Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

I get a chuckle every time these recruiting guys talk about a kids decision making process. They talk about it like it’s a horse race and a decision between two final schools is rounding the final turn. Have they ever made a decision before does anyone make decisions that linearly?? They all use the same type of narrative to describe things. It’s 100% fan fiction.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

If he makes the price squad it could be a week or a year. Practice squad players are avail to other teams looking to fill a need or patch an injury hole 

I think I need to give my friend with McNair Interests a call and see if we can get the Texans to sign him.

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Doubt it. Much more likely they start Helm at in-line and shift Sanders to Move TE after Billingsley leaves. Helm has looked really good so far. 

I can see that... Nice to have options  you believe allowing at least one of the '23 guys to RS. 

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I lived in LA for most of a decade. I liked it. As a former Texas high school player (briefly, fucking knees), I couldn't help but think of how much more pleasant practice would be with August highs in the 80s with cool mornings and evenings. USC is in a rough part of town, but the scholarship football player lives in a glorious bubble. 

I definitely see the appeal of USC or, even better, UCLA if they could be consistently good. 

Same I love living in the Southbay. There’s a lot of shit to deal with but 75 degrees every day negates it 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Would love it if NIKE made anything 2E, high arch, skinny heel, with support against pronation, but…

image.gif.afae75634c1800347675b56dc9b03528.gif

One used to be able to go to their Bowerman running collection for that. But quite honestly, they’ve lost so much traction in the Run Specialty world they don’t even have that customer. Brooks, Hoka, NB and Saucony are kicking their ass daily in grassroots running stores.  

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I have those shoes!

#metoo

• Hook 'Em 1

HK was allegedly a real cocksman. Probably bullshit concocted by by some publicist, but besides two marriages, this is his alleged list:

Henry Kissinger has been in relationships with Samantha Eggar (1972 - 1973), Jill St. John (1970 - 1973), Candice Bergen (1970), Joanna Barnes (1970 - 1972), Marlo Thomas, Barbara Walters and Gina Lollobrigida.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I get a chuckle every time these recruiting guys talk about a kids decision making process. They talk about it like it’s a horse race and a decision between two final schools is rounding the final turn. Have they ever made a decision before does anyone make decisions that linearly?? They all use the same type of narrative to describe things. It’s 100% fan fiction.

Are you referring to the direct quote Gerry got from Shelby regarding where he is in his recruitment process?

I don’t necessarily disagree but it came from the player in this instance.

Tuesday Huddle: Recruiting news and notes

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

Tuesday Huddle: Recruiting news and notes

Hudson Standish

— Round Rock Stony Point 2023 running back Cam Cook will make his college decision in around two hours on the 247Sports YouTube channel. I entered a pick awhile back for him to end up at TCU and still feel good about that being correct.

When DeSoto’s Tre Wisner committed after the spring game it became clear that Cook and a host of other RB2’s wouldn’t have a spot in the Horns’ 2023 class with Cedric Baxter and at the time Rueben Owens the two RB1 candidates. We have given an official update on Edgewater’s Cedric Baxter in awhile but we still feel very good about our picks for him to end up at Texas ahead of an August 10th commitment date.

— Two 2023 Houston area defensive lineman will make decisions in the near future in Cy Woods’ Terrance Green and Atascocita’s Samu Taumanupepe. I mentioned over a couple weeks ago that Green didn’t seem likely for Texas and have the same read on Taumanupepe, most of the buzz I’ve heard on both prospects has been Oregon.

— With 20 commits in the class the Texas staff have been able to narrow their focus on the remaining priority targets on the board.

When you look on the offensive side of the ball in particular there are (by my estimation/current sourcing) only three spots left with RB1, WR, and a luxury TE spot for five-star athlete Duce Robinson open. Baxter has an August 10th decision date and Hale will likely decide in September but could pull the trigger earlier, so you’re left with the potential of Texas entering conference play with just one real recruiting battle in the 2023 class compared to the uncertainty of last year’s recruiting/on field dynamic.

One last note is that it remains to be seen if Texas actually will make a run at TJ Shanahan now that Payton Kirkland is in the class. A group of Texas commits is recruiting Shanahan hard, but it’s tough to imagine Texas finding a way to add another spot to this year’s OL group after taking 7 last season. My gut is that Shanahan will end up at A&M, but a visit to Texas during the season wouldn’t be surprising.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Blake used to be a $9.95er (with IT, I think).

image.thumb.png.b93554cfe99ab616a5e2f2f6245881f3.png

Showing my age but Blake was Jeff Howe’s replacement at IT.  Went full time when Howe left at the founding of 247 (so poached by Burton, who’s now at IT, completing the loop).  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

HK was allegedly a real cocksman. Probably bullshit concocted by by some publicist, but besides two marriages, this is his alleged list:

Henry Kissinger has been in relationships with Samantha Eggar (1972 - 1973), Jill St. John (1970 - 1973), Candice Bergen (1970), Joanna Barnes (1970 - 1972), Marlo Thomas, Barbara Walters and Gina Lollobrigida.

Jill St. John and Baba Wawa, yes.  Candice Bergen and Marlo Thomas, not a chance.  No idea about the others.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

image.png

Well he forgot to get rid of the part were his source is the guy who is setting up virtual meeting in some way or other in the WVU AD/President suite… Not too many people that could be…

This is why the idea of a source and then text messages are so insanely scary. All it takes someone seeing something and somebody gets burned.

5 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

I appreciate the data, even though we are all aware of it. But talk about reading what you want to read so you can create your own narrative. We've been discussing good TE prospects for the last page.

Not one person compared Finley to Pitts. We were discussing good college tight end prospects coming out of high school who can play the receiver position. A 4.67 at his size, and with his overall athleticism and ball skills, is exactly what we are discussing here. Finley, if I don't recall, was also a good basketball player in high school and wanted to play receiver in college. It shows on the field. Not only is a 4.67 fast for a college TE, but he shows athleticism that can't be measured. He was well on his way to a great NFL career before a nasty injury.  Finley was a freakish receiving TE. He fits the description.

Again, why are you making direct measurement comparisons between these players? And stating they shouldn't be in this discussion? You don't seem to understand the discussion. We are simply discussing great tight end targets. Bennett belongs in this discussion. The poster who brought him up is exactly right. Bennett was a freak. Should we only discuss Pitts and no one else? Should we just leave out Pitts from the discussion of great college TEs because he's too good to be great? What's the logic here?

Twenty years running and some dudes still don't understand what a comparison is in the recruiting world. The two major recruiting websites make them for every blue-chip prospect. It's a comparison in style of play. It has nothing to do with predicting a high school prospect is going to become that college/pro player. Kyle Pitts played college football. Duce Robinson will play college football in the future. Jonathan Gray's comparison was Emmitt Smith, but Gray was average at best. Anyone who watched him play should have been able to tell you he wasn't all that good. He had no burst through the hole and no balance. But his patience and running style, outside of the balance issue, was comparable to Emmitt coming out of high school. It doesn't mean he's going to be Emmitt. With that said, Duce's film is really damn good and he was running 4.7s as a sophomore. You have no idea what his testing numbers are going to be when he gets through college. A 4.7 kid as a sophomore can easily be a 4.5 kid by his senior year.

I already stated Pitts wasn't a highly ranked prospect (#167). He probably should have been highly rated. I don't know his story, but the services are really bad at their job. And all the northern states are overlooked to a certain degree.

Some of the NFL draft numbers: We have much better training these days than in the old days. It allows NFL prospects to prepare like never before. There will be another Kyle Pitts and it won't take ten years either. Just like quarterback records are broken all the time in this era.

BTW, I believe the comparison was a poor man's Kyle Pitts

Poor man's —used to refer to someone (such as a performer) who is like another person in some ways but not as talented or successful

no need to speak down to me here, i didn't leak over from the football board or 247 yesterday.

my point in general is that bringing up Kyle Pitts and Duce Robinson in any context that compares them is dumb. in my eyes, this is the case for Kyle Pitts and any high school player by the way. even if people are saying he is a "poor mans" Kyle Pitts...it's lazy. and yes - i firmly believe that we should leave Kyle Pitts out of any discussion of any high school TE. i have outlined my reasons why.

i understand comparisons and how they work with recruits and prospects in other sports. FYI, generally they are shit across the board, including the ones the "professionals" make. the only people that like comparisons like this are fans. not players, not players parents, not team's player development people, not coaches, not front office people. nobody. just the fans.

There will be another Kyle Pitts and it won't take ten years either. Just like quarterback records are broken all the time in this era.

well, basically everyone that covers the NFL draft generally disagrees with you. most everyone talked about how Pitts is a generational prospect at the position, so i think i am going to go with...everyone else on the other side of this equation vs you.

also it isn't about just testing numbers. going #4 in the draft is about WAY more than just athleticism - Jelani Woods literally is the #1 out of 998 TE in the RAS database going back to 1987. know where he got drafted this last year? third round. know whose RAS score he topped? noted TE great Anthony Becht. 

the odds of there being another TE, who goes that high in the draft, has that kind of rookie year and then also makes the pro bowl (last one who did it as a rookie was 20 years ago) is rare.

Woods RAS info btw:

Spoiler

Edited by NoName