Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, NevaLost said:

Getting a random degree from one of the schools you listed is not a better decision than getting a massive bag/NIL deal from an SEC school.

Your NIL deal is probably going to better at ND than at most of the SEC. In related news, Marcus Freeman is recruiting like a demon up in the Rust Belt Vatican.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

You're going to have to provide some context

This is what Osborne said at his commitment. I don't really get why its a dig. He wants to go play for Saban and be the favorite to win a National Championship every where and play against 4 and 5 stars in practice. Iron sharpens Iron. Obviously I'm a Texas homer but I don't really see what he said as a dig.

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

This is what Osborne said at his commitment. I don't really get why its a dig. He wants to go play for Saban and be the favorite to win a National Championship every where and play against 4 and 5 stars in practice. Iron sharpens Iron. Obviously I'm a Texas homer but I don't really see what he said as a dig.

It’s a dig.

It’s not unfair or not without merit, but it’s still a dig. We can provide great NIL opportunities, but we need to win to get to get to where we want to be. Great players get us there, and some won’t pick us until we win consistently… there’s the rub. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s a dig.
It’s not unfair or not without merit, but it’s still a dig. We can provide great NIL opportunities, but we need to win to get to get to where we want to be. Great players get us there, and some won’t pick us until we win consistently… there’s the rub. 

It is indeed quite the conundrum.

I decided to poke around on Akana's twitter since I had some time on my hands and he seems largely a very "keeps to himself" recruit. There's only 2 people that it seems he keeps up with a lot. Derek Jones at VT, and Jake Langi. Probably means nothings though.

Edited by BornAndRaised

Mike at Night: Updates on several 2023 defensive prospects

Mike Roach

("Akana is in the process of setting up an official visit to Austin for the fall.") 

Happy Season 3 GIF by The Good Place

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Updates on several 2023 defensive prospects

Mike Roach

— Texas saw one of its primary targets go off the board today when Colton Vasek committed to Oklahoma. While the Longhorns were able to make a push in Vasek's recruitment over the summer, it was never enough to take a clear lead. While the race seemed to be down to Texas and Oregon, a late visit to Oklahoma won him over. Vasek has been very open throughout the process that his admiration for Brent Venables was big. In fact, I was told had Venables remained at Clemson he'd have been committed there already. Does this mean it's over for Texas? Sources we speak with feel that the Longhorns will always have a slight opening in this recruitment, but flipping a kid from a rival is harder than any normal flip. I'm sure Texas won't back off and it will be interesting to see how that melds with Venables' no visit policy.

— With Braylan Shelby making a decision on August 6, it's getting tight for Texas with pass rushers. As of tonight, I've got USC edging Texas out for Shelby after a back-and-forth race all summer. Shelby really fell in love with Los Angeles when he went out there and his brother is currently playing for the Chargers. Hudson has a great feel for this race, and it's been as close as I can remember for any recruit. Some days it felt like Texas would win out, but USC has been able to hang around and stay in his mind. With the way it unfolded over the last month, it wouldn't be a total surprise if there was a swerve at the last minute. If Texas misses on Shelby, the focus will turn to two out-of-state prospects.

— The Longhorns hosted Lehi (Utah) Skyridge EDGE Tausili Akana on two occasions over the last year. Texas was focused on Shelby and Vasek with Akana still pretty open, but I'm told there's been more attention as of late with Steve Sarkisian involved. Akana is in the process of setting up an official visit to Austin for the fall. I spoke with Akana's father today who told me they don't have the date set yet, but I'd guess they will try to come for the Alabama game. Akana's sister transferred to Texas during the spring to play on the volleyball team, and Akana's father told me the option of the two going to school together is something that could help Texas. Akana is also friendly with Texas commit Liona Lefau, but there is no package deal there. If Akana makes it in for an official, Texas should establish itself as a strong contender with schools like Oklahoma and Oregon also involved.

— Venice (FL) EDGE Damon Wilson is a player we are working to gather more on. He's a composite five-star prospect, and I'm told that his interest in Texas is real enough at the moment. A big reason for that is Arch Manning. The five-star Texas quarterback commit has been talking with Wilson and has him interested enough to keep an eye on Texas. Wilson has already been to Alabama on an official and is looking at trips to Ohio State, Miami, Georgia and Texas. I need to see him get to campus before I'm ready to have any sort of optimism, but our guys in that region think he's fairly open.

— Football practice started in the state of Texas today harkening the return of the season in just a few weeks. That said, I still think Texas has a chance to add multiple prospects before the first game kicks off. In talking with sources, Derion Gullette, Cedric Baxter and Jordan Matthews are all players who could make the call before the year starts. Baxter is already locked in for August 10 and Gullette is planning to make a decision this week. I think Texas has a great shot to land all three and each would be a major win for this class.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Dr. Teeth said:

Amazing how Saban got people thinking his program is clean. 

Every recruiting cycle, I get so tired of his shit.  A completely new generation of "fans" have replaced those older/wiser to the shens he's able to get away with, so that nearly all of social media raves over Saban as some wizard of recruiting.

Yeahokay.gif, BoB is your OC/QB coach.

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

He's an Alabama kid, I certainly don't mind that Bama gets their top in-state talent, but stay the fuck out of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

It’s a dig.

Great players don’t get us anywhere without great coaches.

Texas will always recruit well enough to build a championship program with the right coaches. Picking the right coaches is hard. There’s the rub.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

I have quite a few friends here in Dallas who went to OU. My experience with aggy and OU alums, not t-shirt fans, is that the OU folks are generally a cooler bunch to hang out with than aggy.

I should fucking hope so.  I've got a buddy who's pretty advanced in the ag industry (KSU grad) and he says it's a cult all the way up. Apparently if you want to get in on the high level meetings, you'd better have someone on your team who can tap their idiotic ring on the table when the rest of them do it, or you're SOL.

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Great players don’t get us anywhere without great coaches.

Texas will always recruit well enough to build a championship program with the right coaches. Picking the right coaches is hard. There’s the rub.

Just call it a difference of opinion. Prior to the start of NIL, we hadn't recruited at a Blueblood level in a long time. Recruiting services are FOS, immoral, money making schemes.

Texas recruited like **** from the mid-80s until nearly the mid-90s for the same reasons.

This idea that Texas is some amazing recruiting machine is exaggerated.

There's very little that separates most of these coaches. Elite talent and depth are the biggest factors in winning games at a Blueblood. Good schemes, especially on offense, can help. Defense is typically about talent, although you can get too cute for your own good.

There's a long list of average coaches who've won national titles in college football. A very long list. They tend to buy the best players year after year. Two of the last three national championship coaches are no better, and maybe worse, than Tom Herman. But their administrations support paying the talent top dollar.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

…do you think Colton Vasek is getting a massive bag/NIL deal from anyone?

No, but he's probably going to make more money than he would at most of the "academic" schools, barring ND and maybe Michigan. 

My point isn't about Vasek. For kids who are going to get a comms, kinesiology, or similar type of degree, I think it's ridiculous to say they'd go to UVA or UCLA if they made smart decisions.