Back To School GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

On Kirkland ... 

image.thumb.png.f600e7f9c8a6cbffce88dbd1116a501c.png

Longhorns making surprise run at four-star offensive tackle

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Longhorns making surprise run at four-star offensive tackle

Mike Roach

This cycle has been full of surprises for Texas fans.

In the last month, the Longhorns shot up the boards adding double-digit commitments from some of the best in the country. Is there another surprise in store? This morning, we got word there was some growing buzz with four-star Orlando (FL) Dr. Phillips offensive lineman Payton Kirkland. The massive prospect is set to make his decision this weekend, and the Longhorns are coming from out of nowhere to be a factor in the race.

Kirkland is a prospect Kyle Flood has been hard at work for traveling to the Sunshine State several times to see him during the spring. While Kirkland initially released a list of finalists that didn't include Texas, we are told as of this morning that the Longhorns are very much in the mix. We took a few hours to connect with several sources, and each of them indicated that Texas has gone from outside of the main group to a big contender.

Miami was one of the schools assumed to be in the lead for Kirkland, but he also has 247Sports Crystal Ball picks for Michigan State and Florida. We've reported in the past that with four offensive line commits already on board, Texas would be out to find premium prospects to finish off the class. At the moment, I think Texas is making enough noise to be considered a legitimate contender to land Kirkland on Saturday.

247Sports' National Recruiting Analyst Andrew Ivins is hearing similar buzz and reported it during an episode of Preps to Pros on the 247Sports YouTube page.

The 6-foot-6, 345 pound offensive lineman is ranked as the No. 25 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 57 overall prospect in Florida, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

His 247Sports scouting report from Ivins is below:

A big body with some functional athleticism. Owns a wider base. Believed to be just under 6-foot-6, 350 pounds coming out of junior season. Blessed with some length in the arms. Power-based player that is a solid drive blocker. Packs a strong punch and has won with his upper body plenty of times on Friday nights as he pushes would-be tacklers and pass rushers to the side. Has shown that he can get to the second level and find a linebacker when needed. Has worked through a different pass sets over the years and has an effective quickstep for someone his size. However, must keep improving as a pass blocker, especially if he’s going to be tasked with trying to fend off the twitched-up front seven players that call the SEC home these days. Likely will need a few years to rework the body and add strength in the core, but has the makeup of someone that can be molded into a multi-year starter at a Power 5 program with the right coaching. Will be viewed by some as a tackle at the next level, but could also find a home at one of the guard spots, which isn't a bad thing as position versatility is always valuable. Rare measurables could eventually have him on the radar of NFL scouts.

Edited by Getafix

1 hour ago, Street2Peschel said:

Please let it be Hill.  The Aggy fallout would be entertainment for the rest of the year.

Hicks would hurt them more. They now realize Hill is a dogfight, so they are somewhat prepared for disappointment. They think Hicks is in the bag.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, The Deuce said:

Fake info being given to see who’s leaking info that the staff doesn’t want out in the public realm? Definitely an easy way to catch them if you feed different people different names we are certainly not getting🤷🏼‍♂️

That's Tyrion Lannister scheming right there if true.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

BTW, crazier things have happened than Jayvon Thomas flipping and announcing along with Muhammad.

This is how you message board. Either it happens and it's awesome and hilarious. Or it doesn't, but Aggy still sees this and commence pants-shitting. It's really a win/win.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

If it is, I bet that means we are going to miss on Shelby. 

But, as an EDGE prospect, I think Akana is better. Shelby is the better OLB.

LMAO!! Shelby is already 6-5 235LB as a 17 year old going into his senior year of High School. He's definitely an Edge, not a off-the-ball LB.

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Happened when the Baylor guys started saying they were a lock for Hookfin. At least that was the story that they went with

If I remember that recruitment right, Hookfin was all Texas until Hand fumbled at the very end (shocking), Baylor was about to sneak in and steal him and we had to send Carrington out to negative recrui and tell him about Baylor’s history.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, TheMailBox357 said:

Interesting.... so IT, Horns247, & OB are all saying Kirkland is trending to Texas, BUT Kirkland is being very vocal on social media that it's fake news emphasising that he have never ever visted Texas.

That's a non-denial denial. 

Regardless I think someone leaked something in order to sabotage the recruitment. 

1 minute ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Interesting.... so IT, Horns247, & OB are all saying Kirkland is trending to Texas, BUT Kirkland is being very vocal on social media that it's fake news emphasising that he have never ever visted Texas.

That seems to about sum it up. 

popcorn gif

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There's a reason no one is asking you shit, captain 5 whole posts and 2 whole weeks on the board. Some of us have been following this shit for decades and have a pretty good idea of how Gerry operates. He isn't Taylor Hamm or EJ Holland. 

Just because I've only had a few posts on this message board doesn't mean I haven't been following Texas recruiting for 'decades'. 

You can suck my dick if you want to be disrespectful just because you disagree with me. 

Edited by _Leaf_
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 30