Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

58 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

These are pretty good evals IMO. Refreshing to see, for once.

Goosby is the most underrated player in the class. He has Sunday potential written all over him

Yeah I do like the evals. I had stiff ankles at one point and track and basketball fixed it. Would love to see those guys doing basketball drill work along the lines.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

I saw this earlier and wondered if we were after someone from New Jersey.  I guess we are.

Nice catch. I need to go back and give that dude some rep, but it’s late and I’m one of the lazier people I know. Hopefully he sees this and knows he’s earned more rep than he’s got, if that’s worth anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Our favorite Georgia recruiting honk nobody, with the amazing 9 Bones prediction on Mitchell.

https://www.dawgscentral.com/blogs/entry/39-dawgs-central-predictionevaluation-four-star-dt-sydir-mitchell-to-uga/

32 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Well crawfished, graham. 

29 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

At the very least, Mitchell has obviously called the Georgia coaches to give them the news. That side of this recruitment is all over it. The other thing we know is the Georgia coaching staff are some gossipy mother fuckers. This is the worst kept secret in all of recruiting right now. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yeah I do like the evals. I had stiff ankles at one point and track and basketball fixed it. Would love to see those guys doing basketball drill work along the lines.

Soccer, too.

I also think that if I would have done Yoga it would have helped my flexibility vs the typical stretching we did at practice.

Really like the (🤞) Mitchell pickup. With PK’s scheme as it is, we need that two-gapping, space eating, old school nose tackle type, and they are vanishingly hard to find these days. The fact that UGA wanted him to play in the Jordan Davis role in their defense tells you all you need to know about him. In this system a guy like him should make everybody around him better. This shouldn’t hurt with getting guys like Hill, Gullette, and Shelby. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Seems like its rare to find a high school DT with a hudl full of him playing two gap and tackling the RB at the line of scrimmage.  His hudl is 324 minutes of Sydir standing up a double-team, walking them back a step, watching for the RB/QB to pick a gap and then Sydir tossing aside OL to make the tackle.   I'm here for it.

Somewhere, Jake Majors is crying.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

How many times have WE been the program that “passed” based on similar evaluations, then watch the player kick our ass for 3 years then get drafted?

Sure, but don't overextend that. Most 3 stars OSU/TCU/Baylor take are correctly rated, they're just coached and deployed well by their staffs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Really like the (🤞) Mitchell pickup. With PK’s scheme as it is, we need that two-gapping, space eating, old school nose tackle type, and they are vanishingly hard to find these days. The fact that UGA wanted him to play in the Jordan Davis role in their defense tells you all you need to know about him. In this system a guy like him should make everybody around him better. This shouldn’t hurt with getting guys like Hill, Gullette, and Shelby. 

This is a great point and it’s also the reason why I really hope Vasek chooses the good guys. I know that some on this board have questioned his ceiling, strength, arm length, ect. However, when you consider the fact that programs with some defensive pedigree such as Clemson, Venables at OU, and Dan Lanning at Oregon are so high on him, I can’t help but to think that he will end up becoming be a fantastic player down the road. 

btw, Gerry said yesterday that our odds of landing him are at least 50% and that he’s expected to make a decision within the next few days.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Gerry:

Texas Longhorns: Ten most wanted

Gerry Hamilton•7 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Anthony Hill Jr. (Justin Wells/Inside Texas)

The Texas Longhorns enter Friday with the No. 3 ranked recruiting class in the On3 Consensus team rankings.

Steve Sarkisian and staff currently sit at 17 commitments with the possibility of more on the way in the next few days. The Longhorns are loading up on the offensive side of the ball with Arch Manning in the fold, as expected. Texas is now firmly zeroed in on filling needs on the defensive side of the ball, which includes defensive tackle, finishing up at linebacker, edge rush prospects and the defensive backfield.

Inside Texas takes a swing at the ten most wanted, with the understanding that there are at least 15 prospects that are currently realistic possibilities for the staff.

Cedric Baxter Jr.

The No. 1 ranked running back in the On300 Cedric Baxter Jr. will announce his decision August 10. The Longhorns continue to be the heavy favorite in the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine for the 6-foot-1, 217-pound versatile back. Tashard Choice has the best position coach relationship with the Sunshine State star.

Anthony Hill

On3 Consensus 5-star linebacker  Anthony Hill is down to Texas and Texas A&M with a decision expected prior to the start of the 2022 season. This is a true bloodbath recruitment, and one that has begun trending the way of the Longhorns.

Malik Muhammad

The No. 50 ranked prospect Malik Muhammad released a final three of Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama Thursday night. The Longhorns have been trending in the last two weeks with Texas A&M putting up a strong fight. Similar to Johntay Cook II, this is a huge recruitment for the Longhorns on the field and off. Muhammad is fully of engaging personality that resonates with prospects in 2023, and beyond. Texas winning big in DFW would be one of the many storylines to come out of the 2023 haul.

Sydir Mitchell

On3 Consensus 4-star Sydir Mitchell is expected to announce his decision in the next few days, and possibly Sunday. Entered an On3 RPM prediction for Mitchell to Texas at 70% last night, and don’t plan on changing that. Texas and Georgia had lengthy conversations with Mitchell and circle Thursday. Miami has not given up with Kevin Steele giving max effort. Texas A&M was the fourth in contention.

Derion Gullette

Derion Gullette continues to be a lean to Texas. Inside Texas has learned nothing different in that regard in the last week. Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Ohio State remain in the mix with close to home always thought to be the long term winner. Texas has been prioritizing Gullette and family for months.

Jaden Greathouse

The No. 126 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus Jaden Greathouse is coveted by the Texas staff. He’s a winner, a playmaker and the type pf player that greatly helps in elevating a program on a daily basis. He has a spot until December, as of today.

Javien Toviano

On3 Consensus No. 28 Javien Toviano is recruitment that is nearly impossible to get a consistent read on. Texas A&M, Georgia, Alabama, Michigan and Texas are in the hunt. The Arch Manning effect is a factor here. With that said, Toviano isn’t likely to make an emotional decision at the end of the day. The winner of this recruitment gets a very intelligent, mature student athlete.

David Hicks

On3 Consensus 5-star David Hicks will be a fascinating recruiting battle down the stretch. The No. 7 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus has been a heavy lean to Texas A&M and Oklahoma for months. The communication has been solid since the commitment of Arch Manning. Texas will receive an official visit prior to a January 3 announcement. Could Texas run out of room? Not out of the question.

Braylan Shelby

Braylan Shelby remains a battle with USC with Texas having been slightly trending since the June 24 official visit. The No. 186 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus really does love Los Angeles, and the thought of playing at USC and living on the West Coast for college. Texas has close to home, recruiting class momentum and months of prioritizing Shelby in their corner.

Jordan Matthews

Jordan Matthews is scheduled to be back on campus at Texas the last weekend of July. Texas and Alabama are considered the favorites to land the No. 131 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus. Both programs will likely receive fall officials, if the recruitment plays out that long. Tennessee and Michigan received June official visits. LSU remains on the list.

Five more coveted

This list could have easily been expanded to 15. Any combination of the 15 prospects would be gladly accepted by the Texas staff.

No. 71 EDGE Tausili Akana, Kahuku (Hawaii) Skyridge

No. 151 WR Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Temple (Texas) High

No. 183 EDGE Colton Vasek, Austin (Texas) Westlake

No. 265 DL Jamarious Brown, Moss Point (Miss.) High

No. 279 DL Terrance Green, Cypress (Texas) Cy Woods

Wild cards

No. 17 TE Duce Robinson, Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle – On3 Consensus five-star

No. 13 S Caleb Downs, Hoschton (Ga.) Mill Creek – On3 Consensus five-star

No. 62 WR Jaquaize Pettaway, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek

No. 76 WR Jalen Hale, Longview (Texas) High

No. 88 DL/IOL Markis Deal, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest

No. 108 DL Hunter Osborne, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville

No. 179 OT Miles McVay, East St. Louis (Ill.) High

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

This is a great point and it’s also the reason why I really hope Vasek chooses the good guys. I know that some on this board have questioned his ceiling, strength, arm length, ect. However, when you consider the fact that programs with some defensive pedigree such as Clemson, Venables at OU, and Dan Lanning at Oregon are so high on him, I can’t help but to think that he will end up becoming be a fantastic player down the road. 

btw, Gerry said yesterday that our odds of landing him are at least 50% and that he’s expected to make a decision within the next few days.

his twitter stuff has heavily leaned towards Oregon for a while, for what it's worth (before his OV to Texas)

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My best class scenario:

image.png.203a8b2660e04bbb49793405cb74fad3.png

image.thumb.png.4d8eeefd3752c5ce0d3276041cd63f9e.png

image.png.ff8cf75372f71209f9b4b88565fb5aac.png

Lol 36 so we’re trapdooring the 3 stars now? Might as well just take them off. Wait that Akana guy is rated that much higher than lefau? Why did all of the articles say lefau was the top rated recruit on the islands? Or is that just their annoying “top recruit on 247” and they’re some borderline 4 star?

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My best class scenario:

image.png.203a8b2660e04bbb49793405cb74fad3.png

image.thumb.png.4d8eeefd3752c5ce0d3276041cd63f9e.png

image.png.ff8cf75372f71209f9b4b88565fb5aac.png

Hicks seems like way too much of a stretch. also, Texas is not going to get 8 5*s, come on...I know you are going for "best case" but unless that "best case" is going to a CFP game, this is way over the top.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1