Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Need to look at that Jayven Anderson kid from North Shore to pair with Lefau and Burrell.

Yep.  Burrell and Lefau look like some of the better LB recruits we've brought in in a while, but we need more than those two after the whiff last year of only landing a guy that currently weighs 185 lbs.  Wouldn't mind circling back to Johnathan Hall either.  Will probably be portal shopping again for LB as well.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yep.  Burrell and Lefau look like some of the better LB recruits we've brought in in a while, but we need more than those two after the whiff last year of only landing a guy that currently weighs 185 lbs.  Wouldn't mind circling back to Johnathan Hall either.  Will probably be portal shopping again for LB as well.

On3 had been talking about Hill as more of a edge/hybrid type LB. Burrell and Lefau are more true inside guys. Anderson and Hall are both obvious spin down candidates. Pair one or both of those with the two we have committed and it’s a nice haul.

Hill recruitment stings more from perception standpoint than anything.

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

17 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Kind of amazing how quickly he committed to them after all that. Not even 1pm yet on the day of their event.

It’s really not. They offered him a shitload of money. Let’s not act like there was anything more to it. All the confidence out of nowhere from aggy sources and Fong days before was a giveaway. Same thing happened last cycle, except aggy can’t throw crazy money around as much this year so they had to be more selective and picked Hill. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

I’m optimistic that Hill’s recruitment is still ongoing.  Not ideal but also not the end of the world.

We do likely need to show a better on the field product that A&M this fall, however.  

Im not, history has shown that when the ags pull this they usually stick

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

We are going to have to get a JUCO or a portal LB after the season anyways. Maybe two.  Overshown and DTD will be gone, and we can't roll into the spring with just Ford, Gbenda and (Richardson)???  Preferably one that will arrive in January and not next summer.

Holy shit, just looked it up.  The previous two years our LB takes have been Terrance Cooks (hit the portal), Blackwell (now at Safety) and Johnson (who currently weighs like 185 lbs.)  

As I posted a little earlier, Burrell and Liona are great takes, but we don't need to be depending on them year one.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1

He's a high school kid who is going to have a very hard time saying no to life changing money.  It's not any coaches fault.  We all knew aggie wasnt going to sit this year out despite what they spent last year.  Hill was the obvious momentum changer and they can also try to sell the we are just a lb commit away nonsense.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We are going to have to get a JUCO or a portal LB after the season anyways. Maybe two.  Overshown and DTD will be gone, and we can't roll into the spring with just Ford, Gbenda and (Richardson)???  Preferably one that will arrive in January and not next summer.

Holy shit, just looked it up.  The previous two years our LB takes have been Terrance Cooks (hit the portal), Blackwell (now at Safety) and Johnson (who currently weighs like 185 lbs.)  

As I posted a little earlier, Burrell and Liona are great takes, but we don't need to be depending on them year one.

Maybe I'm wrong (and that might be reason enough to not post it), but I think for now Derrick Brown is playing off-ball LB. That said he's also a bit undersized rn.

7 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Aggy just signed 6 5 star d lineman last class. I know we like to dump on them but that’s a really hard pitch to beat for an elite LB. However, the case is the same as it’s always been, if Texas wins on the field, we get who we want. At some point we have to just win

Oh how about our linemen are just space eaters so the linebackers can clean up.

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Im not, history has shown that when the ags pull this they usually stick

I think the circumstances are a little different than last year; most of the recruitments where the mercenary aspect seemed the most obvious were later in the season (or right before signing day).  

There’s a lot of time left for Texas or someone else make their case; that said, I don’t know anything about the kid, and (playing devil’s advocate) the commitment does call into question whether he’s a good fit for us anyway (off the field, obviously it’s a very different culture).  

Writing's been on the wall for a couple weeks, but it still sucks. Hope we've got a good plan B at LB, Hill was a guy we really, really could've used.

Wouldn't really shock me to see them land Nelson, either. Not today, but in the near future. No chance they were going to fuck around and accept a top 25 class after last year's class.

49 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

On3 had been talking about Hill as more of a edge/hybrid type LB. Burrell and Lefau are more true inside guys. Anderson and Hall are both obvious spin down candidates. Pair one or both of those with the two we have committed and it’s a nice haul.

Hill recruitment stings more from perception standpoint than anything.

Edge/hybrid is a need for us too, especially with Shelby headed to USC and Vasek Oregon-bound. It's a significant loss no matter how you spin it.

Wiltfong knew in that video he did earlier in the week.  Said he still felt great about his aggy pick and that the recruitment was nearing an end.  He already had the quotes from the dad and article written.  

Not sure what to think of his "aggy may have a slight lead for Gullette" comment.  Let's see if he shows today, which I don't think anybody has seen yet if he did??

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Edge/hybrid is a need for us too, especially with Shelby headed to USC and Vasek Oregon-bound. It's a significant loss no matter how you spin it.

https://247sports.com/player/derion-gullette-46117021/

He's a potential solution for Edge/OLB. But his recruitment appears to be getting funny in the last few days.

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Of course. But he is not instant plug and play as a three down LB like many seem to think.