Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Who are you pitching to? It’s not hypothetical unless you think I am full of shit. You’re welcome to think that and I can’t convince you otherwise and no offense taken. If you do buy what I am saying, then there’s not much you or I can do. It needs to happen on the field. Hicks’ dad is a coach, so he’s not coming from a place of ignorance. 

2) They’re selling last year as well when it comes to offense. There’s just nothing to sell from last year to defensive recruits. It’s all about building a winner in the future and being a part of that. 

I agree with that. I think success has a lot to do with it but do you consider that part of the "scheme" umbrella?

Are recruits saying I don't want to play under PK because "you are forced to take on blocks" or "they were terrible last year?" I see that as two seperate arguments and the latter is correctable if you win. 

As nunna yo buziness said above if you win...... top guys will come. That was definitely the case for PK at Washington with DL talent regardless of scheme. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

14 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Sure seems like aggy is likely to get Hill to shut it down this weekend. What’s our plan at that point at LB? I wasn’t real sure on Gullette’s position but both 247 and On3 have him listed as an edge (‘scuse me, EDGE). 

Not seeing a ton on our board. On3 says we have an offer out to Jayven Anderson out of North Shore, but that’s not a guy I’m very familiar with. Circle back with Dylan Rogers or hit the portal? We definitely need at least one more stand up off the ball LB in this class. 

As recently as this week Hill has been rumored to be leaning toward Texas. Unless I missed something significant, not sure where you’re getting this.

That said, aggy is due to shut an elite prospect down quicker than anyone expects.

Edited by Ghost of Shag

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Where are you getting this from?

Besides the fact he’s making a visit that has been scheduled for months.

SOURCE: Aggy confidence suspected to originate from the understanding of roughly how big of a bag the boosters & Jimbo are going to drop in front of the one exit that Hill would theoretically need to leave through to keep his recruitment open. 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Where are you getting this from? Besides the fact he’s making a visit that has been scheduled for months.

Just now, Ghost of Shag said:

As recently as this week Hill has been rumored to be leaning toward Texas. Unless I missed something significant, not sure where you’re getting this.

That’s just my reading of all the evidence we have. I could be 100% wrong and hope I am of course. CTJ said aggy is absolutely going to pull out all the stops. There was a ton of buzz around Hill among Texas $9.95ers and commits which seems to have really died down. Aggy $9.95ers also showing lots of confidence right now. Just adding everything up in my head.

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Isn't that what Texas is doing on offense?

"See what Sark did at Alabama with offensive players." Even recruits like Cook mentioned scheme from Alabama and that Texas needs more talent for it to work. If PK and the defensive staff are getting worked because of "resume reading" they need to do a better job because it's working on offense. 

The offense was better than the defense last year but it was still a major work in progress. They're selling a vision and using Sark's resume as an offensive coordinator to get the job done. PK has a great resume with DL talent (draft picks and recruiting) so if resume reading isn't working to justify scheme they aren't doing a good enough job selling it. 

Ricky, 

- which do you think would be the easier sell (and would be more well known) - Sark's accomplishments at Bama (the overall offense, the NC, Mac Jones, Devonta, the demolition of OSU in the NC game), or PK's at Washington?

- and once you put the hideousness of last year's defense on tape, it makes trying to get people to ignore that and going back to the Wash resume that much more difficult.  Giving up 57 or whatever it was to Kansas, at home, undermines the pitch a tad. (The offense's own struggles notwithstanding, their numbers were a lot better, and we now have two preseason all americans on the team.) 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

That’s just my reading of all the evidence we have. I could be 100% wrong and hope I am of course. CTJ said aggy is absolutely going to pull out all the stops. There was a ton of buzz around Hill among Texas $9.95ers and commits which seems to have really died down. Aggy $9.95ers also showing lots of confidence right now. Just adding everything up in my head.

Hill could certainly commit this weekend but that goes against the grain of how his entire recruitment has played out. As CTJ said the other day, A&M’s pressure tactics work with a certain group of recruits but when you are the elite of the elite like Hill he holds the leverage. 

Hill seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I haven’t gotten shady vibes from that recruitment with what has been reported. Maybe he eventually ends up at A&M but a spur of the moment commitment this weekend would be surprising.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Ricky, 

- which do you think would be the easier sell (and would be more well known) - Sark's accomplishments at Bama (the overall offense, the NC, Mac Jones, Devonta, the demolition of OSU in the NC game), or PK's at Washington?

- and once you put the hideousness of last year's defense on tape, it makes trying to get people to ignore that and going back to the Wash resume that much more difficult.  Giving up 57 or whatever it was to Kansas, at home, undermines the pitch a tad. (The offense's own struggles notwithstanding, their numbers were a lot better, and we now have two preseason all americans on the team.) 

I would think for a good sales person/recruiter it wouldn’t be that hard if you show them the tape of guys like Foster, Schooler and Brock and how it wasn’t scheme but it was that they just sucked and all we need is “fill in this years recruit” to come in and start over that level of player I would think it could be sold pretty easily.  It’s not like he had a bunch of NFL talent on that D (pretty much none) and I would argue guys like Schooler and Brock wouldn’t start at most top end D1 schools.  Hell, they may not start at most bottom D1 schools.  Not saying Pete K is the best out there but you put those 3 guys I mentioned on a lot of good defenses at others schools and I guarantee those defenses would get much, much worst immediately.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I agree with that. I think success has a lot to do with it but do you consider that part of the "scheme" umbrella?

Are recruits saying I don't want to play under PK because "you are forced to take on blocks" or "they were terrible last year?" I see that as two seperate arguments and the latter is correctable if you win. 

As nunna yo buziness said above if you win...... top guys will come. That was definitely the case for PK at Washington with DL talent regardless of scheme. 

Nothing is so black and white. I stated earlier that “certain” recruits did not want to play in his scheme. That’s doesn’t mean no players will come.

The challenge is the chicken and egg. To win you need players, and to get players you need to win. The DL and LB recruiting is still behind the offense. Combine that with a lack of enough impact transfers on defense (LB, edge, etc) and few other changes in the off-season and it’s lining up on PK to fix the defense mostly just by having a second year to run it. I hope that works. Meanwhile, Sark on offense re-tooled everything. 

could this simply be summed up as

the D was historically bad

the O was historically average(with some spikes of damn will you look at that)

Sark is the HC/OC, has won an NC, been an NFL OC, and is getting love from Saban

PK is only the DC and appears to have been decent in the Pac 12

22 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Ricky, 

Sark  has a lot more to sell on offense but Washington was producing a bunch of edge and DL draft picks. 

Tryon-Shoyinka (1st round), Onwuzurike (2nd round), Gaines (4th round), Veta (1st round), Qualls (6th round), Shelton (1st round), and a few more I'm likely missing. The "defense was shitty in year 1" is a viable negative recruiting strategy but it  shouldn't work with scheme based on PK's resume. 

"Go see all my NFL draft picks on the DL and edge" if you're questioning my scheme is a very easy counter. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, tokamak said:

maths GIF

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Well, it’s pretty fucking simple. That’s what recruits and their people are telling folks. That’s what other programs are using against us. See how that works? This isn’t Washington and the defense last year looked beyond inept. Resumé reading about what someone did at a Pac 12 school isn’t going to get it done. 

Didn’t you hear? The defense did well vs Mike Leach!!!!!

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Didn’t you hear? The defense did well vs Mike Leach!!!!!

The defense looked good enough for NFL teams to want PK's DL and edge players. 

Isn't that what recruits want based on scheme?  This isn't even about success in the Pac 12. If PK's scheme for DL was terrible they wouldn't be getting drafted at the rate they were. This should be a very easy sell to counteract negative recruiting about scheme. 

32 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I would think for a good sales person/recruiter it wouldn’t be that hard if you show them the tape of guys like Foster, Schooler and Brock and how it wasn’t scheme but it was that they just sucked and all we need is “fill in this years recruit” to come in and start over that level of player I would think it could be sold pretty easily.  It’s not like he had a bunch of NFL talent on that D (pretty much none) and I would argue guys like Schooler and Brock wouldn’t start at most top end D1 schools.  Hell, they may not start at most bottom D1 schools.  Not saying Pete K is the best out there but you put those 3 guys I mentioned on a lot of good defenses at others schools and I guarantee those defenses would get much, much worst immediately.  

Scheme is shit. Rugby tackling is shit. Pac 12 doesn’t play defense and is a shit conference. Don’t care. Hire next DC from sec country. 

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The defense looked good enough for NFL teams to want PK's DL and edge players. 

Isn't that what recruits want based on scheme?  This isn't even about success in the Pac 12. If PK's scheme for DL was terrible they wouldn't be getting drafted at the rate they were. This should be a very easy sell to counteract negative recruiting about scheme. 

Pk sucks. He will be fired this year. 

I’ve skipped the last 30 replies to this thread because I hate Twitter. No one speaks fucking English. I’m supposed to look at emoji’s and figure out what you’re implying. Just use your words. And I realize this isn’t cool with the 13 to 40-year olds, but gotdammit!  Communication is the foundation of interaction. And another thing. Proof your fucking posts. Are is not intended to have the same meaning as our. Read your shit before hitting submit. 

Where’s the Tylenol?

Edited by IBuryPaul
  • Hook 'Em 5

I’ve skipped the last 30 replies to this thread because I hate Twitter. No one speaks fucking English. I’m supposed to look at emoji’s and figure out what you’re implying. Just use your words. And I realize this isn’t cool with the 13 to 40-year olds, but gotdammit!  Communication is the foundation of interaction. And another thing. Proof your fucking posts. Are is not intended to have the same meaning as our. Read your shit before hitting submit. 
Where’s the Tylenol?

And get off my lawn!

42 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Pk sucks. He will be fired this year. 

Thats probably why the recruiting for Dline and LB isn't going so well.  People probably whispering in recruits ears he is getting canned this year and look they brought in Patterson to probably replace him mid season..Gonna be hard for PK to sale his scheme when everyone thinks for good reason that he is probably getting fired.

4 minutes ago, Azbadlands said:

Thats probably why the recruiting for Dline and LB isn't going so well.  People probably whispering in recruits ears he is getting canned this year and look they brought in Patterson to probably replace him mid season..Gonna be hard for PK to sale his scheme when everyone thinks for good reason that he is probably getting fired.

Have I missed something on LB recruiting? 

Burrell, Lefau, Gullette, and Hill would be a dream scenario. I get that's dependent on landing the last 2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, IBuryPaul said:

Where’s the Tylenol?

🦑 🐙 🦑 

• Haha 9

28 minutes ago, IBuryPaul said:

Where’s the Tylenol?

Aging Lethal Weapon GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, IBuryPaul said:

Where’s the Tylenol?

I'll explain it in terms you can understand.

Twitter is like a CB radio that the Germans use to send out messages to their military forces. But, since the enemy is listening to the communications, they had to come up with a way to send secure messages. So they developed the Enigma Machine. 

They encode the messages with secret symbols, that can only be read by somebody with a special decoder ring. 

But, a bunch of nerds figured out how to break the code. So now, people other than the intended recipient can read the message. 

Hitler is now proper fucked. 

1241100593_EtVtjgsXcAUu57L.jpg_large2.thumb.jpg.deb5110c44af613e02163d7acc76e057.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Have I missed something on LB recruiting? 

Burrell, Lefau, Gullette, and Hill would be a dream scenario. I get that's dependent on landing the last 2. 

Fair enough on the Linebackers, that would be a good haul...Just saying it seems like PK is in a tough situation with how crappy the D looked last year and then they went out and hired Patterson.  It seems like the same situation when Mack hired Robinson to have him on staff when Diaz was on the hot seat. Just another negative that can be used against him on the recruiting trail.

Edited by Azbadlands

If Hill goes to A&M this weekend and doesn’t commit I think he’s ours. I think they’re going to make him an offer he can’t refuse because they view him as the only way to salvage their class. If they trip on their dicks this weekend at their signature recruiting event without a big time commit they know they’re fucked. They’re going all in on Hill this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IBuryPaul said:

Where’s the Tylenol?

Maybe this place isn't for you dude

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IBuryPaul said:

Where’s the Tylenol?

If you’re out of the country, they likely won’t have the brand “Tylenol” and don’t waste your time looking for the generic “acetaminophen”.

Outside the USA 🇺🇸, the generic is called “PARACETAMOL”.

Good Luck! / Bonne Chance! / Suerte!

Where’s the Tylenol?

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

If you’re out of the country, they likely won’t have the brand “Tylenol” and don’t waste your time looking for the generic “acetaminophen”.

Outside the USA 🇺🇸, the generic is called “PARACETAMOL”.

Good Luck! / Bonne Chance! / Suerte!

Christmas vacation- Tylenol and flipout on Make a GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Scheme is shit. Rugby tackling is shit. Pac 12 doesn’t play defense and is a shit conference. Don’t care. Hire next DC from sec country. 

PK was far from the biggest issue last year. We had a walk-on, starting at one LB spot, another LB spun down from safety, undersized, playing LB. One safety who played with no effort, another just moved from WR, two mediocre at best corners and no pass rush............from the edge.....at all.........with the only position of depth being DT. How many DC's would have been successful in that position? We had Lack of Fucking Talent or as Fred Couples would say "LOFT disease".

Why did we get our shit pushed in, in the second half of games? Because we had no depth, see paragraph above. When the best players on defense were walk-ons, JAGs and guys that switched positions, the guys behind them are truly shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

PK was far from the biggest issue last year. We had a walk-on, starting at one LB spot, another LB spun down from safety, undersized, playing LB. One safety who played with no effort, another just moved from WR, two mediocre at best corners and no pass rush............from the edge.....at all.........with the only position of depth being DT. How many DC's would have been successful in that position? We had Lack of Fucking Talent or as Fred Couples would say "LOFT disease".

Why did we get our shit pushed in, in the second half of games? Because we had no depth, see paragraph above. When the best players on defense were walk-ons, JAGs and guys that switched positions, the guys behind them are truly shit.

The S&C program last year was partly to blame for the 4th quarter let downs as well.  They were trying to get the excess muscle from the turtle Tom era off the kids and increase speed and acceleration. Not enough endurance training. I've read that had been addressed this offseason. 🤞🏻

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1