Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Regarding Derion Gullette.  $9.95s intimating that he would commit today but family is pushing for visits.  Furthermore, the idea that Gullette transferring from Marlin to Teague might work against us.  Is Teague an aggie stronghold and should we be concerned leading up to next weekend?

Edited by cafe society

36 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Did someone say undersized OL named Jake that didn't pan out?

I remember when “maulerson” became the first commit of his class and they released the video of Mack telling him, presumably tongue-in-cheek, that if something happened to him (Mack), his spot would still be saved. Seemed ominous.

Getting back on topic, I don’t really give a shit what they look like, I just prefer having an ol coach that knows what the fuck he’s looking for, can identify guys that fit, and then can close the fucking deal. Scraping the bottom of the barrel last minute to fill the class and selling it as guys with tremendous growth potential is for the birds.

I’m also just thankful we don’t have to listen Herman bloviate about how he had no idea who herb hand was but auburn ran inside zone exquisitely on film.

Posted this to the aggy screenshot thread, but thought I would cross-post it here too, while we wait for Kirkland to shock the world (and given the discussion of NIL ... ). 

What the cop supposedly said, cracked me up.

(Someone should tweet a side-by-side mock up of Bijan in his Lambo, and a bunch of cops saying this to Ainias after pulling him over ... two different NIL programs at work.)

image.thumb.png.a14322eca1142a5059b02071ff92d201.png

• Haha 5
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Shhhh said:

My understating with Kirkland is that his top 5 all like him as a prospect but they have tired of the games he has played during his recruitment. I understand that while the top 5 would of taken his commitment at one time they have tired of his games and are no longer actively pursuing his commitment. I expect the pick to be Texas tonight in some sort of over dramatized selection process, but will be surprised if there are not a few more turns in this recruitment. 

Username and all that

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Nobody wanted 6’3” tackles. Cosmi weighed 250. 2 best OL for Texas recently were under-weight. It is not a terrible strategy to take movement over size. Those kids are probably more high risk/high reward. Herman’s biggest issue wasn’t the type of Offensive linemen he recruited, it was the lack of numbers. Luckily that will not be a problem for Sark and Flood. You take 12-13 in 2 years, you should be able to find at least 5 solid OL out of that group

Exceptions aren’t the rules. 

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Exceptions aren’t the rules. 

Never said they were. You could actually say the last 3, if you believe Cochran would have continued his path. There are plenty of examples of LTs that grew into the position in NFL, hence high risk/high reward.  The argument that you should only grab the largest mammals possible has just as many issues as grabbing the lighter more athletic OL.   Like I said the path of growing OL has it risks and that was compounded by low numbers. Having to throw kids into the starting line up that needed a redshirt year was probably the single biggest factor in the OL failures under Herman. Goosby is a kid that Herman would have recruited. I think he has the highest upside in this OL class. The difference is I doubt he will be thrust into starting as freshmen and the numbers should give him a reasonable timeline to develop. Probably more importantly, you can take risks on high upside/low floor kids when you are bringing in 12-13 OL over 2 years. You just have to hit on ~40%. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Never said they were. You could actually say the last 3, if you believe Cochran would have continued his path. There are plenty of examples of LTs that grew into the position in NFL, hence high risk/high reward.  The argument that you should only grab the largest mammals possible has just as many issues as grabbing the lighter more athletic OL.   Like I said the path of growing OL has it risks and that was compounded by low numbers. Having to throw kids into the starting line up that needed a redshirt year was probably the single biggest factor in the OL failures under Herman. Goosby is a kid that Herman would have recruited. I think he has the highest upside in this OL class. The difference is I doubt he will be thrust into starting as freshmen and the numbers should give him a reasonable timeline to develop. Probably more importantly, you can take risks on high upside/low floor kids when you are bringing in 12-13 OL over 2 years. You just have to hit on ~40%. 

7'0 500 lbs with 4 sec 40 or gtfo

• Haha 1

Bobby just confirmed mom is moving to Houston in early 2023. Kirkland will finish the season for Dr. Phillips and will be an EE.

Sounds like a lot of data points just moved the way of Texas.

Another thing that was mentioned after the announcement was made by the guy hosting. Kirkland recorded that announcement video 2 days ago. He's attending a football function in the Orlando area right now.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

Ok, I’m very happy to be very wrong, Douche Meter at zero on this kid, handed the announcement with class and included his mom, who referenced tradition as a reason for their choice. 

Speaking of “Choice,” Tashard has apparently scouted him in person multiple times, Flood and Sark were on him while at Bama, and he communicates with Arch weekly. 

Welcome, Payton!

Same. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders. 

Maybe I need to quit forming opinions from internet forums... Nah

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2