Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

40 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Everyone is wrong about something occasionally if you take enough stands. This is your time to be wrong. Not about the defense being shitty, that’s baked in. But wrong about 7-6. This team is going to outscore it’s problems. 9-3 or 10-2. 
Grab your balls and get onboard. 

Yeah if Ewers was our starter instead of Casey last year, we go 8-4 easy 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah if Ewers was our starter instead of Casey last year, we go 8-4 easy 

Offense finished 35th in FEI

25th pts per drive.

2nd in scoring offense in the Big 12. 

Casey  finished the regular season with more Ints per attempt than anyone in the Big 12 (anyone eligible), that led to 62nd QBR. 

Texas lost multiple games with bad QB play and costly turnovers. 

The Defense was bad, but they probably the main reason that Texas won TCU and KSU. Those were both games Sark was scared shit-less to throw the ball. 

So it doesnt take a lot of improvement to get to 8 wins. We shall see it it happens actually happens

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 4

50 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The interesting question on the tackles is whether we play the guys who give you a B most consistently or the guy who’ll give you an A one play then a C, which presumably has the greater upside.

It seems to me that in almost all cases the guy giving you the most As will also give you the fewest Cs.  It's about picking the best football players not balancing attributes in a rpg or something.

Edited by WBT

1 minute ago, WBT said:

It seems to me that in almost all cases the guy giving you the most As will also give you the fewest Cs.

A - Lineman picks the right pass rusher, stands him up, and gives the QB 5 seconds to throw

B - Lineman stands in front of the right guy, but gets bowled over quickly, and only gives the QB 2 seconds to throw

C - Lineman that picks the wrong pass rusher, double-teams rusher that somebody else is already blocking, and leaves a free rusher to sack the QB immediately.

The Freshman badass is presumably going to do a  lot of A, and occasionally some C. The upperclassman might do a lot of B. Which is more beneficial?

Also, after 6 or 7 games - you'd hope the Freshman will be doing less C and more A.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

A - Lineman picks the right pass rusher, stands him up, and gives the QB 5 seconds to throw

B - Lineman stands in front of the right guy, but gets bowled over quickly, and only gives the QB 2 seconds to throw

C - Lineman that picks the wrong pass rusher, double-teams rusher that somebody else is already blocking, and leaves a free rusher to sack the QB immediately.

The Freshman badass is presumably going to do a  lot of A, and occasionally some C. The upperclassman might do a lot of B. Which is more beneficial?

Also, after 6 or 7 games - you'd hope the Freshman will be doing less C and more A.

That is  is pretty good. I'll just add that the OL is all about consistency. If all 5 guys get Cs on a play, its likely a successful. You can get 4 As and 1 F and you can be in 2nd 15. I would love if Texas could get all 5 OL to have nothing, but C level blocking on every single play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burntcowboy said:

I think he was saying after the season and they will be on the same team

Yeah, I was really just saying he’s not the type to stick out an entire season if he’s unhappy during week 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Everyone is wrong about something occasionally if you take enough stands. This is your time to be wrong. Not about the defense being shitty, that’s baked in. But wrong about 7-6. This team is going to outscore it’s problems. 9-3 or 10-2. 
Grab your balls and get onboard. 

Oh, I am wrong a lot. Unfortunately, one of the things I’ve been consistently wrong about for quite awhile is predicting how Texas will perform on the W-L front before a season. I have wrong to the underside roughly 10 of the last 12 years. So I’m more worried about worse shit than 7-6. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

What?
OSU averaged 8.36 TFLS per game. #1 in the country, they had 7 vs Texas
OU averaged 7.46 #13, 6 vs Texas
Baylor averaged 7.43 #14, 4 vs Texas

So I checked 3 of the 6 and not one those games did Texas give up more TFLs that than their opponent averaged. I didnt check the rest, because I pretty sure the number is not 4. 

I was messing with you in my initial statement. I’ve been positive on the group from the get go.

You probably got your numbers from a different source but they are similar to what I saw.

Arkansas, ISU, KU, and KSU were the 4 (I referenced the full 12 game schedule) that had more TFLs against us than their average. Everyone else got below their average. Of those top 6 only ISU got more than their average against Texas, and it was only 0.5 more.

We’re not saying anything different. But I will jump off the thread cause Recruiting.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh, I am wrong a lot. Unfortunately, one of the things I’ve been consistently wrong about for quite awhile is predicting how Texas will perform on the W-L front before a season. I have wrong to the underside roughly 10 of the last 12 years. So I’m more worried about worse shit than 7-6. 

Well isn’t that a ray of sunshine! 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have been having lots of conversations that go this way lately. People ask me about all the recruiting momentum and cap it off with "so Texas should win a bunch more games this year right?" I just blankly stare back and say they will be lucky to win more than the minimum to get a bowl game. 

This recruiting haul the last 2 classes has not sucked though so there is that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I was messing with you in my initial statement. I’ve been positive on the group from the get go.

You probably got your numbers from a different source but they are similar to what I saw.

Arkansas, ISU, KU, and KSU were the 4 (I referenced the full 12 game schedule) that had more TFLs against us than their average. Everyone else got below their average. Of those top 6 only ISU got more than their average against Texas, and it was only 0.5 more.

We’re not saying anything different. But I will jump off the thread cause Recruiting.

KU wasn’t among the top TFLs. That is where we are off

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

That is  is pretty good. I'll just add that the OL is all about consistency. If all 5 guys get Cs on a play, its likely a successful. You can get 4 As and 1 F and you can be in 2nd 15. I would love if Texas could get all 5 OL to have nothing, but C level blocking on every single play. 

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF
In the example you quoted C level blocking let’s a defender have a free shot at the QB every pass play. You picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

According to my computer model, switching out foster, Brock, OL, Thompson, wr’s, TE’s, DL’s and CB’s should result in 19 more wins next year. I’m pretty confident in my numbers. 

Take that for data. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

According to my computer model, switching out foster, Brock, OL, Thompson, wr’s, TE’s, DL’s and CB’s should result in 19 more wins next year. I’m pretty confident in my numbers. 

I got tree fiddy x 2 for you, cowboy. I like your style. 

Edited by Junior Bonner

20 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF
In the example you quoted C level blocking let’s a defender have a free shot at the QB every pass play. You picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue. 

I think you forget what a C means. It is a passing grade. Allowing a free defender is a F, not a C.  If every OL gets a C on every single play, that means there isn’t a single missed block or missed assignment by the OL all year. Bijan and all the skill players will look damn good behind an unit that has a hat on hat every play.  Like I said most negative plays are the result of a singular OL missing a block or an assignment. OL is about unit consistency. That is why freshmen OL are scary. They are inconsistent and it only takes 1 to waste the work of the other 4 

• Hook 'Em 1

Two of last year’s losses get flipped if we simply do not let a retarded monkey design the defensive game plan. We win another game if we have a QB that does not sail a throw 20 yards out of bounds when we have a receiver running wide open into the end zone. We should have won 7-8 games last year. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Two of last year’s losses get flipped if we simply do not let a retarded monkey design the defensive game plan. We win another game if we have a QB that does not sail a throw 20 yards out of bounds when we have a receiver running wide open into the end zone. We should have won 7-8 games last year. 

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we’d all have a Merry fucking Christmas.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Be careful or the monkey will bite you too.

28 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think you forget what a C means. It is a passing grade. Allowing a free defender is a F, not a C.  If every OL gets a C on every single play, that means there isn’t a single missed block or missed assignment by the OL all year. Bijan and all the skill players will look damn good behind an unit that has a hat on hat every play.  Like I said most negative plays are the result of a singular OL missing a block or an assignment. OL is about unit consistency. That is why freshmen OL are scary. They are inconsistent and it only takes 1 to waste the work of the other 4 

Ohhhh you quoted a post about A/B/C blocking and the breakdown for each grade…then decided to come up with your own grading system but not explain it till now. Any chance you also work in hydraulics? On a serious note I do agree with you. Just an average OL with 2 freshman on it will make Bijan elite and our passing game just good enough to be scary. 

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

umm. i hate to tell you this, but that monkey is still around…

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I want two things in my starting OL.  (1) Know what to do 60 plays in a row and (2) have fortitude enough to actually do it 60 plays in a row.  Everything else falls into place.

Just wondering, does fortitude keep you from getting shoved 3 yards into the backfield for 60 plays in row?

38 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So many ways we could've won 8 games last year. Field a decent defense, have QBs that don't suck, have more than 1 WR that doesn't suck (after Whit got hurt), play two halves instead of one, have players that care about winning, etc..

I'm blindly optimistic that the defense will be better because how could it not be. WR is better. QB probably better but TBD. Culture? Reportedly better but who the heck knows, especially once things get tough.

So to me, this seasons hinges on QB, defense, and culture. If none of them improve, we're looking at 6 wins. If they all improve materially, we could easily be looking at 9 wins. Gotta feel there will be some improvement at QB although there will be growing pains. Imo the other two could be drastically better or no better at all, I have no idea.

Edited by Tex-19
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I want two things in my starting OL.  (1) Know what to do 60 plays in a row and (2) have fortitude enough to actually do it 60 plays in a row.  Everything else falls into place.

And #1 is probably the most important. It’s the mental errors that are killers. 

21 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Oh, we’ll if all you want is an OL that knows the game plan, doesn’t make any mental mistakes, and executes it well for 60 straight plays, then I guess that’s not asking too much. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So many ways we could've won 8 games last year. Field a decent defense, have QBs that don't suck, have more than 1 WR that doesn't suck (after Whit got hurt), play two halves instead of one, have players that care about winning, etc..

I'm blindly optimistic that the defense will be better because how could it not be. WR is better. QB probably better but TBD. Culture? Reportedly better but who the heck knows, especially once things get tough.

Easiest to way to win 8 is learn how to take care of the ball. Hard to be good when you have a negative turnover margin. Texas was 8th in turnovers gained with 14 (TCU/WV tied for last w/ 13). 7th in turnovers lost with 17. 

• Hook 'Em 4