Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

I'm assuming Mater Dei is typically an USC feeder school when USC has their crap together? Seems like the next year or two is when you want to try to get some guys from there because if Riley has some early success he is going to likely put a fence up around that school.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I have no problem taking 3 TE's this cycle. We didn't take one last cycle, we have 5 scholarship TE's right now and one of them is Liebrock who hasn't played in 2 years and is 5th on the depth chart as a redshirt junior. Obvious portal or medical retirement candidate. Very real possibility we lose Billingsly after this season if he has a solid year and hopefully Sanders only has a few years left, so numbers could thin out quickly in that room.

Do you think Juan Davis sticks around?

As others have stated, definately don't want to lose Shannon.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Do you think Juan Davis sticks around?

As others have stated, definately don't want to lose Shannon.

He seems to be on the outside looking in for playing time this year so I'm sure he'll be one to watch.

He was another classic Herman recruit. Was an all around solid HS player but he played like 8 different positions so where is his best spot at the next level? TE, LB, H-Back? 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

What I've said for a while now is that Gullette's been ready to commit to UT. Ohio State, according to some, has been running second. A member of the family thinks it would be prudent for him to finish his visits this fall. It's not clear that that family member will continue to win the conversation. Gullette's ACL injury shook him a bit. He wants to get it over with in recruiting before spots get filled by other guys that have big senior seasons and such. (Note: it really doesn't matter whether that could, in fact, happen to him. the logic on his end is sound with that concern and i challenge anyone here to say they wouldn't be nervous in the same way.)

Don't blame him one bit if that is his reasoning.

15 minutes ago, NevaLost said:

Aside from him being a potentially useful type of player, burning bridges at Mater Dei would not be good. They churn out multiple ~top 100 guys every year. They might be due for a new coaching staff soon, though... 

How many of those top 100 guys ever did shit here? Mater Dei is largely a USC feeder school, I’m not turning down a top player now for the slim chance of a top player in the future.

I’d like to keep Shannon, but if landing Duce causes him to leave, then that’s fine with me.

15 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

How many of those top 100 guys ever did shit here? Mater Dei is largely a USC feeder school, I’m not turning down a top player now for the slim chance of a top player in the future.

I’d like to keep Shannon, but if landing Duce causes him to leave, then that’s fine with me.

It would be the height of foolishness to either take a bad player or not take a good player in the hopes of setting up a high school pipeline 1,400 miles away. Luckily the message board crowd isn't running the team.

4 minutes ago, Vermin said:

It would be the height of foolishness to either take a bad player or not take a good player in the hopes of setting up a high school pipeline 1,400 miles away. Luckily the message board crowd isn't running the team.

Isn’t Sark’s kid at Mater Dei currently?  Seems like Sark would probably have a better relationship with that coaching staff than most college coaches.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Vermin said:

No one is saying that. It's clear Sark wants influence there as he has had in the past, and as an observer, that initiative isn't going great. I would agree with the thought they play different positions relative to the offense and 2 of 3 could be on the field at the same time. That said, at minimum I would expect other staffs recruiting Shannon to pull on that lever with force, further complicating Sark's Mater Dei ambitions. No judgement on any of the players or the staff, just an observation. 

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I'm certainly not advocating telling Duce to kick rocks so we can keep Shannon. But that high school has produced multiple Heisman trophy winners so I do think that our coaching staff being on good terms with Mater Dei is something to keep in mind.

I don't think Duce would necessarily push Shannon out of the class anyways. 

53 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm assuming Mater Dei is typically an USC feeder school when USC has their crap together? Seems like the next year or two is when you want to try to get some guys from there because if Riley has some early success he is going to likely put a fence up around that school.

Mater Dei is THE USC feeder school

I don't think Mater Dei has any loyalties or blacklists. Their players come from everywhere and go everywhere.  Pete Carroll isn't at USC anymore.

You don't want to be an asshole, but I don't think MD's coaches are ones to easily let bridges burn over a "normal-yet-delicate" recruiting situation.  They are more professional at this than your avg HS coach.  It's the school's business model.

All that being said, you take Duce and Shannon.  If Shannon doesn't like the crowd, so be it, but I personally think there's room for both.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 3

Duce is a numbers buster and I think we are doing the right thing by signing two guys who we like, and then keeping a spot open for the guy we love even though we are said to be trailing USC for him. Even if we took 3 this cycle, we will lose a minimum of 1 TE to the portal next offseason in either Leibrock or Davis, so it would keep our numbers right. If we lose both then we would be thrilled we took 3. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So what tidbits have the the 8&4 mods provided to give aggy hope on Gullette? The pool party visit... and?! It feels he's been on Texas commit watch for the better part of a month. 

For one, they’ve got that coach that can apparently cook, aka, butcher the absolute hell out of “ribs”, so they’ve got that going for them….

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

To balance out this recruiting post, I’ll say I also stayed in jester

737D8358-1C64-43C3-AFE9-5132C9EA9A9B.jpeg

Maybe he just doesn’t want to hang out with 8th graders

EVALUATED 02/09/2022

CooperPetagna
Cooper Petagna NATIONAL RECRUITING ANALYST

PROJECTION

4-7 Round DAY 3

Verified at 6-foot-3 and 250-pounds. Appears to possess growth potential to add additional weight to his frame. Displays good athleticism at the five technique, flashes some ability to play inside on the interior.

Flashes a good first step off the line of scrimmage, displaying good foot and body quickness at the point of attack. Plays with good knee bend and flexibility, showing the ability to bend the edge. Sudden rusher, moves efficiency in his pass rush. Can win with speed, quickness, and power. Shows the ability to go speed to power at the point of attack, plays with a good understanding of leverage and body control. Closes space quickly and flashes excellent backside pursuit ability. Appears to have a good motor.

Already 250-pounds with some length, position projection will depend on how he physically develops into his body over the next year and a half. Has the ability to play out on the edge but possesses a more natural skill set inside as a three technique; anchoring the run and offering some pass rushing upside. Projects to a high level multi-year starter at a Power Five program at the next level with some developmental upside.

Hunter Osborne is a Defensive Tackle from Trussville, AL.

Any reason this kid doesn't go to Bama?

25 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

For one, they’ve got that coach that can apparently cook, aka, butcher the absolute hell out of “ribs”, so they’ve got that going for them….

Man if horribly cooked BBQ is a major enticement, then we better hope Lincoln Riley never starts up a Pool Party of his own at USC...

Lincoln Riley hilariously roasted for sad attempt at brisket

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What Shannon brings to the table is never going to score well with the recruiting rankings. That said, solid blocking TEs with good size and decent hands tend find themselves as vital contributors to rosters and the really good ones can unsexily go on to play for years in the NFL. I don't want to lose Shannon. Fortunately, the staff doesn't seem like they view the two players for the same role. How often has Sarkisian gone legit Aces in the past? Any? I haven't really thought about it.

Big time this. Robinson is a numbers buster and you take 3 for sure. 

51 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I know we lost our punter last year....how's our kicking game going to be this year?

Completely unknown. 

We have good prospects with no experience, so the start of the season will be “exciting”.

The Aussie punters always need time to adjust to an actual rush. Sometimes that can take nearly an entire season. (See: Dickson, Michael - UT)

Hopefully the learning curve is short, but right now we’ve just got hope. 🤞

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Completely unknown. 

We have good prospects with no experience, so the start of the season will be “exciting”.

The Aussie punters always need time to adjust to an actual rush. Sometimes that can take nearly an entire season. (See: Dickson, Michael - UT)

As long as someone can kick and extra point we will be fine. Punter wont letter. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Completely unknown. 

I have to believe that Pearson has gone to school on his predecessors.  The place kicking will likely be a work-in-progress, but the kid from Regents should eventually become a dependable weapon.  How long is that?  His background would indicate less time than most seem to think, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

Duce is a better receiver than many of the national receivers in the 2023 class. He can play in-line tight end. He can also legitimately flex, at times, while Shannon plays in-line tight end. I know we've had unqualified flex TEs in the past decade but Duce is the real deal. He could take receiver reps. Like CTJ said, you don't want to lose Shannon and there should be room for both on the field. Duce probably takes more snaps from Randle than Shannon.

I'm trying to think of the last few tight ends with this much talent. Kyle Pitts was a freak but only ranked #162 on the 247 Composite. Who else? OJ Howard? He's got a different style but he's a great two way threat at TE.

Sark should have the opportunity to display this on the field in 2022, if Ja'Tavion Sanders and Gunnar Helm can progress at in-line TE. There's some receiving weapons at that position (Sanders, Billingsley, Davis) for the first time in a long time.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

I don't think Mater Dei has any loyalties or blacklists. Their players come from everywhere and go everywhere.  Pete Carroll isn't at USC anymore.

You don't want to be an asshole, but I don't think MD's coaches are ones to easily let bridges burn over a "normal-yet-delicate" recruiting situation.  They are more professional at this than your avg HS coach.  It's the school's business model.

All that being said, you take Duce and Shannon.  If Shannon doesn't like the crowd, so be it, but I personally think there's room for both.

I believe the head coach at Mater Dei is a good friend of Sark's. Didn't he come out when Sark was hired, or before he was hired, and talk about their friendship and how much respect he has for Sark as a coach? He's known him for two decades and Sark's son goes to Mater Dei.

I think the decision with the linebacker last year can easily be explained and I don't see this coach holding a beef there. And there's room for both Shannon and Duce. If Shannon decommits, it will be because he wanted to go another route.