Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

34 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Can anyone recall when Louisiana talent was getting plucked from the state at this rate? Now seems like the perfect time to start a pipeline and I’m glad that we are a part of it.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool/&State=LA

Pretty solid chance LSU only lands Sampson and Heard. I think Kelly fixes it, but it won't be this cycle. 

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Can anyone recall when Louisiana talent was getting plucked from the state at this rate? Now seems like the perfect time to start a pipeline and I’m glad that we are a part of it.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool/&State=LA

Before Saban.

• Like 2

IT recruiting nuggets

Spoiler

The Inside Texas placed percentages at 60 on On3 Consensus 5-star Anthony Hill and Texas Friday. As of Saturday morning, IT has heard nothing to change that opinion. 

Texas continues to make headway with On3 Consensus 5-star David Hicks. The communication has remained consistent since June 23. Texas would like to get Hicks back on campus the last weekend in July, but as of right now it looks like Hicks will be at Oklahoma that weekend. Texas A&M, Texas and Oklahoma is where the decision is expected to come from at the end of the day. 

Texas continues to have quality communication with On3 Consensus 4-star defensive lineman Hunter Osborne. The Longhorns have momentum on their side vs. Tennessee, and possibly Clemson.

• Hook 'Em 3

The Huddle: Saturday Texas recruiting notes

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

The Huddle: Saturday Texas recruiting notes

Hudson Standish

— Yesterday Langham Creek 2023 wide receiver Jaquaize Pettaway announced on his Instagram that he would be announcing his commitment next week. As we’ve reported throughout the spring, this decision will come down to either the Texas Longhorns or the Oklahoma Sooner for the top 50 prospect in the country.

I talked with a source earlier in the day from the Houston area that felt like it was anybody’s guess where the dynamic wideout would end up even though most of the buzz is with OU at the moment. Pettaway has kept his recruiting process extremely close to the vest and has continued to do as much through the down stretch.

The source mentioned that Texas commit Arch Manning has been in recent contact with Pettaway recently and he wouldn’t be surprised if the recent hot streak on the recruiting trail gave Texas a much needed boost after OU hosted the better of the two official visits. Texas is pushing hard for Pettaway and a potential addition of the top 50 player would give the Horns one of the best receiving trios in the country with Cook, Niblett, and Pettaway.

— Klein Forest 2023 LB/EDGE Brad Spence and Katy 2023 S/LB Johnathan Hall both released top three lists over the past couple days that included Texas.

While both prospects hold Texas offers, with the Horns already holding commitments from top targets Liona Lefau and S’Maje Burrell, plus trending well with elite prospects Anthony Hill and Derion Gullette neither Spence or Hall are takes for Texas at the moment.

— Tomorrow Bergen Catholic (NJ) interior defensive lineman Sydir Mitchell will announce his college commitment on CBS Sports HQ at 6:30 EST. The 6-foot-5, 335 pounder would fill a big need for Texas in a “SEC sized” nose tackle that can attract double teams and free defenders at the second and third levels.

I still feel great about my Texas pick and after talking with sources think this could be a statement to other recruits in the 2023 class if Texas can win a head to head battle with Georgia and Texas A&M for a priority defensive lineman.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

It seems that I have read that Pettaway did not have a good official visit to Texas but I am not sure that I have heard the reasons for that. What was the problem?

Arch OV weekend, so maybe he didn't get AS much love as he wanted from everyone else. Muhammad seemed like he got enough love though. Pettaway is just a different dude, there may have been TOO much going on for him.

34 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

How the fuck does OU ever, and I mean EVER host the better of the two OV's?

28 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Sometimes it’s not the school.

26 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You're right. It's the fans. I took him for granted.

Sorry Bugs Bunny GIF - Sorry Bugs Bunny Cry - Discover & Share GIFs

I think it's pretty clear that @RGBIII fucked up the petition.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, Keef said:

Gerry has also intimated he's "immature", which I took to mean maybe Austin wasn't the best place for him.

Counterpoint, that may be exactly why Austin is the right place. If people see a 19 year old playing with WWE action figures on the sidewalk while dressed as a superhero in a cape, it causes no alarm bells.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, Keef said:

Gerry has also intimated he's "immature", which I took to mean maybe Austin wasn't the best place for him.

I haven’t seen that but maybe I missed it-Gerry has indicated his relationship with Gundy is the best amongst the principal recruiters and that he’s not especially verbal.  I’m not sure I’d consider that immature compared to someone tweeting daily updates on their recruiting experience and other “look at me” behavior.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Have there been any more updates on hill from 9.95ers? Im seeing a lot of people on twitter acting like he just committed silently.

Gerry at 2:45:

"Hearing more positive vibes on AH this afternoon."

In response to a question about decision timeline:

"I say before, or early in season."

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Ah, he doesn't like cool shit and hot wommenz. Gotcha 

He’s the kid that has to work quite a bit to help his family. Similar to Marion growing up. Doesn’t do social media, he’s good friends with Wilson. Ou had a big lead, we’re making it interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1