Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 minute ago, pacman said:

Notre Dame at 4 committed from Texas, after Kelly basically ignored the state. Did Freeman make a hire to have connections here or is he just a good recruiter?

He's incredibly dynamic, young, and has a knack for connecting with recruits. He's gonna do well there assuming his OC and DC don't shit the bed. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Future 50 Afternoon Session Live Updates

5:42 p.m. ET: 5-star USC QB commit Malachi Nelson wins QB MVP.  Charles Power, Director of Scouting and Rankings

5:41 p.m. ET: 5-star Miami commit Francis Mauigoa wins OL MVP.  Charles Power, Director of Scouting and Rankings

I appreciate the minute by minute updates, but do we really need every line item attributed to a particular person with his full title, as if anyone would give a shit?

3 minutes ago, Vermin said:

I’m a noob—does it just mean DE that can also play OLB?

Basically a hybrid DE/OLB. 

Will rush like a DE a vast majority of the time, but will do it from a standing position at times rather than always being in a 3-point stance. 

…and such. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Vermin said:

I’m a noob—does it just mean DE that can also play OLB?

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Basically a hybrid DE/OLB. 

Will rush like a DE a vast majority of the time, but will do it from a standing position at times rather than always being in a 3-point stance. 

…and such. 

Napoleon’s not really correct. Edge generally just means an edge pass rusher, whether they’re a DE with their hand on the ground or a standup OLB. It became a popular term among draft and football nerds once 3-4 and nickel packages became prevalent so DE was no longer an accurate way to describe all pass rushers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Also, Notre Dame is one of the schools that benefits most from NIL.  They weren’t as dirty as the SEC schools in bidding war recruitments in the old system, but now they are one of the heaviest NIL hitters with an affluent alumni base and one of the biggest national brands in CFB.  

Texas, USC, Michigan and Notre Dame probably stood to gain most from NIL, assuming Stanford and Ivy League alumni will continue to not give a shit about college football.

It's all cyclical. I'm calling it now: Harvard wins the national championship in 2032. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

ESPN maybe since they already Hale as a high 4-star. But the other 3 national recruiting sites have Hale as a low or mid 4-star, so them giving him a 5th star would be a big jump.

I wouldn't really call any of his rankings low 4 star. I guess you could call his On3 ranking of 138 mid. I would personally call all his other rankings high 4* star.

57 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

ESPN maybe since they already Hale as a high 4-star. But the other 3 national recruiting sites have Hale as a low or mid 4-star, so them giving him a 5th star would be a big jump.

41 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

I wouldn't really call any of his rankings low 4 star. I guess you could call his On3 ranking of 138 mid. I would personally call all his other rankings high 4* star.

I think you're confusing star ratings & rankings. Regardless, the 1 thing that Rivals.com does right over the other 3 national recruiting sites is that they have simplified star ratings. Rivals has 1 rating for 5-star (6.1), 1 rating for high 4-star (6.0), 1 rating for mid 4-star (5.9), 1 rating for low 4-star (5.8), 1 rating for high 3-star (5.7), & so on. I wish the other 3 sites would simplify the star ratings the same way. 

11 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Napoleon’s not really correct. Edge generally just means an edge pass rusher, whether they’re a DE with their hand on the ground or a standup OLB. It became a popular term among draft and football nerds once 3-4 and nickel packages became prevalent so DE was no longer an accurate way to describe all pass rushers. 

I was fan of the old system. ILB, OLB, WDE, SDE, and DT. Now it’s Edge (apologies, EDGE), DL, and LB. Much harder to be lazy and know where everyone plays now by checking the positional designations 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I think you're confusing star ratings & rankings. Regardless, the 1 thing that Rivals.com does right over the other 3 national recruiting sites is that they have simplified star ratings. Rivals has 1 rating for 5-star (6.1), 1 rating for high 4-star (6.0), 1 rating for mid 4-star (5.9), 1 rating for low 4-star (5.8), 1 rating for high 3-star (5.7), & so on. I wish the other 3 sites would simplify the star ratings the same way. 

I am not confusing them. I thonk the rivals system is stupid. 5 stars are typically the top 30 to 36 players. Then 4 stars are all the way down to 350s or 400 this year. That's a pretty easy range to find low to mid to high 4 star.

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s one of the worst heat waves on record and Jimbo is still wearing a goddamn 1/4 zip pullover as a shirt. The man has 100 million dollars  and not enough sense or taste to put together a semi decent outfit or at least pay someone todo it for him.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

It’s one of the worst heat waves on record and Jimbo is still wearing a goddamn 1/4 zip pullover as a shirt. The man has 100 million dollars  and not enough sense or taste to put together a semi decent outfit or at least pay someone todo it for him.

Quarter zip with no polo underneath is downright criminal. 

• Hook 'Em 1