Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

I didn't attend UT. Fucked around too much in highschool. I was born and raised in Austin. They just demoed the hospital I was born at downtown. I guess that makes me a Tshirt fan huh?

We're not aggy. "T-shirt fan" isn't a pejorative here.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

Per a source, On3 Consensus 4-star Derion Gullette is scheduled to be in Austin Thursday. 

He may, or may not make a visit to Texas A&M over the weekend. 

Nice, didn’t CTJ mention last week he was pretty much ready to shut things down (in our favor) but his family was encouraging him to slow things down a bit and take more visits?

Just now, Rimbo said:

We're not aggy. "T-shirt fan" isn't a pejorative here.

Yeah, you're welcome here without the need to qualify the type of fan you are.  There are other rules we follow here...the others can fill you in of your obligations.

7 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Aren't we in a pretty good spot with Jordan Matthews? That would give us a secondary class of Williams, Muhammad, Johnson, and then potentially adding Matthews, Toviano and maybe Thomas? Are we taking 6?

To be clear regarding Thomas, my post about that guy flipping was largely wishcasting. It wouldn't be the craziest shit ever, but I don't think there is real buzz around that. Someone ask a guru and see if they think there's more to it because I've got no idea.

Definitely enjoying seeing the staff more prepared for the pool party bullshit, and glad Baxter isn't attending. If we can get through the weekend without Hill committing I think we win out ultimately.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear regarding Thomas, my post about that guy flipping was largely wishcasting. It wouldn't be the craziest shit ever, but I don't think there is real buzz around that. Someone ask a guru and see if they think there's more to it because I've got no idea.

Thanks for the clarification, I think some of us took it as more behind the scenes than wishcasting. Someone should definitely through it at IT and see what they think.

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Davis Lane said:

God dam!!!

Covid strikes again and we get Muhammed AND Kirkland.

Sorry you got the Covid, mom.

But got dam!!!!

Ok which recruits do we need next, I think my brother is due the Wuhan.

We're pretty much done on offense. Baxter, Hale, MHP, and Duce are left on the board. 

On defense we probably need 3 more in the secondary  - Toviano, Matthews, and a safety (not sure who). In the front seven, we probably need 5-7 more. We're working on (in descending order of who I think is most likely to commit) :  Gullette, Hill, Hicks, Akana, Shelby, Vasek, Damon Wilson, Markis Deal, Osborne, Samu. Maybe some others come along like Taderius Collins.

2011-2012, Jester West.  Actually lived on same floor as track team and some football players (Jaxon and Cedric Reed were really nice guys.  Case was a dick).  Hung out with Ryan Crouser quite a bit who now has two gold medals and the world record in shot put.  Someone put together an NCAA Football tournament and Quandre Diggs destroyed my ass.  Interestingly enough almost all the football players chose to play with West Virginia.   CSB

Probably cause Tavon Austin was a cheat code
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think Thomas (along with Rodgers) fall in your category of "taking a huge bag and shutting it down".  Both these guys were offered earlier this year, and committed to them a month or two later.

10 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

In the front seven, we probably need 5-7 more. We're working on (in descending order of who I think is most likely to commit) :  Gullette, Hill, Hicks, Akana, Shelby, Vasek, Damon Wilson, Markis Deal, Osborne, Samu. Maybe some others come along like Taderius Collins.

This guy is still scheduled to visit this weekend.

https://247sports.com/player/jamarious-brown-46109911/

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Happy to.  Find me one first.

2 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

Half the graduates on here wouldn't have gotten in these last 15 years either, so rock it.

Edit: bad form from old graduate

Yeah.  I'm pretty sure UT would no longer be impressed with my 3.1 HS GPA.  Thank God for the SAT back in the day.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Apparently Duce Robinson might be a surprise visitor to the barbecue?

Obviously you take this commitment if you can get it, but Sark has put himself in a weird position with Mater Dei. While he wouldn't likely process Shannon, recruiting over him wouldn't be perceived very well after Kerry last cycle. It looks like they have a couple OL and a DL in the '24 top 150 after their top 50 QB. 

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Obviously you take this commitment if you can get it, but Sark has put himself in a weird position with Mater Dei. While he wouldn't likely process Shannon, recruiting over him wouldn't be perceived very well after Kerry last cycle. It looks like they have a couple OL and a DL in the '24 top 150 after their top 50 QB. 

So Sark is gonna take a Duce on Shannon?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Would be a real shame if we lost our 2nd lowest rated commit. A tragedy actually.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What Shannon brings to the table is never going to score well with the recruiting rankings. That said, solid blocking TEs with good size and decent hands tend find themselves as vital contributors to rosters and the really good ones can unsexily go on to play for years in the NFL. I don't want to lose Shannon. Fortunately, the staff doesn't seem like they view the two players for the same role. How often has Sarkisian gone legit Aces in the past? Any? I haven't really thought about it.

True, we are coming up on year 8 of Geoff Swaim's NFL career.

• Hook 'Em 3

49 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I wish we were in a better position with Osborne. That dude has serious potential. 

Since we ain’t getting him, I personally think it’d be fucking hilarious if Tennessee bought him out from under Bama. 

Anyone nervous about Gullette’s ACL? I’m a little surprised we’re still apparently full steam ahead there. 

I doubt we’re recruiting over Shannon. They went out to CA and locked him up pronto. Seems like a guy they really like above his rankings. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Kerry was a reach at best. Most thought he wasn't even the best LB on their team. If I'm not mistaken, he got benched for poor play during the season.

7 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Gerry thinks he’s a top 100 player in the country

His tape looked good as a strong side defensive end. A lot of times he was asked to contain rather than rush the QB. He seems to have good size and good feet. He rushes pretty well when asked although that isn't his strong suit. He is a sure tackler...

21 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Would be a real shame if we lost our 2nd lowest rated commit. A tragedy actually.

Aside from him being a potentially useful type of player, burning bridges at Mater Dei would not be good. They churn out multiple ~top 100 guys every year. They might be due for a new coaching staff soon, though... 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm pretty sure even the Mater Dei coaches told Kerry to decommit and look around for a spot that gave him a better chance to actually play. I guess that's technically processing but it's not what you usually see in those situations. 

I have no problem taking 3 TE's this cycle. We didn't take one last cycle, we have 5 scholarship TE's right now and one of them is Liebrock who hasn't played in 2 years and is 5th on the depth chart as a redshirt junior. Obvious portal or medical retirement candidate. Very real possibility we lose Billingsly after this season if he has a solid year and hopefully Sanders only has a few years left, so numbers could thin out quickly in that room.

• Hook 'Em 4