Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

17 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Burrell sucks now?

Burrell and Lafou are both really good players. Hill is a next level dude, but both of those guys are going to be some serious upgrades of what we have seen at the position the last couple of years. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

With the grumblings from eggy recruits not getting what they were promised last year, what you think will be going on when these guys figure out Hill got a bag that heavy dropped at his feet?

Even if they did get what they were promised, what will they think about Hill getting twice as much? Unless there's something I can't think of keeping them locked in, A&M is going to have to re-up a bunch of guys

24 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Toviano was at LSU yesterday, did he make it to CS?

And yeah Hale didn't even spend the night in CS apparently, is at Bama now

Hicks was/is at OU (idk which). Twitter rumors that he's skipping A&M which is leading to some speculation that he might be an OU silent now.

Hill made sense for aggy, Hicks honestly doesn’t. All of those guys they signed last year at DL, everybody is not going to be playing the amount that they want. That’s a boon for Okie because the Hicks fam doesn’t like our scheme.

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Aggy is going to have 5 stars at almost every position on defense which is crazy.  It’s Bama level recruiting.  The same can be said of our offense.  We got back to back #1 QBs two years in a row.  Our WR, RB, and OL recruiting the last two years is on par with anyone in the country.  Sark is going to have to show he can win on the field or we are going to need to come up with a pancake factory of sorts on the defensive side.  If we can get Mathews and/or Toviano we have plenty of blue chips at DL and DB.  Our problem is that we’ve recruited like ass at edge and LB and it shows on the field.  What makes it worse is the entire defense is built around having strong edge and Lb play.  PK and Choate are going to need to have to develop these guys bc neither are elite recruiters so it not like we can throw talented prospects in there and hope for better play.  There is absolutely no pass rush on this team.  We whiffed in the portal and we are relying now on a converted safety to be our answer to manufacturing pass rush.  I expect this defense to looks average at best and marginally better than the absolute abortion they were last year.  Fingers crossed we are putting up 50-60 points a game on offense.

The issue was Orlando not recruiting the edges. He recruited 4i and ILBs. It was just a huge black hole last year. One thing you have to tip your hat to Sark is when he sees a problem he generally throws numbers at it. He did that last year at OL/EDge. Still throwing numbers at OL. I hope it continues on the edge this year

7 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

With the grumblings from eggy recruits not getting what they were promised last year, what you think will be going on when these guys figure out Hill got a bag that heavy dropped at his feet?

You have to believe that they will get it somewhat figured out in terms of delivering on those promises. 

15 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Even if they did get what they were promised, what will they think about Hill getting twice as much? Unless there's something I can't think of keeping them locked in, A&M is going to have to re-up a bunch of guys

We had to re-up X just a few months ago. It’s going to happen until the market stabilizes. 

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

We had to re-up X just a few months ago. It’s going to happen until the market stabilizes. 

didn't this happen on literally the day before the transfer window closed? now imagine a quarter of the roster doing this next year. There will absolutely be some casualties.

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Meh. I’m of the opinion of you live and are raised in Austin and you consider the meth heads in OU. You lack cognitive function anyway 

I get wanting to experience another part of the world. Maybe just not that part of the world

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Yep, but it's worse when you're dealing with pure mercenaries. Someone like Nolen is gonna bail for the first better offer

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Let's not conflate NIL with the bag game.

You can't blame aggie BMD and their fans.  They know what people think of them and also that people laugh at them behind their backs.  They get shit on in and out of state.  They are more desperate to win today than in the Sherill era and are dropping bags to give them the best chance to do that.  The ROI on actually winning a championship, at least in their mind, would mean legitimacy and a seat at the big boy table.  Them seeing little consequence or loss of reputation, for dropping bags, within the SEC has them all in.  Let's see how it works out for them.  I have doubts.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

I would’ve tripled it if I were Texas, considering the shit we’ve seen at that position. 

You ARE Texas in this scenario. Feel free to donate like crazy, because the University of Texas can’t give money to players. NIL can, so go nuts with your donation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

anyone care to share?

The linebacker formerly from Marlin, now from Teague is seeing his recruitment come to an end. When that happens, the ante is raised and schools start pushing extra hard.

The good: Gullette missing the Texas BBQ because of car issues isn’t good, but that’s not really why he missed. That’s a convenient excuse for the public. That’s between he and the coaches and him missing is seemingly not a big deal. He did FaceTime into the party.

Also good, he’s not expected at A&M today, though he may still go tomorrow. If he does go, that will be a pretty interesting data point.

The bad: There are a couple pieces in this recruitment that hard to fit together. Like we always say, you don’t know what you don’t know so you better account for that. On the heels of losing Anthony Hill to the Aggies, fans are going to justifiably lose confidence in another head to head for a defensive player.

There is growing confidence on the A&M side, at least per reporters in that market.

In sum: This next week should be the final days of his recruitment. We think a decision will be in by next weekend at the latest. Texas has done the best job recruiting to this point which gives the coaches the relationship advantage. They have also done the best job of selling Gullette on their plan for him — which sounds a lot like their plans for De’Marvion Overshown this season.

But we’re seeing our first glimpses of A&M recruiting to the level of last cycle and with that comes uncertainty.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The linebacker formerly from Marlin, now from Teague is seeing his recruitment come to an end. When that happens, the ante is raised and schools start pushing extra hard.

The good: Gullette missing the Texas BBQ because of car issues isn’t good, but that’s not really why he missed. That’s a convenient excuse for the public. That’s between he and the coaches and him missing is seemingly not a big deal. He did FaceTime into the party.

Also good, he’s not expected at A&M today, though he may still go tomorrow. If he does go, that will be a pretty interesting data point.

The bad: There are a couple pieces in this recruitment that hard to fit together. Like we always say, you don’t know what you don’t know so you better account for that. On the heels of losing Anthony Hill to the Aggies, fans are going to justifiably lose confidence in another head to head for a defensive player.

There is growing confidence on the A&M side, at least per reporters in that market.

In sum: This next week should be the final days of his recruitment. We think a decision will be in by next weekend at the latest. Texas has done the best job recruiting to this point which gives the coaches the relationship advantage. They have also done the best job of selling Gullette on their plan for him — which sounds a lot like their plans for De’Marvion Overshown this season.

But we’re seeing our first glimpses of A&M recruiting to the level of last cycle and with that comes uncertainty.

TL;DR Texas is the leader unless a fat bag ends up in his lap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

You ARE Texas in this scenario. Feel free to donate like crazy, because the University of Texas can’t give money to players. NIL can, so go nuts with your donation. 

I can offer some killer IOU’s. 

1AC6762F-0583-4459-ADC2-B21E71C4766D.gif.c8f298af933df5ab4ada5065e1d0efce.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

the people who spam "It's just one player!!1!" every time we miss out on a LB are often the same people who later on wonder why our LB corps is so mediocre during the regular season. When was our last inside LB who was actually good? It's been quite a while.

It's funny to see how the scales have fallen from people's eyes with regard to our OL recruiting over the past few years under Herman. But those same people don't (or won't) see that our LB corps is headed down the same road. LB, like OL, is a tough spot to develop and the simple reality is we are not adding the needed talent at the position. The same people who are content with takes like S'Maje Burrell and Trevell Johnson were the same people who were content with takes like Hookfin and Ghirmai under Herman.

Your overall point is valid, but I think Burrell and Lefau are solid players. If we had a pair like them each class the last few years, we’d be much better off at the position right now. 

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He gone

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Kind of feels like Vasek just wants to get away from Austin and do his own thing. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Felt that way for close to 6 months now.

He was unhappy for not being a top priority at the position.

With aggy so defensively heavy, teams are not gonna be scoring a lot of points….their offense won’t have to score an awful lot of points for them to win.  Locker room staying together is paramount.   But, if anybody can fuck up what they have….it’s aggy.

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

So what’s after Vasek and Gullette? Starting to feel like we’ll be in the bargain bin again for pass rushers. 

Akana becomes the primary target. He's a hell of a player.  I preferred Shelby, but it is what it is.  Akana is rated higher. I think we can circle back to Ashley Williams, who had very good film and is committed to Nebraska.  The 5 star Wilson from Florida is a hail mary. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

So what’s after Vasek and Gullette? Starting to feel like we’ll be in the bargain bin again for pass rushers. 

Have you not read the last few pages?  Vasek was a charity offer anyway and will never start even. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

On paper, anything other than a Championship in the next 3 years should be a fireable offense for Jimbo.

Not really. Bama's combined 22/23 classes still likely to be better than Aggies, even moreso if you include '21

7 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Or it wasn't bullshit, but it got sorted out? No reason to straight up attack people for passing along what they hear

Attack??? Seems overly dramatic.  I don’t believe him.  That’s all.

25 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Or … the rumor of aggy not paying was bullshit.  @closetojumping

That wasn’t what was said at the time and we discussed it and tried to explain it to you here at the time. But you lack reading comprehension and can’t fathom context, so here we are, with you making shit up and claiming to be a soothsayer. 

16 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

He isn't the only one to mention that.

I didn’t fucking say that ATM wasn’t paying people. God damn, guys. I fucking sat here for two weeks telling you what was going to happen with Hill, while guys paid to cover this remained bullish. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That wasn’t what was said at the time and we discussed it and tried to explain it to you here at the time. But you lack reading comprehension and can’t fathom context, so here we are, with you making shit up and claiming to be a soothsayer. 

I didn’t fucking say that ATM wasn’t paying people. God damn, guys. I fucking sat here for two weeks telling you what was going to happen with Hill, while guys paid to cover this remained bullish. 

My understanding from your posts was we weren’t going to get outbid or more of if we lose Hill it won’t be because of bags.

• Hook 'Em 2