Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

24 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Two OU picks for Hicks on Rivals.

I don't think Hicks is an edge guy in our system. The more interesting thing is that ou is quietly putting a nice class together. And for us, losing Hill does suck. But losing Gullette would make me lose faith in PK regardless of slight improvements this year on the field. Akana could alleviate that, but I think it would require a big dose of hope in finding a transfer like Mathis. This is all somewhat tongue in cheek because its not even August and some $9.95ers are still positive on Shelby and Gullete but I sure wouldn't like the trend. Nevermind, re-reading this - it is a terrible post. The lunchtime margaritas and nap were great though.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If you have a good counter for $1.5million for one player and can pony up, let us know. Or anyone else. Otherwise, punt. They doubled what anyone was thinking and I’d heard from their end that they might. That’s crazy stupid shit. 

I guess that’s good then; not my money but I’d prefer our available funds be spread around rather than have so much risk exposure on a 17 year old.  Hopefully that’s $1.5m less they have available to distribute elsewhere.

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

the people who spam "It's just one player!!1!" every time we miss out on a LB are often the same people who later on wonder why our LB corps is so mediocre during the regular season. When was our last inside LB who was actually good? It's been quite a while.

It's funny to see how the scales have fallen from people's eyes with regard to our OL recruiting over the past few years under Herman. But those same people don't (or won't) see that our LB corps is headed down the same road. LB, like OL, is a tough spot to develop and the simple reality is we are not adding the needed talent at the position. The same people who are content with takes like S'Maje Burrell and Trevell Johnson were the same people who were content with takes like Hookfin and Ghirmai under Herman.

Clearly the issue is that we just need to start kidnapping recruits that don't pick us.  

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

It's because @BurntOrange&White wants to be @closetojumping's @SydneyCarton and that's impossible. @SydneyCarton is a one of kind right-hand henchman and @closetojumping is just not interested in @BurntOrange&White.

Hes Not That Into You GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It’s not every day you find a capable baby giraffe. That’s some James Bond henchman shit my friend. 

No Taviano and and No Hicks shows why they so desperately needed Hill.  I tend to think Gullete is going to Aggie as well if he made it in for the pool party.

Regardless, it's recruiting - there will be hits and misses and you now have a real chance to clean up some big misses in the portal.  Aggie is not going anywhere anytime soon and it's not like the rest of the SEC has ever had any issues with the bag game before.  

Would have loved to have Hill, but we are doing about 1,000 times better in recruiting this year than I would have expected at the end of last season for various reasons.  Hopefully, they can continue to close out well on the targets on the board and build some momentum during the school year.

Edited by deech
  • Hook 'Em 6

Jeeezus... and yesterday I got negged to oblivion just because I HOPED the staff would push for more uncommitted targets to come to town.

I get that you have to got to get elite talent. That said we have had more than our fair share of guys who are supposedly elite just go lame once they get here over the last 12 years.

So, at this point, IDGAF how many stars these guys have. Just bring in guys that WANT TO put in the work to be BAMF'ers and put this program back at the top.

Time will tell if giving a guy out of high school over $1M before playing a college snap will be a wise investment or not. Or maybe said player will mail it in. I'd rather my bullets go to proven portal talent.

Have a good season, close out some of the remaining targets, find some late diamonds in the rough, keep the current guys in the boat... then on to big game hunting in the portal.

All the while, I will sit here and hope this bag game majestically blows up in Aggy face because there are going to be a lot of mouths to feed and expectations that are still unlikely to be met.

6 minutes ago, mannewers said:

Jeeezus... and yesterday I got negged to oblivion just because I HOPED the staff would push for more uncommitted targets to come to town.

I get that you have to got to get elite talent. That said we have had more than our fair share of guys who are supposedly elite just go lame once they get here over the last 12 years.

So, at this point, IDGAF how many stars these guys have. Just bring in guys that WANT TO put in the work to be BAMF'ers and put this program back at the top.

Time will tell if giving a guy out of high school over $1M before playing a college snap will be a wise investment or not. Or maybe said player will mail it in. I'd rather my bullets go to proven portal talent.

Have a good season, close out some of the remaining targets, find some late diamonds in the rough, keep the current guys in the boat... then on to big game hunting in the portal.

All the while, I will sit here and hope this bag game majestically blows up in Aggy face because there are going to be a lot of mouths to feed and expectations that are still unlikely to be met.

Negged

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Just curious. Do we have the worst $9.95 guys in the industry? Because they suck.

I will direct your attention to Texags + the indomitable Taylor Hamm sir. I will also direct you to that chucklefuck guy from Baylor a couple years back who puts in crystal balls every time someone visits.

You got negged into oblivion because you think it’s easy for this staff to just snap their fingers and get all 8 of our uncommitted targets on campus at the same time. 

Should the staff have just invited a bunch of uncommitted prospects they have no interest in to try to generate “momentum”? There are a select few spots left in this class. Thinking we didn’t push for these guys to come to campus is dumb. We pushed for all of Hill, Gullette, Toviano, etc to show up. They didn’t. That’s life. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

For real. If you want to complain about our boosters having better stuff to spend their money on than $1.5mm for a high school athlete, I better see receipts that you're participating in every single NIL opportunity UT has. Tbh, what a terrible use of money even if you have it - go house some homeless people or something ffs.

The thing to complain about is that A&M boosters are such desperate weirdos that they're willing to do what they're doing.

patrick.jpg

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

You got negged into oblivion because you think it’s easy for this staff to just snap their fingers and get all 8 of our uncommitted targets on campus at the same time. 

Should the staff have just invited a bunch of uncommitted prospects they have no interest in to try to generate “momentum”? There are a select few spots left in this class. Thinking we didn’t push for these guys to come to campus is dumb. We pushed for all of Hill, Gullette, Toviano, etc to show up. They didn’t. That’s life. 

Fair enough but I never went down this "woah the sky is falling" trail.

Fair enough but I never went down this "woah the sky is falling" trail.

All good.

This isn’t like previous cycles. We took care of our shit early this year and will have the class almost complete by the time the ball kicks off a month from now. We didn’t need gimmick pool parties to create momentum.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, FunkSoulBrother said:

We want the best incoming portal class

This is what everybody wants. Are we better positioned for these players than Alabama, tOSU, A&M, Florida, Miami, USC, Oregon, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Penn State, and Nebraska? Only time will tell. But, the bidding should go down similar to high school recruits other than portal guys are less likely to fall for bullshit and are more interested in choosing a school that will put them in the league.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If I’m being honest, and I typically try to, if we are going to spend 7 figured I don’t want it to be a high school LB I’d much prefer a rising junior edge  in a contract year looking to total 15 sacks or something crazy. 

You do bring up an interesting point. How dumb are some of these bagmen going to feel when they shelled out 6 or 7 figures for a guy, and then that guy doesn’t develop, transfers out, or otherwise flames out. Frankly, the huge upfront payments actually contribute to the miss chances. How hard did you feel like working in the days weeks or months after you got the largest paycheck of your life? Especially if said paycheck was multiple years salary. Handing an 18 year old kid who comes from a disadvantaged background a million dollars is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by Vertigo

Just now, Vertigo said:

You do bring up an interesting point. How dumb are some of these bagmen going to feel when they shelled out 6 or 7 figures for a guy, and then that guy doesn’t develop, transfers out, or otherwise flames out. Frankly, the huge upfront payments actually contribute to the miss chances. How hard did you feel like working in the days weeks or months after you got the largest paycheck of your life? Especially if said paycheck was multiple years salary.

I mean the money they make now pales in comparison to what they make if they develop and go high in the draft to the league, but yeah- giving an 18 year old 7 figures could dim the fire for some 18 year olds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

You do bring up an interesting point. How dumb are some of these bagmen going to feel when they shelled out 6 or 7 figures for a guy, and then that guy doesn’t develop, transfers out, or otherwise flames out. Frankly, the huge upfront payments actually contribute to the miss chances. How hard did you feel like working in the days weeks or months after you got the largest paycheck of your life? Especially if said paycheck was multiple years salary. Handing an 18 year old kid who comes from a disadvantaged background a million dollars is a recipe for disaster.

I thought these deals were doled out over seasons, so kids can't just take the money and transfer in year two. Is it really cash up front?

1 minute ago, mwaadeeb said:

I thought these deals were doled out over seasons, so kids can't just take the money and transfer in year two. Is it really cash up front?

I admittedly know next to nothing about the process, but you’d have to think it isn’t. I also don’t know how players protect themselves and get the money “guaranteed” over time either though. Contracts for illegal shit don’t mean anything.

Just now, Schulz2.0 said:

Are you seriously complaining about us landing Tapp, Finkley, Burke, Brown, and Swanson at DE last cycle? You seem angry because you don't seem to have a good handle on what the fuck has and is going on.

I guess if I see a pass rush and us holding up at the edge, I'll change my opinion. Those are big ifs, though. We threw numbers at the problem last year and we can see if they pan out but there is a big gap between our crazy good o-line class and what we got at edge. With that said, I think we probably did as well as we could have considering our defense on the field performance and not much NIL money for edge in 2021. I think Mathis was a pretty big miss, though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 3

18 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

No doubt many of them are, but I could see aggy being desperate enough to have dropped a minimum of 375k at the pool party to him.

16 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

You’re most likely looking at a 4 year amount + commit/signing bonus.

Let’s just say the $1.5 mill is accurate. With the desperation aggy needed to land Hill, I’d imagine it’s structured something like this: 

1) $50k commitment 

2) $250k Signed NIL

3) $300k per scholly year 

$1.5 is the max deal, but player would have to play out 4 years to obtain the full amount. $300k “up front” incentivizes player to pull trigger, with $50k being the “good faith” delivery upon committing 

3 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Average recruit ranking under Sark using the 247 composite for incoming freshman and transfers at their assumed position (assuming everyone committed stays + Baxter, Hale, and Matthews who seem like silents)

QB: 0.9764 (Ewers, Manning, Muhammad)

RB: 0.935 (Baxter, Wisner, Blue)

WR: 0.9256 (Worthy, Cook, Niblett, Hale, Wilson, Red, Milton, Hall, Neyor, Thompson)

TE: 0.8912 (Billingsley, Randle, Shannon)

OL: 0.9143 (Campbell, Banks, Umeozulu, Agbo, Hutson, Williams, Robertson, Cojoe, Goosby, Stroh, Kirkland, Chatman)

DL: 0.91067 (Bledsoe, Ross, Swanson, Bryant, Mitchell, Spencer) 

Edge: 0.9152 (Tapp, Finkley, Brown, Burke, Walton)

LB: 0.8908 (Tucker-Dorsey, Johnson, Lefau, Burrell)

Safety: 0.9533 (Turner-Gooden, Jordan, Allen, Johnson, Williams)

Corner: 0.9308 (Matthews, Muhammad, Watts, Brice, Guilbeau, Brooks)

For whoever was saying look at every other position

6 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Average recruit ranking under Sark using the 247 composite for incoming freshman and transfers at their assumed position (assuming everyone committed stays + Baxter, Hale, and Matthews who seem like silents)

QB: 0.9764 (Ewers, Manning, Muhammad)

RB: 0.935 (Baxter, Wisner, Blue)

WR: 0.9256 (Worthy, Cook, Niblett, Hale, Wilson, Red, Milton, Hall, Neyor, Thompson)

TE: 0.8912 (Billingsley, Randle, Shannon)

OL: 0.9143 (Campbell, Banks, Umeozulu, Agbo, Hutson, Williams, Robertson, Cojoe, Goosby, Stroh, Kirkland, Chatman)

DL: 0.91067 (Bledsoe, Ross, Swanson, Bryant, Mitchell, Spencer) 

Edge: 0.9152 (Tapp, Finkley, Brown, Burke, Walton)

LB: 0.8908 (Tucker-Dorsey, Johnson, Lefau, Burrell)

Safety: 0.9533 (Turner-Gooden, Jordan, Allen, Johnson, Williams)

Corner: 0.9308 (Matthews, Muhammad, Watts, Brice, Guilbeau, Brooks)

For whoever was saying look at every other position

Missing K. Robinson from RB

3 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Damnit, RB becomes 0.91625

Forgot Richardson and Oghoufo too who don't even have a transfer ranking

Their composite brings LB to a 0.8777

or did you? You said list was for incoming freshmen and transfers. Those guys (and KRob) are neither. But then again neither is Worthy and he's listed. 

Edited by TommyGufano

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

or did you? You said list was for incoming freshmen and transfers. Those guys (and KRob) are neither. But then again neither is Worthy and he's listed. 

Ovie, Richardson, KRob, and Worthy were from the 21 page and Worthy is egregiosly more memorable than them. It's not that deep.