Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Are you claiming that very popular picture on the internet isn't a picture of JJ Watt well after he was a professional football player for many years? You know, pretty sure those weights in the background say "Texans" on them. And if you ARE claiming that, are you also claiming that transformations like that are commonplace?

Northwestern v Wisconsin

Arizona State v Wisconsin

Totes the same. 

Dynamic Tension: The Charles Atlas Story – The Reprobate

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, OnAComputer said:

To be fair to Patrick Hudson, he was actually very good, but had an unfortunate early end to his career.

This certainly doesn't negate my assertion that quantity of meat is superior to quality of meat, so long as it's not like Tristan Nickelson quality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ATXbronco said:

The three highest "rated" OL guys from TX are still uncommitted.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=O-LINE

Harris Sewell
Permian (Odessa, TX) 

Markis Deal
Naaman Forest (Garland, TX)

TJ Shanahan
Westlake (Austin, TX)

Sewell passed on Austin, though IT says we’ll continue to recruit. 

Deal is being recruited as a DL, his preferred position. 

Shanahan and Flood have no interest in each other. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Sewell passed on Austin, though IT says we’ll continue to recruit. 

Deal is being recruited as a DL, his preferred position. 

Shanahan and Flood have no interest in each other. 

I know Heard seemed to be fading, but maybe him? I know he isn’t from TX

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think it's Kirland. I also think he was the guy that sent the Texas coaches a DM with him wearing a Cowboy hat.

I think Gerry said it was a top 50 player that sent the picture, or was that about something else

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

More I see this top speed, the less value I think it has. No way Ford is much faster than Overshown. Not talking about he ability to play the position, just a race between the 2. 

It's not an indicator of speed (acceleration) at all.  It's closer to an indicator of conditioning.  People with higher values have larger fuel tanks.

33 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

The three highest "rated" OL guys from TX are still uncommitted.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&PositionGroup=O-LINE

Harris Sewell
Permian (Odessa, TX) 

Markis Deal
Naaman Forest (Garland, TX)

TJ Shanahan
Westlake (Austin, TX)

Again, Shanahan's composite is boosted by Rivals having him the #1 player in the state.  I bet Chatman finishes higher than him and like someone else said, Deal wants to play DL.

Sewell looks Clemson bound.

It's not an indicator of speed (acceleration) at all.  It's closer to an indicator of conditioning.  People with higher values have larger fuel tanks.

Any idea how they’re measuring this? Combine-style 40? Max speed at any interval or at finish?

I’d interpret your comment as it being measured at the finish line but damned if I know.

I know we’ve seen something similar in prior years. Pretty sure it was posted on the site. Can any of you wizards find it?

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Any idea how they’re measuring this? Combine-style 40? Max speed at any interval or at finish?

I’d interpret your comment as it being measured at the finish line but damned if I know.

I know we’ve seen something similar in prior years. Pretty sure it was posted on the site. Can any of you wizards find it?

They all wear those devices that measure speed, heartrate, breathing, distance.  This is the max speed they ran over whatever time frame.

Here's one:

https://shop.statsports.com/products/apex-athlete-series?currency=USD&variant=19621289492537&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwquWVBhBrEiwAt1Kmws2c9psPW88yvFmBSnADfFHCTmQyOmOxIURHVtBthgbnm6aHDy3r8hoC6CIQAvD_BwE

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Every pick for him on 247, On3, and Rivals is for Clemson.

Being an elite OL recruit and choosing Clemson is such an odd thing to me. They have never put guys into the pros, even during their last decade of dominance. I think they had a 2nd rounder a year ago and another one like 30 years ago, but they've never produced a 1st round pick. 

They had a dude that, I think, everybody wanted last year named Blake Miller from Ohio at OT, that they signed. Sewell certainly won't be the first, but it's just a weird choice in some ways. 

That considered, a lot of people fawn over the experience of a Clemson visit, so I can also understand it if the small town thing is what someone is looking for versus alternatives of the same vein, such as the shithole 90 minutes east of Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Being an elite OL recruit and choosing Clemson is such an odd thing to me. They have never put guys into the pros, even during their last decade of dominance. I think they had a 2nd rounder a year ago and another one like 30 years ago, but they've never produced a 1st round pick. 

They had a dude that, I think, everybody wanted last year named Blake Miller from Ohio at OT, that they signed. Sewell certainly won't be the first, but it's just a weird choice in some ways. 

That considered, a lot of people fawn over the experience of a Clemson visit, so I can also understand it if the small town thing is what someone is looking for versus alternatives of the same vein, such as the shithole 90 minutes east of Austin.

Jackson Carman 

@Ricky's one-hitter I think you asked about who I was referencing regarding DBs. 

They look really good with Matthews and Williams. Muhammed and Toviano can both legitimately be signed. There's a lot of optimism around the first 3 and some optimism around Toviano. My thinking assumes 3 out of 4 of those guys. Then they go back and pick up Fontenette, Shaw or Turner, whoever their top guy is from that group. 

Separately, I don't think they get Harrison-Pilot and just lock him up forever at WR. He wasn't a part of my DB thinking, but if they whiff on the first 4 guys above or lose Johnson, there's also the shot that don't pick a guy off that they've stayed in contact with and instead just work MHP into the DB room by year 2.

• Hook 'Em 4

48 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I think it is just top end speed, but when they hit it is not known. There must be some value to it. I just wondering what it is, because the guys at the top of positions are clearly not the fastest players.