Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

It netted Georgia a national title. 

You can't possibly be this dumb? The landscape has changed in the last year and even Georgia looks like they're now pivoting to NIL. 

https://theathletic.com/news/georgia-football-kirby-smart/eman5S1LjC3G/

Spoiler

“Trust me, there’s a lot there,” Smart said. “We arguably, I don’t know for a fact, had the highest-paid defensive lineman (Jordan Davis), the highest-paid tight end (Brock Bowers) and probably the highest-paid corner (Kelee Ringo) in the NIL market. Because after the national championship, there’s three guys there that just exploded.”

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yet I the bags are still an important part now. Continue to build. Do both. Fastest and easiest way to turn this around. We had the worst linebacker unit in the big 12. His is one of the best LBs the state has had in a few years. Losing him to bags should never happen and we should be able to counter without own. SEC will be an eye opener once the teams were competing against in recruits start putting up results they can point to

If you do bags, that's however many millions of dollars that don't put into NIL. That's fine if you truly think NIL won't destroy the bag game or make it largely irrelevant, otherwise it's an idiotic move. 

Narrator: it's an idiotic move. 

People who have 1M to spend on their favorite past time/passion - don't do it to go to jail,  or even to have to think about how their lawyers need to keep them clean especially if there is a viable, alternative approach that accomplishes the same impact and keeps them clear.  I think this has been CTJ's point about the bags will continue to get smaller as viable alternatives emerge.  The fact that aggy is the last of the big money boosters to get this shouldn't be lost on anyone. 

Username checks out
  • Haha 4

He is  blocking TE. Those guys are never appreciated. They do the dirty work that recruiting analysts and fans overlook. Ask Longhorn fans to name a Texas TE that played 7 years in NFL, how many do you think would say Geoff Swaim? 

Swaim isn’t very obscure because there are a ton of Cowboys fans on this board.

24 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Everybody is bringing up bags but Hill is a special case. Yeah they dropped the bags but they also were pretty much the leader his whole recruitment so it was a place he was interested in before whatever bad he got offered to shut it down. He didn’t give Texas a chance to match offer cause truthfully that’s where he/his family always wanted to go. It’s some people on here who know the inside story with the family and confirm this, his family had doubts about the Texas defense based on what they saw last year. They worried about DLine play. Aggie were able to sell him on having nothing but five stars in front of him to keep him clean. Give the staff credit for getting back in the recruitment cause in the spring they were an after thought. Texas’ only chance was to keep the recruitment open for as long as possible to show some improvement in the DLIne that they told the family about. 

The Texas NIL pitch has been a game changer. It won’t win every recruitment but it has allowed us to get into some recruitments we would have never been able to in the past especially after the season we just had. 

If Texas was coming off an 9-3 season this class would be crazy but the truth is we are a 5-7 team until we show otherwise. Still looking like a great class with multiple 5 stars. After we win 9 this year the field will be even more tilted our way with the NIL doing it’s part. 

This. Y’all are insufferable cunts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You've completely missed the point which is on brand for you. 

As CTJ said earlier in the thread, you don't abandon what's working because 1 recruit was bought with bags. 

Thank you and CTJ for allowing me to stay out of this discussion. This is kind of like looking at the Saturn V and saying we should put propellers on it to maximize launch acceleration.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

We'll see if Gullette joins the absolute flood of top players whom have already committed to A&M this weekend. 

If they let him jump in the rooftop pool and have some leftover "BBQ" chicken in a bowl of congealed butter, we're toast.

Edited by RomaVicta
Proper noun since Hookem 2147 fucked up the post order goddamn him!

41 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Everybody is bringing up bags but Hill is a special case. Yeah they dropped the bags but they also were pretty much the leader his whole recruitment so it was a place he was interested in before whatever bad he got offered to shut it down. He didn’t give Texas a chance to match offer cause truthfully that’s where he/his family always wanted to go. It’s some people on here who know the inside story with the family and confirm this, his family had doubts about the Texas defense based on what they saw last year. They worried about DLine play. Aggie were able to sell him on having nothing but five stars in front of him to keep him clean. Give the staff credit for getting back in the recruitment cause in the spring they were an after thought. Texas’ only chance was to keep the recruitment open for as long as possible to show some improvement in the DLIne that they told the family about. 

The Texas NIL pitch has been a game changer. It won’t win every recruitment but it has allowed us to get into some recruitments we would have never been able to in the past especially after the season we just had. 

If Texas was coming off an 9-3 season this class would be crazy but the truth is we are a 5-7 team until we show otherwise. Still looking like a great class with multiple 5 stars. After we win 9 this year the field will be even more tilted our way with the NIL doing it’s part. 

Good post. We were way out of it with Hill coming into the spring. Basically it seems like our $9.95ers way overstated our chances after we got his attention, just like they did several times last year. Makes sense, they're incentivized to do so. Commits tweeting at him and about him basically means zero.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We should be all over Ashley Williams. Kid is a baller.

His 247 offer list is weird. Nebraska, Auburn, FSU, us (?), then a bunch of crap. Obviously we need to kick the tires on any edge (EDGE!) with a pulse right now.

Of the really big money donors I’ve met from Texas and Texas A&M over the years, I’ve noticed distinct personalities. The Texas guys just didn’t seem like the type to want to get wrapped up in bag drops. The A&M guys, on the other hand… maybe it’s just the small sample size. Nevertheless, it makes WAY more sense right now to try to win with NIL and not the other b.s. for multiple reasons. 

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

AA30C7F6-780A-4746-BEC1-591861FBA04C.thumb.png.0ee31a9127f360ae785e86980724bcc7.png

It must suck being a 9.95er, people just make shit up. “Everyone” never said Hill was a Texas lock. Couple recruits tweeted that shit, but not the 9.95 crowd. Even the most optimistic thought Texas had a slight lead

What Perroni said about Gullette in the visit notes he dropped a few minutes ago

-Marlin four-star linebacker Derion Gullette told us yesterday that he would be in town on Sunday and he ended up making it this morning. Texas was thought to have a big lead after his official there but A&M has chipped away and this one could go either way.

Just now, Codaxx said:

It must suck being a 9.95er, people just make shit up. “Everyone” never said Hill was a Texas lock. Couple recruits tweeted that shit, but not the 9.95 crowd. Even the most optimistic thought Texas had a slight lead

I never saw one mod say Hill was a Texas lock. Now I have no idea what the refueled said but it was always cautious optimism on Hill from the 9.95er side.

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Of the really big money donors I’ve met from Texas and Texas A&M over the years, I’ve noticed distinct personalities. The Texas guys just didn’t seem like the type to want to get wrapped up in bag drops. The A&M guys, on the other hand… maybe it’s just the small sample size. Nevertheless, it makes WAY more sense right now to try to win with NIL and not the other b.s. for multiple reasons. 

The aggies are like little league parents with Downs Syndrome.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bevo said:

That's probably Jordan Matthews.

I mean, it's August 5th so no he probably means Gullette. Of course, he could be wrong about who Gullette chooses though.

Also, based on previous reporting and Cook's tweet to Gullete yesterday "don't switch up" I'm guessing Gullette has previously told people he's choosing Texas. Which again, could be changed by an Aggie bag today.