Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

I know he hates his dad but why can’t he rebel like most kids.  Do drugs or get a face tattoo but to go to OU?  That’s some serious hate for the old man.  Bad news for dad is drugs and face tattoos are a right of passage in Norman so he’ll be hitting the trifecta.  Don’t have an issue with a kid wanting to get away from his parents but OU is a spite move.  

Well Casey Thompson did the same thing to his dad and we didn’t complain. Maybe at least Vasek’s dad will shit talk OU on Twitter while he’s there, to keep things fair before his kid transfers to Nebraska 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Well Casey Thompson did the same thing to his dad and we didn’t complain. Maybe at least Vasek’s dad will shit talk OU on Twitter while he’s there, to keep things fair before his kid transfers to Nebraska 

Casey Thompson did it to his dad twice. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

When did this “official offer” stuff start? Is that a new thing this year?

Long time ago. Happened since I started following recruiting. All of the offers are just handshake things until August 1st (though of course you can still drop them if they have a shitty senior season - it's meaningless in practice).

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Long time ago. Happened since I started following recruiting. All of the offers are just handshake things until August 1st (though of course you can still drop them if they have a shitty senior season - it's meaningless in practice).

Interesting. I just hadn’t ever seen the coaches speak about the players by name publicly before signing day.

8 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

When did this “official offer” stuff start? Is that a new thing this year?

It’s basically just an opportunity for coaches to shoot themselves in the foot by having to spell the players’ names. 

Still can’t believe Charlie whiffed on Roland Jones. He was so organized and all over that recruitment. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

image.thumb.png.496c56c0b721d327a4f190bc13e17da9.png

Jalen Hale pick from this morning, never heard of this guy. Does he know anything? 

Hopefully not. I still have a hard time believing the staff actually has one spot left at WR that’s for either Hale or MHP. Hale seems like he’s a completely different level of prospect IMO. It’s hard to say without testing numbers and Hale may have some question marks off the field, but Hale just flat out seems clearly better on the field and the caliber of schools recruiting him back that up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Hopefully not. I still have a hard time believing the staff actually has one spot left at WR that’s for either Hale or MHP. Hale seems like he’s a completely different level of prospect IMO. It’s hard to say without testing numbers and Hale may have some question marks off the field, but Hale just flat out seems clearly better on the field and the caliber of schools recruiting him back that up. 

Hale's athleticism has been questioned by analysts. I believe the quote from Gerry was "he is a better football player, than athlete". I think his lack of top end speed has many questioning his upside. 

Justin Wells:

5 minutes ago

New

Add bookmark

Inside Texas was on the road this morning to see former Marlin, current Teague (Texas) linebacker Derion Gullette.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound On3 four-star is nursing an ACL injury that’ll keep him out of action his senior year. While he’d love to join his new teammates for 2022, the early enrollee understands the bigger picture; get healthy for Jan. 2023.

Our conversation:

IT: Your recruitment is coming down to the wire, and you’re getting close to that (August 5) date. Three schools left, and let’s go through those schools. You went to Texas A&M on Sunday. Tell me about that trip and what you took from that?

DG: That trip, it was more getting to talk to the coaches and learn more about the school as I get down to crunch time. For me, it was good because I had some big takeaways. Most definitely looking into their broadcast journalism major, because that’s something I want to pursue when football is over with. That was really good for me to see that, it opened my eyes on some things, also.

IT: What would you say were a few other things that opened your eyes?

DG: Talking with (Tyler) Santucci, because we always have heart to heart conversations. Sometimes he doesn’t even mention recruiting. He tells me all the time ‘I want to coach you, but I’m not going to pressure you to commit at any time.’ It’s always just good for me, building that relationship with him. I also talked with (DJ) Durkin, we went over some football stuff like formations they’d be running, names, coverages, and stuff like that, then where he also sees me fitting in his defense and playing. Then, also talked to Jimbo (Fisher). He was trying to see where my head was at, making sure my mental health was right dealing with the stuff that I’m going through.

IT: Where do they envision you in their defense?

DG: They like the dime (hybrid linebacker/safety) position.

IT: On Texas, you weren’t able to get to the pool party on Thursday. You took an official to Texas about a month ago, you’re still talking to them, and you FaceTimed them during the pool party. Where are you with Texas right now?

DG: I have a very good relationship with Texas right now, and they’re really high on my list. I love talking to Coach (Jeff) Choate, he’s a great guy and I always have had a great relationship with him. Every conversation we have is about how am I doing, how is he doing, stuff like that. He was checking up on me and my family, so that was really big for me to see. Also, I’ve got a great relationship with Coach (Chris) Gilbert. He’s funny, he’s a really funny dude. He calls me every other day, just hitting me up. Like ‘ay dude, you good?’ He just keeps hitting me up. Also, Coach Sark. I have a great relationship with Coach Sark. He means real well. He’s real genuine. You can tell he really cares about you as more of a person than just a player. That was really big for me also.

IT: Coach Gilbert called you at 12:00 a.m. when he gave you your official offer to make sure you were the first call on his list. Does that have significance for you?

DG: It showed me, I know I have a good relationship with him, but it’s still him taking that extra step to prove it, to show you that he’s really genuine and really cares about you. That’s real big.

IT: Tell me about Ohio State and why they’re still in the mix.

DG: I have a great relationship with Coach Matt Guerrieri, and also a lot of the players that go to school up there. Also, Coach Koy (McFarland), Coach Koy is real funny. When I went on my official up there, he started putting on the helmet, suited up, and taking pictures and stuff, too. Coach Matt Guerrieri, he also hits me up every other day giving me more information on how I can be a better linebacker. Just trying to help me out mentally and physically.

IT: With your dad being a coach, how much has that helped you in this recruiting process?

DG: I always say it’s helped me a lot because growing up, as he coached the players that were recruited too, it helped me see that at a young age this is what I want to do. This is what you’ve got to go through to get there, to do it. That’s something that I keep with me. He keeps me on the right track. He guides me on the right path.

IT: Johntay Cook, he’s coming at you.

DG: That’s my guy.

IT: He said you played some AAU basketball with him and Malik Muhammad growing up?

DG: We were 9 or 10. We were playing on a team called Showtime in Dallas, Cedar Hill.

IT: Do you still have that relationship with him? How much do you hear from Cook?

DG: Now? Like every other day. He’s my guy, though.

IT: Do the Texas A&M commits come at you as much as those Texas recruits do?

DG: Not like that. Not that crazy.

IT: You’ve talked about August 5th being your date. Is that something you want to make a hard stance on and let that be the time you make your call?

DG: I believe that’s going to be the day I’ll do it on. August 5th.

IT: Where are you at with all three of your finalists, and where are you headed into this last decision?

DG: I feel like in the football aspect of the colleges, I feel like I can be very successful at every one of them playing linebacker. Now for me, it’s more how would they benefit me off the field in the future, and stuff like that. Again, I hear they’re saying that it’s not a four-year plan, it’s a 40-year plan. That’s something that sticks with me also. Again, I’m thinking about going into broadcast journalism, so being able to have the connection with the colleges that will benefit me and give me the longest way in that aspect after football.

The Industry Comparison shows On3 is significantly higher on Gullette than other recruiting services, though. In the most recent On300 rankings, he was tabbed as the nation’s No. 51 prospect, No. 7 EDGE and No. 8 player in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Codaxx said:

Hale's athleticism has been questioned by analysts. I believe the quote from Gerry was "he is a better football player, than athlete". I think his lack of top end speed has many questioning his upside. 

Maybe. It’s hard to know with how little info we get since Covid, but I think the fact that he has Bama, UT, A&M, and UGA all seriously recruiting him is evidence enough that he’s a really good prospect. Those same schools aren’t going after MHP. We’re competing with Cal, TCU, and UH for him. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s basically just an opportunity for coaches to shoot themselves in the foot by having to spell the players’ names. 

Still can’t believe Charlie whiffed on Roland Jones. He was so organized and all over that recruitment. 

Well, be glad he didn't forget the name of his starting QB, or the zip code of the area where he lived.

12 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Interesting. I just hadn’t ever seen the coaches speak about the players by name publicly before signing day.

Coaches aren't sending those out publicly. They are sending those in private to the recruits, then the recruits are sharing them publicly.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Maybe. It’s hard to know with how little info we get since Covid, but I think the fact that he has Bama, UT, A&M, and UGA all seriously recruiting him is evidence enough that he’s a really good prospect. Those same schools aren’t going after MHP. We’re competing with Cal, TCU, and UH for him. 

I dont get MHP, especially after Derek Williams committed. I know it a different position, but that lessened the additional benefit of positional flexibility. 

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

At least he has Alabama to fall back on since he’s not athletic enough for Texas. 

• Haha 8

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Again, I’m thinking about going into broadcast journalism, so being able to have the connection with the colleges that will benefit me and give me the longest way in that aspect after football.

Show him some Walter Cronkite footage. The kids love that. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT: Your recruitment is coming down to the wire, and you’re getting close to that (August 5) date. Three schools left, and let’s go through those schools. You went to Texas A&M on Sunday. Tell me about that trip and what you took from that?

DG: That trip, it was more getting to talk to the coaches and learn more about the school as I get down to crunch time. For me, it was good because I had some big takeaways. Most definitely looking into their broadcast journalism major, because that’s something I want to pursue when football is over with. That was really good for me to see that, it opened my eyes on some things, also.

IT: What would you say were a few other things that opened your eyes?

DG: Talking with (Tyler) Santucci, because we always have heart to heart conversations. Sometimes he doesn’t even mention recruiting. He tells me all the time ‘I want to coach you, but I’m not going to pressure you to commit at any time.’ It’s always just good for me, building that relationship with him. I also talked with (DJ) Durkin, we went over some football stuff like formations they’d be running, names, coverages, and stuff like that, then where he also sees me fitting in his defense and playing. Then, also talked to Jimbo (Fisher). He was trying to see where my head was at, making sure my mental health was right dealing with the stuff that I’m going through.

IT: Where do they envision you in their defense?

DG: They like the dime (hybrid linebacker/safety) position.

I bet they did offer him some big takeaways to open his eyes...

Also, they want him to play an LB/S hybrid? Interesting.

32 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Journalism?

Screenshot_20220801-125222_Chrome.jpg

Fuckin A, dude….fuckin A…

on one hand, we have one of the best journalism schools in the country, decade after decade. Meanwhile in dogville, it wasn’t too many moons ago aggy journalism school lost their damned accreditation….

• Hook 'Em 3