Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

You keep recruiting Shelby even if he picks USC and see if the distance eventually becomes an issue that leads him to staying closer.

Any time he comes to Austin you have to surround him with California transplants who can explain why you don’t do it the other way around 

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

If you want to be a weatherman, go to aggy. Anything else in TV, come here.

I'm a journalist and a meteorologist who went to Texas. A&M's journalism school is trash, but its meteorology department is legitimate. Some good people there. 

I have mixed feelings on Vasek. He was into Texas until they didn't put him at the top of their board, then got upset and decided he was going to go elsewhere. The Westlake contingency thinks he's significantly better than Burke, as do I. I watched him play a few times and he's pretty good (however, I wouldn't have had him at the top of the board either).

If something like not being a top priority right from the beginning is enough of an issue to cause him to not want to attend a school, it makes me wonder whether he's mentally tough enough. He should have gotten over it, committed to Texas, and then proved that Texas never should have ranked him lower on the board. Instead, he's going to skulk off to Methville. Weak mentality.

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Dbeasy said:

If something like not being a top priority right from the beginning is enough of an issue to cause him to not want to attend a school, it makes me wonder whether he's mentally tough enough. He should have gotten over it, committed to Texas, and then proved that Texas never should have ranked him lower on the board. Instead, he's going to skulk off to Methville. Weak mentality.

...or another school making him a priority means they see him as a better fit in their scheme and are more confident they can make him a good player. This works both ways.

Still, OU, fuck that.

1 minute ago, SimkinsMan said:

I'm a journalist and a meteorologist who went to Texas. A&M's journalism school is trash, but its meteorology department is legitimate. Some good people there. 

I was a member of the underground revolutionary group the weathermen. We planted bombs and killed people during the 60s and 70s while advocating the violent overthrow of the government.

No degree required… 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Csb incoming.

I wanted to be a meteorologist growing up.  In 9th grade, I wrote a letter to local met Troy Duncan.  He responded with a suggestion to go to aggy.  I gave up on meteorology on the spot.

I saw Scott Fisher at Texas games and I made a promise I'd never let my kid be a meteorlogist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DG: That trip, it was more getting to talk to the coaches and learn more about the school as I get down to crunch time. For me, it was good because I had some big takeaways. Most definitely looking into their broadcast journalism major, because that’s something I want to pursue when football is over with. That was really good for me to see that, it opened my eyes on some things, also.

Broadcast journalism?  Have you seen their adjunct professor?

Spoiler

190fa8f681c37c8515698aa70d8ae8d9.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have mixed feelings on Vasek. He was into Texas until they didn't put him at the top of their board, then got upset and decided he was going to go elsewhere. The Westlake contingency thinks he's significantly better than Burke, as do I. I watched him play a few times and he's pretty good (however, I wouldn't have had him at the top of the board either).

Meh.  Lots of high achievers used perceived slights as motivation.

43 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

I was a member of the underground revolutionary group the weathermen. We planted bombs and killed people during the 60s and 70s while advocating the violent overthrow of the government.

No degree required… 

Bill, is that you? You old crank, I didn't realize we were both big longhorn fans. It's been too long! --Jeff.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The Athletic just posted an article saying that Akana is an OU/LSU battle.

Their recruiting coverage isn't good, so no big deal, but otherwise we're stuck discussing meteorology programs.

The theme with Akana has been that no one knows anything. If The Athletic is quoting or referencing a source not at either of those schools, that's not great. Would be an otherwise weird thing to hypothesize without info. 

Just now, Codaxx said:

Just odd. I understand wanting to get away, but why would you pick a shitty education and a shitty location. I get one or the other, but not both. 

The other 2 DEs at the pool party weren't takes as DEs. I understand that many think Vasek is better than Burke, but I still have my doubts on whether he was or should have been a priority.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

The other 2 DEs at the pool party weren't takes as DEs. I understand that many think Vasek is better than Burke, but I still have my doubts on whether he was or should have been a priority.

I get that. I dont know why, but every once and awhile I get amazed at the choices kids make. Lets take Vasek as an example. He could have went for a Cal, Michigan, Stanford, Notre Dame, or Virginia education. He decided OU had better degrees. Than there is location. No need to delve into that but, that was a failure also. I know it will never change, but for some reason kids not maximizing their options annoys me every once and awhile. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I'm not trying to be a dick, but there were at least 7 grammatical errors in your post about the need for quality education. 

When my livelihood depends on writing essays or perfect messages on sports chat boards, I'll put more effort in. Ill make sure I mark Secretary off on my future aspirations. 

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I get that. I dont know why, but every once and awhile I get amazed at the choices kids make. Lets take Vasek as an example. He could have went for a Cal, Michigan, Stanford, Notre Dame, or Virginia education. He decided OU had better degrees. Than there is location. No need to delve into that but, that was a failure also. I know it will never change, but for some reason kids not maximizing their options annoys me every once and awhile. 

Did he?  I don't know the kids academic prowess or post-football plans but If he's like 90% of other recruits, he's going to go major in communications or sports & exercise science orrrr.... let's just call it what it is- major in football. 

So maybe going to a school with the 4th most CFP appearances has something to do with his choice.  I'm sure he knows his OU degree doesn't have the shine as one from Cal, Stanford, Virginia, or Dartmouth or whatever other shitty football program he would choose if his plan was to study pre-med, business, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

When my livelihood depends on writing essays or perfect messages on sports chat boards, I'll put more effort in. Ill make sure I mark Secretary off on my future aspirations. 

A post about how shitty another school's education is might be the one place I'd do a quick proofread, but that's just me. If you want to be like one of @RomaVicta's TexAgs punching bags, that's your prerogative. 

• Haha 1