Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If you have a good counter for $1.5million for one player and can pony up, let us know. Or anyone else. Otherwise, punt. They doubled what anyone was thinking and I’d heard from their end that they might. That’s crazy stupid shit. 

We all knew this was coming. They blew their wad on one guy and will try to ride that "momentum" to close out on Hicks. That locker room is going to be really interesting over the next 24 months.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It was obvious that Jimbo was going to bring Hill into his office and keep him there until he said yes. When your recruiting is absolutely in the shitter as it was, then you don't give two shits about the consequences.

I don't think it was ever as in the shitter as it appeared to be, just slow getting started. They've been focused on this pool party and obviously their NIL/bag game isn't too tapped out to put interesting stuff on the table for some guys.

This is the counterpunch that we knew was coming. I bet they eventually land Gullette, Toviano, and Hicks and flip Owens.

Good for A&M in the short term.  If they don’t come through on these deals then they will absolutely buttfuck themselves in the long term.  The heat has already been cranked up to 11 on the negative recruiting. Aggy should really be asking themselves how many of these guys are going to Quinn Ewers their ass too…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If you have a good counter for $1.5million for one player and can pony up, let us know. Or anyone else. Otherwise, punt. They doubled what anyone was thinking and I’d heard from their end that they might. That’s crazy stupid shit. 

Holy fuck, I think I would go fuck sheep for that amount of money  too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

d3c9709b-9ad4-4442-a3fe-d981ed18bcf6_tex

Edited by TotallyLegit

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know if you'd have the knowledge on this, but you seem to be the most knowledgeable on the board regarding this topic. Just ignore if this is saying the quiet part out loud. I thought there were rumors of aggy not being able to pay what they promised their massive class last year. Knowing that, and then dropping their dick on the table for Hill... does that change it at all? I'm assuming this is straight bag, so is it up front? Or is it a promised 1.5 NIL deal once enrolled? 

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I don't know if you'd have the knowledge on this, but you seem to be the most knowledgeable on the board regarding this topic. Just ignore if this is saying the quiet part out loud. I thought there were rumors of aggy not being able to pay what they promised their massive class last year. Knowing that, and then dropping their dick on the table for Hill... does that change it at all? I'm assuming this is straight bag, so is it up front? Or is it a promised 1.5 NIL deal once enrolled? 

aggy has no NIL programs. It's straight bags, likely $1.5M is the total paid out over 3-4 seasons. aggy would be stupid to give Hill and his family $1.5M upfront. They are a retarded bunch, but they learned their lessons from the 80s.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

aggy has no NIL programs. It's straight bags, likely $1.5M is the total paid out over 3-4 seasons. aggy would be stupid to give Hill and his family $1.5M upfront. They are a retarded bunch, but they learned their lessons from the 80s.

I mean, I definitely agree with the points your making, but wasn't Kelvin Banks given a thumbdrive full of crypto for his commitment(to oregon)? It doesn't seem that outlandish, which is why I asked.

Edited by BornAndRaised

Hill is another great example of why caring a lot less about recruiting and college football in general may be a decent life strategy. All of the buying of players, legally or illegally, just means the whole system is pretty rigged.

There’s only so much satisfaction or dissatisfaction one can get from a rigged situation.  Buying wins has been around forever, but it’s now reached the Jump the Shark stage with the behavior of the rubes of college station. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

“Our recruiting event which was planned well over a month in advance and specifically scheduled for a Thursday for various reasons was thrown together haphazardly AND GUYS WHAT IS HAPPENING WE ARE ARE FAAAAAAAILING!” isnt a take I expected to see today, but here we fucking are…watching a guy with 8+ years of higher education and a medical degree who’s been following recruiting for years just throwing himself into a pool of hot sewage, scrubbing under his arms, doing the backstroke, and casually spitting liquid into the air with total aplomb. Fuck. 

Theres malpractice insurance for a reason. 

Case in point. 

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Hill is another great example of why caring a lot less about recruiting and college football in general may be a decent life strategy. All of the buying of players, legally or illegally, just means the whole system is pretty rigged.

There’s only so much satisfaction or dissatisfaction one can get from a rigged situation.  Buying wins has been around forever, but it’s now reached the Jump the Shark stage with the behavior of the rubes of college station. 

It's rigged in the favor of Texas. We are the flagship school with a huge alumni base in the 9th largest economy in the world.

Quit being a crying bitch over losing 1 player after going 5-7.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

We are about to enter the SEC. Ole Miss, UGA, Tenn, LSU, and Bama have been buying players for years. This is the cost of doing business now

Yes. And we have more money than pretty much anyone. Too bad our money guys (of which I am not one) are (justifiably) concerned about return on investment, and our AD and administration are concerned about rules. We’re gonna have to win with coaching. Optimism is low. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Vermin said:

It's rigged in the favor of Texas. We are the flagship school with a huge alumni base in the 9th largest economy in the world.

Go fuck yourself you little pussy ass bitch. The only one whining is you because you can’t read. Dumb fuck. 

• Haha 3
  • Fuck You 2

Anyone else notice that the top 100 recruits are almost all committed somewhere already? I feel like it's way more than in the past. If you scroll through the list, there are very few still uncommitted. Wonder if that's an NIL byproduct and how many flips we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yeah, especially as we enter into the SEC where it is expected.  The irony that their fan base thinks we have a bag game is the hilarious part.  There were times I wish we in fact had one.  Hopefully NIL should alleviate most of this over the next few years, but as we have seen today it hasn't happened yet.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Haha 1

Here are the guys whom we've been recruiting heavily, are are also expected in (or have been to) CS.  

Let's see what happens with the bottom 4.

-5-star Denton Ryan LB Anthony Hill- confirmed; Committed to A&M on Saturday
-5-star Katy Paetow DL David Hicks (maybe Sunday)
 -4-star Arlington Martin CB Javien Toviano - confirmed
- 4-star Marlin LB Derion Gullette
-4-star Longview WR Jalen Hale (Thursday)

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Here are the guys whom we've been recruiting heavily, are are also expected in (or have been to) CS.  

Toviano was at LSU yesterday, did he make it to CS?

And yeah Hale didn't even spend the night in CS apparently, is at Bama now

Hicks was/is at OU (idk which). Twitter rumors that he's skipping A&M which is leading to some speculation that he might be an OU silent now.

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

I thought Toviano went to Baton Rouge? Did he go to BCS as well?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Pere Nolen won’t be happy about that number. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Vermin said:

the people who spam "It's just one player!!1!" every time we miss out on a LB are often the same people who later on wonder why our LB corps is so mediocre during the regular season. When was our last inside LB who was actually good? It's been quite a while.

It's funny to see how the scales have fallen from people's eyes with regard to our OL recruiting over the past few years under Herman. But those same people don't (or won't) see that our LB corps is headed down the same road. LB, like OL, is a tough spot to develop and the simple reality is we are not adding the needed talent at the position. The same people who are content with takes like S'Maje Burrell and Trevell Johnson were the same people who were content with takes like Hookfin and Ghirmai under Herman.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

the people who spam "It's just one player!!1!" every time we miss out on a LB are often the same people who later on wonder why our LB corps is so mediocre during the regular season. When was our last inside LB who was actually good? It's been quite a while.

It's funny to see how the scales have fallen from people's eyes with regard to our OL recruiting over the past few years under Herman. But those same people don't (or won't) see that our LB corps is headed down the same road. LB, like OL, is a tough spot to develop and the simple reality is we are not adding the needed talent at the position. The same people who are content with takes like S'Maje Burrell and Trevell Johnson were the same people who were content with takes like Hookfin and Ghirmai under Herman.

If you got 1.5 mil to spare we could fix this Hill issue rather quickly

Edited by westexhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

There are 22 positions and you can't always get what you want at all of them when you go 5-7. We can't fire everybody when our recruiting class is "only" #5.

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

Pere Nolen won’t be happy about that number. 

It am really curious to know how A&M manages their guys in free agency every year. I'm willing to bet numbers are soaring across the board and their guys will know that.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Good thing the transfer portal exists. Next year just get the equivalent of Drew Sanders / Ocean Mathis.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hill is a good player and a big loss. Aggy has a lot of great talent on defense coming together and that is a legitimate rationale for a guy like him. Plus they were desperate for the win which undoubtably showed up as suggested. We should keep open eyes about any defensive prospects right now, all we have is a vision we can sell, pk or Patterson need to make some tape that we can sell during the season.

It’s shaping up like a #1 offense vs #1 defense type of battle when we meet on the field again.

37 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Obviously ctj brings a lot of value to this board, and I'm definitely not in a position to comment on things he has said specifically. But when it comes to rumors floating around Longhorn message boards/Twitter/etc, you always have to be wary of conflating rumors with some basis in reality with those that include a healthy dose of wishcasting. I would guess that private conversations between BMDs aren't immune to those kind of biases as well.

Aggy has a zillion alumni, most of whom are football crazy and desperate to win. Setting aside the current status of actual NIL programs around the country, if you were to start making a list of the programs who generally have the best ability to splash out in this new reality, aggy would have to be what? Top 10? Top 15 at worst maybe? The fact in front of us is that they evidently have enough juice left to turn the heads of Hill, Nelson, Branch, and maybe others. Now maybe they're just straight up lying to guys and their entire program will eventually collapse in a pile of dust. Maybe. I'm personally skeptical of that thesis for the same reasons that I already mentioned.

31 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The new reality is a massive net win for Texas. Whereas before we were fighting with one hand tied behind our back because of our unwillingness to do stuff against the letter of the law, now we can do all the same shit as everyone else with the NCAA's stamp of approval.

I agree with your larger point about college football in general. The end result of this will be a Division 0 with maybe 20-30 programs that can keep up. The Iowa States, Arizona States, and Minnesotas of the world are well and truly fucked. Many don't seem to care, but I personally think this is a MASSIVE detriment to the sport. It's the European SuperLeague in soccer all over again. Except this time, there's no grassroots movement from fans to squash it because Americans are so accustomed to money running every aspect of big time sports.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Our defense was shit last year, and when bags are being dropped, I gotta believe the situation will need to appear more lucrative to a recruit if we aren’t ponying up to come near the oppositions #. 

Field a defense with a pulse and show upward trajectory, and outcomes may be different. 

As it currently stands, it’s still bag game vs NIL. Most believe NIL will eventually prevail, but we are still in its infancy. Texas appears way farther along than most. Also, with the portal and “free agency”, holes can be filled w/o recruiting. If a biletnikoff winner can portal, then so can all-american type LB’s. Those who’ve shown their NIL game to be legit, and not smoke and mirrors, will have advantages.

• Hook 'Em 1

Aggy is going to have 5 stars at almost every position on defense which is crazy.  It’s Bama level recruiting.  The same can be said of our offense.  We got back to back #1 QBs two years in a row.  Our WR, RB, and OL recruiting the last two years is on par with anyone in the country.  Sark is going to have to show he can win on the field or we are going to need to come up with a pancake factory of sorts on the defensive side.  If we can get Mathews and/or Toviano we have plenty of blue chips at DL and DB.  Our problem is that we’ve recruited like ass at edge and LB and it shows on the field.  What makes it worse is the entire defense is built around having strong edge and Lb play.  PK and Choate are going to need to have to develop these guys bc neither are elite recruiters so it not like we can throw talented prospects in there and hope for better play.  There is absolutely no pass rush on this team.  We whiffed in the portal and we are relying now on a converted safety to be our answer to manufacturing pass rush.  I expect this defense to looks average at best and marginally better than the absolute abortion they were last year.  Fingers crossed we are putting up 50-60 points a game on offense.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Aggy is going to have 5 stars at almost every position on defense which is crazy.  It’s Bama level recruiting.  The same can be said of our offense.  We got back to back #1 QBs two years in a row.  Our WR, RB, and OL recruiting the last two years is on par with anyone in the country.  Sark is going to have to show he can win on the field or we are going to need to come up with a pancake factory of sorts on the defensive side.  If we can get Mathews and/or Toviano we have plenty of blue chips at DL and DB.  Our problem is that we’ve recruited like ass at edge and LB and it shows on the field.  What makes it worse is the entire defense is built around having strong edge and Lb play.  PK and Choate are going to need to have to develop these guys bc neither are elite recruiters so it not like we can throw talented prospects in there and hope for better play.  There is absolutely no pass rush on this team.  We whiffed in the portal and we are relying now on a converted safety to be our answer to manufacturing pass rush.  I expect this defense to looks average at best and marginally better than the absolute abortion they were last year.  Fingers crossed we are putting up 50-60 points a game on offense.

We should have hired that Ok State DC before Ohio State stole him away

• Hook 'Em 2