Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

44 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

We need patterson to do his magic and have a diff position player move to LB and ball out.
I mean wasnt that his fortay at tcu? Moving players around to diff positions and it working out pretty good?
Yeah ok, i will stfu

*forte 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Our complete lack of lb recruiting is what made hall so important...

We have two high level LB’s committed right now. Hill was supposed to be the final piece and we wanted him bad, but he’s not even true a 3-down off ball LB at the next level.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Our complete lack of lb recruiting is what made hall so important...

JFC, let it go. Enough of this got damn whiny ass bullshit. For fuck’s sake, stop rehashing the same fucking crybaby garbage, you bunch of mewling quims. 

Thanks in advance for your cooperation in this matter… 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

JFC, let it go. Enough of this got damn whiny ass bullshit. For fuck’s sake, stop rehashing the same fucking crybaby garbage, you bunch of mewling quims. 

Thanks in advance for your cooperation in this matter… 

Hi ... Loki?

Mewling Quim This Is My Bargain GIF - Mewling Quim This Is My Bargain Loki  - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 3

Justin Wells: Perspective, have some

Prized linebacker Derion Gullette made it to College Station today. You would think with Anthony Hill committing to A&M on Saturday Gullette would be an even bigger need for Texas, but that’s not really how I look at it. Gullette is a much different fit. If he is able to stay at off-ball linebacker he’ll play the De’Marvion Overshwon Will position with a healthy dose of edge rushing. S’Maje Burrell is more of the Hill fit, but Liona Lefau could potentially play there as well. I’m not minimizing the Hill loss, just saying he and Gullette are different players.

Gullette is a bigger need to me because of Edge recruiting. The program desperately needs pass rushers in the class and it also needs to hit on two of the Edges in the previous class (probably J’Mond Tapp and Ethan Burke. Justice Finkley profiles more towards setting a hard edge, but he will also create some pressure due to motor.)

Circling back to Gullette, it’s hard to square him missing the Texas event on Thursday but making it to College Station on Sunday. Maybe the car issue was more real than originally thought (though I feel naive for even typing that). We picked up on him not wanting to be around fellow recruits while being hobbled. Maybe that’s why he ended up in CS on a less busy Sunday rather than Saturday? Not sure, but him visiting the Ags is going to leave even steel-spined UT fans concerned. Everyone has August 10th circled for running back Cedric Baxter, but August 5th could be the day for Gullette to announce.

One thing that irks me every cycle is too many posters don’t retain any knowledge from the previous cycle. This leads to emotional posting that is frankly embarrassing to read. What we learned last cycle should be reassuring for this cycle, especially given the much better position UT finds itself year over year. They are going to stay on key targets through the whistle and they are not going to reach for plan C’s.

“Where’s the July pool party momentum????”

Were you alive for June 23rd through mid-July? Texas went on a damn near historic rip and pulled prospects forward. Recruits who might have lingered towards the start of the season before deciding pulled the trigger in the aftermath of Arch picking UT. Would you have preferred Arch announce on July 23rd so you could have your ’event momentum’? Call me crazy, but the timing before the final official visit weekend seemed to work out pretty well.

”Why was the July party on a Thursday???”

Because anyone who has ever worked a miserable day in their life knows that’s when the weekend really starts. But seriously, as we reported, the pool party was for the current players as well. It was the last program obligation for the players before returning for camp. If UT would have landed a prized commit from the event, those who are now calling the timing a failure would have said, “family atmosphere, brilliant!” It also gives the coaches a chance to take a few days off before the start of camp.

”The coaches had all of July off….”

No, they didn’t. They had the week of the 4th off and that’s it. And whether they’re on or off, they’re always recruiting via phone, text, and FaceTime. They were also working with the team. These guys lived in the office during the month. The first wave of recruiting momentum was a major success but it has been running out of steam for a while. Sure, you’d like to see a couple more guys in the boat before the season begins. Guys like Baxter, Jordan Matthews, and hopefully Gullette remain possible, if not likely.

Would you rather have ’momentum gets’ or guys like these three that would illustrate exceptional recruiting ability? Pulling the No 1 running back in the nation, and he’s from Florida. Pulling a top corner out of LSU’s backyard, in part because you got a great jump on the evaluation. Holding off A&M head to head, if it happens. That’s heady stuff. We’ve said there are two ways for Texas to light up the recruiting scoreboard. The first one was to land Arch and that couldn’t have gone much better. The second one is to play well on the field. Do both and the finish to 2023 and the start to 2024 is going to be next level.

The Texas coaches are going to have to come by the next momentum boost honestly on the field. It’s time to put points on the board and put the average teams away early. It’s time to hang with Alabama. It’s time to beat OU. It’s time to contend for the Big 12 championship. Do all that and fans’ fears regarding recruiting will look even more hilarious than they currently do.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Encouraging

All this means is that things went according to plan. Gullette didn’t commit and will give Texas a chance to counter, as requested. 

Can the aggies post stupid shit for more than just one guy? I think so. Will they on a guy with a leg injury that isn’t a lean ranked much lower than guys like Hill, Hicks, and Nelson? I’m iffy. Should be interesting. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Never said he should be fired but I don’t think he’s a coach that will win a title at Texas. 

no reason we shouldn’t be dropping bags and have strong NIL. Literally no reason at all in the current ncaa climate. 

Mack Brown cannot win a championship.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

All this means is that things went according to plan. Gullette didn’t commit and will give Texas a chance to counter, as requested. 

Can the aggies post stupid shit for more than just one guy? I think so. Will they on a guy with a leg injury that isn’t a lean ranked much lower than guys like Hill, Hicks, and Nelson? I’m iffy. Should be interesting. 

What's the Nelson rumored figure? 10 mil?

13 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Colton Vasek

- Decision may come early/mid August.  OU.

This one bothers me more than Hill.  Not because he’s better than Hill but because backyard legacy.  OU can’t be regularly coming into Centex and taking players good enough to play in the SEC.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This one bothers me more than Hill.  Not because he’s better than Hill but because backyard legacy.  OU can’t be regularly coming into Centex and taking players good enough to play in the SEC.  

Eh. You never know who is looking for an opportunity to go somewhere new for college.  Can/does work in our favor sometimes too. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Must we do this? Also, OU is going to the SEC

28 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Bobby ended with "Texas could be looking at 2-3-4 or even 5 commitment over the next week or two depending on whom Texas goes after ... "  

That's Baxter and Matthews. Gullette is a question mark. Hale is a later decision. No idea who 4 and 5 could be: Probably just $9.95 hype.

28 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

We are on month 7 now of him looking for a reason to not come to Texas. The guy wants to get away and it’s obvious. 

55 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

This is kind of a dumb way of looking at it. It’s not always an advantage to be in the city where a kid grew up. The #74 player in the whole country plays in Norman, OK and he’s committed to MSU right now.