Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

People continue to root for MLB and NFL teams based on like 3 or 4 mainstay players and the rest shuffling in and out or being known expendables.  College basketball is already a yearly rent-a-team scenario for many top schools and has been for a while.

College basketball is at its absolute nadir in popularity and it's due to loss of talent and roster churn.  Maybe you can create a class of completely mercenary players that move on every year to a better opportunity and not lose a beat in college football, but I suspect that won't happen.  
None of this is to say that college football is going to die or anything, but I don't think this trend is good for the game.  Maybe I'm wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

People continue to root for MLB and NFL teams based on like 3 or 4 mainstay players and the rest shuffling in and out or being known expendables.  College basketball is already a yearly rent-a-team scenario for many top schools and has been for a while.

I used to watch a ton of college basketball. Now, I don’t give a damn and watch very little. This is one of the main reasons.

It’ll impact a certain number of viewers/fans. Maybe you can pull a few casual observers to offset the loss of some rabid fans.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

b832b3a5-cf3c-4fee-a920-329df428fc5c_tex

7bc2b33e-4254-4208-9a5d-b3399ca43ecd_tex

All of it is wrong eh?

If you have any bitch with this:

The only reason 18-21 YO's have value for playing football is b/c of their connections to colleges

You are an idiot.  Nobody makes lots of money playing in minor league sports.  Nobody. Football players would not be a bit different if they are playing for the Austin Toros instead of the Texas longhorns.  

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, Junior Bonner said:

My first day on the board everyone was apparently mad at new posters and i posted something weak and tried defending it. Next thing I know I’m at -15 or -20. So I shut the fuck up and just lurk for a few weeks. Then, when I start posting , I make sure it’s either innocuous or funny. And I stay far away from pissing contests. Took me a few weeks to dig out and then a few months before I got up the nerve to give someone the finger. 

And I’m still pretty careful. Mostly. 

True story. 

I'm not sure if it was for humor or because they are genuine assholes but two people negged this post and I fucking died. 

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I used to watch a ton of college basketball. Now, I don’t give a damn and watch very little. This is one of the main reasons.

It’ll impact a certain number of viewers/fans. Maybe you can pull a few casual observers to offset the loss of some rabid fans.

Username!! 

• Haha 2

Just now, WinningIsHard said:

I'm not sure if it was for humor or because they are genuine assholes but two people negged this post and I fucking died. 

I negged it immediately and then removed it after 5 minutes. I thought it would be funny to neg it but then I thought he might get upset.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

College basketball is at its absolute nadir in popularity and it's due to loss of talent and roster churn.  Maybe you can create a class of completely mercenary players that move on every year to a better opportunity and not lose a beat in college football, but I suspect that won't happen.  
None of this is to say that college football is going to die or anything, but I don't think this trend is good for the game.  Maybe I'm wrong.  

There will be a handful of mercenaries on every roster but the majority of players will stay put each offseason. There will definitely be growing pains before everyone settles into the new system, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I agree with this in principle. I just think it will take awhile for it to affect College football. College basketball might be the only sport where you could argue the level of play peaked 20-30  years ago. That is  huge portion of their issues also. College basketball is lacking talent. College Football will never have that issue, just an issue on how it is dispersed 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I laughed out loud too. Thought it was hilarious. 

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I negged it immediately and then removed it after 5 minutes. I thought it would be funny to neg it but then I thought he might get upset.

Nah. I laughed. But thanks for removing it. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

College basketball is at its absolute nadir in popularity and it's due to loss of talent and roster churn.   

What is this opinion based on? Ratings took a dip during the pandemic (like everything else not named the NFL did) but rebounded right back to pre-pandemic levels this past year. The best college basketball players were gone after a year anyways, this rule will affect them the least.

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

All of it is wrong eh?

The only reason 18-21 YO's have value for playing football is b/c of their connections to colleges

You are an idiot.  Nobody makes lots of money playing in minor league sports.  Nobody. Football players would not be a bit different if they are playing for the Austin Toros instead of the Texas longhorns.  

G-League Ignite and Overtime Elite players are getting paid a lot for minor league basketball. The absolute best will always get paid.

29 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

All of it is wrong eh?

1d1e62e5-633e-4203-b48f-350d3a4584d5_tex

22 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I agree with this in principle. I just think it will take awhile for it to affect College football. College basketball might be the only sport where you could argue the level of play peaked 20-30  years ago. That is  huge portion of their issues also. College basketball is lacking talent. College Football will never have that issue, just an issue on how it is dispersed 

Yep, I mentioned talent first because that's the biggest issue and roster churn second b/c that matters but not as much as the first IMO.  

I'm not sounding any alarm bells right now on the transfer rule- I agree- the guys this year and next and the year following can take full advantage and it won't hurt them at all. I think if that kind of thing happens for 5-10 years it starts to really hurt the popularity of the sport.  The blue bloods will be fine in this and it on balance probably helps Texas, but it won't help places like Tech or TCU or Iowa State.  Maybe it just further leads to 30 schools caring and nobody else giving a shit, but if that's where you end up why root for college at all instead of just becoming an NFL fan?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

What is this opinion based on? Ratings took a dip during the pandemic (like everything else not named the NFL did) but rebounded right back to pre-pandemic levels this past year. The best college basketball players were gone after a year anyways, this rule will affect them the least.

G-League Ignite and Overtime Elite players are getting paid a lot for minor league basketball. The absolute best will always get paid.

Compare those rating to 30 years ago is what I'm talking about. If you think College Basketball is in as good a shape in 2022 as it was in 1992 you are certifiably insane or 13 years old.  Last years Final- Kansas v UNC which is about as blue blood and amazing a matchup as you can get got 18.5 million viewers.  In the 80's, when the country was 60% of it's current size, the NCAA routinely got 30+ million. 

There is like 8 guys on 1 team that get paid any money in the G-League.  There will be 58 guys at UT (slight hyperbole but just barely) make more than the "highly" paid G-League players.  The money for college vs minor league sports is not even in the same stratosphere.  I don't know if you are being intentionally obtuse on this or arguing to be a pedant, but it's really silly and you should stop.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Maybe:

After Freshman year, to transfer, must have completed 30 class hours with at least a 2.5 GPA

After Sophomore year, must have completed 60 hours with at least a 2.5 GPA

After Junior year, must have completed 90 hours with at least 2.5 GPA

Would this deter transfers if it was implemented?

After Jr. year, perhaps they just want to stay and finish degree?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Compare those rating to 30 years ago is what I'm talking about. If you think College Basketball is in as good a shape in 2022 as it was in 1992 you are certifiably insane or 13 years old.  

There is like 8 guys on 1 team that get paid any money in the G-League.  There will be 58 guys at UT (slight hyperbole but just barely) make more than the "highly" paid G-League players.  The money for college vs minor league sports is not even in the same stratosphere.  I don't know if you are being intentionally obtuse on this or arguing to be a pedant, but it's really silly and you should stop.  

Ratings are never going to be the same as 30 years ago, the way we consume media has changed way too much. 30 years ago there was no streaming and the games were all on network television. Everything is split up now, but the overall money is obviously way bigger than in 1992 (and yes that’s obviously adjusted for inflation and all of that).

I don’t like this proposed new transfer rule either, but people have been saying the same alarmist bullshit you’re saying for decades now. It never actually happens.

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Maybe:

After Freshman year, to transfer, must have completed 30 class hours with at least a 2.5 GPA

After Sophomore year, must have completed 60 hours with at least a 2.5 GPA

After Junior year, must have completed 90 hours with at least 2.5 GPA

Would this deter transfers if it was implemented?

After Jr. year, perhaps they just want to stay and finish degree?

This will result in coaches not wanting their players GPA to be too high and purposefully limiting their hours.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Ratings are never going to be the same as 30 years ago, the way we consume media has changed way too much. 30 years ago there was no streaming and the games were all on network television. Everything is split up now, but the overall money is obviously way bigger than in 1992 (and yes that’s obviously adjusted for inflation and all of that).

I don’t like this proposed new transfer rule either, but people have been saying the same alarmist bullshit you’re saying for decades now. It never actually happens.

Forget ratings if you want and just go by mindshare if you prefer.  I can promise you, because I lived through it, college basketball was pretty damn close in size and popularity to the NBA.  Big Monday was an event.  Yes, MJ and the Bulls would blow away anything else as far as interest goes, but Georgetown, Syracuse, UCLA, Ketucky, Michigan, Indiana, Duke, UNLV man that shit had popular attention throughout the year.  Now, nobody talks about college basketball in the mainstream until conference tournament time and it's an event as much as it is anyone knowing or caring about the teams and players involved.  
I love college hoops.  But it's not as good and not as popular and not as important as it used to be b/c people don't have time, history and a connection with the guys on the team like they did then (and the quality of play isn't as high).  

Literally every other sport I've followed in my life is so much better now than it was back then- with the one exception being college hoops.  I would hate to see something similar happen to college football. 

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

This will result in coaches not wanting their players GPA to be too high and purposefully limiting their hours.

The best course is probably to limit the schools in some manner not the players.  

Do something like make transfers count double against the 85 and 25 counters.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This year or next.  There is no guarantee that there won't be going forward once the extra covid years get all finished and through the line (should be after 2024). 

The 25 counter is more a portal issue. The covid numbers affect the 85 cap, not the initials.

I don't think it'll be gone, but it'll come back at 30 or more.

12 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The 25 counter is more a portal issue. The covid numbers affect the 85 cap, not the initials.

I don't think it'll be gone, but it'll come back at 30 or more.

Sure, but the portal issue is effected by all the extra eligibility in the system, and high schoolers scholies are down etc.  I think they will do a reset in a couple years on all of it- I wouldn't assume the rule is dead forever right now was all I was saying. 

2 hours ago, Bigjohns97 said:

image.thumb.png.1de39c01558e757ce3eee645ee55483f.png

Jackson St BBQ used to do chicken fried pork ribs before they shut down, they were as good as you would think.

I make these every year when our family gets together to make Deer, Pork, and Beef sausage in January. Tastes like a pork chop, and is delicious.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Same. I barely pay attention until the tournament rolls around, learn some of the players and teams and poof! they're gone to the NBA a few months later. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Forget ratings if you want and just go by mindshare if you prefer.  I can promise you, because I lived through it, college basketball was pretty damn close in size and popularity to the NBA.  Big Monday was an event.  Yes, MJ and the Bulls would blow away anything else as far as interest goes, but Georgetown, Syracuse, UCLA, Ketucky, Michigan, Indiana, Duke, UNLV man that shit had popular attention throughout the year.  Now, nobody talks about college basketball in the mainstream until conference tournament time and it's an event as much as it is anyone knowing or caring about the teams and players involved.  
I love college hoops.  But it's not as good and not as popular and not as important as it used to be b/c people don't have time, history and a connection with the guys on the team like they did then (and the quality of play isn't as high).  

Literally every other sport I've followed in my life is so much better now than it was back then- with the one exception being college hoops.  I would hate to see something similar happen to college football. 

MLB is not a very good product right now either

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Peyton Kirkland: "I'm gonna make sure every college football fan talks about me all week. This is going to be awesome, being the center of the universe."

Meanwhile, on surlyhorns....

Must not be working because Peyton Kirkland isn't a high level HS football player.

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

This puts the responsibility and incentive on the student/athlete to complete their hours.  Coaches should not/could not have a say in the hours.  Tutors provided.