Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

5 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Classic 7:30 brunch

29F05681-4714-421C-B990-72250265BAE2.png

Don’t know if I’m looking into it too much but he put up a story in aggy uniform with a song playing “Opposite” and he just started following Chris Gilbert, Marion, and some other Texas people

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Probably top 3 or something

1 minute ago, bEastTexas said:

Usually Hayes specifies if it’s a commitment announcement, more then likely a top 3 of Texas, A&M and Bama. Hopefully this is just the prelude to a weekend commitment, everyone know Brunch happens on Saturday/Sunday. 

Yeah, the wording makes it sound like this will be a top 2 or 3 list. But hey, Cook committed to us only 4 days after he announced his top 3.

(\__/) 
   ⠀  (•ㅅ•)      Sark After Dark
 _ノ ヽ ノ\  __     
 / `/ ⌒Y⌒ Y ヽ     
(  (三ヽ人  /   |     
| ノ⌒\  ̄ ̄ヽ  ノ    
ヽ___>、___/ 
   |( 王 ノ〈   (\__/) 
   /ミ`ー―彡\  (•ㅅ•)  Sark Before Brunch

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

If so, would be funny for it to be Texas and Bama, and listen for the sound of heads exploding all the way from BCS.

This right here might be better than a commitment. By including Bama they cant just say he was afraid of competition and act like he doesn't matter like they have already done with Cook. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

This right here might be better than a commitment. By including Bama they cant just say he was afraid of competition and act like he doesn't matter like they have already done with Cook. 

Don't underestimate aggy. They'd have dynastic potential in mental gymnastics if it were a competitive sport.

4 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Athletic on the 5 star TE

Hide contents

REDONDO BEACH, Calif. — Trent Dilfer and the rest of the Elite 11 staffers spent some time trying to find the right match Wednesday night. Who exactly does five-star 2023 tight end prospect Duce Robinson, who attends Pinnacle High School in Phoenix, remind them of? Robinson is the type of prospect that allows your imagination to run wild. He’s 6-foot-6 and 225 pounds, possesses the fluidity and running ability of a receiver but is packaged like a wing player in basketball, and he’s versatile enough to stand out in football, basketball and baseball.

A matchup problem like that comes along only so often. That’s why Robinson, whose father Dominic was a highly touted football recruit and was drafted by the Minnesota Twins, is only the fourth tight end who has earned five-star status in the 247Sports Composite rankings over the past 10 recruiting cycles.

“(Kyle) Pitts, maybe?” Dilfer, the Elite 11 head coach, wondered aloud. “Pitts might have been a little more you could see him becoming a tight end. I don’t know if Duce has to become a tight end. I think he can line up out on the perimeter in certain offenses and play the X position, dominate the boundary and be physical in the run game, be a great RPO guy, be a great red zone guy. I don’t know what his 40 time is, but Mike Evans, maybe? That type that is so long, so athletic, such strong hands.

“He’s unique.”

There’s a lot of talent at Redondo Beach High School this week as the country’s top quarterbacks gather and compete against each other at the Elite 11 Finals. There are four five-star quarterbacks in attendance, plus some talented skill players from the Southern California area and some solid defensive players who will join them on Wednesday for the seven-on-seven portion of the camp. And it’s not outlandish to believe Robinson’s talent and skill set is the most impressive of the bunch.

“Listen, you don’t see (those traits) very often,” Dilfer said. “You see 6-foot-2 that could roll, who’s going to play at Oklahoma and Alabama. We’ve seen all that through The Opening. You see this uniqueness to him. It’s not just his size, it’s his ability with his size and charisma.”

A year ago, Dilfer wasn’t on hand at The Opening. He wasn’t allowed to coach Elite 11 while his quarterback Luther Richesson, who played for Dilfer at Lipscomb Academy in Nashville, was participating. Dilfer sure got the texts, though. They all expressed the same thing: “You’ve got to see this Duce kid.

Arizona State offered Robinson as an eighth grader, before he ever even played tackle football, so he’s always been on the radar, but The Opening last year in Manhattan Beach, Calif., served as Robinson’s coming-out party on a national stage.

He dominated the seven-on-seven portion of the event with a combination of size and speed that left opposing defensive backs looking helpless most of the time as his team reached the championship game.

Robinson states his mission this week is to show he can compete with the best, but admittedly, he’s entering this year’s event with a somewhat different mindset.

“I think I’m just more comfortable with where I stand,” said Robinson, who is the No. 17 overall player in the country. “Last year, I felt I had to prove myself against everyone. It’s not that there’s none of that anymore. I definitely feel like I still have a lot to prove, a lot to show, but I think I’m just more comfortable with myself as a player, as a person now.”

It’s easy to get infatuated with Robinson’s measurables. With another year of development, he’s more physically mature than he was at this time last year. But what the Elite 11 staffers rave about is Robinson’s competitiveness.

“We’ve been doing the pro day workout for a long time,” said Brian Stumpf, Elite 11 president. “And there’s one guy who’s shown an equal love of football that Duce has shown coming to this workout now two years in a row and taken the number of reps. JuJu Smith-Schuster was out here, it had to be seven or eight years ago and JuJu ran every fourth route for three hours and just had a smile on his face the whole time. Obviously, it speaks to the love of the game and it helps guys plow through when things get tough and face adversity. They’re out here for a reason. He’s a special, special player. From the physical talent standpoint, he’s a unicorn, but when you factor in something like that tell me a better pass-catching target that you could build. That’s got to be the prototype.”

When you combine Robinson’s traits with the fact he’s eager enough to argue with and cut other players in line to get more reps this week, it’s not a surprise to see every major program in the country making him a priority. Robinson visited USC in the middle of June for the Trojans’ big recruiting weekend. Despite outside speculation that Robinson is leaning toward USC, he insists there’s still a long way to go.

“I’m definitely not anywhere near making a commitment yet,” Robinson said. “I just took a visit to USC a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoyed my visit there, but I’m going to take a couple more visits during the season and hopefully I’ll have a feel for where I want to go after those visits.”

On Tuesday, Robinson wore USC gloves as he caught passes from Trojans quarterback Caleb Williams and their five-star 2023 commit Malachi Nelson. On Wednesday, he wore Georgia gloves. Robinson has become close with Bulldogs tight end coach Todd Hartley and plans on visiting Georgia during the season.

“They probably have the best tight end room in the country right now,” Robinson said. “I’m definitely interested to see what Georgia’s like.”

Texas will also have a say in this chase. Robinson is close with Arch Manning, whose commitment has sparked a wave of pledges for the Longhorns over the past week. He’ll try to get to Oregon this summer and may visit Alabama at some point as well.

Robinson is a talented baseball player as well with designs on trying to play two sports at the college level, so that aspect of his decision-making process shouldn’t be overlooked. USC fired third-year baseball coach Jason Gill in early June after finishing in the Pac-12 basement and is still searching for a replacement.

“I’m in talks with all the baseball coaches at all the schools I’ve mentioned,” Robinson said. “I want to be able to play for a school who would not only let me play baseball but who encourages it and wants me to play. So that’s a pretty big (piece of it).”

Robinson isn’t sticking to a strict timeline when it comes to making a decision. He hopes to have a feel for where he’ll go once he takes all of his visits. As far as announcing a commitment, Robinson said, “it might be after the season, it might be during the season — whenever it feels right.”

Count on USC to put on a full-court press in the meantime. Williams was throwing to Robinson on Tuesday about a week after hosting Robinson on his own official visit to USC. And Williams opened the line of communication to Robinson before then.

“He was of course recruiting a little but it was more so becoming friends,” Robinson said, “getting to know each other personally, one on one, as opposed to him being the quarterback and me being the receiver.”

If Robinson does eventually pick USC, Williams would be his quarterback as a freshman, then Nelson would be lined up step into the role in Robinson’s second year. Robinson said he spent a lot of time talking to Nelson and 2023 five-star receiver commit Zachariah Branch on his visit. Nelson has spent a decent amount of time talking and throwing to Robinson this week as well.

“We’ve got to start practicing for USC,” Nelson joked on Tuesday.

USC has told Robinson he’d likely work with the tight ends and receivers coach at USC, and the standout expects he’d have to learn both positions. He has no problem playing a mix of both.

The reality is wherever he lines up at whichever program he chooses, he’s going to be a matchup problem for whoever is assigned to cover him.

“Football’s changing and you’ve got to stay up with it,” Dilfer said. “And I do think these hybrid positions where it’s the big back who can pound it between the gaps and also run swing routes on the sidelines to your Big X, small tight end, spread Y, whatever you want to call him, he’s going to be a weapon in college football. Because of his mismatch potential as well as his normal matchup potential.”

image.png.a9db4b876e711b2d4f2c4cd23556139f.png

Who gives a shit? I know it's another pastime in sports to find a comparison, but so what?

They should just quote the writer since they're too dull to come up with their own description.

image.png.d8454cfabe5ad4503f2f3cc2fcb05086.png

Who cares about that? I need a comparison!

IT recruiting notes (possibly worth noting that Hamilton took the time to directly point out that they are going silent on Muhammad) 

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns are sitting at the No. 3 ranked class in the On3 Consensus team rankings with a number of prospects nearing decisions. That includes both in state, and out of state top targets.

Inside Texas gives a rundown of all the latest intel headed into Friday.

Sydir Mitchell nearing decision
On3 Consensus 4-star defensive tackle Sydir Mitchell is expected to make a decision in the next few days. The 6-foot-4.5, 345-pounder that is yet to turn 17 is expected to decide between Georgia and Texas per a source close to the recruitment. Inside Texas isn’t ready to take Texas A&M out of the equation just yet. The Longhorns have been in communication with Mitchell and family at least once daily in the last week. The Texas staff had an hour long conversation with Mitchell and family Wednesday night. And spoke again today. The Bulldogs are working the angle of Mitchell and close friend Jamaal Jarrett playing together in Athens. And the families have discussed that possibility.

Texas and Javien Toviano
The Texas Longhorns have made up ground with the On3 Consensus 4-star defensive back since the commitment of Arch Manning. Toviano is a prospect that is going back and forth on a weekly, and sometimes daily basis. Texas A&M, Georgia, Michigan and maybe Alabama are in the thought process, along with Texas.

Braylan Shelby and Derion Gullette
The Texas staff continues to receive positive feedback from both Braylan Shelby and Derion Gullette. On3 Consensus Shelby is a Texas vs. USC decision with Texas A&M still hoping to receive a late July unofficial visit. IT doesn’t believe that fits Shelby’s timeline, as of today.

Gullette is considered more of a lean to Texas than Shelby. The Longhorns are considered the heavy favorite over Texas A&M, Ohio State and Alabama. Gullette and family have built a very strong relationship with the Texas defensive staff. The 6-foot-3, 228-pound versatile defender fully understands how coveted he is by Steve Sarkisian and staff.

Texas and David Hicks
The Texas staff is in communication with the On3 Consensus 5-star daily. The communication has always been consistent with the 6-foot-4, 270-pounder. That communication includes today. Texas A&M and Oklahoma are the main competition in a recruitment that could come down to Texas A&M vs. Texas, like Anthony Hill.

Texas July 29 weekend visitor list
The Longhorns will host a big BBQ and pool party visit weekend to close out July. The list of visitors is expected to grow in the next couple of weeks.

No. 13 S Caleb Downs, Hoschton (Ga.) Mill Creek – On3 Consensus five-star (maybe)

No. 88 DL/IOL Markis Deal, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest

No. 131 CB Jordan Matthews, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn

No. 179 OT Miles McVay, East St. Louis (Ill.) High (maybe)

No. 265 DL Jamarious Brown, Moss Point (Miss.) High

No. 279 DL Terrance Green, Cypress (Texas) Cy Woods

No. 430 DL TaDerius Collins, Shreveport (La.) Woodlawn

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

image.png.a9db4b876e711b2d4f2c4cd23556139f.png

Who gives a shit? I know it's another pastime in sports to find a comparison, but so what?

They should just quote the writer since they're too dull to come up with their own description.

image.png.d8454cfabe5ad4503f2f3cc2fcb05086.png

Who cares about that? I need a comparison!

He’s a mix of Tony Gonzales and George Kittle, but he blocks like Rob Gronkowski.

3 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Geez didn’t know Iowa went toe to toe with bama and lost out on the top tackle in the whole class?? A)that’sawesome.gif b)that’s awesome some more C)glad we don’t have to face him, looks like..well, a uh 5 star recruit. 

english GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

(possibly worth noting that Hamilton took the time to directly point out that they are going silent on Muhammad) 

He said that Eric and Justin were working on a piece on MM. Also, there's a potential 7p top schools update from him so the article would likely to accompany that announcement

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He said that Eric and Justin were working on a piece on MM. Also, there's a potential 7p top schools update from him so the article would likely to accompany that announcement

I may not be reading this correctly; they think he may drop a top 7 after previously dropping a top 6?  WTF?

41 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

IT recruiting notes (possibly worth noting that Hamilton took the time to directly point out that they are going silent on Muhammad) 

Reveal hidden contents

The Texas Longhorns are sitting at the No. 3 ranked class in the On3 Consensus team rankings with a number of prospects nearing decisions. That includes both in state, and out of state top targets.

Inside Texas gives a rundown of all the latest intel headed into Friday.

Sydir Mitchell nearing decision
On3 Consensus 4-star defensive tackle Sydir Mitchell is expected to make a decision in the next few days. The 6-foot-4.5, 345-pounder that is yet to turn 17 is expected to decide between Georgia and Texas per a source close to the recruitment. Inside Texas isn’t ready to take Texas A&M out of the equation just yet. The Longhorns have been in communication with Mitchell and family at least once daily in the last week. The Texas staff had an hour long conversation with Mitchell and family Wednesday night. And spoke again today. The Bulldogs are working the angle of Mitchell and close friend Jamaal Jarrett playing together in Athens. And the families have discussed that possibility.

Texas and Javien Toviano
The Texas Longhorns have made up ground with the On3 Consensus 4-star defensive back since the commitment of Arch Manning. Toviano is a prospect that is going back and forth on a weekly, and sometimes daily basis. Texas A&M, Georgia, Michigan and maybe Alabama are in the thought process, along with Texas.

Braylan Shelby and Derion Gullette
The Texas staff continues to receive positive feedback from both Braylan Shelby and Derion Gullette. On3 Consensus Shelby is a Texas vs. USC decision with Texas A&M still hoping to receive a late July unofficial visit. IT doesn’t believe that fits Shelby’s timeline, as of today.

Gullette is considered more of a lean to Texas than Shelby. The Longhorns are considered the heavy favorite over Texas A&M, Ohio State and Alabama. Gullette and family have built a very strong relationship with the Texas defensive staff. The 6-foot-3, 228-pound versatile defender fully understands how coveted he is by Steve Sarkisian and staff.

Texas and David Hicks
The Texas staff is in communication with the On3 Consensus 5-star daily. The communication has always been consistent with the 6-foot-4, 270-pounder. That communication includes today. Texas A&M and Oklahoma are the main competition in a recruitment that could come down to Texas A&M vs. Texas, like Anthony Hill.

Texas July 29 weekend visitor list
The Longhorns will host a big BBQ and pool party visit weekend to close out July. The list of visitors is expected to grow in the next couple of weeks.

No. 13 S Caleb Downs, Hoschton (Ga.) Mill Creek – On3 Consensus five-star (maybe)

No. 88 DL/IOL Markis Deal, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest

No. 131 CB Jordan Matthews, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn

No. 179 OT Miles McVay, East St. Louis (Ill.) High (maybe)

No. 265 DL Jamarious Brown, Moss Point (Miss.) High

No. 279 DL Terrance Green, Cypress (Texas) Cy Woods

No. 430 DL TaDerius Collins, Shreveport (La.) Woodlawn

image.gif.d3ddaecec74b4d1d2758f56af17b2708.gif

Nahlin said that Texas is leading for Muhammed, and if it's a Top 2, Texas will lead for Muhammed tomorrow.

Gerry chimed in if Muhammed pops, it will be good news for Texas.

They also think Arch will be at the pool party, especially if Downs shows up.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2