Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

A few questions for the knowledge base:

Are teams still subject to the 85 ship players?  Can you exceed that roster size with non-ship players?

Last year we took ~35 players.  Many here are predicting a '23 class near 30 or so.  That's 65 new players.  Depending on the answer to my first question that means retaining 20 pre '22 players.  Obviously some will graduate or go NFL early.  But can we really "process" that many out?  From previous pages it sounds like "process" means not renewing a ship, correct?  Would this impact locker room dynamics?

Who is fcb?

How long before texam begins the bag drop recruiting?  I know they were trying to get "the fund" set up for some legitimacy but I don't think it is done yet (welcome to not having a legit law school).  Are their donors timid due to all the attention from last year?  I have to imagine the bag drop recruiting starts soon based on their current place.  I realize answers to this are opinion based, but many on here are more informed than me.

Thank you for any response.  Carry on Surly - more boobs are always a positive too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Are teams still subject to the 85 ship players?  Can you exceed that roster size with non-ship players?

Last year we took ~35 players.  Many here are predicting a '23 class near 30 or so.  That's 65 new players.  Depending on the answer to my first question that means retaining 20 pre '22 players.  Obviously some will graduate or go NFL early.  But can we really "process" that many out?  From previous pages it sounds like "process" means not renewing a ship, correct?  Would this impact locker room dynamics?

Oh, good. A question about numbers.

4 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Who is fcb?

How long before texam begins the bag drop recruiting?  I know they were trying to get "the fund" set up for some legitimacy but I don't think it is done yet (welcome to not having a legit law school).  Are their donors timid due to all the attention from last year?  I have to imagine the bag drop recruiting starts soon based on their current place.  I realize answers to this are opinion based, but many on here are more informed than me.

Thank you for any response.  Carry on Surly - more boobs are always a positive too. 

Look at that roster of middling futility and tell me there are more than 20 guys we need to keep. Also- if we got 65 in an 18 month period some of the ones we signed even most recently will work their way out the door. 

6 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Who is fcb?

1. Yes, 85 still applies. And you can’t go over like 105 or some such once you include walk ons.

2. Several of the 35 we took last year are one and done players (Tucker-Dorsey, Milton, maybe Billingsly and Neyor) so it’s really closer to 60 when you factor in who will be remaining next fall from this past class and this upcoming class. There will surely be attrition from the 2022 class at some point too. Considering almost all of the 2019 class is already medically retired or in the portal and 1/4th of the 2020 class is already gone, it’s definitely not a stretch to say there will only be around 25 pre 2022 players on the roster next fall.

3. Fuck Chip Brown

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Good try Chip and fuck you!

I'm a 1997 grad from the MPA program.  Started with a scholarship in Petroleum Engineering.  Lived in the Goodall Whoten (sp?) my first few years at UT.  Honest questions from an older fan.  I was there for the Mackovic years, that alone should get an honest answer. 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

1. Yes, 85 still applies. And you can’t go over like 105 or some such once you include walk ons.

2. Several of the 35 we took last year are one and done players (Tucker-Dorsey, Milton, maybe Billingsly and Neyor) so it’s really closer to 60 when you factor in who will be remaining next fall from this past class and this upcoming class. There will surely be attrition from the 2022 class at some point too. Considering almost all of the 2019 class is already medically retired or in the portal and 1/4th of the 2020 class is already gone, it’s definitely not a stretch to say there will only be around 25 pre 2022 players on the roster next fall.

3. Fuck Chip Brown

Thank You!  As an accountant / finance person, this totally helps me get my mind around it.  Much appreciated, sir. 

4 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Thank You!  As an accountant / finance person, this totally helps me get my mind around it.  Much appreciated, sir. 

Aggie bags will be dropped this coming weekend.  Probably heavy bags.  The pool party is the Hill they are going to die on or die trying.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, hornlife said:

I'm a 1997 grad from the MPA program.  Started with a scholarship in Petroleum Engineering.  Lived in the Goodall Whoten (sp?) my first few years at UT.  Honest questions from an older fan.  I was there for the Mackovic years, that alone should get an honest answer. 

look closer terry crews GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Mountain Dew GIF

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Cry me a river pal. Some of us suffered through McWilliams AND Mackovic. Shock the Nation Tour & SWC Championship till that dreaded Cotton Bowl vs Miami was a tease. Mackovic’s first two seasons barely bested Charlie Strong’s records. That’s what some of us grads get to remember our 4 years on the 40 acres. 

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Clint Eastwood

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Aggie bags will be dropped this coming weekend.  Probably heavy bags.  The pool party is the Hill they are going to die on or die trying.  

That was my thought also.  Do you think there is any reluctance from donors due to last years attention?  As an accountant/finance, I'd be nervous from multiple levels.  IRS reporting, compliance, state and federal laws.  The crypto rumor is garbage, it fluctuates too much to assign a value.  I suppose if they keep donations to the bag fund under 10k at a time they could get away with it again but that also relies on recruits/family not depositing less than 10k at a time or stashing the cash. 

On a positive note, thrilled with our current class.  Some of these OL can stack behind last year and develop with a shirt.  I'm all in on Sark.  Life alumni member that has restarted my contributions.  Finally a coach that gets it.  I'd take 8 wins this year.  Let these kids reshape and develop.  

For reference, I was OK with the Strong hire.  He was brought in to clean house and change the culture, not as a long term solution.  He did clean house but failed at everything else.  Herman I was against at every level.  That hire stopped my contributions.  Right or wrong, I felt we could have done better. 

I've watched Sark talk on Youtube etc. - he has the class of Mackovic, the desire to win like DKR, the knowledge of early Mack on recruiting, and brought in a great staff (unlike Herman). He tells things as they are.  No BS from him. He adjusts and has a real plan.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Okcool said:

Cry me a river pal. Some of us suffered through McWilliams AND Mackovic. Shock the Nation Tour & SWC Championship till that dreaded Cotton Bowl vs Miami was a tease. Mackovic’s first two seasons barely bested Charlie Strong’s records. That’s what some of us grads get to remember our 4 years on the 40 acres. 

I was there, just saying I'm not fcb.  Older fan that got to party on 6th street with the James Brown songs.  I don't want a pissing match with anyone here.  I've followed this for over 30 years on multiple sites.  With Parkinson's today is a day I can type.  

And to Bigbend1812, yes I do either wear my contacts and reading glasses or my normal glasses and remove them to read. To your pictures but I'm a skinny white dude lol. I'm also sure I am a lot smarter than this fcb guy you reference. But to each his own, it is Surly and I've read it for years and sites that pre-dated it for years.  Probably sites that predated your birth. 

Not a weight trainer, how long does it realistically get the beef we got in '22 ready?  I see '23 as all redshirts unless injuries.  They are super talented but will need time to shape.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, hornlife said:

I was there, just saying I'm not fcb.  Older fan that got to party on 6th street with the James Brown songs.  I don't want a pissing match with anyone here.  I've followed this for over 30 years on multiple sites.  With Parkinson's today is a day I can type.  

And to Bigbend1812, yes I do either wear my contacts and reading glasses or my normal glasses and remove them to read. To your pictures but I'm a skinny white dude lol. I'm also sure I am a lot smarter than this fcb guy you reference. But to each his own, it is Surly and I've read it for years and sites that pre-dated it for years.  Probably sites that predated your birth. 

Not a weight trainer, how long does it realistically get the beef we got in '22 ready?  I see '23 as all redshirts unless injuries.  They are super talented but will need time to shape.

Are you saying you have Parkinson’s Disease? Bless you man, I guess I won’t shit on you for not knowing how to spell the name of a dorm you lived in for “a few years.” And you’re not “old,” not compared to some of us. Best wishes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Lulz.  You may not be Chip, but I know who you are.... 

Survival Draining GIF by What We Do in the Shadows

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Surprised Fuck Me GIF by Shining Vale

No pissing match intended. You brought back some football season nightmares is all lol. I second @Vito Andolini. Bless you man. I've been in the Parkinson's field indirectly the last 7 years. Glad you're feeling "on" today my man. Nothing but the best to you. DM'd you

40 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Glad you're having a good day, pardner! Hook 'em (but fuck you if you're Chip Brown)! :)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, hornlife said:

49 in Sept.  It sucks - went from jogging and a swimmer to tremors and shakes.  I'm scared to death of fixing a light bulb on a ladder.  I just pray it isn't MS.  Neither have a blood test, it takes time.  When your legs constantly feel like you hit your funny bone in your elbow, concern.  when you have tremors so bad you can't shave it's an issue. Not looking for sympathy, just a Longhorn.  I was at that Nebraska game in SA with Mackovic on 4th down with a pass to the TE to seal it.  I was at the Michigan Rose Bowl. 

On my dorm, it was a shithole on Guadalupe street right across from Dobie (sp?) the big blue one.  I accepted late it was the only dorm available (off campus, it was too late to get on campus).  I originally was going to texam with my high school friend and now my ex-brother in law. We could walk to a great Greek restaurant down some steps and get a gyros, the arcade - Street Fighter tournaments, Gumby's pizza, Double Dave's I think too . I covered my expenses with internships at AA, PW, and Enron. And further down Taco Bell.

I just want to see some good football before I go.  I will donate and have already left some to UT.  I realize this is a fun, thrash people board.  Thrash away, it's ok.  It won't offend me.  

Life Alumni Member, 2 degrees from UT, season ticket holder for years I lived in Texas, hate aggie, respect OU but want to beat them, contributor to UT.

And for BigBend1812:

image.thumb.jpeg.63df63294433142b8920e8b88fab9794.jpeg

Just make sure it’s not the beginning of Lewy body disease. People often start receiving meds for Parkinson’s only to realize later it’s Lewy Body’s and the Parkinson drugs are not good for Lewy. It took my father in law a trip to the Mayo Clinic to finally get a correct diagnosis. 

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, hornlife said:

49 in Sept.  It sucks - went from jogging and a swimmer to tremors and shakes.  I'm scared to death of fixing a light bulb on a ladder.  I just pray it isn't MS.  Neither have a blood test, it takes time.  When your legs constantly feel like you hit your funny bone in your elbow, concern.  when you have tremors so bad you can't shave it's an issue. Not looking for sympathy, just a Longhorn.  I was at that Nebraska game in SA with Mackovic on 4th down with a pass to the TE to seal it.  I was at the Michigan Rose Bowl. 

On my dorm, it was a shithole on Guadalupe street right across from Dobie (sp?) the big blue one.  I accepted late it was the only dorm available (off campus, it was too late to get on campus).  I originally was going to texam with my high school friend and now my ex-brother in law. We could walk to a great Greek restaurant down some steps and get a gyros, the arcade - Street Fighter tournaments, Gumby's pizza, Double Dave's I think too . I covered my expenses with internships at AA, PW, and Enron. And further down Taco Bell.

I just want to see some good football before I go.  I will donate and have already left some to UT.  I realize this is a fun, thrash people board.  Thrash away, it's ok.  It won't offend me.  

Life Alumni Member, 2 degrees from UT, season ticket holder for years I lived in Texas, hate aggie, respect OU but want to beat them, contributor to UT.

And for BigBend1812:

image.thumb.jpeg.63df63294433142b8920e8b88fab9794.jpeg

Hook’em

5 minutes ago, hornlife said:

I covered my expenses with internships at AA, PW, and Enron. And further down Taco Bell.

Hiring manager didn't think you were overqualified to press a crunchwrap supreme at that point?

Hope you hang around and post more.  I've mostly only seen Surly/Shaggy while we sucked shit through a straw... can't imagine how fun it will be if we get this thing rolling.  

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I suffered through three straight 6-4 seasons with DKR, but he luckily redeemed himself.

Looks like we were at Texas about the same time. 

1966   7-4

1967   6-4

1968   9-1-1

1969   11-0

Apparently you were there for 1965 when we went 6-4

For me, the 1969 season was maybe the best that I have ever experienced.

3 minutes ago, salonghorn said:

Looks like we were at Texas about the same time. 

1966   7-4

1967   6-4

1968   9-1-1

1969   11-0

Apparently you were there for 1965 when we went 6-4

For me, the 1969 season was maybe the best that I have ever experienced.

I first enrolled in Sept. 1962.