Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

He’s my only aggy “friend”. I honestly hate him but just wanted slap him around a bit before I never talk to him till he randomly texts me sometime this fall. Friends close, enemies closer 

anyways. Back to recruiting 

I wouldn’t cut him off. I have a feeling making friends isn’t your strong suit…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Am I the only one that sees a tackle prospect from watching Sydir Mitchell’s highlights? There is a decent amount of film  of him blocking and he looks pretty natural as a run blocker. 

Yeah, no, I think everyone here and the staff see a defensive tackle prospect…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Jeeesus fuck. I’m on vacation in Mexico. Check in to confirm we got a dude we thought we were gonna get. And then…… this?
giphy.gif

Relax. We’re about to get like 4 more beasts in the next few days. Enjoy your 4th

• Hook 'Em 1

Sunday Night Huddle: Latest Texas Longhorns recruiting intel

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

Hudson Standish

— A constant in recruiting across each cycle is the symbiotic relationship between defensive line and linebacker/defensive back recruiting. Immediately after landing Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic four-star defensive lineman Sydir Mitchell, sources told Horns247 that the Texas staff and recruits were aggressive pitching linebacker and defensive back targets on how Mitchell’s unselfish space eating play style would compliment their game.

I was also told that a few vocal commits were hammering it home with top targets that Mitchell was a head to head win over Georgia and Texas A&M.

— Another factor of Mitchell’s commitment that I found interesting was the Texas staff establishing themselves at one of the nation’s best prospect factories in Bergen Catholic, which Kyle Flood deserves a ton of credit for. Texas already has a commit from a National blue blood program in Mater Dei’s (CA) Spencer Shannon and are in great early spots for elite 2024 prospects at national powers St. John Bosco (Calif.) and IMG Academy (Fla.).

The staff also did a tremendous job in the 2022 cycle grabbing players from Texas prospect factories Allen, Aledo, Galena Park North Shore, and Duncanville which hadn’t been kind to the Longhorns in recent years. Now with in-state recruiting fully optimized, the Horns seem to be doing a great job picking their spots with nationally elite programs from coast to coast.

— Somehow, yesterday as I was watching the UFC card I glossed over a couple of comments in an article asking if Texas stopped recruiting Temple athlete Mikal Harrison-Pilot due to a report from another site.

I can say with certainty that Texas is still going after the dynamic playmaker from Central Texas and envisions him in a Deebo Samuel type of role on offense if he maintains that’s what side of the ball he wants to play.

I asked a source today who he thought the final two wide receivers would be in the Texas class and his answers were Mikal Harrison-Pilot and Jalen Hale with Pettaway ending up at OU and Greathouse committing to Notre Dame. The source’s gut feel on Hale was that the team that looks better in the fall out of A&M and Texas would win out with the Longview four-star wideout.

With the caveat that if Hale’s friend and former Longview quarterback Haynes King won the starting job, the source thinks Hale would be a heavy lean to Texas A&M.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hudson Standish

Reveal hidden contents

Hudson Standish

— A constant in recruiting across each cycle is the symbiotic relationship between defensive line and linebacker/defensive back recruiting. Immediately after landing Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic four-star defensive lineman Sydir Mitchell, sources told Horns247 that the Texas staff and recruits were aggressive pitching linebacker and defensive back targets on how Mitchell’s unselfish space eating play style would compliment their game.

I was also told that a few vocal commits were hammering it home with top targets that Mitchell was a head to head win over Georgia and Texas A&M.

— Another factor of Mitchell’s commitment that I found interesting was the Texas staff establishing themselves at one of the nation’s best prospect factories in Bergen Catholic, which Kyle Flood deserves a ton of credit for. Texas already has a commit from a National blue blood program in Mater Dei’s (CA) Spencer Shannon and are in great early spots for elite 2024 prospects at national powers St. John Bosco (Calif.) and IMG Academy (Fla.).

The staff also did a tremendous job in the 2022 cycle grabbing players from Texas prospect factories Allen, Aledo, Galena Park North Shore, and Duncanville which hadn’t been kind to the Longhorns in recent years. Now with in-state recruiting fully optimized, the Horns seem to be doing a great job picking their spots with nationally elite programs from coast to coast.

— Somehow, yesterday as I was watching the UFC card I glossed over a couple of comments in an article asking if Texas stopped recruiting Temple athlete Mikal Harrison-Pilot due to a report from another site.

I can say with certainty that Texas is still going after the dynamic playmaker from Central Texas and envisions him in a Deebo Samuel type of role on offense if he maintains that’s what side of the ball he wants to play.

I asked a source today who he thought the final two wide receivers would be in the Texas class and his answers were Mikal Harrison-Pilot and Jalen Hale with Pettaway ending up at OU and Greathouse committing to Notre Dame. The source’s gut feel on Hale was that the team that looks better in the fall out of A&M and Texas would win out with the Longview four-star wideout.

With the caveat that if Hale’s friend and former Longview quarterback Haynes King won the starting job, the source thinks Hale would be a heavy lean to Texas A&M.

So we have to root against Haynes King to get Jalen Hale? Seems easy enough. Max Johnson and Connor Weigman have to be better than King. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You don’t have to respond to every post. We also don’t need recruiting guidance. Stick with weed, baseball homerism, and shutting the fuck up on this thread. 

There’s a difference between homerism and optimism. And it’s been warranted the last few years. Please come on over and post more. I enjoy your baseball insight

27 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Someone else mentioned Jimbo Didn't Call as another name, and I think that's perfect 

That was me. It’s fuckin perfect 

• Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

How?

Quick story. I was at the ou game this past year. He was at the bama aggy game. He was tailgating and would comment on my Instagram posts that had captions like “eat mother fucking shit Sooners!!!!!” And whatnot not. Then you know the result and he talked mad shit while tailgating. Then he was in the stands for the game. The second the game winning field goal went through, he commented on my Instagram Texas ou pics and texted me. He was fucking there 

If Texas beat a top 10 team the absolute last thing I would do is text him or any aggy 

You are a weird dude. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It won't matter, King won't last 3 games.  He's fragile.

fragile a christmas story GIF

Do you think King even starts the first game this season? I doubt it. Why else was Max Johnson brought in? Connor Weigman is waiting in the wings and is leaps and bounds better than King.

Standish

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns wrapped up the month of June on fire with 10 new commitments and yesterday headed into the 4th of July with one more firework in the way of a Sydir Mitchell head-to-head recruiting win over the Georgia Bulldogs.

Texas is undeniably one of the hottest schools on the recruiting trail and sits at No. 3 in the nation according to the 247Sports Composite team rankings. The Horns also lead the country in five-star commitments with three from Arch Manning, Derek Williams, and Johntay Cook.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we look at the 10 most important prospects remaining on the Texas board and evaluate where the Horns stand with each of them.

Anthony Hill
(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
Anthony Hill, LB, Denton Ryan

Last week in The Stampede, Mike reported that he was hearing five-star linebacker Anthony Hill would cut down his list in the near future to a final two of Texas and Texas A&M. Hill made that top two of the Longhorns and Aggies official this past week and cemented his recruitment as the biggest head to head battle remaining on the board for both schools.

Nearly every source I’ve spoken with feels that Texas jumped into the lead after their 10/10 official visit and if the current trend line holds Hill will wind up in Austin. However, Hill still hasn’t taken his Texas A&M official visit and is scheduled to make the trip to College Station during the last weekend of July. One source that has been on the money recently feels like this recruitment could extend into at least the middle of the football season.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington Martin

Toviano is one of the tougher reads in the cycle and has run hot and cold on a few different schools during his recruiting process. The Arlington Martin product is likely going to take his time with his process and it could be a case of which school has the most momentum at the time of his private commitment timeline.

Texas is pushing for the elite corner to get back on campus at the end of July.

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
David Hicks Jr., DL, Katy Paetow

Hicks is still the player on this list that I have the least confidence in Texas eventually signing in December or February. While Bo Davis has done a tremendous job building a relationship with Hicks and his family, the Horns have been far behind Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and a host of other contenders for too long for me to consider the state’s No. 1 player a realistic option.

However, the good news for Texas fans is that Hicks won’t make his college decision until the Under Armour All American game in January. So, the Horns will have a full football season to make up ground with the Paetow defensive lineman in addition to the Longhorns surging momentum on the recruiting trail.

Cedric Baxter, RB, Orlando (FL) Edgewater

Texas running backs coach Tashard Choice has put in serious work on this recruitment and we still love our Texas crystal ball predictions. The nation’s No. 26 overall player according to the 247Sports rankings announced his commitment date for August 10th along with a top four of Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, and Florida.

The people we’ve talked to on Baxter still feel that if any school were to knock off Texas in this recruitment it would be Texas A&M.

One tidbit I found interesting was that while Texas has been all in on Baxter for the past two months, Texas A&M is still in contact with El Campo RB Rueben Owens, and one source feels like the Aggies will eventually flip the former Texas pledge from Louisville.

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood

One of the most important remaining targets on the board at a massive position of need is 6-foot-5, 225 pound EDGE Braylan Shelby. The four-star athlete with a 45 foot triple jump is down to an unofficial final two of USC and Texas and could make a commitment later this month.

As I reported earlier in the week after a conversation with Shelby, the vibe I get is that Texas has a slight lead after crushing the final official visit but this will be an extremely tough decision to make. Both schools have been extremely aggressive in pitching early playing time to Shelby.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas South Oak Cliff

Earlier this week Muhammad cut his schools down to an official top three of Texas, Texas A&M, and Alabama after recently visiting all three.

Texas has been the school with the most buzz after crushing the official visit with Muhammad’s entire family in Austin, but Texas A&M is still scheduled to get the elite corner back on campus at the end of July. My sources still think a late July or early August timeline is the most likely scenario.

Derion Gullette (Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)
Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Marlin

Texas crushed the official visit at the end of June with the hyper-athletic small school standout. Mike and I still feel extremely confident about our crystal ball predictions for Gullette.

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (LA) Woodlawn

Matthews has been one of the nation’s biggest risers in the spring, picking up offers from Clemson, Alabama, and hometown LSU. Sources in Louisiana still feel that Texas is the most likely destination for Matthews and that the Top247 corner could even set a commitment date before he takes his Texas official visit in early September.

(Photo: Texas Football)
Hunter Osborne, DL, Hewitt-Trussville (AL)

The sources I’ve talked to on Osborne feel like this is an unofficial three team race between Clemson, Tennessee, and Texas. One recruit we spoke to felt like Clemson was the favorite with Osborne himself, but the parents were blown away by Texas on their official visit and would have comfort in close friend Justice Finkley being on campus.

As I reported after his official visit, August 26th has been a date circled as a possible commitment date.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin Westlake

The 2021 6A division two state title game MVP is down to an unofficial final two of Oregon and the hometown Longhorns. As I’ve reported previously, sources in Austin still feel like the Ducks lead at the moment.

However, uncertainty around Oregon’s place in the shifting college realignment landscape plus the Longhorns surging on the recruiting trail could be enough for Texas to land the ultra-productive Longhorn legacy.

Texas will aim to get Vasek to make the short trip to campus at the end of July.

HONORABLE MENTION

Jaquaize Pettaway (Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)
COMMENTS
A source in the Houston area remains adamant that Texas still has a shot for dynamic receiver Jaquaize Pettaway, but we’re hearing too much smoke for Oklahoma heading into the wideout’s commitment this upcoming week. Pettaway slides to honorable mention due to the likelihood of him ending up in Norman in the near future.

Longview 2023 WRJalen Hale has been a wildcard throughout his recruiting process and Texas seems to be peaking at the right time for the high four-star. As I mentioned last night, a source plugged into Hale’s recruitment felt like the better team in the fall out of Texas and Texas A&M would win out with the caveat that former Longview QB Haynes King starting for the Aggies would seal the deal.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Standish

Reveal hidden contents

The Texas Longhorns wrapped up the month of June on fire with 10 new commitments and yesterday headed into the 4th of July with one more firework in the way of a Sydir Mitchell head-to-head recruiting win over the Georgia Bulldogs.

Texas is undeniably one of the hottest schools on the recruiting trail and sits at No. 3 in the nation according to the 247Sports Composite team rankings. The Horns also lead the country in five-star commitments with three from Arch Manning, Derek Williams, and Johntay Cook.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we look at the 10 most important prospects remaining on the Texas board and evaluate where the Horns stand with each of them.

Anthony Hill
Anthony Hill, LB, Denton Ryan

Last week in The Stampede, Mike reported that he was hearing five-star linebacker Anthony Hill would cut down his list in the near future to a final two of Texas and Texas A&M. Hill made that top two of the Longhorns and Aggies official this past week and cemented his recruitment as the biggest head to head battle remaining on the board for both schools.

Nearly every source I’ve spoken with feels that Texas jumped into the lead after their 10/10 official visit and if the current trend line holds Hill will wind up in Austin. However, Hill still hasn’t taken his Texas A&M official visit and is scheduled to make the trip to College Station during the last weekend of July. One source that has been on the money recently feels like this recruitment could extend into at least the middle of the football season.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington Martin

Toviano is one of the tougher reads in the cycle and has run hot and cold on a few different schools during his recruiting process. The Arlington Martin product is likely going to take his time with his process and it could be a case of which school has the most momentum at the time of his private commitment timeline.

Texas is pushing for the elite corner to get back on campus at the end of July.

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
David Hicks Jr., DL, Katy Paetow

Hicks is still the player on this list that I have the least confidence in Texas eventually signing in December or February. While Bo Davis has done a tremendous job building a relationship with Hicks and his family, the Horns have been far behind Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and a host of other contenders for too long for me to consider the state’s No. 1 player a realistic option.

However, the good news for Texas fans is that Hicks won’t make his college decision until the Under Armour All American game in January. So, the Horns will have a full football season to make up ground with the Paetow defensive lineman in addition to the Longhorns surging momentum on the recruiting trail.

Cedric Baxter, RB, Orlando (FL) Edgewater

Texas running backs coach Tashard Choice has put in serious work on this recruitment and we still love our Texas crystal ball predictions. The nation’s No. 26 overall player according to the 247Sports rankings announced his commitment date for August 10th along with a top four of Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, and Florida.

The people we’ve talked to on Baxter still feel that if any school were to knock off Texas in this recruitment it would be Texas A&M.

One tidbit I found interesting was that while Texas has been all in on Baxter for the past two months, Texas A&M is still in contact with El Campo RB Rueben Owens, and one source feels like the Aggies will eventually flip the former Texas pledge from Louisville.

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood

One of the most important remaining targets on the board at a massive position of need is 6-foot-5, 225 pound EDGE Braylan Shelby. The four-star athlete with a 45 foot triple jump is down to an unofficial final two of USC and Texas and could make a commitment later this month.

As I reported earlier in the week after a conversation with Shelby, the vibe I get is that Texas has a slight lead after crushing the final official visit but this will be an extremely tough decision to make. Both schools have been extremely aggressive in pitching early playing time to Shelby.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas South Oak Cliff

Earlier this week Muhammad cut his schools down to an official top three of Texas, Texas A&M, and Alabama after recently visiting all three.

Texas has been the school with the most buzz after crushing the official visit with Muhammad’s entire family in Austin, but Texas A&M is still scheduled to get the elite corner back on campus at the end of July. My sources still think a late July or early August timeline is the most likely scenario.

Derion Gullette (Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)
Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Marlin

Texas crushed the official visit at the end of June with the hyper-athletic small school standout. Mike and I still feel extremely confident about our crystal ball predictions for Gullette.

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (LA) Woodlawn

Matthews has been one of the nation’s biggest risers in the spring, picking up offers from Clemson, Alabama, and hometown LSU. Sources in Louisiana still feel that Texas is the most likely destination for Matthews and that the Top247 corner could even set a commitment date before he takes his Texas official visit in early September.

(Photo: Texas Football)
Hunter Osborne, DL, Hewitt-Trussville (AL)

The sources I’ve talked to on Osborne feel like this is an unofficial three team race between Clemson, Tennessee, and Texas. One recruit we spoke to felt like Clemson was the favorite with Osborne himself, but the parents were blown away by Texas on their official visit and would have comfort in close friend Justice Finkley being on campus.

As I reported after his official visit, August 26th has been a date circled as a possible commitment date.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin Westlake

The 2021 6A division two state title game MVP is down to an unofficial final two of Oregon and the hometown Longhorns. As I’ve reported previously, sources in Austin still feel like the Ducks lead at the moment.

However, uncertainty around Oregon’s place in the shifting college realignment landscape plus the Longhorns surging on the recruiting trail could be enough for Texas to land the ultra-productive Longhorn legacy.

Texas will aim to get Vasek to make the short trip to campus at the end of July.

HONORABLE MENTION

Jaquaize Pettaway (Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)
COMMENTS
A source in the Houston area remains adamant that Texas still has a shot for dynamic receiver Jaquaize Pettaway, but we’re hearing too much smoke for Oklahoma heading into the wideout’s commitment this upcoming week. Pettaway slides to honorable mention due to the likelihood of him ending up in Norman in the near future.

Longview 2023 WRJalen Hale has been a wildcard throughout his recruiting process and Texas seems to be peaking at the right time for the high four-star. As I mentioned last night, a source plugged into Hale’s recruitment felt like the better team in the fall out of Texas and Texas A&M would win out with the caveat that former Longview QB Haynes King starting for the Aggies would seal the deal.

Say crushed again, motherfucker. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5