Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

11 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Duce is a better receiver than many of the national receivers in the 2023 class. He can play in-line tight end. He can also legitimately flex, at times, while Shannon plays in-line tight end. I know we've had unqualified flex TEs in the past decade but Duce is the real deal. He could take receiver reps. Like CTJ said, you don't want to lose Shannon and there should be room for both on the field. Duce probably takes more snaps from Randle than Shannon.

I'm trying to think of the last few tight ends with this much talent. Kyle Pitts was a freak but only ranked #162 on the 247 Composite. Who else? OJ Howard? He's got a different style but he's a great two way threat at TE.

Sark should have the opportunity to display this on the field in 2022, if Ja'Tavion Sanders and Gunnar Helm can progress at in-line TE. There's some receiving weapons at that position (Sanders, Billingsley, Davis) for the first time in a long time.

It's my firm (and probably misguided) belief that Will Randle will be a fullback.

Also what if Shannon grows into an athletic OT? It could happen. 

• Hook 'Em 7

21 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Duce is a better receiver than many of the national receivers in the 2023 class. He can play in-line tight end. He can also legitimately flex, at times, while Shannon plays in-line tight end. I know we've had unqualified flex TEs in the past decade but Duce is the real deal. He could take receiver reps. Like CTJ said, you don't want to lose Shannon and there should be room for both on the field. Duce probably takes more snaps from Randle than Shannon.

I'm trying to think of the last few tight ends with this much talent. Kyle Pitts was a freak but only ranked #162 on the 247 Composite. Who else? OJ Howard? He's got a different style but he's a great two way threat at TE.

Sark should have the opportunity to display this on the field in 2022, if Ja'Tavion Sanders and Gunnar Helm can progress at in-line TE. There's some receiving weapons at that position (Sanders, Billingsley, Davis) for the first time in a long time.

the thought of Scaife/Thomas/Finley level tight end play makes me want to touch myself

Edited by 4th and 5
I'd probably touch myself either way
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Wow, last night I decided not to share my story about sleeping in my car the night vy beat osu in ‘05 because it wasn’t really germane..Only to return and read about where each one of you fine fuckers lived during college and what the bathroom setup was.

200.gif

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No shit. Some of the most ardent UT fans I know never went there and I don't give one fuck that they didn't. It's actually a pretty important part of the brand's power.

Absolutely. A guy who lived down the street from where I grew up flew a burnt orange Bevo flag after every Texas win. And we know for a fact that he was a Tech grad. HUGE Longhorn fan and supporter. (Financially, too.)

Not to mention all the money my parents have thrown Texas' way, and not just to pay for our educations. They never went to Texas themselves.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, speed817 said:

speaking of which, how has roschon only attempted one pass so far in his career???  figured they would've worked in some trickery at some point

@RGBIII asked Jared Wiley on their last podcast who would register the first pass attempt this season: Wiley at TCU, or Roschon at Texas. Wiley answered Roschon.

It remains to be seen what the result will be, but the Wildcat is a much more credible threat when the player executing it can actually pass.

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Wow, last night I decided not to share my story about sleeping in my car the night vy beat osu in ‘05 because it wasn’t really germane..Only to return and read about where each one of you fine fuckers lived during college and what the bathroom setup was.

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Had to give us something after Arch got dropped down a spot

ESPN started believing some of the "Arch is only perceived as elite because of his name" bullshit narrative after he committed to Texas. If Arch were still uncommitted or committed to UGA/Alabama he would still be their #1 ranked QB in the class. There's a good reason why ESPN isn't in the top 3 of credible recruiting services. Maybe not even top 5

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I believe the head coach at Mater Dei is a good friend of Sark's. Didn't he come out when Sark was hired, or before he was hired, and talk about their friendship and how much respect he has for Sark as a coach? He's known him for two decades and Sark's son goes to Mater Dei.

I think the decision with the linebacker last year can easily be explained and I don't see this coach holding a beef there. And there's room for both Shannon and Duce. If Shannon decommits, it will be because he wanted to go another route.

I’m not sure what his sexual preference has to do with his support of sark, but I’m in agreement with the rest of your post, carry on. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

ESPN started believing some of the "Arch is only perceived as elite because of his name" bullshit narrative after he committed to Texas. If Arch were still uncommitted or committed to UGA/Alabama he would still be their #1 ranked QB in the class. There's a good reason why ESPN isn't in the top 3 of credible recruiting services. Maybe not even top 5

He dropped from #1 to #2, it’s not that serious. And as shitty as ESPN recruiting has become, I’d still take them over Rivals.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

It’s no Liucci 44.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

https://247sports.com/player/martellus-bennett-25224/

Was #16 Overall

1 hour ago, NTVTXN said:

I being Native Texan in my family and as a child, getting dragged to Barnhill arena and (the other) Memorial Stadium for piggy games. 

My Wife is a grad and our oldest is a rising Soph in McCombs. Just bought season Tix this year. So lots of $$$ flowing to UT these days.🤘🏻

Given the college living situation posts over the last 24 hours, I had started to think that:

NTVTXN

North Texas Van TeXaN

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

And that's approaching two decades ago. Jermichael Finley was another player within the state with serious receiving skills. Finley should have been used even more at Texas. 

I think Duce could be a poor man's Kyle Pitts type of athlete. Pitts was also underutilized at Florida. I'm wondering if these college tight ends are underutilized because teams have difficulty finding another in-line TE on the roster to run 12 formation? Or is it just a matter of keeping the receivers happy? These guys all produced good numbers, but all three guys could legitimately play the receiver position. 

Finley ran a 4.67

Bennett ran a 4.68

Kyle Pitts has been clocked at 4.44 and there are reports he's gone lower than that.

Duce Robinson ran a 4.7 as a sophomore. Just looking at frame and highlight tape, he's going to get faster IMO.

All these guys could beat most of our receivers under Herman and Strong with 50 to 60 extra weight on their frames. Damn, I'll just forget I ever thought of that. Rage.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

And that's approaching two decades ago. Jermichael Finley was another player within the state with serious receiving skills. Finley should have been used even more at Texas. 

I think Duce could be a poor man's Kyle Pitts type of athlete. Pitts was also underutilized at Florida. I'm wondering if these college tight ends are underutilized because teams have difficulty finding another in-line TE on the roster to run 12 formation? Or is it just a matter of keeping the receivers happy? These guys all produced good numbers, but all three guys could legitimately play the receiver position. 

Finley ran a 4.67

Bennett ran a 4.68

Kyle Pitts has been clocked at 4.44 and there are reports he's gone lower than that.

Duce Robinson ran a 4.7 as a sophomore. Just looking at frame and highlight tape, he's going to get faster IMO.

All these guys could beat most of our receivers under Herman and Strong with 50 to 60 extra weight on their frames. Damn, I'll just forget I ever thought of that. Rage.

Arik Gilbert was 5 overall as a TE, although he's now considered a WR maybe. 

Oh, and Aaron Hernandez was 35 overall. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, tokamak said:

Since we ain’t getting him, I personally think it’d be fucking hilarious if Tennessee bought him out from under Bama. 

Anyone nervous about Gullette’s ACL? I’m a little surprised we’re still apparently full steam ahead there. 

I doubt we’re recruiting over Shannon. They went out to CA and locked him up pronto. Seems like a guy they really like above his rankings. 

According to Gerry Hamilton & the other IT mods, Gullette is considered an elite freak athlete that is take regardless of his season-ending injury.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Finley ran a 4.67

Bennett ran a 4.68

yeah, Duce Robinson may be impressive, but he flat out isn't Kyle Pitts. he is a really really rare dude as a TE with an incredible RAS.

Also Finley and Pitts is a really bad comparison per RAS:

image.png.fc4ad57d853a8fc2b17e1275382deed3.png

Bennett vs Pitts:

image.png.b669e85ae23085e604e25a21a9869c61.png

All of this to say, let's not compare a dude who is going into his senior year of high school to a guy who is one of the most athletic TEs ever, who was a unamious All American, won the John Mackey award, was drafted #4 (tied for highest drafted TE in the history of the NFL), was the second rookie TE ever to break 1000 yards, broke the Tony Gonzalez franchise record for single season yardage by a TE, and was the 1st rookie TE to make the pro bowl in the last 20 years.

there are setting expectations too high, then there is comparing a dude in high school to Kyle Pitts. let's not do that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, NoName said:

yeah, Duce Robinson may be impressive, but he flat out isn't Kyle Pitts. he is a really really rare dude as a TE with an incredible RAS.

Also Finley and Pitts is a really bad comparison per RAS:

image.png.fc4ad57d853a8fc2b17e1275382deed3.png

Bennett vs Pitts:

image.png.b669e85ae23085e604e25a21a9869c61.png

All of this to say, let's not compare a dude who is going into his senior year of high school to a guy who is one of the most athletic TEs ever, who was a unamious All American, won the John Mackey award, was drafted #4 (tied for highest drafted TE in the history of the NFL), was the second rookie TE ever to break 1000 yards, broke the Tony Gonzalez franchise record for single season yardage by a TE, and was the 1st rookie TE to make the pro bowl in the last 20 years.

there are setting expectations too high, then there is comparing a dude in high school to Kyle Pitts. let's not do that.

Kyle Pitts was also far from a can't miss recruit. Nice lower-mid 4 star: https://247sports.com/Player/Kyle-Pitts-80561/high-school-178350/

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/noah-fant/32004641-4e40-5165-5070-db7e36dbc0d7

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

He seems to be on the outside looking in for playing time this year so I'm sure he'll be one to watch.

He was another classic Herman recruit. Was an all around solid HS player but he played like 8 different positions so where is his best spot at the next level? TE, LB, H-Back? 

I think he has the inside track for the move TE position post Billingsley and will be a special teams player and depth guy this year.