Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Rivalries and history are kind of a big deal in college football. Otherwise you get the NFL with worse players.

Yes, plus, I'd take road game trip to Fayetteville over Baton Rouge every time.  Our last trip there was great, right up until the mudholing commenced...game f'ing sucked.

43 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

LSU - Texas every year actually helps with recruiting. The Arky rivalry helps the pigs recruit Texas better and does nothing for Texas other than providing nostalgia.

OU LSU aggy would be too tough of a trio. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I think the one thing he does better than anyone, and it's fundamental to evaluating recruits and has nothing to do with their physical characteristics is that he digs in on who they are and what their support system looks like. The dude knew that Leg. Carson was a high risk guy and why. He knew the TE that was committed to Texas first, then Bama, was having similar off field issues and would be a bust. He said Zach Evans was a flake at the same time he said he was top 5 talent in any class. Etc. He knows about the parents, the friends, what the hs coaches really think, etc. I think that stuff gets missed by a lot of folks, including staffs. 

I'm interested to see how ATM's highly ranked receivers from the 2022 class produce for them over the next few years for reasons Gerry originally touched on before anyone else with both of them. One is a total headcase prima donna who expects at least 50 touches this season. The other had stuff going on that had multiple programs backing off early. Maybe that dude's situation gets better away from home, but I don't know if College Station is known for that lately. All of the rankings teams just flatly ignored the issues for both players. 

I often wonder whether the roughly 50% hit rate on four stars could be improved substantially by having more/better information of the type Gerry chases. I would think it could have a huge impact and don’t understand why schools don’t utilize private investigators to gather them information. Probably because of the bad publicity if they got caught. 

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

I'm amazed at how often HS and College age kids are in a hoodie in 100+ degree weather. We were selling them at Boys State this year, and they would immediately put the hoodie on to walk around campus all day.  (and yes I'm old)

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm amazed at how often HS and College age kids are in a hoodie in 100+ degree weather. We were selling them at Boys State this year, and they would immediately put the hoodie on to walk around campus all day.  (and yes I'm old)

Kids are just weird period, they wear hoodies when it’s hot and T-shirts and shorts when it’s cold .

Just now, UDontKnow said:

On one of Bobby's On Texas Football videos, Gerry said that he is 6'5". Payton looks maybe 6'7"-6'8" in this photo (yes, I know Gerry is standing slightly ahead of Kirkland in this photo).

Also, so much for Kirkland being mad at Gerry for spilling the beans on his recruit. Fuck Taylor Estes and FCB.

Gerry Hamilton is 6'5?!

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Do want.  Get him Bo.

I can't figure out where Brown projects. He is athletic as hell but he is also 265. Is he a Jack? Is he a 3 technique? Is he Andy Reid doing Punt Pass Kick? These are vital data points. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Rivalries and history are kind of a big deal in college football. Otherwise you get the NFL with worse players.

I hear you, but taking LSU as one of the three fucks over Aggy, OU, and Arky. I'm pretty sure LSU’s main three if this were to happen would be UT, Florida, and Bama. That's effectively shutting out 3 rivals from fertile recruiting grounds. We’d be the only team in the region that plays LSU every season. Huge recruiting win imo. As a pure business decision, it's a no-brainer.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I can't figure out where Brown projects. He is athletic as hell but he is also 260. Is he a Jack? Is he a 3 technique? Is he Andy Reid doing Punt Pass Kick? These are vital data points. 

Gerry said he’ll probably eventually play 3 tech. He also said he’s 6’3 270 but moves like 6’1 230