Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Y’all are correct. 

So what you’re wanting is for boosters with no background or appetite historically for buying recruits to start buying recruits because the dinosaur down the road still has a few targets of opportunity? That’s a panicked fantasy. And also, throwing out something that is working because of one absurd scenario seems pretty smart. 

They’ll learn one way or another. 

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

Actually no...you started playing Satya's greatest hits because you thought the pool party was unorganized and we weren't getting recruits.  Then when others called you out on that, you pivoted to the edge recruiting complaint.

I  was pissed about EDGE. I thought Collins and Brown were our targets and Vasek was a fallback. Yesterday we heard Collins at 6'4" 240 was not a target at EDGE and that Brown was much smaller than expected and would probably be an interior guy as well. Vasek despite being a Westlake guy didn't move the needle for me. Today, Brown committed somewhere else and Vasek is probably going to a Texas rival. Again, no big deal but it raises the question of what we are doing at EDGE with von Trapp and Finkley last year and this year with 1 undersized guy in Walton, 1 possible undersized and injured guy in Gullete, some chance of Akana and air.

I have laughed at our linebacker recruiting the past few years and put the blame on our linebacker coach. This year things seem to be moving in the right direction. So, I haven't commented on Hill. We can lose one key target. We just can't whiff on every key target. At EDGE, I couldn't even tell you what the fuck we are looking for based on last year's class and this year's targets.

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That wasn’t what was said at the time and we discussed it and tried to explain it to you here at the time. But you lack reading comprehension and can’t fathom context, so here we are, with you making shit up and claiming to be a soothsayer. 

I didn’t fucking say that ATM wasn’t paying people. God damn, guys. I fucking sat here for two weeks telling you what was going to happen with Hill, while guys paid to cover this remained bullish. 

I read the previous person's quote wrong. I thought it said something else. You made it clear laggy was paying. I was attempting to defend you anyway. Need to get my eyes checked.

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Other than maybe Gullette, any others you think could be on the Hill plan for them? Any of our commits at risk?

I don’t think any of our current commits would be at risk of flipping to aggy.  I think there are guys that we need to keep recruiting like Malik Muhammad and Derrick Williams that could flip to Bama and LSU respectively if we don’t win on the field.  As far as uncommitted prospects, I would say Guillete and Toviano could easily end up at aggy.  The random car break down is a pretty good indicator for how Guillete’s recruitment is going to play out if he shows up at aggy tomorrow.  I’ve seen it play out too many times.  The rumors of him preferring Texas but people in his circle wanting him to visit aggy should be enough data points for you to put together.  

On a brighter note, don’t stress.  We’re going to get Baxter and Hale … two guys aggy are trying to get as well.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m patiently waiting the day our boosters realize they’re gettting outbid and the game isn’t what they think. Sink or swim. 

They’re literally setting up an entire legal network worth >>>>> whatever the fuck the ags paid Hill and we just landed like 10 recruits because of it while A&M HAD to shoot their biggest wad yet to land a single player. Dipshit.

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I  was pissed about EDGE. I thought Collins and Brown were our targets and Vasek was a fallback. Yesterday we heard Collins at 6'4" 240 was not a target at EDGE and that Brown was much smaller than expected and would probably be an interior guy as well. Vasek despite being a Westlake guy didn't move the needle for me. Today, Brown committed somewhere else and Vasek is probably going to a Texas rival. Again, no big deal but it raises the question of what we are doing at EDGE with von Trapp and Finkley last year and this year with 1 undersized guy in Walton, 1 possible undersized and injured guy in Gullete, some chance of Akana and air.

I have laughed at our linebacker recruiting the past few years and put the blame on our linebacker coach. This year things seem to be moving in the right direction. So, I haven't commented on Hill. We can lose one key target. We just can't whiff on every key target. At EDGE, I couldn't even tell you what the fuck we are looking for based on last year's class and this year's targets.

Goddammit why is ‘Edge’ capitalized?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

fuck NIL. I have a plan that guarantees Texas will never lose another recruit. It’s a simple solution. If all the posters that have complained about boosters not giving enough money would just pony up THEIR cash and stop trying to  spend other people’s money, Texas would never lose another recruitment 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Going back decades we have bought players in certain parts of Texas.  I have first hand knowledge of it in isolated instances.  It never seemed very coordinated from my viewpoint.  You had a rich guy his corner of the state who took a few local studs under his wing and steered them to Texas by “helping them out”.  This was old SWC stuff and we weren’t very good at it.  It’s NEVER going to be a significant thing at this university.   So all of our effort should be and is toward collectives and such. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

fuck NIL. I have a plan that guarantees Texas will never lose another recruit. It’s a simple solution. If all the posters that have complained about boosters not giving enough money would just pony up THEIR cash and stop trying to  spend other people’s money, Texas would never lose another recruitment 

Hey man! I’m spending $10 a month!! 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

They’re literally setting up an entire legal network worth >>>>> whatever the fuck the ags paid Hill and we just landed like 10 recruits because of it while A&M HAD to shoot their biggest wad yet to land a single player. Dipshit.

Is it though?

seems like the illegal payments are working for elite players

Just now, Codaxx said:

For real. If you want to complain about our boosters having better stuff to spend their money on than $1.5mm for a high school athlete, I better see receipts that you're participating in every single NIL opportunity UT has. Tbh, what a terrible use of money even if you have it - go house some homeless people or something ffs.

The thing to complain about is that A&M boosters are such desperate weirdos that they're willing to do what they're doing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Going back decades we have bought players in certain parts of Texas.  I have first hand knowledge of it in isolated instances.  It never seemed very coordinated from my viewpoint.  You had a rich guy his corner of the state who took a few local studs under his wing and steered them to Texas by “helping them out”.  This was old SWC stuff and we weren’t very good at it.  It’s NEVER going to be a significant thing at this university.   So all of our effort should be and is toward collectives and such. 

Great so burn the program down because that shit isn’t going to fly in the new conference 

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

For real. If you want to complain about our boosters having better stuff to spend their money on than $1.5mm for a high school athlete, I better see receipts that you're participating in every single NIL opportunity UT has. Tbh, what a terrible use of money even if you have it - go house some homeless people or something ffs.

The thing to complain about is that A&M boosters are such desperate weirdos that they're willing to do what they're doing.

Yeah that’s cool. Maybe one day Aggies will win it all and the shit they receive from Aggie boosters will wake their pussy ass up. “We’re “Texas!”

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, The Deuce said:

Our defense was shit last year, and when bags are being dropped, I gotta believe the situation will need to appear more lucrative to a recruit if we aren’t ponying up to come near the oppositions #. 

Field a defense with a pulse and show upward trajectory, and outcomes may be different. 

As it currently stands, it’s still bag game vs NIL. Most believe NIL will eventually prevail, but we are still in its infancy. Texas appears way farther along than most. Also, with the portal and “free agency”, holes can be filled w/o recruiting. If a biletnikoff winner can portal, then so can all-american type LB’s. Those who’ve shown their NIL game to be legit, and not smoke and mirrors, will have advantages.

Talk is cheap... Our new player's NIL initiative has only sold 359 of their 4k available passes at $199 each. We have 1/2 million living alumni and thousands of season ticket holders that make annual gifts well in excess of that amount just to keep their seats and OU priority, so I'm disappointed they haven't sold out already.  

1 minute ago, Shonen said:

Talk is cheap... Our new player's NIL initiative has only sold 359 of their 4k available passes at $199 each. We have 1/2 million living alumni and thousands of season ticket holders that make annual gifts well in excess of that amount just to keep their seats and OU priority, so I'm disappointed they haven't sold out already.  

They don’t think paying players is okay. They think the good old UT degree is all that it should take!

• Rage+1 1

A lot of good posts in here.  This is going to be a top 5 class with or without Hill.  That would be two back to back top 5 classes.  I also want to reiterate that Texas has done a great job in the portal and it’s probably where you are going to see bigger dollar amounts on players.  Would you rather have Isiah Neyor or Evan Stewart?  Denver Harris or Ryan Watts?  Spending 1 mil plus is ridiculous on high school recruits when you can get players that have proven it on the college level through the portal that can contribute immediately.  We’ve set up pancake factory and burnt ends.  Our elite skill talent are driving lambos.  Look at Xavier Worthy’s IG… he seems to be driving a new car every week.  The guys that are good will be taken care of at a level other schools won’t be able to match.  I could be wrong but I believe there is something in the works for the DL in the future and hopefully we can have a 50k baseline for every position group.  This is going to take time but I think it will lead to a lot of recruiting success.  What aggy is doing is unsustainable.  They are looking at another 8 win season and getting that type of money lined up every year without winning isn’t going to happen.  That money is coming from someone and most people I know don’t like to shell tens of thousands for football recruits unless there is some form of winning involved.

• Hook 'Em 8

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Great so burn the program down because that shit isn’t going to fly in the new conference 

Yeah that’s cool. Maybe one day Aggies will win it all and the shit they receive from Aggie boosters will wake their pussy ass up. “We’re “Texas!”

I am not saying the 1.5mm is factual. If someone spent 1.5mm on a ILB, that is fucking insane. That isn’t a position to blow your wad on. Look at the NFL positional salaries,  if you disagree. It’s also not a position where you just insert the best athlete and you will have guaranteed success. ILB is similar to Safety in that respect 

7 minutes ago, Shonen said:

That’s not it at all.  Most people are probably not going to spend $200 on football players to get on a discord chat with them.  If you want alumni involved on a large scale, there needs to be some sort of initiative through a legitimate platform like Texas Exes (not sure that’s within the rules but you get my drift) and I would say to have different tiers like burnt ends has so people can choose.  There needs to some sort of return as well.  We are on a message board and get interviews with the TEs through burnt ends.  99% of the alumni have probably never heard of surly horns so a discord chat for $200 was probably a stupid idea to begin with bc it’s not something the majority of people will spend money on.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Losing out on a prospect like Hill sucks regardless of circumstances. But there's at least consolation - Burrell and Lefau is already the best LB class Texas has recruited since 2019, with what could have been with Floyd, and before that I don't even know when. You'd probably have to go back to the Strong era. Even without Hill I am just happy the institutional ban on recruiting multiple LBs is lifted.

Will be interested to see if they circle back to anyone as a potential third LB or if they just take the two.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 takeaways I’ve noticed recently -

1- I don’t do social media, but kids saying “so and so is definitely coming to play with us” is wishcasting/clickbait

b-the Arch effect, while real, isn’t enough to override bags being dropped in recruits laps at other schools

3- fuck ou

4- since I’m stuck at home with Covid, I’m going to try out some new edibles I brought back from the mountains, and some of you can still handwring before the season even starts….

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

I honestly don’t know how some of you survive as adults when you shit your pants at the first sign of any adversity. We weren’t going to land every single player we wanted, championship teams don’t even do that, much less 5-7 ones.

It’s not surprising when people were told Texas was the only school paying. It’s understandable that expectations were high. 

I understand these kids taking the big payment now and I also understand Texas not willing to write a blank check to an unproven high school player.  If Texas is going go get aggressive on payments I prefer it to be for players that have success in college.  The bigger dollars should go toward transfers.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

You ARE Texas in this scenario. Feel free to donate like crazy, because the University of Texas can’t give money to players. NIL can, so go nuts with your donation. 

Texas can't assist in setting up a payment plan to elite players but the administrations at every other blueblood sets up these well done payment schemes? They've been doing it for a century. Any actions by the NCAA and state politicians is nothing more than grandstanding. These aren't lawbreaking schemes. The "rules" are not only morally wrong but ambiguous and unenforceable. It's not a moral or ethical issue to pay people what they are worth to do a job. 

The average Joe doesn't fund these type arrangements. The former governor of Texas and the ATM Chancellor (a former lifelong Texas politician) helped setup all of this for ATM. It's  been a work in progress. Alabama, Georgia, tOSU, Oregon, all these schools had help in initial setup of their payment system. It's almost impossible to organize it any other way. UT can't do the same? It's up to the poor average Joe on a message board to fund the players of a program approaching $200,000,000 in revenue per year? It's up to the donors to try and organize all this on their own? This isn't how the rest of our future conference mates play ball. This isn't how college football operates. These are the excuses of some members of the UT administration. 

If you really think ATM has more motivated BMDs, you'd be wrong IMO. They have a more motivated administration.

It will be interesting to see if Texas will help Sark land an elite OOS pass rusher and a linebacker. He's going to need them.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

If you really think ATM has more motivated BMDs, you'd be wrong IMO. They have a more motivated administration.

It will be interesting to see if Texas will help Sark land an elite OOS pass rusher and a linebacker. He's going to need them.

What would Berkeley do?

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They don’t think paying players is okay. They think the good old UT degree is all that it should take!

I am an alumnus and $199 going directly to the players instead of administrative bloat was an easy call 🤘🏽

Frankly, between Clark Field Collective, Horns With Heart, Burnt Ends, The Players' Lounge, adhoc memorabilia signing events, coaching FB camps for rich kids in Westlake, car lease NIL deals, dropping mix tapes, or doing sponsored posts on social media,  there's no shortage of opportunities to make $ as a UT FB player.  If we lose out on prospects expecting a bag or who have handlers that need a cut, that might just mean shifting slots to portal talent where the ROI is a little easier to project. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Shonen said:

It’s.A.Fucking.Scam

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, victory88 said:

That’s not it at all.  Most people are probably not going to spend $200 on football players to get on a discord chat with them.  If you want alumni involved on a large scale, there needs to be some sort of initiative through a legitimate platform like Texas Exes (not sure that’s within the rules but you get my drift) and I would say to have different tiers like burnt ends has so people can choose.  There needs to some sort of return as well.  We are on a message board and get interviews with the TEs through burnt ends.  99% of the alumni have probably never heard of surly horns so a discord chat for $200 was probably a stupid idea to begin with bc it’s not something the majority of people will spend money on.  

The point was that it was an ez and legal way to support the entire roster of players even if you never use Discord (there will also be IRL events & at least one tailgate). 

1 minute ago, Shonen said:

The point was that it was an ez and legal way to support the entire roster of players even if you never use Discord (there will also be IRL events & at least one tailgate). 

The point is that it's a scam and is taking 20% off the top before splitting the rest with the entire roster, and it's being done at every university to turn a quick buck for the owner. It's a for profit initiative.

• Hook 'Em 6

41 minutes ago, victory88 said:

You don’t have to participate in the events that are held by the athletes/initiatives. They just have to do them to be in accordance with the law that those things are what you are paying for.