued by the bigger programs

Stroh and Cojoe are massive humans who have the size/strength that tingle Flood's plums.  Sam Pittman from Arkansas was very much after Stroh and so was aggy despite what there propagandists are saying now. 

Arch commitment is what got these guys, who Flood identified early, to commit right now rather than dragging out their regional recruitments.

This.

Also, we haven’t seen Archeffect on the portal yet.

Plus our ‘22 line should be really good during Quinn’s final season and peaking by the time Arch takes over and these guy are ready.

If A&M took those guys two years ago we'd be killing them for taking cubes. That said, Chatman is a blue chip. Goosby was under the radar with some pretty elite measurables, and Flood was on the other two really early. This isn't like Herb Hand whiffing on seeds and stems at last call. I despise the trust the coaches mantra but I do think Flood deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one, especially after what he did last cycle. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I generally don't subscribe to "TRUST THE COACHES!!!"... but I trust Kyle Flood.

It's not like you really have to trust Flood anyways. 

2/4 of the OL commits are going to be highly ranked. As someone already said, Goosby is going to get a big recruiting bump. Some posters are acting like all 4 are low 3 star reaches. 

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If A&M took those guys two years ago we'd be killing them for taking cubes. That said, Chatman is a blue chip. Goosby was under the radar with some pretty elite measurables, and Flood was on the other two really early. This isn't like Herb Hand whiffing on seeds and stems at last call. I despise the trust the coaches mantra but I do think Flood deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one, especially after what he did last cycle. 

Slight disagree.  Aggy is a few years removed from their cube recruiting - Turner did a good job moving away from Jimbo's preferred shape.

But, aggy cubes were around 6'3" and 340 pounds, with the ultimate cube being Jordan Jefferson at 6' 330 pounds.  

None of these guys fit that type.

• Hook 'Em 2

Anybody wanna talk WR?

So in the fold, we have Niblett and Wilson. We seem to be in very solid shape with Cook. Same with MH-P but given he’s a part of this class, he’ll get a shot at wideout but is still being recruited as an ATH.

Still pursue Hale, I assume? Pettaway seems hot/cold with us. Any flip contenders? Or are we done?

Just now, Don Hornleone said:

Anybody wanna talk WR?

So in the fold, we have Niblett and Wilson. We seem to be in very solid shape with Cook. Same with MH-P but given he’s a part of this class, he’ll get a shot at wideout but is still being recruited as an ATH.

Still pursue Hale, I assume? Pettaway seems hot/cold with us. Any flip contenders? Or are we done?

I wonder if getting Arch puts us back in the race for Jalen Brown, who I know was interested before but had cooled off as of recently.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Brown-46085480/

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

8 of our last 11 OL commits are consensus 4/5 stars (per Gerry), and that's not to say the current 3 star guys should be, or will remain there. Stacking high ceiling guys is a luxury, not a negative. 

they're also huge motherfuckers.  nothing to lose

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Pretty much all this. The thing is, it just ain't a great year for OL in Texas. Even the "top" guys like Sewell and Reed are good players, but not 5-star war daddies. In that situation, it's not indefensible to take a couple monster human beings (Stroh and Cojoe) and a guy in Goosby with an ideal tackle body and great measurables. Chatman is a guy you'd be happy to have in the class in any year. Flood got on these particular guys early and Arch helped him seal the deal. This is so far away from whiffing on a fucking Plan C like Ryan Lengyel.

I don't think it's realistic for the Arch commitment to immediately put us in the thick of things with national 5-star type OL. I do hope that we go big game hunting for one of those guys now that we've set a nice floor for the class, whether that means Heard or someone else.

21 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

None of these guys are cubes. Cubes are 6'0-6'3 guys that have no upside. Actually, Henson would have loved this class. They are freaking giants.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Anybody wanna talk WR?

Recently it was reported that the staff told a prospect on campus the number is 4. I think it's actually 5 if it includes Hale or a random numbers buster we haven't heard from yet. Jalen Brown faded and I think the Florida schools sunk their talons in.

The most likely WR class is Niblett, Wilson, Cook, and MHP with Greathouse headed to ND and continuing to work on Hale. 

Just now, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

Recently it was reported that the staff told a prospect on campus the number is 4. I think it's actually 5 if it includes Hale or a random numbers buster we haven't heard from yet. Jalen Brown faded and I think the Florida schools sunk their talons in.

The most likely WR class is Niblett, Wilson, Cook, and MHP with Greathouse headed to ND and continuing to work on Hale. 

conceding Pettaway?

14 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Anybody wanna talk WR?

jalen hale looks like such a stud

• Hook 'Em 2

The Scoop (probably explains why Wilson was a take)

Spoiler
By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

Just a few days after landing Arch Manning the 2023 class has really begun to take shape. Since the commitment, Texas has landed linebacker Liona Lefau, wide receiver Jonah Wilson, offensive lineman Connor Stroh, offensive lineman Andre Cojoe, offensive lineman Jaydon Chatman, and offensive lineman Trevor Goosby.

IT remains on watch for a handful of potential commitments in the coming days. The Arch effect is even greater than the coaches thought it would be…

Johntay Cook, WR, Desoto (Texas):
Team building can occur in many different forms or fashion, but Cook, Texas running back pledge Tre Wisner, and UT quarterback Quinn Ewers getting tattoos is next level. Chris Simms and Kyle Shanahan approve.

The 6-foot, 170-pound lightning-in-a-bottle made his way to Austin for an official visit after helping Desoto capture the State 7-on-7 championship in College Station on Saturday.

Cook has been trending to Texas for a solid stretch and after this weekend you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who believes he’ll end up elsewhere. Cook doesn’t want to appear to follow New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman quarterback Arch Manning, and that might be the only reason he’s not currently committed.

After dropping a top three on Friday - Texas, Oregon, Michigan - it’s safe to say the Horns are still leading this race.

Decision timeline is whenever he feels like it but Texas is in great position and likely won’t have to wait too much longer.

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan:
If you read Justin’s post after talking to Hill’s father this will make even more sense: Texas leads coming out of the visit. This isn’t just visit high talk, either.

We have messaged and talked with numerous sources on this recruitment and we feel Texas did everything it needed to and then some to emerge as the leader over the weekend.

It is not over, and of course A&M remains a threat and has confidence, but we like how this one has trended favorably in the last few days.

Timeline is going to be interesting. We’ve heard some say soon, while others think if he doesn’t go soon it will go well into the season. You can bet UT and A&M are trying to close him.

Billy Walton, EDGE, Dallas (South Oak Cliff):
The “Oklahoma State” pledge was blown away by his official visit to Texas this weekend.

He tells Inside Texas that it was his best visit yet. Is he still a take in this cycle? Yes, if he de-commits from Oklahoma State he has a spot in the class.

The coaches are aggressively leveraging guys into the class.

As we’ve written numerous times, Walton is cousins and teammates with elite cornerback Malik Muhammad.

Derion Gullette, LB, Marlin (Texas):
Hosted by Derrick Brown and UT pledge S’Maje Burrell, the 6-foot-3, 225-pound freak athlete really enjoyed his official on the Forty Acres.

Gullette has been a priority throughout this cycle, and ever since the Texas Relays he’s looked at the Longhorns in a brighter light. Gullette is being sold on the ability to potentially play all three LB spots. The staff gushes about his versatility.

Alabama, LSU, and Texas A&M have all come calling, but Ohio State might be UT’s top competition. The Buckeyes are selling LBU with development and NFL draft picks. Still, this feels like the four-star prefers to stay closer to home and it’s fair to say Texas leads comfortably.

Gullette will follow up with the Texas staff on Monday and we wouldn’t rule out that conversation entailing a commitment. Obviously, that would be a big one.

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood (Texas):
Inside Texas believes the Longhorns have pulled even with USC for Shelby, or perhaps even nudged past. Texas answered all the academic questions, and Shelby is comfortable with being a student at Texas and living in Austin. Shelby believes he will be developed at Texas. And Arch Manning is working on getting Shelby in the boat.

Bottom line: Texas had a good weekend and put itself in a solid position but this one isn’t quite over yet. Shelby wants to discuss things further with his family. Timeline could be relatively soon and we think UT holds the edge.

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate
Did somebody say momentum in Louisiana? Smack dab in the middle of Arch committing to Texas and Alabama safety Tony Mitchell committing to Bama, UT’s biggest priority safety visited Austin. Texas has a great feel for this recruitment given the frequency of trips Williams has made to Austin and the staff has made to Louisiana. We heard the visit was a smashing success, but don’t yet know if it’s enough to get him off his late timeline. If it is, then getting his first official visit was a stroke of genius. If he doesn’t commit, you can bet he’ll be back at least one more time, probably for the Bama game.

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn
One of UT’s top corner targets took an official visit to Tennessee this weekend.

At 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, the On3 four-star has notched offers from LSU, Stanford, and Alabama over the last month but Terry Joseph and Steve Sarkisian are keeping the pulse of the talented defender.

He wants to take his official visit to Austin in early September for the Alabama contest. But by that time, he could be committed to his future school.

Texas remains the team to beat and the newfound momentum sure can’t hurt. Matthews will take an unofficial visit to Texas the last week of July.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff:
Fresh off his official visit to Texas last weekend, the highly rated cornerback visited Alabama and Texas A&M in recent days. He received plenty of attention from Nick Saban, seeing him on at least three occasions. He also spent quality time with Alabama players. Bama is selling him on being the next Patrick Surtain.

The A&M visit went well, too, though a source said of each school they’ve been to both so many times they didn’t see too much new.

This one is impossible to handicap. Malik profiles well to Texas but it doesn’t sound like this recruitment will come to a close in the immediate future.

It seems more likely he’ll stay instate, but Bama can’t be ruled out.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, WR, Temple (Texas):
The only roadblock IT can see to Texas landing the pure football player is if Cal had one of the best visits in the history of recruiting. We have yet to catch up with him since his official visit to Berkeley over the weekend, but things were looking good for Texas before Manning committed and even better after the commitment.

He has wanted to take his time on a decision but spots are going pretty fast at his position and we’re monitoring him closely in case he jumps his timeline.

(cont.)

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake and Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas):
After accepting the commitment of Spring (Texas) Dekaney wideout Jonah Wilson, it leaves questions on the current targets remaining on the board.

Greathouse loves Notre Dame, the Horns’ biggest thorn in this recruitment. He’s popped into Texas practice a number of times already, so we know the interest is reciprocal.

Hale is a big fan of Georgia and Alabama, with Texas, USC, and Texas A&M jockeying for third. His inability to make it to Austin for an official visit before July’s dead period could close the chapter on this book, at least for now. We’re certainly monitoring it, but maybe that’s why the staff chose to shut down Wilson.

Zalance Heard, Monroe (La.) Neville
Heard made contact with Texas over the weekend. The Arch Manning commitment has resonated. Texas has not shut the door on this recruitment despite landing four(!) offensive lineman on Sunday.

Payton Kirkland, Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips
Texas and On3 Consensus four-star OL Payton Kirkland remains in touch. He was originally scheduled to make an OV mid-week following a Miami OV, but that had to be pushed back. Kirkland has stayed in communication with Texas this weekend. He’s scheduled to make a decision in late July, currently.

Cedric Baxter, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater
It’s a UT and A&M battle for the top running back in the country. That’s at least in part good because that means he’s more than comfortable leaving his region. Is he going to leave that region to go to College Station or to follow in Bijan Robinson’s footsteps in Austin? I know what sounds realistic on the surface. Below the surface, Jimbo Fisher will do everything within his power to keep Texas from capitalizing on the Arch Manning generated momentum and the Aggies are being extremely aggressive. One person who interacted with Baxter over the weekend put it at 50/50, though he was getting more of the A&M side of the story.

Sources still feel good about UT’s chances, but his visit to College Station is certainly a wild card and it’s tough to rule out any outcome. In a week of huge recruiting storylines, this is the biggest.

Edited by westexhorn
Coffee hasn't kicked in woops
  • Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Why are we loading up on (what 247 says are) 3 star linemen?  They fit Flood's requirements?  Just curious why Arch wouldn't attract a much higher caliber of linemen.

I wouldn’t look at the site rankings for OL evaluations.  It’s probably the position they hit on the least as far as rankings.  Chatman is an elite level prospect and one of the top players on our board.  Ou, LSU, aggy, Bama are all recruiting him.  He’s a guy that you can expect to contribute year 1 and to compete with the elite guys last year.  

Last years haul was once in a generation type of class.  Bama might be the only school to have multiple 5 star and 4 star guys in one class.  You’ll be disappointed every year if you are expecting this.  If it makes you feel better, Flood offered Stroh and Cojoe first and has been on them from the start.  Flood is regarded one of the best OL evaluators and developers along with Cristobal and Sam Pittman.  

Stroh is a massive kid and a power lifter.  He’s going to shed a lot of the weight off once he reshapes his body from being a power lifter.  If he hits, he’s a mammoth.

All Ojomo jokes aside, Cojoe is going to be 16 when he enrolls in December.  He’s 6’6 and 330 lbs with an 86 inch wingspan.  He’s probably a high level prospect in the 2023 class but he’s competing with guys older than him.  He will have 2 years of college S&C and nutrition by the time he is 18-19 years old.  You know how you build depth? You take players with measurable, stash them away for 2-3 years, and then plug them in when your starting OL graduate and leave for the draft.

I don’t know much about Gooseby.  I know aggy was recruiting him along with other regional schools.  

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Top 3 class

Probably not unless we just ball out this season and land/flip some late national prospects  I think it will be a top 5 really solid class, especially on the heels of a teriffic class last year, but even with Arch and Baxter, it wont have enough of the top level 5 star recruits to be that high. You would need to start landing the Anthony Hills (guess there is a shot there) and David Hicks (think that train has left the station) to be a top 3 class.  We are still sorely missing the elite DL/edge rushers.

And while I think the 2024 TX recruiting class is a bit down compared to the last couple, there are some great options there to fill that need with guys like Zina (Allen) and Simmons (Duncanville)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

The Stampede (probably explains why Wilson was a take)

Reveal hidden contents
By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

Just a few days after landing Arch Manning the 2023 class has really begun to take shape. Since the commitment, Texas has landed linebacker Liona Lefau, wide receiver Jonah Wilson, offensive lineman Connor Stroh, offensive lineman Andre Cojoe, offensive lineman Jaydon Chatman, and offensive lineman Trevor Goosby.

IT remains on watch for a handful of potential commitments in the coming days. The Arch effect is even greater than the coaches thought it would be…

Johntay Cook, WR, Desoto (Texas):
Team building can occur in many different forms or fashion, but Cook, Texas running back pledge Tre Wisner, and UT quarterback Quinn Ewers getting tattoos is next level. Chris Simms and Kyle Shanahan approve.

The 6-foot, 170-pound lightning-in-a-bottle made his way to Austin for an official visit after helping Desoto capture the State 7-on-7 championship in College Station on Saturday.

Cook has been trending to Texas for a solid stretch and after this weekend you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who believes he’ll end up elsewhere. Cook doesn’t want to appear to follow New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman quarterback Arch Manning, and that might be the only reason he’s not currently committed.

After dropping a top three on Friday - Texas, Oregon, Michigan - it’s safe to say the Horns are still leading this race.

Decision timeline is whenever he feels like it but Texas is in great position and likely won’t have to wait too much longer.

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan:
If you read Justin’s post after talking to Hill’s father this will make even more sense: Texas leads coming out of the visit. This isn’t just visit high talk, either.

We have messaged and talked with numerous sources on this recruitment and we feel Texas did everything it needed to and then some to emerge as the leader over the weekend.

It is not over, and of course A&M remains a threat and has confidence, but we like how this one has trended favorably in the last few days.

Timeline is going to be interesting. We’ve heard some say soon, while others think if he doesn’t go soon it will go well into the season. You can bet UT and A&M are trying to close him.

Billy Walton, EDGE, Dallas (South Oak Cliff):
The “Oklahoma State” pledge was blown away by his official visit to Texas this weekend.

He tells Inside Texas that it was his best visit yet. Is he still a take in this cycle? Yes, if he de-commits from Oklahoma State he has a spot in the class.

The coaches are aggressively leveraging guys into the class.

As we’ve written numerous times, Walton is cousins and teammates with elite cornerback Malik Muhammad.

Derion Gullette, LB, Marlin (Texas):
Hosted by Derrick Brown and UT pledge S’Maje Burrell, the 6-foot-3, 225-pound freak athlete really enjoyed his official on the Forty Acres.

Gullette has been a priority throughout this cycle, and ever since the Texas Relays he’s looked at the Longhorns in a brighter light. Gullette is being sold on the ability to potentially play all three LB spots. The staff gushes about his versatility.

Alabama, LSU, and Texas A&M have all come calling, but Ohio State might be UT’s top competition. The Buckeyes are selling LBU with development and NFL draft picks. Still, this feels like the four-star prefers to stay closer to home and it’s fair to say Texas leads comfortably.

Gullette will follow up with the Texas staff on Monday and we wouldn’t rule out that conversation entailing a commitment. Obviously, that would be a big one.

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood (Texas):
Inside Texas believes the Longhorns have pulled even with USC for Shelby, or perhaps even nudged past. Texas answered all the academic questions, and Shelby is comfortable with being a student at Texas and living in Austin. Shelby believes he will be developed at Texas. And Arch Manning is working on getting Shelby in the boat.

Bottom line: Texas had a good weekend and put itself in a solid position but this one isn’t quite over yet. Shelby wants to discuss things further with his family. Timeline could be relatively soon and we think UT holds the edge.

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate
Did somebody say momentum in Louisiana? Smack dab in the middle of Arch committing to Texas and Alabama safety Tony Mitchell committing to Bama, UT’s biggest priority safety visited Austin. Texas has a great feel for this recruitment given the frequency of trips Williams has made to Austin and the staff has made to Louisiana. We heard the visit was a smashing success, but don’t yet know if it’s enough to get him off his late timeline. If it is, then getting his first official visit was a stroke of genius. If he doesn’t commit, you can bet he’ll be back at least one more time, probably for the Bama game.

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn
One of UT’s top corner targets took an official visit to Tennessee this weekend.

At 6-foot-1, 175 pounds, the On3 four-star has notched offers from LSU, Stanford, and Alabama over the last month but Terry Joseph and Steve Sarkisian are keeping the pulse of the talented defender.

He wants to take his official visit to Austin in early September for the Alabama contest. But by that time, he could be committed to his future school.

Texas remains the team to beat and the newfound momentum sure can’t hurt. Matthews will take an unofficial visit to Texas the last week of July.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff:
Fresh off his official visit to Texas last weekend, the highly rated cornerback visited Alabama and Texas A&M in recent days. He received plenty of attention from Nick Saban, seeing him on at least three occasions. He also spent quality time with Alabama players. Bama is selling him on being the next Patrick Surtain.

The A&M visit went well, too, though a source said of each school they’ve been to both so many times they didn’t see too much new.

This one is impossible to handicap. Malik profiles well to Texas but it doesn’t sound like this recruitment will come to a close in the immediate future.

It seems more likely he’ll stay instate, but Bama can’t be ruled out.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, WR, Temple (Texas):
The only roadblock IT can see to Texas landing the pure football player is if Cal had one of the best visits in the history of recruiting. We have yet to catch up with him since his official visit to Berkeley over the weekend, but things were looking good for Texas before Manning committed and even better after the commitment.

He has wanted to take his time on a decision but spots are going pretty fast at his position and we’re monitoring him closely in case he jumps his timeline.

(cont.)

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake and Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (Texas):
After accepting the commitment of Spring (Texas) Dekaney wideout Jonah Wilson, it leaves questions on the current targets remaining on the board.

Greathouse loves Notre Dame, the Horns’ biggest thorn in this recruitment. He’s popped into Texas practice a number of times already, so we know the interest is reciprocal.

Hale is a big fan of Georgia and Alabama, with Texas, USC, and Texas A&M jockeying for third. His inability to make it to Austin for an official visit before July’s dead period could close the chapter on this book, at least for now. We’re certainly monitoring it, but maybe that’s why the staff chose to shut down Wilson.

Zalance Heard, Monroe (La.) Neville
Heard made contact with Texas over the weekend. The Arch Manning commitment has resonated. Texas has not shut the door on this recruitment despite landing four(!) offensive lineman on Sunday.

Payton Kirkland, Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips
Texas and On3 Consensus four-star OL Payton Kirkland remains in touch. He was originally scheduled to make an OV mid-week following a Miami OV, but that had to be pushed back. Kirkland has stayed in communication with Texas this weekend. He’s scheduled to make a decision in late July, currently.

Cedric Baxter, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater
It’s a UT and A&M battle for the top running back in the country. That’s at least in part good because that means he’s more than comfortable leaving his region. Is he going to leave that region to go to College Station or to follow in Bijan Robinson’s footsteps in Austin? I know what sounds realistic on the surface. Below the surface, Jimbo Fisher will do everything within his power to keep Texas from capitalizing on the Arch Manning generated momentum and the Aggies are being extremely aggressive. One person who interacted with Baxter over the weekend put it at 50/50, though he was getting more of the A&M side of the story.

Sources still feel good about UT’s chances, but his visit to College Station is certainly a wild card and it’s tough to rule out any outcome. In a week of huge recruiting storylines, this is the biggest.

Yeah that’s not the Stampede. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby Burton: Longhorns have a recruiting day for the ages

No words. I have no words for what happened on the 40 Acres yesterday. Why? Because in my 30 years of covering recruiting professionally, I’ve never seen anything like it for the Longhorns. Domino after domino fell. It started relatively early Sunday with the pledges of OL Connor Stroh and WR Jonah Wilson and ended late with the flip of OL Trevor Goosby from TCU. Sandwiched in between were two other OL commits, blue chipper Jaydon Chatman and the massive youngster Andre Cojoe.

Even then there was still some thought Texas might get yet another commitment late into the night. One player was considering announcing for Texas at 11 p.m., but instead will likely do so later today. When you’re on a roll in recruiting, it’s like a snowball going downhill. That’s what Texas recruiting feels like right now. For those of us who have witnessed the efforts of Texas recruiting through the years, we realize just how rare a day like yesterday was.

My advice? Enjoy it. Remember it. But also realize that that snowball is still rolling. And it’s picking up more steam. These final days of June could be one for the record books for Longhorn recruiting. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Please make sure you read the Scoop this morning. You won’t find a better piece of writing anywhere on the current state of individual recruitments than that article. I already sent Eric, Justin and Gerry a note this morning about it. It’s one of the most thorough and exciting yet concise recruiting updates I’ve read in 30 years doing this.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's not like you really have to trust Flood anyways. 

2/4 of the OL commits are going to be highly ranked. As someone already said, Goosby is going to get a big recruiting bump. Some posters are acting like all 4 are low 3 star reaches. 

I am completely fine taking some developmental guys, when you are dedicated to taking numbers at OL. 11 OL in the last 2 classes. Herman took 11 4 year players in 4 seasons, excludes JUCO and transfers. Pressure to develop is much different situation currently