Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well so much for taking his recruitment into the season

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Edge recruiting is not looking hot at all.

Brown is undersized for Edge based on the IT Humidor report that dropped this afternoon. So he probably wasn't gonna be a priority for the coaching staff if the humidor report is true.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Brown is undersized for Edge based on the IT Humidor report that dropped this afternoon. So he probably wasn't gonna be a priority for the coaching staff if the humidor report is true.

They didn’t say anything about his weight. Just that he is closer to 6’1 and not 6’3. You are mixing up him and Collins.

Brown was still an interior DL all the way.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Apparently Ole Miss wanted Aaron Bryant pretty bad last cycle and we stole him from under their nose. Guess they weren’t gonna let that happen again with another DT.

Didn't we get a report that he measured 6'1" on the visit? If so, that changes things a bit. He's going to need to play DT at that height. Does he still only weigh 270? Arm length?

I would imagine he made the visit with the full intentions of making this commitment to Ole Miss afterward, or he showed up and measured 6'1", which made Texas hesitant and he then committed to Ole Miss. We will probably never know the real story and I'm not too concerned with losing him. He may turnout to be a great player though. At his height, it's going to come down to how much weight he can put on to play DT.

4 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Didn't we get a report that he measured 6'1" on the visit? If so, that changes things a bit. He's going to need to play DT at that height. Does he still only weigh 270? Arm length?

I would imagine he made the visit with the full intentions of making this commitment to Ole Miss afterward, or he showed up and measured 6'1", which made Texas hesitant and he then committed to Ole Miss. We will probably never know the real story and I'm not too concerned with losing him. He may turnout to be a great player though. At his height, it's going to come down to how much weight he can put on to play DT.

No idea one weight or arm length. All that was said was that he was closer to 6’1 than 6’3. The dude is an athletic freak if you look at his hudl and unless he showed up 30 pounds under his listed weight of 270, I don’t think it really matters. The film doesn’t lie on a guy like that.

Guy is a good player who is staying in state. We have a good DL floor between what we signed in 2022 and have committed this cycle. Probably just need to find 1 more.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They didn’t say anything about his weight. Just that he is closer to 6’1 and not 6’3. You are mixing up him and Collins.

Brown was still an interior DL all the way.

The 2nd poster I was quoting was talking about Brown at the edge position, so my comments were about Edge not DT.

Edited by TheMailBox357

This 3Star IOL committed to Miami yesterday. He's a former Florida commit, that they say will play OT.

Interesting that they signed him after the Payton Kirkland commitment to Texas. Rumor was that Miami was full on the OL, but then here they are, taking another one. 

https://247sports.com/player/tommy-kinsler-46115392/

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Or he’s a strong as fuck ox and the height is irrelevant. 

Height for a DT, eh?

Poona Ford GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 6

Parker Thune (OU 247):

— I was told Miguel Chavis was still deep in conversation on the field with Colton Vasek at 11:00pm, long after many of the folks involved with the event had retired for the evening. As I mentioned in a previous thread, this is suddenly shaping up to be a rather unexpected OU-Texas battle, some two months after it seemed Vasek was bound for either Oregon or Clemson. To this point in his career at OU, Chavis has hardly missed as a recruiter; Vasek is essentially his heat check. I’m cautiously optimistic here.

16 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Parker Thune (OU 247):

— I was told Miguel Chavis was still deep in conversation on the field with Colton Vasek at 11:00pm, long after many of the folks involved with the event had retired for the evening. As I mentioned in a previous thread, this is suddenly shaping up to be a rather unexpected OU-Texas battle, some two months after it seemed Vasek was bound for either Oregon or Clemson. To this point in his career at OU, Chavis has hardly missed as a recruiter; Vasek is essentially his heat check. I’m cautiously optimistic here.

SMDH

Edited by jeevsie

13 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Height for a DT, eh?

Poona Ford GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

I loved Poona. He had freaky long arms for his size and played running back. He also put on the weight. And he was still somewhat of a gamble, but it paid off.

You usually need arm length to make up for lack of size at that position. I have no idea if Brown has that or not. Maybe the info is out there somewhere. 

I wasn't evaluating Brown's talent. I haven't even watched this kid's film. It seems he either had it planned out to commit to Ole Miss right after the visit or Texas went another way.

We aren't getting near as much profile info, it seems, since Covid. I've semi checked out because it's just that much harder to make a judgement on talent with more incomplete data. And even before Covid, there's only so much info available and it's usually incomplete on half these kids. I've noticed most of the time Alabama, Georgia, tOSU, etc., won't recruit many kids unless they have all the measurements and track and field times to go along with the film, etc. When you start making assumptions in evaluation without having the hard data, that's when it can go off the rails.

The pool party seems like it was haphazardly thrown together. Mid-week with one top target, a mid-level target, and several evaluations and most of our commits. If it was planned as an event to help finish out the class, I would have expected us to pre-evaluate guys like Collins and Brown. Coming in we thought we were looking at two edge guys and during the visit we say they are interior guys. And Collins is listed at 6'4" 240 on 247 so to say he was smaller than expected is kind of dumb. Overall, to me it seems like we planned an event just because, little effort was put into it by the main staff who were on vacation during the dead period and the underlings who arranged it were given no direction. 

We need to get the DB committed. That is really the only priority guy at the event. And who the hell knows what we are doing at DE. Umeozulu was reportedly too small. We've turned down a lot of guys to get Walton who is much smaller. We may have lost Shelby. Akana, we have no clue about. Wilson is probably a long shot. Gullette is obviously our top target but is injured and is about the same size as Walton. It all just has me scratching my head. I feel like we are partying on a big game safari looking for targets on a Texas deer lease. No big game here but fuck it we're drunk so lets shoot up some whitetail - if I could just get those 2 blurry targets in my sights to merge into one.

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 10

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

The pool party seems like it was haphazardly thrown together. Mid-week with one top target, a mid-level target, and several evaluations and most of our commits. If it was planned as an event to help finish out the class, I would have expected us to pre-evaluate guys like Collins and Brown. Coming in we thought we were looking at two edge guys and during the visit we say they are interior guys. And Collins is listed at 6'4" 240 on 247 so to say he was smaller than expected is kind of dumb. Overall, to me it seems like we planned an event just because, little effort was put into it by the main staff who were on vacation during the dead period and the underlings who arranged it were given no direction. 

We need to get the DB committed. That is really the only priority guy at the event. And who the hell knows what we are doing at DE. Umeozulu was reportedly too small. We've turned down a lot of guys to get Walton who is much smaller. We may have lost Shelby. Akana, we have no clue about. Wilson is probably a long shot. Gullette is obviously our top target but is injured and is about the same size as Walton. It all just has me scratching my head. I feel like we are partying on a big game safari looking for targets on a Texas deer lease. No big game here but fuck it we're drunk so lets shoot up some whitetail - if I could just get those 2 blurry targets in my sights to merge into one.

Holy shit the aggy pool party is their biggest event of the recruiting year. Ours is just a midweek thing to make sure the commits are solid and see some other guys. Different vibes and pressure to come.

• Hook 'Em 9

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Gotdam, I spend a day off my phone and the vaginitis runs rampant. Pull yourselves together people.

This is the lifecycle of this thread

Concern—>Dread->hint of optimism->measured enthusiasm->jubilation(commitment days)->measured optimism->slight worry->dread/suicide watch/kill the world 

and on it goes. Same as it ever was. 

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah I'm in Richmond, VA. Surprisingly fun town.

The brisket here outdid some hyped spots in Texas: https://www.zzqrva.com/

Brisket is catching up in other places. Belle island is pretty cool to walk around, especially the footbridge under the freeway to get there, yada, yada lots of breweries. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Holy shit the aggy pool party is their biggest event of the recruiting year. Ours is just a midweek thing to make sure the commits are solid and see some other guys. Different vibes and pressure to come.

It definitely came across that way. Just kind of a haphazard thing put together while our staff recharges. What's our big event with top remaining targets, the Alabama game? That's a plan. Let me put it another way. Going into the break we had a top 3 recruiting class with tons of momentum. We worked our asses off to get to that point. We had a chance to close out the class with Matthews, Gullette, Hill, and Hale and then go big game hunting for the low probability guys. Instead, we basically went on vacation. We may still sign those guys and regain the momentum with one or two longshots, but we made it harder on ourselves than it needed to be. YMMV

• Fuck You 13

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It definitely came across that way. Just kind of a haphazard thing put together while our staff recharges. What's our big event with top remaining targets, the Alabama game? That's a plan. Let me put it another way. Going into the break we had a top 3 recruiting class with tons of momentum. We worked our asses off to get to that point. We had a chance to close out the class with Matthews, Gullette, Hill, and Hale and then go big game hunting for the low probability guys. Instead, we basically went on vacation. We may still sign those guys and regain the momentum with one or two longshots, but we made it harder on ourselves than it needed to be. YMMV

Your idea of signing top recruits is truly genius. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

worried its always sunny in philadelphia GIF by HULU

Relax.  This was a small event and we're in a good spot.  Solidifying new and older commits and building class cohesion is always a good thing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Bevo said:

image.gif.97ba36d1669664fb03b125c37aafaa4a.gif

5 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

If the coaches have such a great plan, how come they haven’t communicated it to @Bevo ??? Answer that, smart guy.

He wishes that the class only had 12 commits like last year so we could see uncommitted next to Cook, Chatman, Burrell, Kirkland, Wisner, Arch and Spencer.

Would make the pool party list look better!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Holy shit some of these takes are hilarious. We have like 8-9 realistic targets on the board right now and several of them already have decision dates set (Baxter, Hale), recently took visits to Texas (Hill, Gullette) or have recruitments that are stretching out til January (Hicks). It’s a damn miracle Texas is still even in the Hill recruitment considering where they stood 3 or 4 months ago. It’s possible to recruit during the dates outside of a pool party for those unaware.

We had fucking Markis Deal, Vasek and Matthews on campus, all of whom we would take a commitment from tomorrow in addition to a pretty good contingency plan in Collins, which we know people in this thread love to bitch about how Texas “never has contingency plans”.

I don’t think Texas needs to apologize for having the majority of their class already wrapped up, but it sounds like some of you would have preferred a few of the current guys COMMITTED still be uncommitted just so the visit list looked cooler. Sorry the staff put in the work the last two months to where they didn’t have to put all their eggs in a 1 day unofficial visit basket.

And edge recruiting, guess what? That is one of the best positions to evaluate senior film on. Dudes like Ethan Burke who discover football late or guys who grow 3 inches and add 30 pounds heading into their season senior are pretty damn common. It’s 5 months til signing day and when you only have 1 glaring need left on the board with that amount of time, you get to devote extra resources.

Thinking our staff just decided last minute to throw a party and send out a couple of save the dates last week is one of the most hilarious narratives I’ve ever seen. I assume I’ll see most of those people in the A&M thread this weekend wishing they were Aggie fans.

I appreciate the pick me up, and the sky is definitely not falling. However, it sounds like Gullette is surrounded by some family members that may be susceptible to Aggie methods of persuasion, and the “car won’t start” excuse for not attending is going to be a big red flag for him if he manages to make it to BCS this weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I appreciate the pick me up, and the sky is definitely not falling. However, it sounds like Gullette is surrounded by some family members that may be susceptible to Aggie methods of persuasion, and the “car won’t start” excuse for not attending is going to be a big red flag for him if he manages to make it to BCS this weekend. 

Would it suck to not get Gullette or Hill or Vasek? Of course. But we were the aggressor the last few months. We were the team putting other teams on their heels and moving guys off timelines. A&M wasn’t just going to roll over and let us have everyone. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Guillette has a family member who wants him to go through the process and not jump before he has done his diligence. Not the worst advice to be giving a kid in his position. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Guillette has a family member who wants him to go through the process and not jump before he has done his diligence. Not the worst advice to be giving a kid in his position. 

If that’s all it is, then it’s a sensible approach. Again, if the car that wouldn’t start Thursday gets running again today, I’m going to see that as a warning sign. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would it suck to not get Gullette or Hill or Vasek? Of course. But we were the aggressor the last few months. We were the team putting other teams on their heels and moving guys off timelines. A&M wasn’t just going to roll over and let us have everyone. 

6 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I have pretty high confidence in gullette picking Texas.  I'm thinking slight edge right now on hill... 55/45.

Vasek is a wild card. Been hearing Oregon for months but now I've just heard it could come down to Texas/ou.  

And yes, having sound advice from family is never a bad thing. 

9 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

If that’s all it is, then it’s a sensible approach. Again, if the car that wouldn’t start Thursday gets running again today, I’m going to see that as a warning sign. 

Or a mechanic looked at it over a two day period. 

• Like 3

If we are doing vacation posts, sitting on the white sand beaches at Miramar Beach FL laughing at the usual sky is falling posts but waiting for the tide to turn to we getting errybody. Lots of Texas license plates here and they have Whataburger everywhere. Listened to the podcast last night with Rojo and RGB3 loves him some food talk ha.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

The pool party seems like it was haphazardly thrown together.

Dude. Our “pool party” has never been a priority recruiting event, and it wasn’t supposed to be this time either. A&M treats their pool party as one of their biggest events of the year, if not THE biggest (which is why it’s so funny that they accidentally did it when nobody could OV). Don’t get your panties in a twist over an event that went exactly how it was always intended to go.