Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hold up, hold up. Even satya is posting positive tweets about coaching staff/evals on lower ranked guys? I guess it really is Arch Madness around here. 

The consensus prediction was always that we'd get Reed, Cujoe, and Chatman on OL, with Stroh being too difficult to pull away from A&M. Switch Reed for Stroh and the staff got their guys.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If this kid wants in.  You've gotta make it work

I would think so. Imagine what those clips would look like with a QB that had a big enough arm to get the ball ahead of him.

Didn’t see Chip’s post. Still goes.

Edited by Wishbone
Failure

16 minutes ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Imagine what he would do with a QB that can throw more than 25 yards in the air.

Yeah... my man isn't exactly putting Elway crosses on folks. There are usually two types of receiver highlights. The ones where the receiver shakes his defender and gets open, and the ones where the receiver makes plays in traffic. This is the first highlight reel I've ever seen where both of those situations occur in almost every play. That QB makes Case McCoy look like Jeff George.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If A&M took those guys two years ago we'd be killing them for taking cubes. That said, Chatman is a blue chip. Goosby was under the radar with some pretty elite measurables, and Flood was on the other two really early. This isn't like Herb Hand whiffing on seeds and stems at last call. I despise the trust the coaches mantra but I do think Flood deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one, especially after what he did last cycle. 

After taking instant impact guys last cycle, he is being really smart by taking some guys with a longer development curve this cycle. Each one of these dude will need a minimum of 2 years before they are ready. Stroh needs to work on his feet and keep his body in check, Cojoe just needs to become a legal adult, Chatman needs S&C, as does Goosby. 

The two positions I want to talk about are DT and DB. Everything else seems relatively clear.

At DT, we bought David Hicks and Sydir Mitchell lottery tickets, but that seems about it. Does Markis Deal want OL or DT, I can't remember? Spencer is listed at 240 lbs on 247, so I don't think we can count on him moving inside if that's accurate.

At DB, I assume the number is 5-6. So Johnson (committed) and Williams at S, Muhammad and Matthews at CB? Probably need at least one more. Toviano seems all over the place.

Who am I forgetting?

Edited by tokamak

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hold up, hold up. Even satya is posting positive tweets about coaching staff/evals on lower ranked guys? I guess it really is Arch Madness around here. 

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The consensus prediction was always that we'd get Reed, Cujoe, and Chatman on OL, with Stroh being too difficult to pull away from A&M. Switch Reed for Stroh and the staff got their guys.

EqualAggressiveKodiakbear-size_restricte

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The two positions I want to talk about are DT and DB. Everything else seems relatively clear.

At DT, we bought David Hicks and Sydir Mitchell lottery tickets, but that seems about it. Does Markis Deal want OL or DT, I can't remember? Spencer is listed at 240 lbs on 247, so I don't think we can count on him moving inside if that's accurate.

At DB, I assume the number is 5-6. So Johnson (committed) and Williams at S, Muhammad and Matthews at CB? Probably need at least one more. Toviano seems all over the place.

Pretty sure Deal wants to be a DL and we're the only ones cool with that decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Octavian said:

I wonder if there is actually higher upside to molding Stroh into more of a Mekhi Becton type rather than trying to slim him down. If they can keep him athletic and add 20-30 pounds, he would be an absolute monster.

Connor Stroh is already 345 lbs. In what world do you think adding 20-30 more lbs would keep him athletic? He has "bad" weight on his midsection that he needs to shed.

21 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Who am I forgetting?

I'm waiting for Bo to counter Flood. We need an instant disrupter on DL and haven't had one in years that I can remember.

The OL numbers.

2018 class - Angilau and Jones

2019 class - no one is left

2020 class - Garth, Parr, Karic, Majors, and Goram-Welch

2021 class - Conner and Merrill

After the 2022 season, I could see Conner and Majors being the only OL remaining on this roster from the Herman classes. That would put the OL number at 13 with the current 4 from the 2023 class and why it's likely Flood wants 1 more.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

When the 9.95ers say "At least 2 could be committing", is it wrong to interpret that as "2 will mos def be committing, but maybe more"?

I think that three is the number but they are in the dark on the timeline of the third so they are saying two to be safe. Three was the number reported last night.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

don't get me wrong, i love the grinders <insert Joe Wickline fan fic here about some underrated player who knows how to shake his hand> but 10/10 times i want the Devon Campbell, Kelvin Banks, Tyler Johnson, Patrick Hudson style of guy over anyone else. give me the guy with NFL measurables who could go in the top 5 of the draft.

side note, going back to like 2016 those are the only top 50 OL we have recruited so not sure what saviors you think Texas has recruited who play on the OL?

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/17367909

18 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Connor Stroh is already 345 lbs. In what world do you think adding 20-30 more lbs would keep him athletic? He has "bad" weight on his midsection that he needs to shed.

Dude, if he gains 60lbs of muscle and loses 30 lbs of bad weight, I wouldn't be surprised if he could shave 1 sec off his 40 and improve his triple jump by 15ft. The math is there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Dude, if he gains 60lbs of muscle and loses 30 lbs of bad weight, I wouldn't be surprised if he could shave 1 sec off his 40 and improve his triple jump by 15ft. The math is there.

I hear he can chop a tree down in a single swing and has an ox named Babe. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Any chance we can save some of the weight he shaves for currrent and future Westlake d-linemen?

Then by all means, show your math. 

I'm not sure I can think of an athlete at the collegiate level, at least at UT that has gained SIXTY pounds of muscle. MAYBE Brian Orakpo, and as well all know that motherfucker's transformation was startling and I can't remember seeing a second case like it, ever. I'm sure it's happened, but lets not pretend that Brian Orakpo type transformations are typical or common. Fuck, I don't even think they qualify as RARE. 

But by all means, show your work, sir. 

The only thing that matters for him is short area quickness.  He needs to be able to pull and reach at a D1 level which has not been demonstrated that I’ve seen.  Supposedly his A&M camp performance showed improvement with quickness. 

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Guessing same as last night - Baxter & Walton

After his Aggie OV and quotes that they "gave him something to think about," I would be pretty thrilled if Baxter committed to us and shut things down. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure I can think of an athlete at the collegiate level, at least at UT that has gained SIXTY pounds of muscle. MAYBE Brian Orakpo, and as well all know that motherfucker's transformation was startling and I can't remember seeing a second case like it, ever. I'm sure it's happened, but lets not pretend that Brian Orakpo type transformations are typical or common. Fuck, I don't even think they qualify as RARE. 

Sober up and re-read it, Sydney.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

After his Aggie OV and quotes that they "gave him something to think about," I would be pretty thrilled if Baxter committed to us and shut things down. 

I believe it was a UOV, and I have not gotten any confirmation if he received any flat tires heading out of town. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Son of a bitch!  I anxiously await the site coming back up to see what 5 star committment caused the crash only to find out @immamac apparently dribbled mcrib sauce into the server.

Shit, i thought @immamac gave me a timeout for saying THE THREAD NAME SUCKS!!! Good to know he's not a fascist overlord.

• Haha 1

Really hope Baxter drops today, but IT has been hedging on him a bit (compared to the other guys) so I don’t think they are counting him as one of the two they are watching for today

One person who interacted with Baxter over the weekend put it at 50/50, though he was getting more of the A&M side of the story.

Sources still feel good about UT’s chances, but his visit to College Station is certainly a wild card and it’s tough to rule out any outcome. In a week of huge recruiting storylines, this is the biggest.

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The only thing that matters for him is short area quickness.  He needs to be able to pull and reach at a D1 level which has not been demonstrated that I’ve seen.  Supposedly his A&M camp performance showed improvement with quickness. 

Funny, reading the Aggie Screenshot thread, that isn't their consensus of what Stroh showed at their camp at all. I believe, per them, he showed that he sucks. 

5 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Sober up and re-read it, Sydney.

Sunday was Sober-Up day, so I guess today is just illiterate day?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Math helps this one.  When you 345, 30 pounds of bad eight is just 8.7% of total body weight. 60 pounds of muscle is 17%. Big numbers, but not insane. What is crazy about these numbers the original poster thinks that someone 345 pounds needs to gain 10% more body mass. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Math helps this one.  When you 345, 30 pounds of bad eight is just 8.7% of total body weight. 60 pounds of muscle is 17%. Big numbers, but not insane. 

Are y'all really going to drive me to drinking on a Monday morning?

• Haha 2