Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Am I the only one who thinks Shannon is bread? I don't understand the take, tbh. 

Shannon isn't bread.  He's 6'7 240 lbs and  will probably add 20 or so more lbs when he gets in a college S&C program.  He plays in-line a bunch and does a lot of blocking and can make plays in the passing game.  Of all the 3*'s we have he's the one who should be a 4* no doubt.  IDK if he doesn't do camps or ran a slow 40 somewhere, but he's a great get.  He's the type of TE that Iowa State has had the last few years.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Shannon isn't bread.  He's 6'7 240 lbs and  will probably add 20 or so more lbs when he gets in a college S&C program.  He plays in-line a bunch and does a lot of blocking and can make plays in the passing game.  Of all the 3*'s we have he's the one who should be a 4* no doubt.  IDK if he doesn't do camps or ran a slow 40 somewhere, but he's a great get.

Appreciate the response 

9 hours ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Average recruit ranking under Sark using the 247 composite for incoming freshman and transfers at their assumed position (assuming everyone committed stays + Baxter, Hale, and Matthews who seem like silents)

QB: 0.9764 (Ewers, Manning, Muhammad)

RB: 0.935 (Baxter, Wisner, Blue)

WR: 0.9256 (Worthy, Cook, Niblett, Hale, Wilson, Red, Milton, Hall, Neyor, Thompson)

TE: 0.8912 (Billingsley, Randle, Shannon)

OL: 0.9143 (Campbell, Banks, Umeozulu, Agbo, Hutson, Williams, Robertson, Cojoe, Goosby, Stroh, Kirkland, Chatman)

DL: 0.91067 (Bledsoe, Ross, Swanson, Bryant, Mitchell, Spencer) 

Edge: 0.9152 (Tapp, Finkley, Brown, Burke, Walton)

LB: 0.8908 (Tucker-Dorsey, Johnson, Lefau, Burrell)

Safety: 0.9533 (Turner-Gooden, Jordan, Allen, Johnson, Williams)

Corner: 0.9308 (Matthews, Muhammad, Watts, Brice, Guilbeau, Brooks)

For whoever was saying look at every other position

Huh?

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Am I the only one who thinks Shannon is bread? I don't understand the take, tbh. 

He is  blocking TE. Those guys are never appreciated. They do the dirty work that recruiting analysts and fans overlook. Ask Longhorn fans to name a Texas TE that played 7 years in NFL, how many do you think would say Geoff Swaim? 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

He is  blocking TE. Those guys are never appreciated. They do the dirty work that recruiting analysts and fans overlook. Ask Longhorn fans to name a Texas TE that played 7 years in NFL, how many do you think would say Geoff Swaim? 

Me, but probably not many unless they're hardcore fans. I guess I just assumed he was taking him to make inroads at Mater Di since his son plays there, but yeah, I didn't appreciate the take until y'all explained it to me, which I appreciate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Jermichael Finley would have been my guess. Spinal injury derailed his career. 6 years for him. 

Edited by Mr. Mojo Risin'

1 minute ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

Jermichael Finley would have been my guess. Spinal injury derailed his career. 6 years for him. 

He is signed for this year, so it will continue. Just highlighting how fans and even Texas get excited about TEs that rarely put their hand in the dirt in HS, but the results have not been great. Sark’s offense needs a TE w/ the ability to block 

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Very poor choice of wording in this post (e.g., "bread") and it sounds like something you would otherwise see in the aggy screenshot circlejerk thread. You could have simply asked what role would Shannon play. 

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Swaim is listed as 6'4" 260. If Shannon is 6'6"-6'7" and ~240 lbs or so, he can easily get to the 260 lb mark. Having that type of TE is a great boost to an OL.

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/team/players-roster/geoff-swaim/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Swaim

Unless of course Shannon keeps growing into an OL. With a frame that large, it is realistically possible. But he's not a bad take for his currently intended role.

9 hours ago, Fumbles said:

For the people who keep saying the Thursday BBQ was "haphazardly thrown together" or that the coaches took a vacation instead of recruiting, what is it exactly that you wish the coaches would have done?  Hired Mossad to kidnap the recruits we want and bring them to campus?  Promised hookers and blow at the pool party?  

We've offered and have maintained contact with 5 Star Damon Wilson from Florida, 4 star Tausili Akana from Utah, 4 star Braylan Shelby, 4 star Derion Gullette, and 4 star Colton Vasek.

In Mack's time, we wouldn't have dreamed of recruiting anyone outside of the state of Texas.  Wilson?  Akana?  Never getting a phone call from us.  Mack was also incredibly careful with offers to keep his commit-to-offer ratio high, so he wouldn't have even offered any of these guys if he didn't know for sure they were going to commit first.  Shelby?  Gullette?  Probably don't even have offers right now in Mack's day.  

Charlie Strong would have peppered them all with offers and then the moment any of the recruitments seemed difficult, he would have committed all efforts to 3 stars from Florida that his awful staff couldn't develop.  Herman would have already forgotten their names.

Is this staff perfect?  No.  Obviously, they still have a lot to prove on the field.  But I can't believe I'm reading these shit takes about their effort on the recruiting trail.  We've got a top-5 recruiting class with 20 commits in July after a 5-7 season.  How are people unhappy with this?   

If the question is do I want our coaches offering recruits hookers and blow the answer is always yes. That and women romancing each other. Always. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Bo Scaife gets no love

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He is signed for this year, so it will continue. Just highlighting how fans and even Texas get excited about TEs that rarely put their hand in the dirt in HS, but the results have not been great. Sark’s offense needs a TE w/ the ability to block 

This offense will run the 12 package at least 1/3 of the snaps. Having a TE known for blocking ability is essential to the gameplan. Landing Duce to pair with Shannon would be ideal but having guys that can block and be a checkdown option is more the norm for Sark. 

Just caught up on the last 6 pages and it feels like I just lost a fucking bet with someone. Very BO&W post just reinforced the onset of him in a dark corner and rocking himself, repeating “have to drop the bags” repeatedly. It’s like watching a toddler old throw a tantrum while everyone else tried their best to ignore them, 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Pete Lammons.  Played 6 years for the New York Jets (including winning a Super Bowl) and 1 year with the Green Bay Packers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

“Now show me the rest of the defense and the offense.”

like our embarrassment of riches on offense and much improved DL and Secondary recruiting in the last 2 cycles? Hmm. 

You're trying to discuss these things rationally with a guy that's argued this in the last month. 

Texas should fire David Pierce, Texas sucks in football because they finished 1st in the Directors Cup, and Texas should "drop bags" even though NIL has helped Texas produce a top 5 class coming off a 5-7 season. 

I'm convinced he's either a 13 year old or a moron to the highest degree. Lets hope it's the former. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You're trying to discuss these things rationally with a guy that's argued this in the last month. 

Texas should fire David Pierce, Texas sucks in football because they finished 1st in the Directors Cup, and Texas should "drop bags" even though NIL has helped Texas produce a top 5 class coming off a 5-7 season. 

I'm convinced he's either a 13 year old or a moron to the highest degree. Lets hope it's the former. 

Never said he should be fired but I don’t think he’s a coach that will win a title at Texas. 

no reason we shouldn’t be dropping bags and have strong NIL. Literally no reason at all in the current ncaa climate. 

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

no reason we shouldn’t be dropping bags and have strong NIL. Literally no reason at all in the current ncaa climate. 

I don’t know how many times and ways it needs to be said to you that we have strong NIL.

You either refuse to accept it because it doesn’t fit the narrative you made up in your mind or you continue to ignore the people who know telling you are wrong.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don’t know how many times and ways it needs to be said to you that we have strong NIL.

You either refuse to accept it because it doesn’t fit the narrative you made up in your mind or you continue to ignore the people who know telling you are wrong.

I literally said we had strong nil…..I said there is no reason not to do both. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I literally said we had strong nil…..I said there is no reason not to do both. 

You've completely missed the point which is on brand for you. 

As CTJ said earlier in the thread, you don't abandon what's working because 1 recruit was bought with bags. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who said abandon? I said do both. 

You're still missing the point. Texas is trying to maximize NIL. That's their approach and it's working for the most part. 

You keep using this "I said do both" when Texas is all in on NIL. It's been beat to death on this board why NIL is the better long-term play than bags but for whatever reason you continue to be a moron about it. 

The toddler description is a perfect description of you. Texas loses one recruit and you want to change how Texas is operating even though they have a top 5 class. Are you capable of thinking big picture or is that too difficult for you? 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You're still missing the point. Texas is trying to maximize NIL. That's their approach and it's working for the most part. 

You keep using this "I said do both" when Texas is all in on NIL. It's been beat to death on this board why NIL is the better long-term play than bags but for whatever reason you continue to be a moron about it. 

The toddler description is a perfect description of you. Texas loses one recruit and you want to change how Texas is operating even though they have a top 5 class. Are you capable of thinking big picture or is that too difficult for you? 

Yet I the bags are still an important part now. Continue to build. Do both. Fastest and easiest way to turn this around. We had the worst linebacker unit in the big 12. His is one of the best LBs the state has had in a few years. Losing him to bags should never happen and we should be able to counter without own. SEC will be an eye opener once the teams were competing against in recruits start putting up results they can point to

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yet I the bags are still an important part now. Continue to build. Do both. Fastest and easiest way to turn this around 

People who have 1M to spend on their favorite past time/passion - don't do it to go to jail,  or even to have to think about how their lawyers need to keep them clean especially if there is a viable, alternative approach that accomplishes the same impact and keeps them clear.  I think this has been CTJ's point about the bags will continue to get smaller as viable alternatives emerge.  The fact that aggy is the last of the big money boosters to get this shouldn't be lost on anyone. 

• Hook 'Em 1