Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 minute ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

What makes you say that? Isn't Shelby a true edge and Akana more of an actual LB? Not disagreeing with you exactly just not sure why either would be related. 

Even if they were all EDGEs, we were pursuing Shelby and Vasek, toss Vasek out not Shelby.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Even if they were all EDGEs, we were pursuing Shelby and Vasek, toss Vasek out not Shelby.

Shelby seems a better OLB prospect than a true EDGE. Maybe I am just knee jerk overreacting. No.. It's the children who are wrong. 

Edited by Vertigo

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

BTW, crazier things have happened than Jayvon Thomas flipping and announcing along with Muhammad.

I don't think I could handle the aggy tears on that one, since they have already moved on to Thomas is better than Muhammed step in their recovery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If it is, I bet that means we are going to miss on Shelby. 

But, as an EDGE prospect, I think Akana is better. Shelby is the better OLB.

Gerry said this morning he likes Shelby more as a prospect, Akana is already 19, while Shelby is 17. Making the case that Akana is closer to maxing out his frame as is. He also said he would take both.

1 hour ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Tough call. The Ewok was near unstoppable at Allen, and he dominated 5A for 3-4 years. But Quinn is also a generational talent that’ll take NFL snaps.

Most impressive HS QB out of DFW I’ve seen in person is Matt Stafford… Truly a man amongst boys with an absolute cannon. I doubt many who’ve seen him in the NFL would describe Matt as “fast”, but in HS, he was outrunning DBs on the reg.

It really is splitting hairs. I wish I could have seen Stafford in HS,  that would have been fun to watch.  

I did see ewok twice in HS and several times on TV,  hell of a QB.  Only reason I gave the nod to Quin is ewok was surrounded by unbelievable talent that SLC didn't have and Quin still produced. 

I can't wait to see what he does this year.  

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry said this morning he likes Shelby more as a prospect, Akana is already 19, while Shelby is 17. Making the case that Akana is closer to maxing out his frame as is. He also said he would take both.

You can look at their photos and tell Shelby has much more room to grow.

People on IT jumping all over the new commitment Gerry mentioned likely being Payton Kirkland.

https://247sports.com/Player/Payton-Kirkland-46098852/

Announcing on the 23rd, so it fits all the "building more momentum this week" buzz, has no RPM by GH and his most recent twitter followers are Sark, Gilbert and Cook. Someone else was saying that Cooper Manning was also among his recent follows but I'm far too lazy to confirm that.

edit: Well GH literally just put in an RPM for him to Texas as I was typing this so yeah probably safe bet. Crazy to potentially land a guy that never even visited. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

247 has Payton Kirkland ranked as the #25 OT and Miles McVay as the #27 OT.

However the composite has McVay at #19 and Kirkland at #25.

https://247sports.com/player/miles-mcvay-46080187/

Gerry said McVay looked and moved more like a guard at the Future 50 Camp

Edited by Hookem2147

Just thinking about some things regarding the national ranks and some shit is flat out absurd.

The state of Alabama represents roughly 1.5% of the country's population. The consensus rankings have 10 Alabama players in the top 81. 12.35% of the top 81. 10% of the top 100. I realize more kids play football per capita in the south and that Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama have a higher amount of players per capita that come out and sign LOIs than anywhere. That all considered - get the fuck out of here with that shit. I see zero percent chance of those 10 guys all being properly rated.

For comparison, Texas represents about 8.7% of the US pop and has 18% of the top 100. CA is 11.8% of the US pop and 8% of the top 100. Minus IMG Academy guys, Florida is 6.4% of the US pop and 18% of the top 100.

I know there is a deserved skew to the South and Texas in rating football talent. It's just an amazing imbalance this year in Alabama relatively-speaking. Bama is slightly less than 10X skewed in football against their gen pop, where Florida is less than 3x and Texas is just above 2x for comparison.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bedenbaugh needs to send Flood a Father’s Day card next year

Gerry said McVay looked and moved more like a guard at the Future 50 Camp

It's been discussed far upthread, but I think the consensus opinion is that McVay may have more potential sticking in the NFL at guard and is simultaneously good enough to be a college tackle. 

Edited by UDontKnow

9 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

People on IT jumping all over the new commitment Gerry mentioned likely being Payton Kirkland.

Announcing on the 23rd, so it fits all the "building more momentum this week" buzz, has no RPM by GH and his most recent twitter followers are Sark, Gilbert and Cook. Someone else was saying that Cooper Manning was also among his recent follows but I'm far too lazy to confirm that.

edit: Well GH literally just put in an RPM for him to Texas as I was typing this so yeah probably safe bet. Crazy to potentially land a guy that never even visited. 

Holy shit he's massive - 6'6, 350 is the kind of size this OL has been missing under Herman.