Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

11 hours ago, Yuk said:

Texas was ranked #18 in Team Offense in 2021.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2021-team-offense.html

And this:

1) let's use better statistics - total offensive and defensive stats are shit. Texas was #35 in OFEI and was much higher for most of the season before falling off at the end. #25 in offensive points per drive. #44 in offensive points per play.

2) why the fuck are you bringing up the Kansas game?

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

1) let's use better statistics - total offensive and defensive stats are shit. Texas was #35 in OFEI and was much higher for most of the season before falling off at the end. #25 in offensive points per drive. #44 in offensive points per play.

2) why the fuck are you bringing up the Kansas game?

I don't know why you masochistic motherfuckers are bringing up any game. This is the recruiting board. If you are lost, perhaps ask @rage-a-holic's girlfriend for directions. The football board is <-- that way.

image.png.5bfe25f7331d63ac5133f9b9978cb4a9.png

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2023 list for the pool party. Collins is an interesting name. Louisiana kid with some good film.

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman – #AllGasNoBrakes 

Tre Wisner, RB, Desoto (Texas) - #AllGasNoBrakes

Johntay Cook, WR, Desoto (Texas) – #AllGasNoBrakes

Connor Stroh, IOL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland – #AllGasNoBrakes

Payton Kirkland, OT, Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips – #AllGasNoBrakes

Jaydon Chatman, OT, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights – #AllGasNoBrakes 

Andre Cojoe, OL, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview - #AllGasNoBrakes

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic – #AllGasNoBrakes

Markis Deal, DL, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest 

Jamarious Brown, DL, Moss Point (Miss.)

TaDerius Collins, DL, Shreveport (La.) Northwood

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Teague (Texas)

Billy Walton, EDGE, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff - #AllGasNoBrakes

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley - #AllGasNoBrakes 
The Metroplex defender showed up early to Austin on Wednesday. 

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff – #AllGasNoBrakes

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn
Team Matthews was set to arrive in Austin on Wednesday. They'll be back for an official in early September. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

2023 list for the pool party. Collins is an interesting name. Louisiana kid with some good film.

Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman – #AllGasNoBrakes 

Tre Wisner, RB, Desoto (Texas) - #AllGasNoBrakes

Johntay Cook, WR, Desoto (Texas) – #AllGasNoBrakes

Connor Stroh, IOL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland – #AllGasNoBrakes

Payton Kirkland, OT, Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips – #AllGasNoBrakes

Jaydon Chatman, OT, Killeen (Texas) Harker Heights – #AllGasNoBrakes 

Andre Cojoe, OL, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview - #AllGasNoBrakes

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic – #AllGasNoBrakes

Markis Deal, DL, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest 

Jamarious Brown, DL, Moss Point (Miss.)

TaDerius Collins, DL, Shreveport (La.) Northwood

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake

Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Teague (Texas)

Billy Walton, EDGE, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff - #AllGasNoBrakes

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley - #AllGasNoBrakes 
The Metroplex defender showed up early to Austin on Wednesday. 

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff – #AllGasNoBrakes

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn
Team Matthews was set to arrive in Austin on Wednesday. They'll be back for an official in early September. 

Collins On3:

image.thumb.png.eaa1568ac6cea345f16e78c089acd80d.png

Hudl: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/14249686/616d80df5798420a54d147b9

Article on Collins: Why Ta’Derius Collins went from no FBS football offers to 21, including Baylor and Texas

Answer: he didn't camp and he had great video

“His elite athleticism coupled with his physicalness. If you watch his video tape, you see it,” Northwood coach Austin Brown said. “We played him from a nose guard position that 300-pound dudes play to outside linebacker, where 180-pound dudes play, and he’s the best. It transfers to his film and colleges finally noticed. I’ve been sending his name out since he stepped on campus.”

Spoiler

Why Ta’Derius Collins went from no FBS football offers to 21, including Baylor and Texas
https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/07/21/northwood-taderius-collins-football-recruiting-baylor-texas/10074210002/

635914783359379843-Jimmy-Watson.jpg?widt Jimmy Watson
Shreveport Time

This time last summer, Northwood’s Ta’Derius Collins wasn’t receiving much attention on the recruiting trail.

He didn’t have a profile on recruiting sites like 247sports.com, mainly because he hadn’t attended camps at any of the Power 5 programs. He had a couple of FCS offers and big hopes, but not much else to brag about.

Fast forward a year, however, and there’s an avalanche of teams seeking the big man’s attention. At 6-foot-4 and 245 pounds as a three-star defensive end with plenty of speed, Collins has a big decision ahead. He has 21 offers from schools like Texas, Baylor, TCU, Arkansas and Mississippi State.

Collins is the No. 20 prospect in the state according to the 247Sports Composite and No. 42 edge rusher in the country.

LAST SUMMER: Ta'Derius Collins had little interest last summer

TOP D-LINEMEN: Shreveport area's top defensive linemen

So, what’s changed?

“His elite athleticism coupled with his physicalness. If you watch his video tape, you see it,” Northwood coach Austin Brown said. “We played him from a nose guard position that 300-pound dudes play to outside linebacker, where 180-pound dudes play, and he’s the best. It transfers to his film and colleges finally noticed. I’ve been sending his name out since he stepped on campus.”

Northwood's Ta'Derius Collins

Collins is enjoying the attention. He’s already taken visits to Indiana and Baylor, but hasn’t narrowed his choices. 

“Everything is going good,” he said. “I’ll probably want to make a commitment during the season, or maybe even before. I want to drop a top four or five by next month.”

Some folks were surprised by the Indiana visit based on the other offers he has.

“We just made it happen,” he said. 

Collins was a modest 6-foot, 180 pounds when he showed up at Northwood three years ago.

“Ta’Derius has grown from being a wide receiver to one of the best physical athletes in the area,” Brown said. “The sky is the limit for him.”

here is his 247 timeline:

image.png.cf95b8e078142dad8dde82580a5a0ba5.png

recent twitter follows:

image.thumb.png.f8798ad7ff57c4d953b2f8276b6b1c93.png

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Jamarious plays the "go win the game" position and I want him to play for us.  This isnt your usual DT.  Skip to 1:10.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/12865385/6192a468ab9d73007c12a195

Yeah, I don't think Gerry is really on an island with his top 100 perspective.  

2 of the services have him ranked near there. For whatever reason, 247 has him ranked really low. 

(Bobby Burton) Thursday: News and notes

Some Longhorn thoughts along with items I’ve picked up elsewhere in talking with folks around college football…

- The PAC-12 reportedly received a lowball offer from ESPN, reducing a team’s financial package by $12mm per year from its previous number. At the same time, Big 10 commissioner Kevin Warren said the Big 10 was not finished with expansion. Stanford, Cal, Washington and Oregon are all possibilities, as well as Miami and Florida State, along with Notre Dame.

Noticeably absent are the “four corners” schools of Colorado, Utah, Arizona and Arizona State. We all know the Big 12 is trying to jump on the four corners schools while also hoping they can grab other PAC-12 schools, too, those not named Oregon State and Washington State. Yet the mere announcement by the Big 10 puts a kibosh on the Big 12’s thought of going beyond the four corners schools because the others will undoubtedly wait on the Big 10.

So what is the Big 12 looking at from a rights deal if they add those four schools? According to two industry people I spoke with yesterday, the numbers would not increase by much at all for Big 12 teams. What would change is that it would relatively assure the long-term survival of the conference. The Big 12 still would not be on par with the SEC and Big 10, nowhere near it in fact, but they would be closer to the ACC at least.

- I continue to hear positive remarks on Brenen Thompson behind the scenes. I’m not there yet on saying he’s getting the same reviews as Xavier Worthy a year ago. But I know part of that is the receiver room itself, and the expectations of it, have changed so drastically in just one year. Worthy himself probably wouldn’t stand out as much a year ago given guys like Isaiah Neyor and Agiye Hall being added to the mix from a sheer talent perspective. Keep an eye on Thompson as practice begins next week. For what it’s worth, one 7on7 onlooker described the way Hall gets downfield as “he runs like a deer”. Those are words you like to hear about a major downfield threat.

- As a reminder, The Pancake Factory is set to begin on August 1. There are some other things I know are in the works that I will share with IT members soon.

- These are a crucial next few days in recruiting. Not only is Texas hosting key recruits this week, but so too are A&M and Oklahoma. Texas has been on an absurd roll the last two months. The Sooners have been on a good one, too. The Aggies, meanwhile, have been stuck in the mud, but don’t expect that to last forever.

- I’m hearing the three annual rivals for Texas in the SEC would be Arkansas, A&M and OU. That should surprise no one. Interestingly, I am told that some folks in the SEC office want to see Texas-LSU over Texas-Arkansas. Apparently, that matchup whets the appetite of the TV folks much more.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, irishtexan said:

If Hill goes to A&M this weekend and doesn’t commit I think he’s ours. I think they’re going to make him an offer he can’t refuse because they view him as the only way to salvage their class. If they trip on their dicks this weekend at their signature recruiting event without a big time commit they know they’re fucked. They’re going all in on Hill this weekend.

Not sure if it was CTJ or someone else that had said that Texas will not lose recruits to money and that this tactic doesn’t work with elite recruits.  Whatever they throw at him, Texas will match or get close to I’m sure.  I’m guessing the coaches have probably already relayed that to Hill.  Hill is also very close to the DFW recruits and when you get a consensus building amongst recruits, it tends to create huge momentum, basically what aggy did last year.  This year, we’ve got some of the most vocal guys in Cook and Muhammad to go along with Arch who everyone seems to want to play with.

TV folks are usually short sighted. Arkansas-Texas will provide excellent ratings with a slight bump with LSU as a replacement. If you have LSU and Texas once every 2 or 3 years, you create an event with a huge ratings bump. Same way it will be with Bama or Georgia. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Hill is also very close to the DFW recruits and when you get a consensus building amongst recruits, it tends to create huge momentum, basically what aggy did last year.  This year, we’ve got some of the most vocal guys in Cook and Muhammad to go along with Arch who everyone seems to want to play with.

Oh yeah? Well wait till you see what THIS guy has to say about that! 

img_8055-2.jpg

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That begs the question (I think), does Gerry evaluate well and at what positions?  

I actually think this is a really good question if you made it generic about the $9.95ers and then one of the quants or accountants or engineers in our little galaxy here tracked and analyzed it. Otherwise, we're just going to wind up being anecdotal and then it comes down to playing favorites. 

That said, I'll give my own take on the specific question. I do not think anybody works harder in the space than Gerry, and he's been working that hard for almost 25 years. He travels all of the time, runs camps, talks to a vast network, and watches a ton of film. Washing machines also work hard, so one could argue "who cares?" but then you throw in that he's been paid well the entire time to do the work and that others in the space come to him for feedback and thoughts and I think you can safely assume that he's either the best at what he does, or it doesn't take long to call roll at the top. 

Key things about Gerry that crack me up are a) there is no such thing as a true tackle prospect and b) all corner back prospects are probably going to wind up as nickels or safeties. 

In general with anyone doing to their rankings and evaluations, I think the hardest positions for them to rank are OLs and the easiest are QB. I haven't fact-checked it lately, but at one point not long ago, the positions with the lowest star ranking average versus draft picks were C, OG, OT, and DT/Nose in that order. Conversely, QB, CB, and Edge/DE rankings were the more closely tied to draft picks. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Oh goddammit just let us have our three rivalries back, the TV money is already obscene.

Our schedule is going to get nasty regardless. Our options for the third team in the west are Sam Pittman, Nick Saban, Brian Kelly, Lane Kiffen, and the Pirate. None of those are easy outs. 

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Not sure if it was CTJ or someone else that had said that Texas will not lose recruits to money and that this tactic doesn’t work with elite recruits.  Whatever they throw at him, Texas will match or get close to I’m sure.  I’m guessing the coaches have probably already relayed that to Hill.  Hill is also very close to the DFW recruits and when you get a consensus building amongst recruits, it tends to create huge momentum, basically what aggy did last year.  This year, we’ve got some of the most vocal guys in Cook and Muhammad to go along with Arch who everyone seems to want to play with.

You're correct mostly, but my caveat lately, because of how things have unfolded and what numerous folks around the sport are saying, is that Hill is at risk for a different reason than a "take it or leave it". ATM has started to convince itself and its helpers that Hill represents the final piece to a '23/'24 playoff run. They can't do what they did last year and they are way beyond on NIL.

However, if they flop something unbelievable and stupid out under the table for one player, there is undoubtedly a number in which said number or higher means everyone else is out. I don't know if they have the juice to hit that number. I don't think that's the main driver of Hill's outlook. Nonetheless, as the song says, Money Changes Everything and we'd all be fools to underestimate the outlandish nouveau riche stupidity of Fisher and the aggies.

• Hook 'Em 4

Not that I’d pay for the info, but what I’d expect from that lot would be info on who my team is recruiting and why is going on with those recruitments. Relationship builders, info gatherers. Player evaluation by the same people is not substantive. If there are former coaches or others that should have some bona fides as football talent evaluators that add their input, ok cool. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I actually think this is a really good question if you made it generic about the $9.95ers and then one of the quants or accountants or engineers in our little galaxy here tracked and analyzed it. Otherwise, we're just going to wind up being anecdotal and then it comes down to playing favorites. 

That said, I'll give my own take on the specific question. I do not think anybody works harder in the space than Gerry, and he's been working that hard for almost 25 years. He travels all of the time, runs camps, talks to a vast network, and watches a ton of film. Washing machines also work hard, so one could argue "who cares?" but then you throw in that he's been paid well the entire time to do the work and that others in the space come to him for feedback and thoughts and I think you can safely assume that he's either the best at what he does, or it doesn't take long to call roll at the top. 

Key things about Gerry that crack me up are a) there is no such thing as a true tackle prospect and b) all corner back prospects are probably going to wind up as nickels or safeties. 

In general with anyone doing to their rankings and evaluations, I think the hardest positions for them to rank are OLs and the easiest are QB. I haven't fact-checked it lately, but at one point not long ago, the positions with the lowest star ranking average versus draft picks were C, OG, OT, and DT/Nose in that order. Conversely, QB, CB, and Edge/DE rankings were the more closely tied to draft picks. 

Gerry said recently he puts 60k miles or so on his car per year. He's up at 4am writing articles, going to bed at midnight still answering questions, doing videos from the road, talking to his sources all day, etc. The dude lives and breathes this stuff, but I'll add that his evals are way too weighted in a couple areas (arm length, hand size) because it's an easy cop out taking an absolute measurement that you know won't worsen between now and the NFL combine. I get why he weights those two measurements so heavily, but any old dummy can look at those two things and call it an evaluation. Overall I think he's a better evaluator than the majority of 9.95ers, just wanted to add my nitpick. 

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Viper said:

No, it raises the question. 

Thanks for your effort to preserve the language. It will be another losing struggle, but I admire the effort.

In sports media, we're dealing with people who say a team is "playing in the shadow of their endzone." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My only complaint about Gerry is when he wears his hat on backwards.  It screams 

30 Rock Fellow Kids GIF by PeacockTV

11 minutes ago, Chef Bezos said:

Gerry said recently he puts 60k miles or so on his car per year. He's up at 4am writing articles, going to bed at midnight still answering questions, doing videos from the road, talking to his sources all day, etc. The dude lives and breathes this stuff, but I'll add that his evals are way too weighted in a couple areas (arm length, hand size) because it's an easy cop out taking an absolute measurement that you know won't worsen between now and the NFL combine. I get why he weights those two measurements so heavily, but any old dummy can look at those two things and call it an evaluation. Overall I think he's a better evaluator than the majority of 9.95ers, just wanted to add my nitpick. 

Man with that schedule it must be hard to find time to masterbate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Jamarious plays the "go win the game" position and I want him to play for us.  This isnt your usual DT.  Skip to 1:10.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/12865385/6192a468ab9d73007c12a195

He may be the baddest punter on earth. I assume he also drives the team bus and plays in the band at half-time.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I 100% agree with the hardest to rank are OLs. My general rule was I trusted myself more with my own evaluations the further away a player plays from where the ball starts (so like you said C, OG, OT, DT, etc.). WR and DBs always seem much easier evaluations to me when I had to do them. Especially given it is relatively easier to plug in a HS WR/DB into the college level (or they are relatively less work to develop)

I can see why you may say QBs are easiest to evaluate, but I would also argue that given all the mental aspects, the small footwork details, technical aspects of the throw, and mental aspects again, it can be a very hit or miss on evaluations. Also there are multitude of different schools on how to teach and perform at the QB position. However, there is a loooooot of tape on QBs and a lot of people who know all that stuff very well.

NFHS is a great resource.

I think another thing that can help with evaluations is actually who you know in the business. If you are able to see private work outs and actually shoot the shit with a coach that knows the position better than you, it helps you understand what to look for and how to evaluate talent.

All this to say, I agree with caveats. Good points made.

Edited by OnAComputer
  • Hook 'Em 7

12 hours ago, IBuryPaul said:

I’ve skipped the last 30 replies to this thread because I hate Twitter. No one speaks fucking English. I’m supposed to look at emoji’s and figure out what you’re implying. Just use your words. And I realize this isn’t cool with the 13 to 40-year olds, but gotdammit!  Communication is the foundation of interaction. And another thing. Proof your fucking posts. Are is not intended to have the same meaning as our. Read your shit before hitting submit. 

Where’s the Tylenol?

Why would you anyone come to a sports chat room to proof read their posts? 

• Haha 2